A mysterious area, explorers tend to go missing and never return. A low fog constantly blankets the forest floor and strange sounds have been reported being heard during the day. Not much else is known about the forest. (+3 Speed, +2 Endurance)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Whisper Forest

Where Historical Accuracy Goes To Die.

Postby Mousen » 12/01/2013 5:38 PM

Prologue:
Knaresborough Castle - 13th Century A.D.

The two knights were sat in one of the smaller rooms of Knaresborough castle, it was evening and without the large fire crackling away in the fireplace, the room would be bitterly cold. They were sat, facing each other with a chessboard on the table between them. The older knight was clearly winning, he was chatting casually as the other knight stared blankly at the flagstone floor.

"...Gouen, are you listening to me? I understand that thieves on the road to Helmsley aren't exactly the most fascinating of subjects, but they must be dealt with. I was thinking that you and I could ride out tomorrow... Gouen!"

"Oh. My apologies, I was elsewhere." The other knight was slightly younger than the first, but not my much. He was a rather intimidating fellow, with a serious expression and scruffy, dark hair. "It's a good idea to deal with the thieves as soon as possible. I was going to visit Rievaulx tomorrow, if you can accompany me we can see what the complaints have been about." Gouen moved his bishop several squares, he could already see that he'd sacrificed it to his opponent's queen.

John frowned slightly, pacified by Gouen's response. "There's something troubling you, I see."

He nodded. "Yes, it's why I rode up here yesterday. Although, there's no substance behind it."

"What do you mean?"

"There's something wrong. I've felt the most oppressive gloom hanging over us all for days, it seems foolish, but I thought to perhaps warn you."

John laughed, it was a strong, booming guffaw of a laugh. "Warn me? You sound like you're loosing your mind."

Gouen sighed, he looked tired and a little lost. Whatever this was, it was troubling him deeply. "Perhaps I am, but surely you still trust my judgement?"

John inclined his head. "Yes, of course." There was a slight click, as John maneuvered one of his chess pieces across the board. The younger knight was playing atrociously today, John should win in a few moves. "I take it this is why you're so set on heading to Rievaulx tomorrow, for a bit of spiritual guidance?"

"Indeed it is."

We’re all hysterical & going nowhere together.

C’mon rapture. Let’s go bedazzling.

Nothing gets futured without its own spitshine
& I’m already not not not not not not miraculous.

Mousen
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Keystones: 160
Donate
Status: Jack of all trades is master of none, but better than a Master's degree.

Re: Where Historical Accuracy Goes To Die. [P]

Postby Mousen » 12/01/2013 5:51 PM

Prologue -
The World's End Inn, Knaresborough. 13th Century A.D.

Ivan knew that it was dangerous to stay around this area for long. The World's End Inn was too close to Knaresborough Castle for comfort; many of the knights there would recognize him on sight, even in this pitiful state. Admittedly, the two blue roan greyhounds didn't help, but they were loyal to him and the only things he had left now. He couldn't sell Muskaliet and Carbuncle, they were simply to dear to him. Although, he could see how that made him vulnerable.

Still, this was the choice he'd made, and it was a choice he'd have to stick to. He could hear the river Nid just beneath his window, with all of the rain they'd had recently it was flowing fast. He'd heard that Knaresborough flooded rarely, and the river would more often flood down at York instead.

York. Hm. It was where he was headed next, but it was a long trip and he'd been trying to put it off until spring. Ivan wondered if he'd have the luxury of that.

The former knight sighed, slightly. He wouldn't sleep tonight. One of his hunting dogs, Carbuncle, was fast asleep by his side. The dog, dreaming about something, whined and wagged it's tail.

"Chasing rabbits again, boy?" Ivan asked quietly, but the dog didn't stir.

Mousen
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate
Status: Jack of all trades is master of none, but better than a Master's degree.

Re: Where Historical Accuracy Goes To Die. [P]

Postby Mousen » 12/01/2013 6:07 PM

Prologue:
Dalby Forest, Yorkshire. 13th century A.D.

There was something afoot. She knew this much. The sun had just set, and already a faint moon was hanging in the sky. It was bitter cold, and it was all Idla could do to shiver through the rags she wore. She had a simple dwelling in the woods, and she'd return to it soon enough, once this was complete.

The rabbit she'd caught this afternoon hung limply over her shoulder as she walked. She was barefoot, and her breath condensed in the air. Suddenly, she stopped. Here was good enough. She kicked the leaves from the forest floor until there was a bare patch of earth in front of her.

A small knife hung in a sheath by her side. She took this, and held the rabbit in her other hand. It's lifeless eyes stared back at her and she felt a momentary pang of sadness. Unfortunately for the rabbit, this was a necessary evil.

It was with that thought she began the reading.

Idla, hands covered in blood, with her rabbit, now free of it's entrails, laid at her feet. She looked at the mess of organs and blood on the forest floor and frowned.

This didn't make any sense at all.

Mousen
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Re: Where Historical Accuracy Goes To Die. [P|G,L]

Postby Mousen » 12/01/2013 6:38 PM

Prologue:
Various places in Britain- 13th Century A.D.

