A mysterious area, explorers tend to go missing and never return. A low fog constantly blankets the forest floor and strange sounds have been reported being heard during the day. Not much else is known about the forest. (+3 Speed, +2 Endurance)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Whisper Forest

Can You Really Just @(private)@ Waltz Right In?

Postby Chayden » 11/11/2010 8:52 PM

Xenri ! female

Ragged breathing is always suspicious when it sounds in an otherwise silent forest at dusk.
It was coming from a rather bedraggled-looking thing who, for once, appeared exactly like she was supposed to: as a Lykuhna. She tried to ignore the strange, unpredictable transformations she went through every month, but it was nearly impossible for others to. She may as well have been taken from her own body and slapped into another's, so unrecognizable they made her. The only thing that always remains is her eyes. Not even her voice is left intact.
Right now, that was the farthest thing from her mind. She was more worried about keeping away from the enraged "partner" she had been sent from the Cirque with. No member was allowed out alone, but it made the Lykuhna depressed. She'd had enough of the constant surveillance during her time at the labs.

"Xenri, get back here, damnit, I'll have your neck!"

If Xenri had had enough air to breathe properly, she still would not have replied to this. She kept perfectly still,  hiding up on a branch of a thick tree. Just a few more minutes, and this escapade would be successful; a few more minutes, and she would be free.
She just wanted to be able to return home when this (whatever it was) was all over.

(Ugh. Please excuse the horrid use of tense, Mousen! D:> I promise, the next few will be better <3)
Chayden
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Pets | Items
Keystones: 106
Donate

Re: Can You Really Just @(private)@ Waltz Right In?

Postby Mousen » 11/11/2010 9:19 PM

Had he really overslept that much?

The autumn forest was a sight to behold, providing it wasn't covered in the grey pea-soup mist that the Whisper Forest was famous for. Even so, the usual grey and green of the forest was replaced with splashes of orange, red and yellow where the damp leaves fell, they had yet to turn brown with mud and decomposition as they were trodden underfoot. Unlike leaves everywhere else the leaves here didn't crunch under foot, eternally damp these made the slippy narrow paths of the forest even worse.

From his makeshift den, Atlas could see beyond the mist and into the darkening sky. That was what he got for travelling late into the night, a bad back and having to stay here for yet another night. It wasn't that he hated the forest, but it wasn't without it's drawbacks. The only creatures he'd caught glimpses of so far were the secretive fellox that inhabited this wood. Even then it was only for a second. As things went things could have been alot worse for Atlas, then again things could have been easier for him. Most of this was self inflicted, most of this was just his own personality and a desire to travel. He wasn't resentful of that fact, no Atlas was one of the most optimistic men you could meet, despite this he couldn't help but shiver slightly as a cold autumn wind raced through the forest. After a moment he decided he'd try to make a little progress, maybe he'd get a little way before travelling was no longer an option. He picked up the very patched, very mucky and very worn, once khaki rucksack, that and it's contents were the only thing he owned. That and a stack of letters that he kept with a trusted friend.

((No worries and I'm not sure if you wanted animal or human form so I kinda just left it ambiguous. Also, it's a tad short. PX Sorry. X3 ))

We’re all hysterical & going nowhere together.

C’mon rapture. Let’s go bedazzling.

Nothing gets futured without its own spitshine
& I’m already not not not not not not miraculous.

Mousen
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Keystones: 160
Donate
Status: Jack of all trades is master of none, but better than a Master's degree.

Postby Chayden » 11/11/2010 10:06 PM

(emmm.. Let's say quad for this one, then maybe human, if we decide to do another sometime? c:)

Xenri dug her claws into the bark of the tree as she watched the one she had evaded pass below her in a blur of color. She hadn't even bothered to notice who exactly had come with her out here; she didn't want to lie later when she told the other members of the Cirque that she couldn't remember. So she closed her eyes and inhaled the comforting scents of the forest: peat, soggy leaves, cool wind, and... Kuhnas?
Long-disused instincts stirred within the Lykuhna as she searched for the Kuhna with her eyes, still not bold enough to move a muscle.
Who are you? she wondered, unable to decide which type of Kuhna he was. She was tempted to say that he possessed Kamo blood not unlike her own...
A small squish from below her perch made Xenri freeze. This could be him...! With a quiet sensation of both dread and excitement, she let herself fall.

