A wide open area of flat, grassy land and rocky trenches, supposedly a wide range of ancient civilizations once lived here. Species that like wide, open areas, such as Gyrophants, Serraptors, and Sahound, thrive here, though only the agile survive. (+3 Speed)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Vast Plains

Ghosts In The Night (dead)

Postby Kitsune_Beauty » 11/16/2008 4:37 PM

ImageImage

ImageImage

The plains seemed to shimmer with a pale light. A full moon hung solemly in the sky above, a mere bulb in a sea of stars. For miles the only sound was that of a cool, gentle breeze making waves in the long, soft grass. Winter's voice carried on the wind's breath. She wasn't far now.

There was a rather eerie feeling sweeping across the plains, as well. Like some lost and lonely spirit seeking peace in the rolling hills. The faint sound of ghostly hoofbeats followed by clearer barks and yaps broke the utter silence as a lone biolune albie drove a small herd of Kasuga in a run. "Oi, I hate being alone at night with these beasts..." the albie muttered as he swerved around to bring the herd to a stop. Lumos was the night gaurd canine at Eagle Eye Ranch, and Vylor had entrusted him to go work the Kasuga tonight.

The blood was named Shudo, the battlefield Katika, and the cursed was Narrah. Narrah wandered up onto a hill overlooking the other two. Apparently she had at one point proclaimed herself leader. Shudo and Katika were indifferent to her as they lowered their bony heads in a grazing fashion. Lumos sat on his haunches, keeping a close eye on all three, especially Narrah. The cursed already had a reputation for pulling vanishing acts at the farm. "If only you knew how creepy you really were." Lumos thought to himself as he fought to smooth his standing fur.
How can you see into my eyes like open doors,
Leading you down into my core where I've become so numb,
Without a soul my spirit's sleeping somewhere cold,
Until you find it there and lead it back home...

Kirk Grimm
Kitsune_Beauty
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer
Pets | Items
Keystones: 561
Donate

Postby Kitsune_Beauty » 11/21/2008 11:37 AM

After a wile, Lumos turned his eyes to the moon to check the time. It had to be around 1:00 a.m. A cool breeze cascaded through the albie's glowing fur, casting dancing colors around the area he sat. He curled his tail tighter around his feet and watched as the cold didn't seem to phase the herd in front of him. They still went about their business "grazing", oblivious to the wind going through their skulls.

Shudo must have noticed the grass moving. Oh, the wind is blowing. The spiritual creature went to Katika and nudged her, then they leaned against each other as they tried to warm up their nerveless bodies. Lumos watched and shook his head in amusement. "Either these creatures are naturally stupid, or they think seeing is feeling." Narrah must have noticed the insult, as she emitted a chilling bray and moved in front of her tiny herd. Lumos stood up and shook himself, preparing another run.

Kirk Grimm
Kitsune_Beauty
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Kitsune_Beauty » 11/22/2008 2:20 PM

ImageImage

An odd pair on a simple moonlit winter night. You'd think Roosken would be asleep at this hour, not to mention the Treasure albie that let the bird ride on its back. The albie was named Rapshir, and the roosken was Lime Jello, or just Jello for short. "So." Jello started, perched on the gold-colored canine's back. "Why weren't you asleep? Isn't yer shift in the daytime?" Jello's slight farm accent wasn't quite as thick as Vylor's, but it was still noticeable. "I'm not used to not seeing Lumos's glow patrolling at night." Rapshir replied. "Beo still goes on about the "pretty yonyuu" him and Vylor met out here. Finally got him to go to sleep." The albie heard a slight chuckle and felt Jello shift slightly. "Pup has a crush. Poor boy hasn't been out in a wile." "Your one to talk." Rapshir said, "You've never been out."

Rapshir's ears went up suddenly as a cold chill streaked down his spine. Jello stiffened and ruffled his feathers. "Feel that?" the bird asked. Rapshir nodded. "What did Vylor have him do tonight?" the albie asked. He'd been off with the aries at the time. "Heard 'im say something about working the kasuga fer the winter harvest." Jello clucked, relaxing a bit. Sure enough, barks and eerie hoofbeats rolled across the plains not far away. "Looks like we found where Lumos went. Hold on." Rapshir felt Jello carefully grip his back with his talons, then the canine took off, following the barks of his co-worker.

Kirk Grimm
Kitsune_Beauty
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby echolisp » 11/22/2008 11:44 PM

[center]Image
Only a few hundred meters away, Chikura huddled miserably in her makeshift bed of dried brush, most of it ensnarled in her luminous white fur. The plain's dark shadows made it hard to navigate in the night, where the searchers couldn't find her, and her tired eyes often played tricks on her, erasing large structures and revealing mirages of sanctuary where there were not. She shivered when she heard the bone-chilling barks and hoofbeats beating across the vast land. Hopefully, the clockwork and battlefield Garudors that had been  sent to catch her had not been replaced by more adept land animals like Albies and Cavallions.

