A wide open area of flat, grassy land and rocky trenches, supposedly a wide range of ancient civilizations once lived here. Species that like wide, open areas, such as Gyrophants, Serraptors, and Sahound, thrive here, though only the agile survive. (+3 Speed)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Vast Plains

Put the Kettle On [P, Duskie | M|E]

Postby Mousen » 02/17/2018 10:16 PM

If there was one good thing about Atlas, it was that he was good at running away from things. Generally that was enough to get him out of trouble, but there was only so far you could run, so fast you could go. There was always a chance something would give chase and maybe he wasn't as good as he used to be.

He'd headed as far away from the forests as he could. It had been... over a year since he'd come this way, dusty fields and cracked, dry earth stretching out for miles. It'd been sodden then, not so now. His pace was hurried, uneven, dodging the potholes. He carried a worn canvas bag on his back and a square instrument case over his shoulder, the case bumped against his hip as he walked. His hair was long, full of cotters, he looked like he hadn't shaved in days. He was pale underneath his freckles, and sporting a rather impressive black eye. He knew he looked like a frightened wild animal, felt like it too.

He couldn't keep up the pace, and stopped. He braced his hands on his knees, and then winced, moving instead to place a hand on his rib cage. The edges of tattoos were visible from underneath the cuffs of his coat. His breaths didn't seem to be enough to fill his lungs. "Fuck," he said, to no one in particular.

He kept going, stopping a few minutes later when the black spots hovering in front of his eyes threatened to obscure his vision entirely. "I'm going to die. Oh god. Okay. Okay. Right." He knew he couldn't stop, that each pause was another moment for them to catch up. He knew there was only so long he could keep going.

Atlas tried again, a little slower. The pace was better, but the dry ground still felt spongy and uneven beneath his feet. He was smart enough to spot a lost battle when he saw one. He needed help.

And as terrible as it was, he knew where to get it.

He'd never meant to come back, hadn't meant to go this way, except it was practical. He'd memorised it, knew it too well, he'd never stop-- He knew it well. What a selfish thing, what a cold-hearted bastard.

The path up to the farm house was well-maintained, a good and a bad sign. He paused there for a moment,, listening on the wind, but there was little other than the rustle of grasses. In the distance there the sound of an owl out on her evening hunt. Good.

Atlas walked up to the door, and hating himself for it, knocked. He pulled his accordion case to the side and sat on it, knowing if he sat down on the floor there was a good chance he wouldn't be able to get back up.

We’re all hysterical & going nowhere together.

C’mon rapture. Let’s go bedazzling.

Nothing gets futured without its own spitshine
& I’m already not not not not not not miraculous.

Mousen
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Keystones: 160
Donate
Status: Jack of all trades is master of none, but better than a Master's degree.

Re: Put the Kettle On [P, Duskie | M ]

Postby MythicDusk » 02/17/2018 11:01 PM

Rexus moved quietly, as he always did. He carefully opened the door, his notebook in one hand, a pencil shoved behind his ear. 'Not Interested' already scrawled across the open page.

He glanced around for a moment, before looking down, and seeing...

Atlas.

He felt his now wrinkle up, felt his hands clench and the incredible urge to slam the door. This man ran out without a word so long ago. It made him sick with worry. He wanted to barr him from the house again, but Freyja would have his head, so instead he grossed his arms over his broad chest and beat an angry tempo against his upper arm.

After a moment, he waved a hand to Atlas, in a gesture of 'well?' Just because he was angry, just because he wanted to slam the door, just because he was pained so much, didn't mean he was going to just. Leave a man to die on his doorstep. So, instead, he put on the sourest face he had, now rapidly tapping his foot along with his fingers on his bicep.

I want it to be you, ooh
Diving into my ocean
A brand new emotion come true, ooh
Don't let this night, don't let this night go

How long 'til you play me the song
That will make me belong to you?
One dance with my baby tonight
And we'll dance 'til the night is through

Jax Jones ft. Years & Years - Play

Zoo Pen
MythicDusk
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Pets | Items
Keystones: 425
Donate

Postby Mousen » 02/18/2018 5:15 AM

When Rexus opened the door, and Atlas saw him stood there, he winced. He knew the pain he'd caused, he just  didn't want to see it writ large on the other man's face. He forced himself to meet Rexus's gaze and he let out a shaky breath. He felt like someone had set his spine on fire, a nebulous force of feeling he didn't have the energy to untangle.

