As an active volcano, few creatures venture near Nori for fear of being too close during an eruption. On most days there is a continuous slow flow of molten rock seeping through the mouth of the volcano, so travelers are advised to dress appropriately. (+2 to Endurance)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Nori Volcano

Mother Nature Isn't Happy! (P: Me + Zap + Indigo)

Postby Freezair » 01/16/2015 6:12 PM

((Note: Though I started this RP in Nori Volcano, I imagine this plot will take us all over it, and the Tuun Mountains.))

Mothers were generally known for being pretty agreeable. That was what made them mothers--all of their love was completely unconditional.

Unless, of course, they were Mother Nature. She was definitely known for her temper.

Agni, the Volcano Fairy, made it her job to control part of that notorious temper--the fierce volcanoes that dotted the land of Evelon, especially in Lambastia. She skittered in-between fissures in the rock in her small, compact fairy form--resembling nothing so much as a salamander with hair and horns. Her tongue flickered out, sampling rock and tasting the lava. The silica taste was down. The velvety-smooth lava this particular volcano was known for was getting thick and chunky.

Make no mistake about it: Something was wrong.

She'd sensed something was off ever since her favorite cinder cone began acting strangely. It was the one she liked to think of most as "her" volcano--it wasn't the biggest, or the brightest, but its ashy sides sloped just so, and there was such a delightful sharp glassiness to the ashes it spewed out. Normally, it belched out a small cloud of tephra on a regular basis. But lately, it had gone silent.

Many volcanoes were going silent. And the earth was rumbling more than it had in a long time.

Agni needed to do some thinking. She slithered her way out of the volcanoes, down the slopes of Nori, into the forest on the calmer half of the mountain range. At least, calmer on the surface--lava chambers still bubbled deep below, and from them sprung some truly delightful hot springs where a fairy could put her mind at ease. Deep in the heart of one forest, she found her favorite little bubbling pool. The night air was chill--perfect for bathing in warm water. And with no one around, there was no shame in taking up a little extra space. She changed herself to her full size--glowing lava tubes sprung from her back, magma pulsing within. Her mane stretched down her back to dangle in the water. The flame on the tip of her tail grew to an inferno, but it burned nothing--though she was careful to keep it clear of the water. Without further ado, she sunk herself into the bubbling mineral pool, and began to ponder.

I'm so cool (too bad I'm a loser).
I'm so smart (too bad I can't get anything figured out)!
I'm so brave (too bad I'm a baby).
I'm so fly
That's probably why it feels just like I'm falling for the first time!

I'm so green (it's really amazing).
I'm so clean (too bad I can't get all the dirt off of me)!
I'm so sane (It's driving me crazy)!
It's so strange
I can't believe I'm falling for the first time!

Critters -Ramblings - Single & Looking -Majikul Wishlist -This Stuff's Important

Freezair
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Keystones: 80
Donate

Re: Mother Nature Isn't Happy! (P: Me + Zap + Indigo)

Postby zapdragon555 » 01/16/2015 7:16 PM

The trees were far too quiet lately.

Arano's ears were angled outward as he stood in a clearing, barely twitching to search for the ancient echos of whispering trees that he'd come to know as a constant. The silence was unnerving, to say the least. Gently, Arano moved over to one of the younger trees, wondering if it would be more talkative than its older counterparts. "Is something going on?" he asked softly, letting his tails curl around the trunk.

For a long moment, there was silence, then a soft, They don't want me to talk. Arano blinked at that, his brows barely knitting as he glanced at the other trees. "Why is that?" he returned, but was met with silence and a soft shhh sound, wind flitting through the tops of the trees, and Arano himself lapsed into silence.

Something did feel off, he supposed. The fog was not so thick, today, and the birds seemed quiet, as if realizing the constant cover was lifted, leaving them vulnerable to whatever had quieted the murmuring voices of the trees. Arano stood up, gently brushing his tails against the young tree in farewell, and dashed off into the forest, his paws barely making any sound on the leaf litter. A quick search of the forest perimeter would be wise; and after that, he would check on the other forests. Perhaps something truly was wrong. But Arano knew better than to assume the worst.

But there will come a time
You'll see, with no more tears
And love will not break your heart
But dismiss your fears
Get over your hill and see
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

"Tomorrow will be a good day."

Pen | New Pen | Breed | Wish | Sales | Art | Imp. | Add-ons

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Keystones: 485
Donate
Location: "I mean... for me, I could love someone even if I, you know, wasn't paid for it...

[1]

Postby Indigo » 01/16/2015 9:24 PM

Kendra had not been the one to sense the oddity. Of course she hadn't. It had been Mayluck, in fact, who had pointed it out, coming in from her funny little garden to announce how nervous her flowers were. Further investigation had been required, but the eventual conclusion was: something was definitely amiss.

