A mysterious area, explorers tend to go missing and never return. A low fog constantly blankets the forest floor and strange sounds have been reported being heard during the day. Not much else is known about the forest. (+3 Speed, +2 Endurance)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Whisper Forest

Re: Captured by the Circus (Self)

Postby Thunder » 05/22/2012 8:43 PM

Aban, feeling pretty hungry, finished the breakfast quickly. She felt happier on a full stomach, though she knew she still had the massive problem of somehow fleeing from Le Cirque du Feu. She handed the napkin and now-empty plastic bowl to Mavra, who went over to dispose of the objects in the trash.

Mavra had hardly dropped the objects, though, when the door suddenly flew open with a loud BANG!

The two Kuhnas yelped in fright simultaneously as a strange black blur whizzed into the nurse's office. A loud cackle filled the air, and whatever it was crashed on top of the drawer with all the medicine bottles on it. Several of the bottles fell onto the ground, some popping open and sending pills and tablets rolling everywhere. The black mass rose, shook itself, and turned around.

"Jotsueil!" Mavra gasped, shrinking away from the Ferrikoon.

"Mavra!" Jotsueil laughed, eyeing her with wicked glee. "So I heard you were keeping a little...secret from our dear Ringmaster!" The Ferrikoon glared at Aban pointedly, and the Treat Kuhna felt very nervous and scared again. Her fur rose in alarm. Mavra, though shocked by Jotsueil's appearance at first, glared at him when she heard this and stepped closer to him.

"She's injured," the nurse hissed. But Jotsueil just cackled again.

"Aww, lookit the wittle nurse trying to fight big bad Jotsueil," he sneered. "Mavra, that injured person is an outsider. I'm sure you should know the Ringmaster's policy on outsiders by now."

"We will get her out of the circus as soon as she's healed!"

"HAH! That's funny! And how should we know that she won't blab about what she's seen here once she gets out? Unacceptable, totally unacceptable!"

As abruptly as he zoomed into the room, Jotsueil leaped off of the drawer, flying at a blinding speed over to Aban. He roughly picked her up, and Aban let out a cry of pain as her broken arm was dragged across the bed. Mavra shrieked for the Ferrikoon to stop, but before she could move, Jotsueil was speeding back out of the open door.

"If everyone is one, none will be afraid."

Pen~Breeders~Trades~Wishes~Rentals
Thunder
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Keystones: 877
Donate

Postby Thunder » 07/24/2012 4:31 PM

Aban's head spun as Jotsueil flew at dizzying speeds down the hallway. The maroon door of Mavra's office was getting further and further away, and the darkness was closing in. The Kuhna's broken leg was screaming with pain now, and Aban thought she'd faint. She had no idea where this Ferrikoon was taking her, but she guessed he was going to show her to the Ringmaster. What sort of dreaded punishment awaited her?

Jotsueil turned into a corridor that jutted out of the one they were in. Aban was certain that the corridor hadn't been there yesterday, but Gartrie had said that space worked oddly in the big top. At the end of the corridor was a wide, open room full of creature of all shapes, colors, and sizes, gathered in front of a small stage with an elevated podium. When Jotsueil entered, cackling madly, everyone in the crowd turned to stare at him and Aban. Aban scanned the crowd and saw Gartrie near the center, who met her gaze with a shocked expression. And standing at the podium was...

Jotsueil roughly dropped Aban in front of the podium, sending another wave of sharp pain through her leg. Aban groaned and tried to pick herself up. She stared at the Ringmaster wearily, dreading what was to come next. The crowd began to whisper, and Jotsueil alighted on a stool next to the podium.

"I've brought the outsider, master!" he laughed gleefully.

"Very good, very good," the Ringmaster praised. His eyes locked onto Aban, and immediately the Kuhna felt a deep fear course through her. Don't look at him! her mind was saying. But he had her hypnotized. She couldn't glance away.

Thunder
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Thunder » 07/24/2012 4:53 PM

"Little Kuhna," the Ringmaster began. His voice was soft, yet threatening. "Do you know why you have been brought here today?" Aban tried to reply, but she found herself mute. The fear the Fuyuzakura Shinzo was afflicting her with was just too strong. "No? Well, I'll have to inform you, then."