When it was clear that the other man wasn't going to slam the door, Atlas spoke. "I'm such an idiot, I'm sorry. Nothing is going to make this better and I'm sorry about that too," he paused to catch his breath. "I'm in a lot of trouble, Rexus. I know I don't deserve it, but I-- I really need your help."

Somewhere in the distance there was the barking of dogs, and for a moment a look of absolute terror came into Atlas' eyes. "I don't have anything left in me to explain with, but I will. Please. Please."

He stood up awkwardly, slowly, again pressing a hand against his side. "I really don't want to die tonight."

Mousen
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate
Status: Jack of all trades is master of none, but better than a Master's degree.

Postby MythicDusk » 02/18/2018 1:17 PM

All the anger, all the hurt bled from Rexus' face, along with his blood. Leaving his biolune markings pale and dim. He moved to a side, quickly motioning for Atlas to step inside, his arms bunched and his eyes watching the dark.

A snarl was already curling his lips, he could feel the hair on the back of his neck standing on end, he could feel his want, his need to take on his bestial form, to be true to his role as guard dog. It was why he was here, it was why Freyja needed him, it was why Atlas needed him.

He stepped on to the doorstep, just past Atlas, making himself a dam, a blockage of muscle and anger. He was still angry at Atlas. Nothing was going to change that but time. Time and effort. But right now, right at this moment, he could at least take his anger out on whatever was hunting this man.

I want it to be you, ooh
Diving into my ocean

Zoo Pen
MythicDusk
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Mousen » 02/18/2018 1:44 PM

As Rexus moved to stand behind him, Atlas couldn't have been more grateful. He looked behind him to Rexus, not having the energy to say much but he mouthed the words, the look on his face was enough to communicate his meaning. He picked up his accordion case by the smaller handle, keeping it a few inches off of the ground, and stepped inside. The moment he was inside the house, with its many years of occupation, with the daily rituals that had been used to make it safe, over and over again (the lock on the door was an old iron one, too), he knew nothing was going to come for him tonight.

He dropped his bags just inside the door, struggling a little with the movement to swing the backpack from his shoulders. That hurt, but it didn't matter. He was safe now, thank god, thank Rexus, he was safe. He was sure he was shaking, the transition from his dangerous situation to this one was doing its best to screw him over. He didn't really care about that, either.

He managed to scrub the worst of the mud from his boots, there was no way he was managing to take them off while standing up. He moved into the little living room he remembered, the low fire keeping the room warm.

Atlas didn't so much sit down on one of the sofas as fall slowly backwards onto it. "Sorry. Being a terrible house guest. I'll make it up to you, later." His head lolled back a little, he closed his eyes and breathed. "Fuck," he said. "Do you want my explanation now? Or? I'm all right, I should say. Sorry. I mean, if you wanna know I'm not dying or anything, just." He was aware he was babbling, and felt a bit bad for Rexus having to decipher him. He opened an eye to glance at him, looking for an expression, a bit of body language to go off.

"It was all my own fault. Again." His voice was cracking a little. He needed a tall glass of water and the strongest pain killers he could find, but for now the sofa would do. He didn't dare impinge on Rexus' hospitality more than already was.

Mousen
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MythicDusk » 02/18/2018 1:51 PM

Rexus was silent, as he always was. Locking the door, double-checking it, flicking on the outside light to keep watch. He quietly padded into the living room, clicking his tongue against the roof of his mouth at the sight of the boots, and he knelt down to remove them. Moving slowly, carefully, he untied and removed his boots, walking to the hall to place them carefully by the door, checking out the window once again with a dark expression.

He then signed something to Atlas, before halting and sighing, grabbing the pad of paper and pen he always used. He carefully sat besides Atlas, his pen hovering over the pad of paper before he scrawled two simple sentences.

'It's okay. I don't need to know.'