Kendra had been the one to say, "We could use a little more information than that, don't you think?" It was one of the bigger mistakes of her life, she felt.

As a result of what he called her "inquisitive nature", Mr. Phipps had sent her out to this forest to investigate properly, with Mayluck on standby should she take too long to get results. She wasn't, so far, a fan of the place--it was awfully warm--but she had to admit she was probably the most suited to the task. Focus would be needed to get to the root of the problem, and if there was one thing she had on her side, it was focus.

She had been walking for a couple of hours now, keeping the air around her chilled to a tolerable temperature. So far she'd had no luck, but then, she didn't exactly know what she was looking for. Something was odd, something in the air perhaps, but she had no idea what. Her training hadn't exactly covered this.

Now she heard movement, for the first time since she'd arrived. Another sign of whatever had gone wrong. Something moving here, other than herself, was therefore probably related to the problem in some way. So she followed the sound through the trees, her chill aura extending on all sides, and most likely doing something unpleasant to the foliage, but that wasn't her primary concern.

What are you looking at?

Indigo
Well-Traveled Trainer
Well-Traveled Trainer
Pets | Items
Keystones: 329
Donate

Postby Freezair » 01/16/2015 9:49 PM

Agni heard footsteps.

Now that was odd. Normally, no one came to disturb her in this part of the forest. It was generally fairly remote, and both the proximity to the volcano and the rocky terrain meant that not many tourists came this way for a hike. Every once in a while, though, someone wandered near--a few other people had seen her favorite hot springs, after all. She hauled herself out of the water with a mighty splash, and shifted her form again. As the salamander, she climbed up the bark of a nearby tree and set out for a better look.

She perched herself on one of the tippy-toppest branches she could reach, and peered down at the land. Her eyes narrowed, then widened with shock. There wasn't just one person nearby--there were two! A Lucain wandered nearby, and powerful magical energy seemed to radiate from him. The other figure did indeed look like a hiker--someone out to soothe their weary bones in the hot springs? But magic came from her as well--and this stuff was cold! The very opposite of Agni herself!

She felt herself drawn to the Lucain first. Something about him to her felt like he knew, too--something was wrong with nature. Maybe he was... connected, like she was. So she slipped down the tree bark and stuck herself on a low limb, just beside the Lucain's head.

"Hey," she hissed in her slightly high-pitched, salamandery voice. "Hi there!"

I'm so fly

It's so strange

Critters -Ramblings - Single & Looking -Majikul Wishlist -This Stuff's Important

Freezair
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 01/18/2015 2:03 AM

Arano stopped short in surprise as he heard a voice hiss at him, his ears immediately perking and angling. Of course, he had felt a strange aura the moment he'd drawn nearer to the volcano's base, but he did not doubt the existence of another guardian spirit. This must be the one, Arano thought as he turned his sharp blue gaze onto the small salamander. He blinked slowly at her, then sniffed the air around her, smelling the fiery magic aura that barely shimmered around her, and he tilted his head. "Hello," he said, testing out his human speech with a bit of awkwardness. He'd grown so used to only talking to trees, it felt strange. "What brings... you to this place? Down so far from volcano?"

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate
Location: "I mean... for me, I could love someone even if I, you know, wasn't paid for it...

[2]

Postby Indigo » 01/18/2015 3:43 AM

Whatever she was following came to quite an abrupt halt, and for a moment Kendra wasn't sure what to do. Press on and be exposed? Well, she could probably defend herself at least moderately with the cold air that still surrounded her, and damned if she was going to fail this relatively simple mission. She stepped forward. Now that it had stopped it was a bit harder to find, but she managed.

And there was something very odd going on when she eventually caught up with her quarry. A salamander of some sort, speaking to a Lucain with--were those antlers? She had seen some stranger things in the course of her studies, but it was so very unexpected to find a scene like this in a place that seemed mostly abandoned by its inhabitants. She hadn't seen a single wild creature since she'd arrived.

Who were these people? Were they responsible for whatever was going on?

She would have liked to slip quietly out of sight, to investigate this situation from a safe distance, but unfortunately her icy mist had frozen parts of the trees around her, now that she was standing still; and one of her clawed wings scraped loudly against it as she withdrew. There was definitely no getting away now. Leave it to her to botch a simple thing like running away.

What are you looking at?

Indigo
Well-Traveled Trainer
Well-Traveled Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Freezair » 01/18/2015 5:32 PM

A huge grin split across the salamander fairy's amphibian face. "Ooooh! I get to talk to both of you at once!" Despite not having wings, she hovered through the air, her speed surprising, up to Kenda's face. She orbited around the girl's body, tapping the icy crystals that formed around her. "That's amazing! Two powerful magical beings, right here! With me! And I can tell. Mmm-hmm." She zoomed up to Arano's face, stopping just short of perching in his antlers. "You're a powerful nature-guardian spirit like me! Mmyup!"