Knaresborough Castle:

Lissebette had been working on a piece of embroidery for most of the day, and as the light had gone she'd finally put it aside. Part of her, a small part, reflected on how much she hated embroidery and on how  she'd dearly love to throw it all in the fire. But, this was how things were, and it wasn't good to think like that. She had a life now, a happy one with her husband John and her son. Things were good.

Phillip Sonthiel, son of Lissebette and John Sonthiel had, had a busy day. He was a page, and would be a page until he turned fourteen, at which point he would be apprenticed to a knight. He couldn't wait for that day, to have a little bit more freedom. A busy day consisted of learning manners from the ladies at the court being given some basic lessons in swordsman ship. It was boring. On the brightside, he'd managed to escape for long enough to have an argument with a squire from a visiting Castle. God, he'd been so dull-witted. Apparently, he was the squire of one of his father's oldest friends! How he'd ever managed to become a squire to a knight like that was entirely beyond Phillip. When Phillip became a squire, he'd be so much better than that idiot Cadby.

As the light had faded, Cadby had decided that it was a good idea to turn in for the night and so returned to Gouen's quaters, where a pallet had been set up for him. It was very early, but they'd be setting of equally early the next day. It paid to be prepared. Cadby always enjoyed visiting Knaresborough, although that was mostly because the last few times he'd visited he'd overheard Sir Gouen talking to Sir John about how much progress he was making. Like that idiotic page knew anything, he was just a stupid kid! If he really knew how much Sir Gouen valued him, then he wouldn't have said anything at all.

Rievaulx Abbey:

Caedmon laid awake in the choir monk's dormitory, staring up at the vaulted ceiling. He could hear the sounds of his fellow Brothers' snoring, although it wasn't that, that was keeping him awake. (And thank goodness it wasn't that, because otherwise he'd never get any sleep at all.) Perhaps he was just anxious, tomorrow was a big day for him. Caedmon had finally decided to pluck up his courage and ask to leave the monastery for a short time, he'd only ever left the monastery once before and that had been several years previously. Being someone who'd spent his entire life in the confines of Rievaulx abbey, he was more than curious about the outside world.

Somewhere near Wales:

Reynard was lost. Which wasn't an entirely new phenomenon, being someone that tended to get lost rather easily. Although, this was probably a new record for him. He'd only to take a message from the Lord of his castle to another, really it shouldn't have been that difficult.
Oh dear. There was probably going to be a war or something because of him, the message would never be delivered and something awful would happen due to his incompetence. That'd be just his luck. Reynard looked out into the darkness, where he could see hills and dales in the daylight and shivered. It was just lucky he'd come across this village when he'd had, perhaps when dawn broke he could ask the villagers for directions. Maybe everything would work out okay.

Mousen
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Mousen » 12/01/2013 6:53 PM

Whisper Forest, Evelon. Present Day.

The first thing Gouen noticed when he awoke was the smell, the earthy smell of rotting leaves and the forest. The second thing he noticed was a pair of bright yellow eyes vanishing into the mist.
Wait. Mist?
He sat up suddenly and went to put a hand to his head. This wasn't right at all.

Wait. That wasn't a hand, it was a paw.

"By God's bones!" He twisted to look at himself. Blue, white, spikes coming from the shoulders, decidedly canine. Oh no. Clearly this must be some twisted dream or illusion. That, or he actually was going mad.

"Gouen, what on earth are you cursing about?" John barked, from somewhere out of sight.

His head was spinning. "Have you turned into a wolf too?"

"What on earth are-- Oh. No. This is insane! Absolutely insane! What is going on?!" John's speech turned indecipherable, as he descended into curses. Same old John, then.

From somewhere else, out of sight but not too far away there was a call. "Is anyone there?"

Gouen recognized that voice. "Sir Reynard? Is that you?"

Mousen
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Mousen » 12/01/2013 7:00 PM

"Oh," The voice replied, decidedly closer. "In a manner of speaking, I suppose. I do remember quite clearly being Reynard when I went to sleep, although I question whether I've woken up as Reynard and not as someone else entirely."

Gouen grinned as the mostly dark-furred lucain came into view. "I would say that if anything, you've woken up as something else, rather than someone else."

"It seems we all have, Sir Gouen."

With a tight smile (something he'd previously assumed canines weren't capable of), he turned his attention to finding anyone else that was here. "John! Are you still there?"

John didn't reply, but a red and cream lucain appeared from the mist a moment later. "Here."

Mousen
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Mousen » 12/01/2013 7:08 PM

"Sir Gouen! Sir Gouen! Are you there?" The voice was high pitched and fairly panicky, although it sounded close.

John looked across to Gouen. "Isn't that your-" Although he didn't get time to finish his sentence, as Gouen was running towards the direction in which he'd heard the voice.

"Cadby! Where are you?" The concern was audible, Cadby was still fairly young as squires went. It made sense for Gouen to be worried.