He raised his head slightly, speaking louder so the whole audience could hear. "Little Kuhna, you have trespassed on the territory of Le Cirque du Feu. No one is allowed to enter our big top unless it's show time. Outsiders are strictly forbidden. Because you have broken this sacred rule, I am afraid that I cannot allow you to leave the circus. What goes on behind the scenes is top secret...isn't that right, everyone?" A low murmur of "yes's" echoed throughout the room.

"And thus," the Ringmaster continued, returning his unholy gaze to Aban, "you are here today to receive your punishment. I will-"

"DON'T DO IT!" someone in the crowd roared. Everyone looked up- it was Gartrie, enraged and snarling. The Ringmaster's eyes narrowed.

"Gartrie. You have been with us for a long time. Surely you understand the policy for outsiders."

"I do. But she has done nothing wrong. She entered the big top by mistake. Furthermore, she broke her leg when she fell down here...how much more hurt do you wish to inflict on her?"

"Gartrie, don't!" It was Mavra's voice; the other Kuhna had also entered the room. Gartrie looked over his shoulder and glared at her. Aban's heart began racing. If she didn't do something now, Gartrie might get terribly hurt.

"STOP!" Aban yelled at the top of her lungs.

Thunder
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Thunder » 07/24/2012 5:03 PM

The whole room fell silent, and all eyes returned to her. Once Aban had caught everyone's attention, she whirled around and looked up at the Ringmaster, determination written all over her face. She was still scared, but she had to do it. "I'll stay with your circus, that's fine," she growled. The Ringmaster looked somewhat surprised. "If I can't get out, then I'll perform for you."

"Oh?" the Shinzo said. His surprise faded and was replaced by an expression of cold scorn. "And what talents do you have to offer, little Kuhna?"

"I...I can juggle," Aban stammered. The Ringmaster contemplated her words for a moment, and then he turned to Jotsueil.

"Jotsueil." The Ferrikoon immediately snapped to attention. "I want you to go get our torches." The Ferrikoon nodded and zoomed off of the stool, heading back through the passage and into the dark. The Ringmaster turned back to Aban. "Little Kuhna, if you manage to perform this next task successfully, I'll lift the punishment I had in mind. But if you fail, expect me to continue with my plans."

"SHE HAS A BROKEN LEG!" Gartrie roared again. The Ringmaster directed a sharp look at Gartrie, and the Kirund fell silent.

"It's okay, Gartrie," Aban said, turning towards the crowd. "I can...I can do it with one broken leg." The audience began whispering yet again.

"Are you sure?" Gartrie growled.

"...yes. Yes, I'm sure. You have to believe in me."

Thunder
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Thunder » 07/24/2012 5:23 PM

Just seconds after Aban finished speaking, Jotsueil zipped back into the room, carrying five juggling torches. Aban's eyes widened at the sight of the items. They were exactly like regular juggling torches in all but one way- these had rings of spikes on them, meaning that she'd have to be extra careful about how she'd catch them. Jotsueil presented the torches to Aban, who took them carefully. She weighed one of the torches in her good paw experimentally, trying to judge how she'd toss it.

"Your goal," the Ringmaster continued, "is to juggle all five of these torches for thirty seconds straight. I'm only giving you one chance. If you drop just one of them, you fail the test. Do you understand?" Aban nodded. She was terribly nervous, but there was no turning back. "Very well. If you're ready, then, I shall light them."

Aban took two of the torches in her good paw, and then grasped the other three in her twin tails. "I'm ready," she replied solemnly.

The Ringmaster raised one hand and snapped his claws. All five torches burst into flame simultaneously, startling Aban for a moment. She recovered by taking a deep breath, and she tried not to think about the heat that was so close to her fur. Once she was focused, she rose up on her hind legs and tossed one of the torches in her hand into the air, and her tails did the same.

She had no time to worry about the spikes piercing her skin. Aban quickly tossed up the second torch in her paw and caught the first one she threw. At the same time, her tails began passing the three torches around in a circular motion. There were awed gasps from the crowd, and several of the troupe members began to cheer. The Ringmaster looked on coldly, counting the seconds in his head.