I want it to be you, ooh
Diving into my ocean

Zoo Pen
MythicDusk
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Mousen » 02/18/2018 2:49 PM

Atlas was about to protest, he sat up a little, and then realising it was a bad idea for multiple reasons gave up. "Sorry," he said softly. He caught a bit of sign out of the corner of his eye, but couldn't follow it. He knew a tiny bit here and there, but he couldn't keep up.

'It's okay. I don't need to know.'

Alas nodded, half closing his eyes. "You still deserve some explanation. I didn't mean for this. I just- There was-- The Hunt. I don't think they'll try and come for me tonight. Not now I'm here. Thank you."

He moved to take off his coat, gingerly. In the half light of the fire, it now became clear how scratched up Atlas was. His duster jacket was covered in mud at the hems, there was a tear at the shoulder. His jeans were ripped too, grazes on both his knees and hands. His hair was lank, knotted. His face was a picture of exhaustion.

Mousen
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MythicDusk » 02/18/2018 3:06 PM

Rexus frowned at the injuries, his palms itching to grab the first aid kit and treat them.

'Do you have any deeper wounds?'

He wrote carefully on the page, holding it up for Atlas, his eyebrows arced in worry. He slowly stood, moving over to his favorite seat, grabbing the blanket he had wrapped up in and gently, carefully wrapping it around Atlas, kneeling before the fire to stoke it into vibrancy.

He couldn't stop his hands from shaking.

I want it to be you, ooh
Diving into my ocean

Zoo Pen
MythicDusk
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Mousen » 02/18/2018 3:23 PM

Again, his eyes flickered open to read the page as it was presented to him. It was lucky Rexus wrote nice and large, his glasses were cracked, tucked away in some pocket of his coat or at the bottom of his rucksack. He was aware of what this was doing to Rexus, and hated himself for it. He was too kind to take on Atlas' suffering.

"Couple of fractured ribs, at least. Down one side. A bite on the same side from one of the hounds, but I managed to clear that up. It wasn't as deep as I thought." It had been just playing with him. Both the lackey that had caught him and the hound. It was a common enough tactic: wound enough to slow down, and enjoy a hunt that takes place at a leisurely pace. Of course, with new methods of transport, Atlas found himself able to get much further than they would have originally given him credit for.

"Just bruises, otherwise," he pointed to the black eye. The swelling wasn't as bad as it had been days ago at all but. "I wouldn't say no to whatever painkillers you have."

He shifted again as the blanket was placed around his shoulders, forcing himself to sit up. "Listen, Rexus. It was my own fault. I went back to my people without following all their rules. It was stupid. I'm stupid. Don't be upset on my account."

Mousen
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MythicDusk » 02/18/2018 3:42 PM

How could he not be upset? How could he not be practically terrified? How could he not want to just curl around the smaller man and keep him safe?

Rexus took in a shaky breath, trying to hide his movements to wipe away his tears. Once the fire was blazing comfortably he padded into the kitchen, returning after a moment with a first aid kit and a large glass of water.

He carefully placed the glass of water beside Atlas, sitting next to him he opened the kit, pulling out a bottle of painkillers sheepishly and handing them to him before retrieving what he would need to treat Atlas' wounds.

For a moment, he felt his breath hitch, his hands still shaking, tears still threataning before he bowed his head, trying to hide his wet eyes.

I want it to be you, ooh
Diving into my ocean

Zoo Pen
MythicDusk
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Mousen » 02/18/2018 4:07 PM

He took the water, relishing the cool feeling in his hands. He took a small sip, careful not to choke. If he coughed hard enough he was liable to turn one of those damned fractures into a break. Atlas took the bottle, looking for the maximum dose. His vision was a little hazy, but he made it out. Has Rexus not been there, hovering over him (again) like a worried mother hen he'd have sneaked an extra one, but alas. He took two.

Atlas, aches and pains aside, was just about awake to notice he sound of Rexus' uneven breath. He felt his stomach drop through to the floor. What had be brought to this house? And to the most gentle man he'd ever met?