(~My replies will probably get longer once they actually come in contact ;P)
Chayden
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Mousen » 11/12/2010 7:38 AM

Atlas frowned to himself, unable to shake the feeling of being watched. Not only was he slightly behind schedule, he was going paranoid too. "Get a grip on yourself Atlas." he murmured. He must be loosing it. Naturally he was unaware of the yellow eyes that followed his movements, despite Atlas being rather intuitive at times he could also be dreadfully unobservant. He hadn't thought of gazing up into the hazy tree line.

Behind him there was a soft, but distinct noise. For a moment Atlas just stood there, unsure of what he was going to see when he turned around. He was barely a few feet from whatever was behind him, sadly the wind was against him, making things even more difficult to determine. It had sounded like the soft hollow sound of something hitting the ground on all fours, even if it was slightly muffled by the sodden leaves. Tentatively he turned around, after a moment his orange eyes fell upon the brown fur of a lykuhna, immediately his first instinct was to take a step backwards, if only because of the nasty rumours that were spread about them, after a moment of deliberation he ignored that instinct. Just because something had a reputation it didn't mean they had to follow it, after all, he was a trench kuhna, a species famous for being paranoid! In his own opinion Atlas thought himself to be a very easy going person, far off from what most expected.

Mousen
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate
Status: Jack of all trades is master of none, but better than a Master's degree.

Postby Chayden » 11/12/2010 5:57 PM

Xenri had to resist the temptation to hiss and spit at this creature. She didn't know who he was, or what he was capable of; she only had first impressions, and she disliked those. So many others had judged her dangerous simply because of her appearance. Still others assumed her poor and dumb because she lived at the Cirque. This wasn't so. She was treated very well at the Cirque, her rights remained firmly intact, and she was in control of her own actions.
It's as if I'm some sort of god-killing virus. They avoid me like that's the case. The Lykuhna was disgusted, and so spat on the forest floor to dispel the nasty feelings. Here he was, the thing that had distracted her from the escape, and she was letting herself become distracted! Although "escape" denoted poor thoughts of those who had stood by her... No matter. Xenri needed to focus.
She peered at the Trench Kuhna with one eye at a time, turning her head slowly from side to side in order to accommodate. Her soft chirrup indicated her curiosity but, other than that, she made no sound.
Chayden
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Mousen » 11/20/2010 7:10 PM

"I'm sorry. For year's during my travels I was always labelled as paranoid, it's nothing like the reputation you've obviously had to endure-- I apologise." Still he wasn't sure if this creature was friend or foe, he usually at first counted everyone as the former until proven otherwise, but this wasn't the best area for such assumptions-- In places like this assumptions got you killed. The Whisper Forest was famous for disappearances, every leaf rustling, ever breath of mist could easily be another shadow, another figure. Someone who didn't have the same passive intentions as he. Oh, that was good, just as he was saying how he wasn't paranoid his thoughts were occupied with all the dangers the forest may hide. What a way to contradict himself.

He glanced at the lykuhna, clearly he had angered her somewhat, which wasn't the smartest thing to do on the whole. All he could really do was wait and run if things got nasty.

(Massive fail. And sorry for the massive wait. O.o; )

Mousen
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Chayden » 11/22/2010 6:15 PM

Xenri couldn't help it. She crouched back on her haunches and laughed like the little girl she was, going so far as to hold one paw against her chest daintily. Her membranous wings fluttered with amusement, and her ears perked up.
"I like you, stranger," she professed, blinking tears of laughter away. The Lykuhna let out a few last chirrups before calming down a bit. "Do you always start conversations like that?"
She would've commented on his words about her reputation, but they did not phase her. It was true that she had garnered one for herself, although it was false. Xenri wasn't quite so menacing and alien as everyone seemed to think. In fact, this Kuhna here probably posed more of a threat to them than she did, as she was not inclined to fight for anything.
She studied him. The Lykuhna wanted to remember everything about this male she had met falling from a tree, from his eye color to whatever traces of forest he might have picked up beneath his claws. It wasn't very often at all that she could be alone with someone like this... It was exhilarating. The dilation of her pupils proved that much.