Then, the sounds abruptly stopped, and she gouged that they were not far from her hiding spot. She peeked over the top of the haphazardly stacked grass, and was suddenly met with the rather large structure of the Eagle Eye Ranch. The bleached Leebra rubbed her eyes tiredly, unwilling to believe. The dark twilight was only illuminated by a slim sliver of moon, a perfect night to cover some ground, and quickly. Chikura decided to take the shortest route from her spot to the Roraldi Forests. And that would mean going through the not-really-a-ranch-but-a-illusion-ranch. She piled as much hay as she could on herself, where it immediately attached to her long mane, and got to her feet, ready to trek.
echolisp
Beginner
Beginner
Pets | Items
Keystones: 130
Donate

Postby Kitsune_Beauty » 11/23/2008 8:59 PM

Lumos was quite surprised to see Rapshir trotting up as he brought the kasuga to a stop. "What are you doing up this late?" the glowing canine asked, a living nightlight in the darkness. "Couldn't sleep without a guard up." the treasure said, turning his side to show Lumos his tag-along. "Evenin'." Jello chirped cheerfully. Lumos's eyebrows raised. "Rapshir was surprise enough. Roosken are definantly supposed to be asleep now." "Couldn't sleep 'neither." The biolune brought a paw to his forehead. "What did you guys do before Vylor brought me to the farm? Sleep with one eye open?"

Narrah suddenly began shaking her horns, her curse mark clacking against her hollow skull. She seemed to be watching something. A mysterious moving pile of grass. Of course she couldn't smell, so the creature took it as a threat. Lumos growled warningly at her, and Narrah stamped her hooves in reply. Rapshir had his nose in the air, sniffing intently. "Smell somethin', Boss?" Jello asked, looking around. "Yep. Poor thing is scared to death, too."

"Lumos, your the bright one. I'll watch these three, you go talk to whatever's sneaking around over there." Lumos nodded and turned to the moving grass, sniffing cautiously. He was used to warding off nocturnal dangers, so if this did turn out to be unfriendly, he could handle it. "Hey, who's there?" he stated, keeping a suspicious eye on the concealed creature. The albie slowly drew close and nosed off a bit of the grass, reveiling a frightened leebra. "Hey there, miss. You gave Narrah a bit of a startle." Lumos flicked his tail a bit, increasing his glow. "You don't need to be afraid. I'm Lumos. My boss over there is Rapshir, and his little tag-along is Jello. The kasuga won't hurt ya. What's your name, miss?"

Kirk Grimm
Kitsune_Beauty
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby echolisp » 11/23/2008 9:15 PM

Chikura almost had a heart attack when her covering was lifted right off of her by a glowing albie and company. She stuttered, "I-I-I'm uhh...". Quickly thinking of an alibi and a pseudonym, she blurted out: "The name's Hollina, of the Roraldi Forests, sir." She stood up quickly, the light from the albie was blinding to her eyes, and she needed to see her options if she needed an escape plan. "I was out for a night trek, and sort of got lost in these crazy plains," she explained. "Oh for goddesses sakes, this grass is really tangly. So, uh, where ya'll from?"
echolisp
Beginner
Beginner
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Kitsune_Beauty » 11/23/2008 9:23 PM

Rapshir padded over as the Leebra began to speak. He watched her suspiciously, as she seemed very shifty. Jello was the one to answer her question. "We're from Eagle Eye Ranch, ma'am." Rapshir tossed his head as Jello attempted to sit on it. "Mah name's Lime Jello, but just Jello'l do just fine." The bird's farm toung showed rather thickly in his last few sentences. "And I'm Rapshir, if Lumos here didn't already tell you." "I'm the night gaurd back at the ranch, but my boss had me take the kasuga out and work them for the winter harvest. These chikens can't sleep without me around." At the 'chicken' remark, Jello bawked offended. "Speaking of which, who's watching Narrah?!" Lumos spun around and darted back to where Rapshir had left the kasuga alone. Sure enough, Narrah had wandered off. "Ohhh great. It's hard enough finding her back home. Why the sam-hill did you leave her alone, Boss?!" Rapshir only grinned sheepishly. "Heeey Hollina, was it? Mind helping us track our little ghost?" the treasure asked the leebra, forgetting that he'd been suspicious of her false name.