She hovered away from him, taking up a point in the air, hanging just between Arano and Kendra. "Anyway, Mr. Guardian Nature Spirit Guy, I came out here because something's wrong with my volcanoes! They're just not belching smoke and lava like they used to. Especially my favorite--it hasn't made a good cloud of ash in a long time!" She frowned. "So I came out here to my favorite hot spring to think about what I should do. Am I just panicking, or is something really wrong?"

She spun in the air between them. "You're both super-magical-powerful, right? Have either of you seen anything wrong like that?"

I'm so fly

It's so strange

Freezair
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 01/18/2015 7:39 PM

Arano's eyes had been trained on the newcomer, his ears pinned back to his head in irritation at the ice covering the trees. He heard the trees moan in complaint at the cold, but he could tell from the radiating aura that the girl couldn't quite help it. He remembered vaguely when his powers had been too unbridled... Arano blinked at the salamander's words, his attention dragging back to her. He thought about her words for a moment, then nodded slowly and sat down. "The trees... don't talk, today. Scared, suspicious of something. Forest too quiet, trees know something really wrong."

Arano then turned his eyes to the newcomer, his eyes narrowing. "You. Why have you come here? Problem with snow somewhere?" he asked, something like a joke in his voice, though he seemed tense.

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

[3]

Postby Indigo » 01/18/2015 8:02 PM

[Kendra's in pet form, if that needs clarifying.]
Her ears twitched. Powerful magical beings? The salamander had clearly made a mistake. Kendra would have corrected her, but it seemed like a poor decision to antagonize a guardian spirit. She retracted her cold-air corona just in case; didn't want to offend anyone by damaging the plants--well, more than she already had--or bringing excessive cold into a volcano guardian's space. She could deal with a little heat if she had to.

She would've answered the salamander's question, probably with all the politeness she could muster--she'd heard quite a few warnings about nature spirits and such, and was taking no chances--but she couldn't stop herself from snapping at the Lucain. "What kind of problem could snow possibly have?" Bad idea, that, if he was a nature guardian too; she tried to tone it down a little. "I'm here because my teacher thought something weird was going on with the natural world, and he sent me to check it out. Make sure the world isn't about to implode or anything, and all that."

She turned back to the salamander. "I wouldn't say I'm super powerful. But some of the...other magicians I know have noticed some bad stuff going on, sort of like that."

What are you looking at?

Indigo
Well-Traveled Trainer
Well-Traveled Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Freezair » 01/18/2015 9:05 PM

"Something is wrong!" The salamander pounded one tiny fist into her other hand, with a look of consternation on her face. "Volcanoes are sensitive, you know, to the movements of the earth! I thought it might just be a bad century for the tectonic plates, but nope!"

She looked between her two new companions, and smiled. "We're all here together, and we all know something's gone wrong in the world. Even though we didn't mean to all be here! It must be fate! And even if it isn't, it's pretty lucky! We might be able to figure out what's going on, if we put our heads together." She knocked the side of her noggin as if to prove a point. "So we should all start by sharing the things we know are going wrong!"

She floated up into the air a little more, to best project her voice downwards. "My name is Agni, and I'm a fairy spirit who guards the volcanoes near here! They've been changing lately. They're not regularly erupting like they used to be. Plus, the lava they shoot is changing! It's making so much less of those beautiful obsidian stones these days! I just get hard gray nasty things! Those that used to blow ash aren't blowing much at all. And the earthquakes in the area are intensifying! It feels like the earth wants to erupt so bad, but it just can't for some reason! Like when a sneeze won't come out." She crossed her salamandery arms and sighed.

"Mr. Guardian Spirit! You said your trees weren't talking to you, right? And what about you, Miss Draculi? What do your teachers say?"

I'm so fly

It's so strange

Freezair
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 01/28/2015 11:10 PM

Though Arano seemed somewhat annoyed by Kendra's words, he said nothing save for a twitch of the ears, which laid flat in surprise as Agni began speaking. They perked again at mention of something being wrong, and he snorted slightly, tilting his nose upwards. "Putting heads together, not good idea. What does volcano fairy know of forests? What does rude, cold kuhna know of growing things?" he added with a pointed stare at Kendra.

Arano blinked slowly at Agni's words, then sighed through his nose, his tails sweeping around him slightly. "Name, called Arano. Only spirits and trees may call me this. You refer to me as Great Spirit of the Wilderness," he stated boldly, not seeming to understand that that title was a bit of a mouthful. Even so... this Kendra girl seemed to have a special power. Perhaps she wasn't like typical creatures who came to the forest...

