As an active volcano, few creatures venture near Nori for fear of being too close during an eruption. On most days there is a continuous slow flow of molten rock seeping through the mouth of the volcano, so travelers are advised to dress appropriately. (+2 to Endurance)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Nori Volcano

Postby Maelstrom » 11/05/2008 1:16 AM

In seeming slow motion, the rocks succombed to gravity and fell, straight at the creature. It realized seconds too late what was hapening. The chimerantala screamed as the first boulders hit it. It stumbed to the side trying to get away, only to go down under a second rain of boulders a millisecond behind the first. It kept shrieking, until abruptly it cut off.

Letting the dust settle, the two cautiously began to climb back down. Pilgrim was in the lead as they approached the rockslide.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

Maelstrom
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer
Pets | Items
Keystones: 602
Donate
Location: The Ladies' Anarchist Sewing Circle and Terrorist Association

Postby Maelstrom » 11/05/2008 1:25 AM

"Did we get it?"

"It appears so."

Pilgrim perhaps should have been more cautious, or Fornax more wary. But the partners were fatigued and wanted to believe that they had suceeded. And that was precisely what cost them.

As Pilgrim approached the rock pile, the sound of the rock shifting should have warned them. And when the shift freed the chimerantala, with Pilgrim mere feet from the beast, injured and desprate, the beast attacked. Pilgrim for his part tried to react, but was just seconds too slow.

The wicked stinger pierced his left flank, injecting its potent venom into Pilgrim's bloodstream, and Fornax could only look on with horror as his charge - his friend - fell and the beast escaped.

Maelstrom
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Maelstrom » 11/06/2008 1:23 PM

Pilgrim had fallen more from sheer shock than any pain or weakness. His mind finally began to process the last few seconds when the sensation of warmth and slight pain hit him. He raised his head to dazedly examine the single bright red bead of venom-laced blood from the puncture wound on his flank.

Fornax, after his moment of paralyzed shock, had sprung to action. The chimerantala seemed to be leaving as fast as it could, injured and hobbling, but he made sure to chase it at least out of sight. He might also have also taken a few hits at it, but with the anger at himself for not being more careful and worry for Pilgrim's health, he couldn't bring himself to care.

Maelstrom
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Maelstrom » 11/06/2008 1:44 PM

The agressor driven away, Fornax returned to Pilgrim, trotting as quickly as his tiredness would let him. He was relieved to see the kasuga at least awake and cognizant, even if he hadn't moved. They needed to be far away from here soon, in a much more defensible position with water nearby. He knew a few places, but even the closest was some ways; he couldn't predict how long either of them would last.

"Pilgrim? Pilgrim!"

Pilgrim raised his head. His eyes were already beginning to glaze over and his thoughts turned over and over for a moment before he could speak.

"What's it Fornax?"

"We need to leave. Can you get up and walk without help?"

Pilgrim had to pause and think for a long moment.

"Think so."

Maelstrom
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Maelstrom » 11/06/2008 1:57 PM

Pilgrim gathered his strength, then in a rush of movement he was on his feet, swaying unsteadily until he stabilized himself a moment later. Fornax felt a surge of relief at seeing his charge, no, partner looking at least mobile and undamaged. Looking was all that it was though - even now the poison was beginning to work through his body, slowly but surely. They had to use every second of time to its fullest and that meant moving as quickly as possilbe.

"Come as quickly as you can."

Fornax suited his words with action and Pilgrim followed more slowly.

Maelstrom
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Maelstrom » 11/06/2008 2:17 PM

It was quickly apparent that Pilgrim was already falling under the venom's effects. His pace slowed, and Fornax was forced to match it. Without the Aries' help, he wouldn't even have been able to find the closest hiding spot, but Fornax also knew all the shortcuts to shave off as much time as possible from the journey. Pilgrim had cause later to be especially grateful for this.

Even at the slow pace, the pair managed to make it to the halfway mark without problems. Then Pilgrim began to feel dizzy; his vision blurred and his legs shook, leaving his barely able to walk in a straight line. Fornax was forced to support him, and the journey dragged on and on. Luckily by the time they did make it to their bolthole, the worst had not yet set in. The setting sun was just a bit of a glow on the horizon and they settled in for a long night.

Maelstrom
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Maelstrom » 11/11/2008 8:17 PM

Although he was loathe to leave the injured kasuga by himself, they needed supplies desperately if Pilgrim was going to make it through the night. He would have to rely on the location to keep Pilgrim undiscovered.

Their campsite was nearly inaccessable behind sheer walls and had only a narrow enterance. The gully was dry and unlikely to flood if it rained, and best of all had an easy watersource, in the form of a trickle of fresh water that collected in a basin.

"Pilgrim?"

The kasuga didn't answer, but he made an attempt to make eye contact, trying to fight the dizziness. Trying to remain upright even though his legs shook and refused to support him, Pilgrim leaned against the nearest rock wall.

Maelstrom
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Maelstrom » 11/11/2008 8:28 PM

Finally Pilgrim managed to focus vaguely on the bright blur he assumed was Fornax. It should be Fornax. Blurs didn't usually speak elsewise, did they?

"Pilgrim, I need to leave. It will be cold tonight, and we need a fire if you are to stay healthy. We also need some herbs that grow in the area. I'll be gone for a while, but I will return as swiftly as I can, with herbs and firewood."

Pilgirm made a vague noise that might have been assent and understanding, and Fornax left. He had to hurry; Pilgrim seemed less and less aware of reality. What were his symptoms so far? Muscle spasms, dizziness, blurryness of vision and inability to concentrate. No doubt soon he would begin to hallucinate, run a fever and be in a great deal of pain.

Maelstrom
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Maelstrom » 11/13/2008 7:20 PM

Nori volcano's presence, and the volcanic soil that surrounded it had led to the existance of a number of herbs around the volcano that could be found no where else in Evelon. Unusual potency and effects made them highly desired on both continents. Fornax, with his knowledge of the area, had often collected them to sell. Now he collected them to save a life.

Using all of his skill and speed, Fornax worked to find supplies. After the sun set, the distant glow of the volcano lighted his way. After gathering enough herbs, and a little food and firewood, Fornax forced himself to go back. The firewood wouldn't last, and the food wasn't even enough for one, but he could not leave Pilgrim alone any longer. He would have to tend to him and then leave again, while the fire still had fuel to burn.

Maelstrom
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Maelstrom » 11/16/2008 1:58 AM

He had realized, in an absent sort of way, that Fornax had left sometime after the actual event. Pilgrim couldn't particularly blame himself for this - all his attention was centered on his body. When he had died, Pilgrim had thought that his days of being a slave to the needs of the flesh were over. Not so, he had found. He still needed to sleep and eat, though not so much nor so often as he had when alive. Breathing shallowly, he now discovered a third item that even the dead were still subject to: pain.

If someone had come upon him he would have been helpless to defend himself. He had lost the ability to stand some time ago and now only lay on his side, thrashing every now and then as his muscles cramped.

Maelstrom
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Maelstrom » 11/16/2008 2:34 AM

Fornax could barely contain his relief to see the opening of their bolthole yawning before him in the pale moonlight and volcano-glow. This feeling shattered as he saw Pilgrim, motionless on the floor.

"Pilgrim!"

The aries rushed to the kasuga's side, and was utterly glad when the kasuga twitched slugishly in response to his nuzzling. Pilgrim was quite clearly out of it, and his body had shut down everything that did not aid it in fighting the chimerantala venom. Fornax's flash of happiness evaporated when the kasuga moaned, obviously in pain.

Fornax got to work unloading the fruits of his foraging. Untieing the firewood from his back he found a shard of flint and worke at striking the flint to make a spark.

Maelstrom
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Maelstrom » 11/17/2008 7:15 PM

Luck prevailed; on the third try he was able to create a tiny flame in the dry grass he'd collected. Patiently he fed the fire, blowing on it every now and then until he had a little blaze burning brightly. Satisfied his work would last on its own for a bit, Fornax turned to Pilgrim's needs.

He gently tried to get the kasuga to drink; Pilgrim roused a little at that and slowly drank a little on his own. Fornax was no doctor; he had no medical training whatsoever. He had only what experience and herb-knowledge he had gathered over the years, along with his common sense. Being able to respond was good, and drinking water would keep the kasuga from getting dehydrated. Now if he would just eat...

But it seemed that the kasuga had no strength for that; whatever small bits Fornax offered him Pilgrim refused. After several tries, the blaze aries gave up and ate what little food he had found himself.

Maelstrom
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Maelstrom » 11/17/2008 7:34 PM

Next, Pilgrim needed a poultice for the stinger wound; this long from the injury, it was doubtful how much good it might do, but it needed to be tried anyhow. For this, Fornax carefully stoked the little fire he had built, being as frugal with the dwindling supply of firewood as he could. Next he fished a small, thin metal bowl from his supplies, which were considerably larger and more varied than Pilgrim's few items. Filling the bowl with water, he set it close to the fire so it could heat. The water needed to be warm, but not scalding, so Fornax watched it carefully. The wait seemed to stretch forever - Pilgrim had begun to moan and thrash a little, and seemed to be in some pain.

Finally, Fornax took the water off. While he had waited, the aries had taken some of his herbs and ground them on a flat rock that he had cleaned before hand. Now the aries took the herb paste and added just a little water, then set the rest of the water aside. He would have a use for it later. After mixing the paste, the only thing that remained was to apply it.

Maelstrom
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Maelstrom » 11/19/2008 8:11 PM

When he approached, Pilgrim was thrashing and moaning. The nightmares and hallucinations must have set in. When Fornax pressed his nose to the kasuga's side, it burned with fever. Careful with the poultice he had made, Fornax gently pinned the kasuga in place, and began to set the poultice. He wrinkled his nose - the area around the wound oozed pus and dark tainted blood. He used a little boiled dry grass to wipe away the liquid and proceded to plaster the mixture on and around the sting.

Through this, Pilgrim wavered from shaking with cold to burning with fever. He snorted and shrieked, from both the painful fire that scalded his insides and the nightmares that tortured his mind. Fornax tried not to listen; he felt somehow that he was intruding, so see his companion so vulnerable. Finally he was finished; the poultice would dry shortly and he wouldn't have to make sure that Pilgrim stayed still any longer.

Maelstrom
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Maelstrom » 11/21/2008 11:36 AM

While he waited, Fornax tried to calm Pilgrim a little, talking to him in a calming voice, touching his side to remind him he was there. It seemed to work, because Fornax stopped struggling quite so fiercely and his dreams seemed a little sweeter. The aries took the opportunity to relax a little a shut his eyes for a moment. He wished he could sleep, but knew that if he wanted Pilgrim to live to greet the dawn, he would have to remain awake tonight.

When the poultice was finally dry, Fornax heaved himself up and tended the fire again. He frowned; they were already nearly out of fuel. He would have to make a quick trip to find more. Taking one last look at Pilgrim, still in pain and resting fitfully, he left.

Maelstrom
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

PreviousNext