Kirk Grimm
Kitsune_Beauty
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby echolisp » 11/23/2008 9:54 PM

Chikura was a bit surprised that they accepted her story so easily, and even more so when they decided to include her in the search for the kasuga. But she had noticed that the leader, Rapshir, was slightly suspicious, so the leebra decided to remain casual and help them. "All right, sure. Umm... which way do ya think it went? I mean, these plains are really HUGE and unless you know it well enough, you would get lost. But, on the other hand we've only been talking for a few minutes, the little thing couldn't have gone far, and besides, its all glowy." She was rambling, but she couldn't help it. The adrenaline from her fight-and-flight scare had rendered her helpless to her silly notions. She turned in circles, scanning the the horizons for a glow.
echolisp
Beginner
Beginner
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Kitsune_Beauty » 11/24/2008 4:09 PM

Shifty. Very shifty. Rapshir wanted to confront her right now, but he knew finding Vylor's kasuga was more important. "Make sure the other two don't get loose." he said to his glowing companion. He trotted over to where Narrah stood moments before and put his nose to the ground. It was quite a bit harder to pick up the scent of a being that was mostly spiritual, but none the less Rapshir maneged to pick up something. Jello gripped the albie's back as he began trotting after the scent.

Lumos circled around and yapped to get Shudo and Katika moving. They came to attention and matched the pace of the two canines, watching the newcomer curiously. Unlike Narrah, they didn't take a hostile stance toward the leebra. The biolune kept a close eye on the quieter herd members, despite the fact they never dissapeared like Narrah did.

Jello turned to the leebra, a bit bored. "Sho, what part of Roraldi are yall from, mish?" The roosken whistled lightly on his 's' sounds. "I myshelf came from the Slums. Ol' boys shellin' me on the black market. Vylor wash goin' through lookin' fer abused pets and he found me and Bo. Bo's a treasure roosken. Prolly ashleep by now."

Kirk Grimm
Kitsune_Beauty
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby echolisp » 11/25/2008 9:03 PM

Oh, dang, Chikura thought. She hadn't placed his accent as Roraldian (which it was probably not), and besides, she knew next to nothing about the communities of the Roraldi Forests. "Umm.... y'see, I lived in this hostel that was isolated from the rest of the communities in the Ror's. It wasn't anything but the hostel, the trees, and the inhabitants." It was partly true, but still the most genuine thing she'd said all night. Chiku was partly angry at herself for her tentative statements, for she had trained herself so well to remain calm and inconspicious in moments like these. The many days wandering the plains had taken a toll on her.

But no matter, she had to find out more about these people's backgrounds, just like her training dictated.
"So... you guys have a ranch or something out here? Or are you...wandering nomads?" She winced slightly at the last one, remembering the last time she had encountered wandering nomads, who were not the peaceful sort of people.
echolisp
Beginner
Beginner
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Kitsune_Beauty » 11/25/2008 9:56 PM

"The ranch isn't near here." Lumos called, urging the kasuga up a bit further. "It's back in Barakka." Shudo and Katika froze suddenly, their heads up. Lumos and Rapshir watched them closely, and tried to figure out what they saw. Were they seeing anything? Did they feel something? They both turned their skulls upward and emitted and eerie, yet somehow sad call that sounded like that of a caribou. The call resounded in their skulls before coming out and rolling across the plains. They waited a moment, still gazing out into the dark. A few minutes later, an answering call was heard. A distress call. Shudo and Katika took off, urgent to rescue their friend.

Lumos and Rapshir exchanged glances before taking off after them. "What were they doing? They can't hear!" Rapshir yapped, matching Lumos's pace. "I don't know. Maybe they felt the vibrations from the call." Unfortunatly, Rapshir didn't notice the fact that Jello had flown from his back in the take off. The roosken looked at "Hollina" for a moment before awkwardly fluttering onto her back. "Ya gotta catch up with Bossh! Please! Run, go, move!" Jello knew that things roamed the plains at night. Things that were more than likley hungry and wouldn't mind a fresh Roosken as a meal.

Kirk Grimm
Kitsune_Beauty
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby echolisp » 11/26/2008 12:49 AM

Chikura stared at the retreating backs of Lumos and Rapshir; momentarily stunned. Then, she felt the heaviness on her back from the Roosken and heard his frantic calls. Her fight-and-flight reactions told her to run, run as fast as the wind. Her training had called for physical feats as well, and she had ran with heavier things than a roosken on her back and legs, with good speed too.  She gritted her teeth before muttering, "Hold on tight there, Jello. This is going to be one heck of a ride." She breathed deeply before breaking into a sprint that quickly gained speed. Chikura loved running, it was exhilarating and it made her feel so powerful. She caught up to the albies easily, but couldn't stop. Racing away, she left them in the dust as she sprinted across the plains, with the wind in her mane and the rush in her soul. Shortly after, she sighted the kasugas and hurried to catch up. Slowing her pace, she trotted with them for a while, her breathing only slightly uneven. She looked roguishly back at Jello. "How was that for a run, eh?"
echolisp
Beginner
Beginner
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Kitsune_Beauty » 11/26/2008 6:36 PM

Lumos and Rapshir nearly tripped over their own feet as a white and green blur flew by them. Rapshir glanced at his back for a moment, finally relizing that his 'luggage' had fallen behind. "Oops..." he muttered. "Yeah, 'oops'." Lumos said, rolling his eyes. "Your lucky that girl was here, or else you'd be the one reporting a missing Roosken to Vylor." Rapshir gulped and shuddered at the thought.

Jello's beak hung open and his claws were digging into the leebra even after she'd come to a stop. He shook himself and looked down to make sure he hadn't scratched his rider too badly. No blood. "W-well then." the bird managed, trying to regain his composure. "You sure can run, mish." As the two albies trotted up, Jello fluttered off the leebra's back and dizzily retook his spot on Rapshir's back. "You didn't leave any permanent scarring did you?" the treasure mused. Jello shook his head. "Boss!" Lumos called from the top of one of the many rolling hills.

Rapshir darted toward the glow of his companion. "What's going on..." His jaw dropped. Jello climbed onto his rider's head to get a better view, and this time Rapshir was too stunned to throw him off. Standing before them in a small indent in the land was a circle of kasuga. In the middle stood Narrah and another male cursed. Shudo and Katika were part of the circle, but they stayed right behind Narrah. It seemed to be a fight to the death, and the male was already littered in firey gashes and limping. Narrah had a few scrapes, but nothing too major. The lead male was beginning to back down. Narrah reared up and emitted another eerie, agressive call which sent the male galloping away. Narrah shook her horns in triumph and began singing high-pitched howls. Pretty soon, the rest of the herd had joined her. Lumos and Rapshir could only watch in wonder as they witnessed the secret ways of the kasuga.

Kirk Grimm
Kitsune_Beauty
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Maelstrom » 12/05/2008 7:33 PM

ImageImage

Several miles away, a small caravan ground to a halt as the tuskow pulling the pair of carts began rearing and plunging in panic. The driver of the leading cart, a cloaked human woman, jumped down from the driver's seat and shouted to the second driver, a biolune ferrikoon.
"Tavi! What's going on? Keep Xan from bolting or ruining the goods!"
The female jumped down onto the common tuskow's back, hanging on for dear life as the beast bucked. She kept working her way forward, clinging with her sharp claws, until she reached Xan's ear and started trying to talk to him. The human meanwhile was clutching the reins of her chaos tuskow Tyr, whispering to her in a soft voice. Eventually the pair calmed, and the drivers could relax.
"Where did the guards go?" Tavi panted.
"To find the disturbance, I think, they should be back soon," the human replied.
"Okay. We'd better get ready to move on then. The plains aren't safe at night."
Tavi nodded in agreement and both moved to tighten the ropes holding the goods they were taking to market into place.

ImageImage

In the darkness, guided by sharp senses, a pair of sleek shielupe raced over the plains. As the night deepened, the wind had chilled as well, and the the Purine Shielupe shivered as the wind cut coldly into her fur. The chaos made no sign that she was cold or even that she felt the exertion of their run as they slowed, spotting a group of people.
"Perhaps they know if something's happened?" suggested the Purine.
"Tonight has an ill feel to it, Accalia. I would rather that we passed through the plains without stopping."
"Ylva - By the purities, what is that!"
Whatever Accalia might have said was cut off by unearthly howling. The pair trotted closer, tingles running down their spines.
(heh, finished)

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

Maelstrom
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer
Pets | Items
Keystones: 602
Donate
Location: The Ladies' Anarchist Sewing Circle and Terrorist Association

Postby Kitsune_Beauty » 12/06/2008 3:58 PM

Rapshir's ear flicked back suddenly. There couldn't be others here at this hour, could there? The albie swung his head back, once again forgetting Jello was there. The bird squawked startled before landing in a feathery heap in the grass. Lumos maneged to drag his attention from the eerie spectacle to speak. "What's up, Boss?" Rapshir hushed him. "Dim your glow." he muttered as he watched into the darkness. A reddish glow seemed to be nearing them quickly, accompanied by a whiter figure. Rapshir sniffed the air. Sheilupes. A low growl began bumbling in his throat. Lumos stepped up. "They could be friendly, Boss." The biolune intensified his glow and waved his tail as a signal. "Who's there?"

Meanwile, Jello continued to watch the kasuga herd, leaving other matters to his bosses. Suddenly, all of the kasuga began glowing. Even the colors that weren't supposed to have an aura. They sent up another long, hollow howl in unison as a cool breeze dashed through the area. Before the roosken's eyes, the kasuga dissapeared, their essence seeming to blow away and become one with the breeze. A startled Jello awkwardly ran back to the albie, squawking and fluttering his wings franticly. "The kashuga!" he whistled, "They dishapeared! I wash watching them the whole time! The wind blew them away!" Truthfully, Jello was worried about his own well-being also. What if they blamed him for losing their herd?

Kirk Grimm
Kitsune_Beauty
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Next