As an active volcano, few creatures venture near Nori for fear of being too close during an eruption. On most days there is a continuous slow flow of molten rock seeping through the mouth of the volcano, so travelers are advised to dress appropriately. (+2 to Endurance)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Nori Volcano

A Fool's Errand [P] [Quest] [Finished]

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 10/16/2016 11:53 PM

Ilanthys smiled as he finally reached the caldera of the slumbering volcano. Though some rivulets of magma still snaked their way down the side of the mountain, the caldera had been safe to explore for decades and Ilanthys had been here before, albeit with different intentions.

Pausing to wipe the sweat from his brow, Ilanthys studied the cave entrance before him. In a chamber several hundred feet into the cave system was the breeding lair of the magma creepers, and Ilanthys had come to pick one out. Though domesticated magma creepers were fairly common nowadays, it was well-known that only by entering their lair could a wild companion be sought, and then only if they consented.

[1]
"I remember who I was, who I've always been. Sometimes I forget I'm not that person any more."

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Keystones: 2056
Donate

Re: A Fool's Errand [P] [Quest]

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 10/17/2016 12:03 AM

Ilanthys grinned as he eyed the cave entrance and spotted the tell-tale wisps of smoke swirling out of the cavern. Deep below ground, he knew, the den-mother was resting, and her exhalations were the cause of the smoke trails. It would be very warm down there, but he knew he was capable of enduring the heat - and he really wanted to succeed. The creeper would be a fine companion, capable of both assisting him and providing the company he sought. Ilanthys stretched his shoulders and raised his pack; no time like the present, he thought, as he strode forward to begin his search.

"I remember who I was, who I've always been. Sometimes I forget I'm not that person any more."

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 10/17/2016 1:59 AM

The first chamber was well-lit and airy, with skylights poking out through the roof towards the entrance. Ilanthys didn't let that fool him, however; this was just the mouth of the leviathan - the doorway to the labyrinth. He knew that the coiling web of tunnels lay below, and his excitement doubled. He could smell the smoke slightly from in here, though a cool breeze kept the cavern free of the worst. He chuckled, wondering if the creepers ever ventured up here on their own.

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 10/17/2016 2:44 AM

The second and third chambers were much the same as the first, with only the decreasing light to indicate that he was going further into the tunnel system. Here and there, small patches of moss appeared to grow upon the wall, though it appeared to be bone dry. Ilanthys sniffed the air; surely the smell of smoke was getting slightly stronger! He strained his ears, but could only hear the light whooshing of the wind as it passed through the chambers on it's way out of the tunnels. He was not discouraged, however; he knew he had to go deeper to reach his destination, and was eager to continue.

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 10/17/2016 2:57 AM

The fourth chamber was very large, and resembled a large ballroom in size. It appeared to be lit by strangely growing patches of moss on the wall, which seemed to thrive in the dark, dry atmosphere. The air was heavier, too, and hotter than the chambers before. Ilanthys was excited; this surely meant the breeding den was not much further away! The smoky tang of the air fueled his enthusiasm, and he increased his pace, stopping only to carefully negotiate rocky piles of debris that barred his way.

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 10/17/2016 2:57 AM

The fifth chamber was filled with large crystals protruding from the rocky walls, floor and ceiling at all angles. They were very hot to the touch, which made it difficult to get around them - Ilanthys did not wish to risk burning himself down here with limited medical supplies. Carefully, he negotiated his way around, under, and over the crystals as necessary until he reached an opening in the cave wall, which appeared to lead to a carved-out passage in the rock. He heaved a sigh, made difficult by the sweltering heat in this cavern, and pressed on into the passage. At least he was moving away from the crystal chamber, though the heat didn't seem to be diminishing at all.

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 10/17/2016 3:00 AM

As he entered the sixth chamber in his search, Ilanthys paused to drink from his canteen. The heat had increased to the point where he wished he could remove his shirt and jeans, but he knew that he would want their protection when it came to the final chamber and the breeding den. Although they were not unduly hostile, magma creepers had sharp claws and scales, and gave off tremendous heat when alarmed - he knew better than to risk his safety for a bit of discomfort. He could hear a faint rumbling sound coming from the tunnel ahead of him, and he hastened his pace, not wishing to delay unduly. Surely by now he was close to his destination!

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 10/17/2016 3:00 AM

As Ilanthys entered the final chamber, he wiped the sweat from his brow and paused in his movements to stare at the chaos around him. Everywhere there were tiny magma creepers, just bigger than his head, fluttering and stumbling and lying on the ground, basking in the heat of the cave. He could see the gargantuan brood mother up ahead, reclining in her rocky nest, tending to her latest brood of hatchlings whilst their brethren snacked on the soot that coated the cavern floor. He frowned, and craned his neck to see the roof of the cavern where the older creepers were fluttering and exploring the skylights. However was he supposed to find his companion, out of all the creatures here?

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 10/17/2016 3:01 AM

As Ilanthys stood there contemplating where to begin his search, he noticed a tiny lump of what appeared to be soot struggling towards his boots, through the roiling mess of bodies. He stared, amused, as the tiny thing reached its destination and began to climb - first his boots, then his jeans. No bigger than his hand, the creature was surely the runt of the litter and would have been buried by his brethren had he not fought his way to the surface of the mess on the cavern floor. Even now, covered in soot, Ilanthys could feel the steady thump of the creature's tiny heart and the heat it gave off was strong enough to be felt through his flame-repelling clothing. Ilanthys grinned; the little creature had a mighty spirit, and a steady heart - surely this was a sign from the gods that the creature was destined to be his!

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 10/17/2016 3:01 AM

Ilanthys grinned as he exited the cave with his new companion tucked safely in his backpack, one steady stream of smoke coiling out from beneath the lid. Wrapped in a fireproof blanket and tucked safely into his travel kettle within his magically flame-resistant backpack, the little beast was no threat - indeed, nothing more than a pleasant warm feeling escaped. He already liked the little creeper, bold as it was; in time it would grow into a strong companion, worthy of adventure - just like himself. For now, he thought, it would be wise to venture to the nearest city - he needed to procure some more provisions, like a stronger heatproof harness. He doubted the one he had would last long, as it had been designed with a far more timid creature in mind!

The End (for now!)

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate