A wide open area of flat, grassy land and rocky trenches, supposedly a wide range of ancient civilizations once lived here. Species that like wide, open areas, such as Gyrophants, Serraptors, and Sahound, thrive here, though only the agile survive. (+3 Speed)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Vast Plains

:. One Deal For Another [P|E]

Postby Jaykobell » 07/04/2018 11:56 PM

The mist rolled over the world of Evelon at a steady rate. Explorers and scientists alike were gathering all around the continents to investigate this phenomenon. For the vast majority, this had never been seen before. It was a complete mystery, and it instilled fear in the hearts of many.

For select others, this was nothing new. It was something that had always existed, but on a much smaller scale. It was something that had been researched by a select few, and something that proved to have a lot of potential.
ImageImage
The two scientists walked along the edge of the mist. They had seen this before: they had spent a part of their time researching this curious occurrence, way back when. While not their main focus, one of their fellow partners had spent a long time learning about this mist.

Or, rather, their former partner. More accurately, their now enemy.

One of the two scientists hummed passively as he observed the mist from a glance. "Didn't think we'd see this again," he mused, turning to look at the fog. "Or not on this scale, anyway. It was so rare and contained, back then." The other scientist remained quiet. "At least the majority of the work is already done. Guess Dio was right to research this thing."

The name inspired a reaction right away from the other man; a small, short noise full of disdain. "Mention that name again, Dunstan," he threatened, "and I'll throw you right into that fog." There was no hint of playfulness or teasing in his voice. And if that fog turned out to be toxic? He couldn't care less.

Very much used to this type of behavior, the other scientist shrugged, slipping his hands in his pockets. "Go right ahead, Carey," he said for an answer. "According to his notes, it's harmless." In small quantities, anyway. Who knew what would happen if anyone fell into the mist or inhaled too much of it.

After hearing another groan from his partner, Dunstan went on to ask, "Why are we even here, anyway?"

Unbeknownst to Dunstan, considering Maverick was looking ahead, the scientist frowned and rolled his eyes. "You literally just said it," he pointed out, but expecting the other to ask for clarification, he explained, "This was his primary research. With it everywhere, he'll get the itch to investigate it. He'll slip." And that's all the two of them needed. For their former partner to slip up and show himself in the open.

"We just have to wait," Maverick said, and his frown turned into a grin. A slow plan, but one that could prove to finally lead them to what they had lost.

If they couldn't find their target, they just had to wait until the target found them.
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Keystones: 4511
Donate

Re: :. One Deal For Another [P|E]

Postby Saahs » 07/05/2018 1:55 PM

There was a form of relief that came with being assigned to a mission different from all the rest she'd gone on so far. There was no tracking, no killing or searching. Simply observing. And Zornai'ro liked that.

But it mattered not, what she liked or didn't like. She was here to do her job, and her opinion on her job was unimportant; so long as she did it efficiently, everything else was not a concern of her superiors. Mostly. She imagined that the wouldn't be too happy to hear if she dallied or took it upon herself to do other things while in the middle of her task, but there was no sense of static anywhere, so she felt it would be safe to at least think to herself while she inspected this strange, intriguing fog.

It was normal for Hunters to work alone, but this time, she found it strange that she was sent out alone. Wouldn't extra eyes to pick up on different things be of more help? Or perhaps they didn't want to waste multiple Hunters should this mist prove to be dangerous.

Which meant she was the lamb for the slaughter in the Vlor Hiar's eyes.

Zornai'ro had devoted her life to the cause, ever since she'd been taken away from Medicai City. And while a part of her was more than proud to sacrifice herself for her people... another part of her was furious at that notion.

But what she felt was, also, unimportant. Especially when she could hear distant voices approaching. Her head lifted some, and before she could take another step and make her presence known (or more known, if they had noticed her already), she pulled her hands away from her chest as if dragging something stubborn away from herself, and her form dissipated into black smoke which mingled with the mist around her.

Slowly, she crept closer to the pair, keeping her distance for the time being until she knew for sure what they were doing out here.

Hrm... scientists. The lot of them were always on the border of lunacy, as far as she was aware. But useful. Perhaps they knew something about this mist that she could benefit from?

Zornai'ro shifted away from the two, far enough that she could transform back into her ordinary human shape, and turned out from behind a tree and into their view. "Hello, gentlemen. I see the mist has drawn others out with a bit of curiosity tied to a string."
when that light goes out this eve,
some will run, and some will grieve.

if you have a reason, or if you believe,
in darkness we trust.

the whores and gentlemen, they lead,
trails of insecurities.

i am not a watchman, i do as i please.

in darkness i trust.

About/Journal | Zoo Pen | Documents | Wishlist
Saahs
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer
Pets | Items
Keystones: 1122
Donate

[2][2]

Postby Jaykobell » 07/05/2018 2:35 PM

The walk along the mist was a boring one. This would be a game of nerves, of who would snap first. It was important for them to remain on track, and to keep their eyes peeled for any signs of-

At a certain point, Dunstan stopped in his tracks. Human as he may be, they had grown used to feeling the presence of others. A piercing gaze was often enough to trigger a sense of unease, and that was exactly what he had felt. He did a sharp turn to look behind them, eyes scanning the plains.

Hearing the movement behind him, Maverick stopped, and he glanced over his shoulder. "What's your problem?" he groaned.

Nothing. Perhaps it had been his imagination, motivated by the prospect of catching the one thing that could lead them to their perfect specimen. "Nothing," Dunstan replied with a shake of his head and a small shrug. "Thought I'd felt something staring at us. S'fine," he explained as he turned back around.