He took another gulp of water and set it on the side, using his good arm to prop himself up. He leaned towards Rexus, and knowing he might be making a mistake, rested the other gently on his shoulder. "I'm so sorry, Rex. Please, it was just me being stupid. Be mad at me instead, please."

He paused, taking a breath. God, he remembered the days back when breathing as a comfortable thing to do. "They'll lose interest in me eventually. I only broke a couple of rules." Maybe.

Mousen
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MythicDusk » 02/18/2018 4:16 PM

Casting the medical supplies to a side, Rexus shook his head vigirously, his arms wrapping carefully around Atlas, his head bowed and breath coming sharp on the back of Atlas' neck. He needed to calm the heavy thrumming in his chest. He needed to treat the wounds. He needed to not care so much.

And yet, here he was, his shoulders shaking with sobs of pain, worry, anger, all of the emotions that had build up and welled up about Atlas since he left. He curled an arm, tangling his fingers into Atlas' hair, trying to hold him as close as he could get.

I want it to be you, ooh
Diving into my ocean

Zoo Pen
MythicDusk
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Mousen » 02/18/2018 4:33 PM

He hadn't realised Rexus was coming apart until it was too late. He shifted, making a small pained noise, but he leaned closer into him. He hadn't realised, or maybe he'd had and done it anyway and what was worse? If he thought about it now, he'd come undone, he pushed it down. Atlas let himself be held, the arm that wasn't supporting him, moved to stroke Rexus' hair. "Shhh. It's okay. I'm not worth this, I'm really not. You're so much better and kinder, shh. I'm just-" an Idiot, idiot, idiot. Stop.

Physically and mentally, Atlas was spent, Rexus was the only thing keeping him upright. "It wasn't you. It was never your fault. Please. Know that much. It was just- I'm really good at fucking things up. Please be okay. Please." He pressed his face into his neck. "This is the wrong time, and it'll sound shitty and manipulative and I'm sorry. I don't think I'll ever be over how badly I fucked up when I walked out." His words were a little slurred, just from tiredness. He moved to look at Rexus, and the damaged he'd done, but couldn't meet his face, even blurred in Atlas' eyes. He pressed their foreheads together instead.

Mousen
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MythicDusk » 02/18/2018 5:01 PM

Rexus felt sobs continue thrumming in his throat, his hands shaking as he moved one to touch Atlas' chin, pressing a soft, sob-infused kiss to his lips, his hand moving from Atlas' chin to begin writing letters on the cood side of his chest. His hands shaking still, tears still leaking from his closed eyes as his hand moved.

And in stuttered, shaking letters was just 'I-M-I-S-S-E-D-Y-O-U' drawn on Atlas' chest, over and over again. Eventually, he just placed a hand flat against Atlas' chest, breaking the kiss as he bared his teeth in a pained sob, carefully still resting his forehead against Atlas'.

I want it to be you, ooh
Diving into my ocean

Zoo Pen
MythicDusk
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Mousen » 02/18/2018 5:24 PM

Atlas kissed him. He hadn't meant for this to get so messy so quickly, he was heartsick. The burning in his spine was a desperate overwhelming shame, the world shrunk down to his wrong doings, dancing in patterns across his head and the feeling of Rexus' lips on his, the taste of his tears in his mouth. The world had collapsed somewhere between Rexus opening the door and now.  If there was a way to survive his, he didn't want it.

It took him to long to make the letters make sense. But when they did, finally click Atlas wished hr could dissapear, not like last time. It would be better to have just never have existed at all. He felt his throat close up, tried to swallow the tears down and they stuck. He felt his breath hitch in a way that sent sparks of pain through his chest. He couldn't cry. Shit. Shit. He couldn't breathe. His hand curled tight around Rexus' shoulder.He counted the seconds until the burning in his lungs matched everything else, and then he exhaled.

If he spoke he was going to crack, literally and metaphorically. He reached for the pen and paper on the arm of the sofa, but couldn't quite get it. He sucked in the air through his teeth  what he wouldn't have given for morphine and a half bottle of whisky. "Rexus, I--" his voice shook, he couldn't do it. He shook his head, holding his breath, eyes screwed shut. The world had ended, he was sure.

Mousen
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Next