"Yes," Arano finally murmured in response to Agni's question, nodding slowly, seeming to relax just a bit. "Normally, the trees talk much. Talk of many things, sunlight and temperature of wind. Today, all quiet, save for the young ones. Babies don't know when danger comes."

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

[4]

Postby Indigo » 01/31/2015 5:45 PM

Her ears flattened at Arano's comment. "I'm not a--" She stopped. Had to keep in mind that whole power differential thing, even if he did insist on being irritating. If she had to she'd just ignore him. "My name's Kendra," she said, since it seemed to be introduction time; and, though she wouldn't risk saying it out loud, she made a mental note that she'd call Arano whatever she wanted, thank you very much. Plants weren't the biggest threat to her, after all.

"One of my...friends--" That was hardly an accurate term, but she wasn't about to waste time quibbling over wording. "--said something sort of similar about the plants. She talks to them, or something. And my teacher noticed things going wrong with bodies of water. Rivers overflowing at a time of year when they shouldn't, rainfall in weird places, currents going the wrong way. Things like that."

She wished she had observations of her own to contribute. But either the snow and ice really were more resilient than other parts of nature, or she just wasn't attuned enough to be able to tell when something was up. Probably the latter. She would defend the integrity of her element to the others if she had to, but there was no avoiding the truth for her.

What are you looking at?

Indigo
Well-Traveled Trainer
Well-Traveled Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Freezair » 01/31/2015 11:36 PM

Agni chuckled. Arano's attitude might have been off-putting to some, but for her, she would just giggle. "Oooh! Alrighty then, Mr. Great Spirit of the Wilderness!" She bowed dramatically as he spoke, with chuckles sneaking out of the side of her mouth. Some people might have interpreted it as mocking. Agni seemed too bright and sunny to be truly malicious--but then again, being a powerful spirit herself, if anyone could tweak Arano's nose, it was her.

"Hmmm... so something's off with the plants AND the weather AND my volcanoes! Something's really a big deal! If it was just with the plants, it might be pollution..." She squirmed in the air around Arano's body. "And if it was just the weather, it might be a storm system or temperature things or a hole in the ozone!" She hung upside down near Kendra. "But it's in the Earth itself if it's disrupting my volcanoes! That must mean... if it's infecting EVERYTHING... it must be something magical! Maybe a dark spirit got loose, or an evil wizard cast a spell, or, or--!" Ideas seemed to run rampant through her eyes, as her thoughts flickered from place to place.

"One thing's for certain," Agni said. "We need to trace out the dark magic causing this and find the source! We're all seeing its effects. Now we need to look deeper and see if we can see that magic itself!"

I'm so fly

It's so strange

Freezair
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 02/05/2015 11:11 PM

Arano hadn't seemed to notice that he'd misplaced Kendra's species, but then, it didn't look like he got out much. However, his ears perked slightly at her mention of a friend who could talk to plants. He paused for a moment, looking almost sheepish as he glanced at his paws, then back at Kendra, clearing his throat. "I too have seen. Rivers gone wrong. Wrong, not in their place," he nodded slowly.

Arano noticed the giggles escaping Agni as she bowed, and he barely narrowed his eyes. Sarcasm wasn't his strong suit, but he definitely knew she wasn't genuine. He knew better than to strike something up with her, though; as a volcano spirit, she could severely endanger the forest if she so chose. He shied away from her slightly as she squirmed in the air near him, inching closer to the ground and crouching, peering up at her warily as she darted over to Kendra. "Dark spirit... evil whizbang... big thoughts, bold words for something we don't know." Arano frowned slightly. "Jump to conclusions..."

Even so... what Agni said made sense. That so many areas of nature would be affected, it set Arano on edge. Finally, he nodded his head. "I will help to search for cause of this."

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

[5]

Postby Indigo » 02/11/2015 1:49 AM

She smirked when Arano agreed with her. At least she could be right about some things. Observation was really almost all she had.

The idea of an evil wizard or dark spirit or...whatever made her hesitate. Moral distinctions aside, anyone who could do this sort of damage had to be pretty powerful, and she likely wouldn't be able to do much against them, not to mention the potential danger to her life. And as much as Mr. Phipps's particular brand of instruction often annoyed her, he'd always insisted that they avoid taking on anything they weren't sure they could handle, and that was certainly something Kendra could understand. It was entirely possible she would just make things worse, and even if she didn't, what good would she do compared to two nature spirits?

But if she didn't help, she'd be admitting failure, and that would be even worse. "I'll see what I can do," she said, and hoped she sounded more certain than she felt.

What are you looking at?

Indigo
Well-Traveled Trainer
Well-Traveled Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Next