Thunder
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Thunder » 07/24/2012 5:34 PM

So far, so good. Aban hadn't dropped the torches yet, and she estimated that she had been going on for about ten seconds. The crowd's cheers were getting louder. Even Jotsueil was gazing at the flying torches in wonder. Aban's mouth managed to twist into a small smile. Yes! she thought. I'm doing it!

But at that moment, Aban felt something singe her tail. The smell of burned fur rose in the air. She yowled in pain and flinched, nearly breaking her juggles in the process. The crowd gasped in horror as her tempo wavered, and she could hear Jotsueil hiss in delight. The Ringmaster looked on, delighted. No! I can't mess up now! I'm so close!

The Kuhna tried to block out the pain and somehow managed to fix her tempo. Her audience cried in relief and started clapping to the pace of her throws. The Ringmaster frowned, clearly not pleased that she had corrected herself, and began counting down the seconds out loud.

"Ten...nine..."

Aban gritted her teeth.

"Eight...seven..."

Catch. Throw. Catch. Throw.

"Six...five..."

"GO ABAN!" Gartrie hollered.

"Four..three..."

"Aban!" Mavra cheered.

"Two...one..."

Thunder
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Thunder » 07/24/2012 5:53 PM

POOF!

Smoke filled the air as the five torches exploded into smoke. The circus burst into a victorious uproar, while the Ringmaster sighed and shook his head. Aban gasped in delight. "I did it!" she whispered to herself. "I really did it!"

"Wonderful!" Jotsueil cried. He jumped up and down on his stool. "Marvelous! Magnifi-"

The Ringmaster slapped Jotsueil on the cheek with his forked tail, earning a squeak out of the Ferrikoon. He approached Aban and stared down at her. He seemed disappointed and impressed at the same time.

"I did not expect you to do so well," he commented. "But a promise is a promise. For passing my test, your punishment will be lifted. I'll even be generous and keep Gartrie and Mavra out of trouble too." Aban beamed at this unexpectedly happy result, and she glanced at the crowd to see Gartrie and Mavra rejoicing together. "However, if you or your little friends step out of line again, your punishment will be twofold. Understand?"

"Yes, Ringmaster." Aban was too happy to protest. "I understand."

The Ringmaster lifted his head and slapped his tail on the stage several times to silence the crowd. "Attention!" he hollered. The cheering died down. "The meeting is now concluded! Our next performance will be in two weeks! Everyone better start shaping up now! And you..." He glanced back down at Aban. "I expect you to perform too, regardless of whether your leg has recovered or not. Does everyone hear me?"

"Yes, Ringmaster," answered the circus.

Thunder
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Thunder » 07/24/2012 6:03 PM

With that, the Ringmaster stepped off of the stage and exited the room, Jotsueil following close behind. Aban walked slowly off the stage, her leg still hurting and the singed bit of her tail still stinging. Some of the crowd departed, while others went up to congratulate her. She smiled and thanked everyone before walking up to Gartrie and Mavra.

"That was excellent!" Gartrie laughed, patting Aban on the head with his paw.

"Is your tail okay?" Mavra asked, looking over the burnt spot in concern.

"It doesn't hurt too bad," Aban replied, "though my leg is killing me now thanks to Jotsueil." Mavra quickly inspected her tail before nodding and moving on to look at Aban's leg again.

"The flames only brushed the spot," Mavra told her. "It's a minor burn. I'll put some cream on it back at the office. Your leg, though..." The nurse frowned. "Your leg seems slightly worse due to how Jotsueil dragged you out of my office. I can't believe that guy. I'm not sure if it will be able to heal completely in time for the performance."

"You do realize that the Ringmaster will expect her to practice with that leg?" Gartrie said to Mavra.

"I do. It's unfortunate...but Aban, if you want to survive in this place, I'm afraid you'll have to tolerate it. Try to use your leg as little as possible."

"I'll be fine," Aban laughed. "I just juggled without the broken leg, didn't I?" Mavra chuckled and smiled warmly at her.

"Come on, then," Mavra sighed. "Let's get you fixed up."

As the trio headed out of the room, Aban glanced around at the troupe members still lingering around. In the corner of the room was a large dragon with unusually long limbs, staring at the empty podium quietly with sunken eyes.

When she saw him, a small thrill suddenly coursed through her heart, as if there was still hope left for her escape.

((Continued in A Shimmer of Hope.))

Thunder
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

Previous