"Humph," Maverick said, but he added nothing more. A little bit annoying, but nothing to harp on.

Or, perhaps, Dunstan hadn't been that wrong, after all. Upon his turning back around, Maverick noticed a stranger approaching them from a nearby tree, speaking words of the mist.

The situation called for them to be careful. A strange may prove to either be a foe... or a tool. "Why, hello," Maverick greeted in return, a smile crossing his face, and a hand briefly running through his short, neat black hair. A bit stockier and shorter than Dunstan, who easily went over six feet tall, Maverick cupped his hands together as he tilted his head at the newcomer. "Come here to investigate as well, I take it? A strange phenomenon, this is." He paused for a moment before adding, "Have you seen this before? Do you know anything about it, perhaps?"

Dunstan remained silent, staring at the newcomer, hands in his pockets still. Maverick was the leader; Dunstan was here to watch, listen, and do as he was told.
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Saahs » 07/06/2018 12:59 PM

Zornai'ro hummed, pulling the masked hood down from her face and letting her silvery hair curtain the sides of her face as she peered at the mist. She was a small woman, though perhaps only in height as she bore a wider figure of both muscle and some girth. But she was strong, she was swift, she was clever; and that was why she had been chosen to become a Hunter. "Well," she breathed, "I have seen mist like this before, it's rather similar to the magic my people use."

She looked back up at the pair, a curious smile on her oval features. "I take it this is new to you two?" She had certainly eavesdropped on their conversation, but she was there to get as much information as possible, and this was a prime opportunity to do so. "It could be possible, that this mist and my people's, stem from a similar source, but I would have to do some research on the matter-- and that's not entirely my current task."

in darkness we trust.

trails of insecurities.

in darkness i trust.

Saahs
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

[3][3]

Postby Jaykobell » 07/06/2018 3:10 PM

The mention of magic did not fall on deaf ears. If anything, that was a detail that Maverick was definitely going to keep in mind.

The more she spoke, the more this conversation turned into intrigue. Certainly, perhaps this woman could be of some help to Maverick and Dunstan, if they played their cards right.

"Oh, we have an extensive research on this mist, to be truthful," Maverick admitted, a statement that would have surprised Dunstan were it not for the fact this wasn't Maverick's research. Giving away someone else's work didn't have the same weight as giving away your own work, after all. "While our research was focused on but a small sample, years of research were done on this phenomenon."

"What might your task be, if not to focus on investigating this mist; if I may ask?" he inquired, trying to strike a friendly conversation with this woman. If they could start this interaction on the right foot, perhaps they would be able to find a use for her, yet. That would depend on her answers too, of course; but one thing at a time.
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Saahs » 07/08/2018 1:09 PM

Zornai'ro didn't have to look between the two to be able to tell who out of the pair was in charge. She also didn't have to look between them to tell that they were looking for an opportunity just as much as she was. Very well, three could play at this game. So long as what she gained would be substantial information to return to the others with, she was willing to be tugged around and tug back a little.

"I see, so this mist has existed before all this," she concluded, tipping her head to one side. "That's rather intriguing. I only wonder more, now, how similar it is to my own."

She shook her head, dismissing the thought. "As for your question, I am here simply to observe. Not interact, not intervene, just observe. Dull, I'm aware, but for now that is all I am charged with." Taking in a breath, she sighed. "Though I admit to wanting to know more than what I can gather simply from observing. There is only so much you can gain when all you do is watch."

in darkness we trust.

trails of insecurities.

in darkness i trust.

Saahs
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

[4][2]

Postby Jaykobell » 07/08/2018 6:21 PM

"Oh, indeed," Maverick confirmed upon the mist having existed long before now. "I'm also afraid you are correct: observing it will bring you little knowledge of it," he added with a shake of his head. "While it may change shapes and move about in a sort of hypnotizing way, it's definitely not what's interesting about it."

He paused for a short moment, considering his options. "You spoke of 'your people' before, as well as magic," he pointed out. "Are you part of a research group, or something like that?" Whatever research they had on this mist wasn't even theirs. If giving it away could net Maverick and Dunstan something, it was worth asking.
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Saahs » 07/25/2018 9:56 AM

"That's what I thought," Zornai'ro said, arms folded over her chest. So, her sect of Vlor Hiar had sent her on a truly pointless mission. Were there other Hunters running about, now? On the same useless quest to just watch the mist when something far more helpful, far more interesting, was right under their noses? Or was that what the more wanted Hunters were investigating? Damn the entire sect, but damn the Heir and Vlor'ov most of all.

Despite her rueful thoughts, Zornai'ro put on a smile. "Indeed, so I did. I am a part of, really, a number of things, all in one lovely little gathering. Research is but one aspect of our purpose." It was far from a lie, but far from the truth as well. The Vlor Hiar didn't study everything, only things that they thought would benefit their cause. And most of that research was done on Vessels and Heirs, so it hardly branched out all that often. But did these two need to know that? Of course not.

in darkness we trust.

trails of insecurities.

in darkness i trust.

Saahs
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

[5][2]

Postby Jaykobell » 07/29/2018 1:56 AM

That hadn't been the answer Maverick had been hoping for: he had hoped for something more... substantial. Still, perhaps they could work out a deal despite that. "Research, eh?" he repeated, putting his attention on that one specific word. "By any chance, do you partake in..." My, how could he word this in a nice way?

"Long story short," he continued after a short pause, "my partner and I are looking for someone. He ran away with our 'research', as it were." If this group partook in research, then maybe they would happen to know something of value for their purpose. "Perhaps you might have encountered what we're looking for? We'd be interested in some exchange of information, if so."

[Event posts end here]
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate