Almost large enough to be considered a theme park while remaining free to the public, Terrace Park is rumored to have been the site of the Grand Hollowheart's defeat, leading to the Hollowhearts first accepting a pact with humans. (+2 Fame, +2 Endurance)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Terrace Park

Nev's Search (P/DONE)

Postby TrizzyTreke » 07/03/2014 4:50 PM

Nev needed a change of scenery. There was nothing happening in his house. His foster parents were grocery shopping, and he was trying to get started on his free-topic English essay, but he couldn't think of something interesting enough to write about. He wanted this essay to be extraordinary.

He lifted his eyes from his laptop and looked out the living room window at the stretching treeline facing the house. A spontaneous idea occurred to him. The forest would be a great place to work. He used to go there all the time, and he loved the trees. He could climb one and watch the forest move around him. There was where he could think of something to write about.

Nev grabbed his backpack and house key. He put his laptop inside his backpack and wrote a note to his parents saying he was going out for a little in case they came home while he was gone. Then he left the house and headed for the trees.

What's a name?
Just window dressin'
Everybody knows it's clothes that make a man
Play the game
Just keep 'em guessin'
Mix and match me
Try to catch me if you can

TrizzyTreke
Novice Pet Trainer
Novice Pet Trainer
Pets | Items

Postby TrizzyTreke » 07/04/2014 5:48 PM

Nev walked through the forest and reached a clearing that was characterized by a single stump in the middle, so that from the sky the clearing would have looked like an eye. This stump used to be part of an enormous tree, thicker and taller than any other in the forest by far. Nev remembered when he and Sky would play under its shade or in its boughs for hours upon hours of adventures. They used to call it "the tree as big as the world."

Bordering the clearing were several other trees that they had used to carve on. Whenever they did or saw something unusual, they would mark a reminder of it on one of those trees. Nev walked to one of the four trees. Nev walked to one of the four trees they hadn't carved up yet and climbed up to the lowest branch, where he stretched and leaned against the trunk with his laptop. Maybe he'd experience something unusual to write his essay about AND carve it on this blank canvas of a tree.

What's a name?
Just window dressin'
Play the game
Just keep 'em guessin'
Mix and match me

TrizzyTreke
Novice Pet Trainer
Novice Pet Trainer
Pets | Items

Postby TrizzyTreke » 07/04/2014 7:47 PM

Nev sat and thought for a while. He kept scanning the forest with hopes of seeing something inspiring, but so far the best topic he could use was trees. Although he realized he could write an essay on the symbolic importance of trees in literature, he still wanted something less obvious to write about.

"Hey, Nev!"

He looked down to see Sky standing at the bottom of the tree, waving at him. He shouted, "Hey! I'll be right down," and climbed down with his stuff. "How did you know I was out here?"

"I stopped by your house, but it was locked so I came here. I had a feeling you were dozing in a tree."

"I wasn't dozing!" Nev laughed. "I'm trying to write an English paper, but my house was completely devoid of inspiration. I thought Mother Nature might have an idea for me."

What's a name?
Just window dressin'
Play the game
Just keep 'em guessin'
Mix and match me

TrizzyTreke
Novice Pet Trainer
Novice Pet Trainer
Pets | Items

Postby TrizzyTreke » 07/04/2014 8:06 PM

Sky walked back to the nearest tree. "Have you looked through our carvings for something yet? Here's that time we chased a squirrel until it let us pet it. And here's when we found that shooting star that split a tree in half! Sound like anything you'd want to spend an hour writing about?"

"Shooting stars, maybe. But I want something that's fascinating to me. You know me, I don't want to write about something just because I have to. I need to find something that I care about."

Sky pulled her hair into a ponytail while he talked. Then she said, "I have an idea. It's the Fourth of July, right? So be festive. Write an essay about fireworks."

"I don't think that'll work very well. The essay's for English, not history."

"Then you don't have to write about all that independence stuff. Write about how beautiful fireworks are, or what they mean to you."

Nev got excited. "That's awesome!" he said. "It's bound to be unique. And I think it'll turn out to be a quirky essay, being about exploding rockets that become patterns of fire and all."

What's a name?
Just window dressin'
Play the game
Just keep 'em guessin'
Mix and match me

TrizzyTreke
Novice Pet Trainer
Novice Pet Trainer
Pets | Items

Postby TrizzyTreke » 07/04/2014 10:00 PM

Sky laughed. "Glad to be of help. Are Will and Nancy doing anything with you to celebrate Fourth of July?"

"Nah. They went grocery shopping about an hour ago. They're gonna get some burger meat to barbecue and that's pretty much all we'll do besides watch fireworks. On TV."

Sky nodded. "Same here. Want to bring our foster folks out here tonight and shoot fireworks into the clouds?"

Nev smiled. "That sounds brilliant and beautiful. We'll be here tonight." Then a patriotic light bulb went on in his head. "I'll bring the American flag we have hanging in our house, and we can all watch the Fourth of July sky together."

What's a name?
Just window dressin'
Play the game
Just keep 'em guessin'
Mix and match me

TrizzyTreke
Novice Pet Trainer
Novice Pet Trainer
Pets | Items