(<3 It's fine, love!)
Chayden
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Mousen » 01/06/2011 2:12 PM

Well, he'd made her laugh. That was a start. It meant he probably wasn't going to end up as grilled bread product. He shot her a sheepish expression, shrugging his shoulder slightly. "Well, that depends on how much of a fool I can make of myself before they walk away." Atlas raised his eyebrows slightly his two tails moving from side to side ever so slightly. In all honesty he was acted more canine than feline, it was more in his jovial, laid back attitude more than anything. Perhaps that was his way of being charming, judging by the slight grin on his features it probably was.

"I go by Atlas, Atlas Millet if you want to be proper. I prefer Atlas myself, though." He was curious about her, one minute she seemed to be ready to dig her dainty claws into the back of his head, the next she was laughing with him (or should that be at him? Atlas couldn't tell). She seemed sane enough for him to assume that she wasn't completely insane, but truth be told Atlas wasn't always all there himself so he couldn't really make a judgement. "Might I be lucky enough to catch your name, Miss?" He added, somewhat awkwardly after a moment of silence. That seemed to be his style though, awkward, but strangely endearing.

(*Kicks muse into gear* One down, one to go <3)

Mousen
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Chayden » 01/07/2011 5:29 PM

Xenri returned the grin that Atlas shot at her. Hers was a lopsided, mischievous grin like the ones commonly seen on the faces of boys. But, contrary to her rag-tag appearance, she was not a boy.
Actually, she loved being a girl. Nobody ever looked to her for guidance or direction; no one feared that she would steal away their daughters. All in all, she was the cause of much less fear now than she would have been as a male (without even mentioning that most males grew to be twice her size, and she was no tiny lady).
"It's Xenri," she replied, cocking an eyebrow at the other Kuhna. "I've never met someone named Atlas before. How strange." The Lykuhna meant no harm in saying that. She simply had not had enough social interaction to know the bounds of etiquette as of yet. In short, she was learning...
She had a long way to go before she could be classed as 'polite', and even longer until society would accept her as more than just a show.
Chayden
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Mousen » 01/08/2011 10:13 AM

"Xenri..." Atlas echoed, tasting the name on his tongue. "Pretty." He said simply, at the mention of his name Atlas just shrugged. "Well it's a pretty unusual name. I haven't met anyone named Atlas either." He laughed a little at his own joke. Well it was true, he hadn't met anyone named Atlas before. You couldn't exactly 'meet' yourself, could you? Unless you were in a dream or something. For a while it was silent as Atlas considered the various ways in which one might meet themselves.

"Oh." He said after a moment, realizing he'd been spacing out for a while. "Sorry, I tend to do that when I'm thinking." Atlas was one of those people that spent a great deal of time thinking, he didn't often think of anything interesting, it was more just strange philosophy that no one aside from himself could understand. At times,even Atlas managed to confuse himself. "So, what brings you here, if you don't mind me asking?" He wouldn't press the matter further if the lykuhna wanted to be left alone, but he was curious nevertheless.

Mousen
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Chayden » 01/08/2011 3:09 PM

"Ah..! Thank you." Xenri blushed at the seemingly meaningless compliment she was given. Praise? Is that what it was? She had never done anything praiseworthy in her entire life, and then this stranger comes in and found something good in her? She had given herself that name, but had never expected this from it...
"No one speaks to me so kindly, where I come from." she admitted, her words carrying a tinge of sadness. No - she should be grateful to them...
"It's okay," the Lykuhna smiled, becoming more warm and feminine without realizing it. Strange. "I wanted to get away. I'll have you know now: I'm different."
Needless to say, the hardened, blank look she cast as she said that completely obliterated her sense of childishness. The situation rushed back to Xenri all at once. Here, she was a fugitive. She had escaped a muted sentence. They might tell her that she was free to go, but it was not a crime to lie to such a monster. The one with no true form... What difference would it make, should she be shackled? Who would care?
It seemed that no one ever would...
Chayden
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Mousen » 01/14/2011 6:38 PM

"Don't mention it." He said, waving a paw. At Xenri's comment Atlas' expression soured ever so slightly. "Really?" He asked her, sounding vaguely surprised. "Maybe they should. Goodness knows people need cheering up once in a while." Atlas couldn't deny that he was curious as to where she came from-- possibly too curious. There was no doubt that he'd always been too curious, though he wouldn't dare ask. He wouldn't risk upsetting her, her 'home' could be a delicate subject for her.

Again his expression hardened as hers did. "Different is good," He paused. "I might happen to like different." His voice took on a determined note, perhaps trying to make Xenri feel a bit better about herself. From what he'd heard from her the girl she seemed like someone who deserved a good turn. Upon realizing what he said he blushed trough his fur, not that is showed. "I mean-" He began hastily. "Well, you know what I mean. I hope." He said, hoping to sound offhand through his nervous laughter. He didn't manage it. Which was probably just as well, in retrospect.

Mousen
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Chayden » 02/27/2011 4:04 PM

"Perhaps," she sighed, a touch of far-away sadness in her voice. "But, once again, you'd be the first. To me, "friends" and "myths" may as well be the same thing."
Xenri shook her head, half to change her train of thought, and half in disapproval. Of whom, though? Even she wasn't sure. Perhaps it was disapproval of herself.
"You know at least a bit of why I've come here, but what about you? Ah, don't tell me we're both running away from something!" The Lykuhna's face took on an expression of comic worry, and she shook her wings. The movement mussed her already unkempt fur; her wings were larger than most Lykuhnas. Had she ever seen the difference, she may have wondered whether she could fly. Being a circus act didn't leave much time for casually meeting others, though. Generally, the only ones she got to talk to were the ones in charge of when her performance was up.
Does walking around the audience lead by ropes even count as a performance? I don't know... I'm not dangerous...!
Tears welled up in the poor thing's eyes. She tried to hold them back for the time being. Crying, as far as she knew, was not socially acceptable in this context. Making friends =/= crying at them.
Chayden
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Mousen » 02/27/2011 8:38 PM

"I did hope to go through today without being compared to a centaur again..." Atlas sighed comically, the expression afterwards impish. Clearly he was one of those people which would try and cheer people up, no matter the circumstances. It did make one wonder though; when had he last been compared to a centaur?

At the lykuhna's words, Atlas's impish expression grew somewhat thoughtful, not sad, per say, merely nostalgic. "Running away from reality perhaps, otherwise, the only thing I'm really running from is mosquitoes. Can't stand the things. Awful with legs and wings and lots of legs and they bite and everything." The kuhna suppressed a shudder, he really didn't like mosquitoes. "In all seriousness I'm a traveler. It's an idyllic way of life, though not without it's problems." Like the time he got his head stuck in the railings near one of the bridges, he had to wait six hours before anyone came by to rescue him. Then there was the time he was chased out of some farmland by a shielupe on the account of poor old Atlas being like 'one o' those sheep stealin' good fer nothin' gypsy folk'. Problematic was by all means an understatement, but problematic was better than paperwork by Atlas' standards.

The kuhna's ears flicked back for a moment, a look of concern flashing across his face. He took a hesitant step toward Xenri, more than a little confused by her behavior. "Xenri? A-are you allright? I- I um, mean if its something I said... You don't remind me of a mosquito at all! Er... I, um... Are you okay?"

Mousen
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Chayden » 02/27/2011 10:02 PM

[D:< Mousen, you speedy thing! How could you be so... so speedy?! Grooooar! /jkilubby~<3]
Xenri didn't flinch, miraculously, as Atlas came closer.
"I'm not dangerous," she defended, pouting like a child. "They bind me. I don't bite. Sometimes I'm scary, but I wouldn't hurt anyone! Not even if they hurt me..." The female's voice petered out, and she was reduced to a blubbering mess. She let herself sink down on her haunches, hanging her head in shame and covering it with those huge, bat-like wings of hers.
She sniffled, trying to think about what he said instead of wallowing in self-pity, or whatever it was. "I-I know you don't Atlas... I'm a bat, not a mosquito. See?" She flapped her wings at him.
...Weak joke.
"I'm okay, I'm okay," Xenri chanted, trying to convince herself as much as she was trying to convince the Trench. "Don't worry about me. I'm being a selfish thing, centaur boy."
Now she was able to chuckle dryly. "Who was it who compared you to one of those things, again? It's not as if we're even close to being as big as one, Kamo blood or not."
...Perhaps she was bi-polar.
Chayden
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Next