"Oh." He could see Cadby quite clearly now, and Gouen couldn't help but burst out laughing. He laughed for a good minute, and during this time, the other knights wandered over to see what the fuss was about.

"What was that for?" Cadby asked, his shock at Gouen's appearance momentarily displaced.

"Cadby, you look like a withered cabbage."

Reynard started to laugh slightly. "Good Lord, he does. Like a cabbage crossed with a terrier."

Mousen
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Mousen » 12/02/2013 6:02 AM

They'd searched around the area for several minutes, trying to see if anyone else had been lost within the woods, although, for the time being it seemed like the four of them were the only ones in the fog-bound forest.

They set off, deciding that it was better to try to find a way out this infernal forest than to sit and rot. Privately, Reynard wondered if the forest had an ending at all, and if they weren't simply going to be trapped there for eternity.

"Sir Reynard, I take it that you are indeed, the Sir Reynard Baudry?"

"If by that you mean the Sir Reynard Baudry that got so hopelessly lost several years ago and ended up wandering about the Yorkshire dales, only to be found by two of Helmsley Castles' finest knights, then yes, it is I." He'd given up being embarrassed about it, these things happened and there was little point dwelling on them.

"Strange that you should end up here as well, do you not think so, Gouen?"

"It's not any stranger than us being here in the first place." Gouen replied evenly.

Mousen
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Mousen » 12/07/2013 7:28 PM

It wasn't long after that, that the knights stumbled across a path. Now, chances are when one stumbles across a path in Whisper Forest, it is only going to lead you deeper into the mist, and you are only going to find yourself more and more lost. Luckily for them, this was one of the few paths that ran straight, and in a mile or so it curled out of the forest and into a little village on the outskirts.

Yellow eyes watched them disappear into the fog, leaving the forest behind them.

"Do you think they saw us?" The lucain was a grey-blue, and it's pelt blended into the the fog surprisingly well. Like this, he looked like little more than a ghost. "T'is a small mercy I managed to keep the hounds at bay." Beside him were two yonyuus, who were sniffing around the forest with great interest.

"We would know if they had." The voice answered simply, coming from several feet above where the lucain was. Idla, perched in the tree as a scarlet kitrel blinked, and a moment later a dark-haired woman dressed in rags jumped down from the branch where she had been.

Ivan's eyes widened. "We can change form?"

She nodded. "It's just a matter of concentration, but forget about it for now. We should concentrate on figuring out where exactly we are."

"I agree."

Mousen
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Mousen » 12/15/2013 1:19 PM

Lisebette woke up in a clearing. She could feel small stones digging into her back, and smell the damp earth and rotting leaves. She didn't move immediately, and instead cast her eyes up to the swirling mist above her. She'd never had a dream like this before, this was more like reality than being asleep. Although, it was too implausible to be anything but.

"What a queer dream." She murmured, rolling over and getting to her feet, all four of them.

That was when the first feelings of panic began. "Oh my." She twisted around to get a better look at herself, and  found that instead of being human she was something else entirely. More to the point, one couldn't expect this clarity of thought in a dream.

Fuck.

The important thing was to keep calm. Perhaps if she didn't panic, everything would make sense in a moment. Lissebette knew this wouldn't be the case, but denial was an acceptable state of being for now.

Mousen
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Mousen » 12/15/2013 2:41 PM

"Mother!"

Caedmon had been awake for time time. He'd been absolutely petrified when he'd woken up as some sort of fiery cat-creature, and assuming it had been something to do with some misdeed on his own part, had been praying fervently ever since. In all honesty, it wasn't helping much.

He quickly sprang to his feet, though, when he heard the cry of a young boy. Not really thinking about anything, other than to help, he ran towards the source of the noise.

He quickly came across a young... er, canine creature with leaves that was glancing around the forest as though demons might jump out at any moment. When he saw Caedmon, he gave a little shriek of terror and fell over.

"If it helps, I suppose I should tell you that I'm not a demon, nor do I mean you any harm."

"That's exactly what a demon would say!"

"Well... Probably, but I expect demons would have fewer whiskers than I. Whiskers are too endearing." Caedmon replied, wiggling his nose for effect. Phillip smiled, and rolled on to his feet. Finally, Caedmon seemed to be getting somewhere.

Mousen
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Mousen » 09/01/2018 3:39 PM

"Phillip! Pip!" Lisebette called, whipping her head around at the sound of her son's voice. She hurried through the forest, her gait awkward as she got used to her new limbs. She found herself wishing for two legs, imaging herself as she remembered and in an instant she'd tumbled over, unbalanced. Claws had almost instantly become fingers, fur to pale skin. She was dressed in her usual day wear, tunic, cloak and headdress.

"Mother!" Phillip called, and she spotted something that looked like a dog that had been grown in a vegetable garden. She knew it had to be her son. With it, was some sort of strange cat.

"What on earth has happened to us?" she asked herself. "Quickly, Phillip, concentrate on not being some kind of lettuce and we've got to get out of here."

"My apologies, Madam," Caedmon began.

"Oh goodness, you talk!"

"Indeed. I am but a humble monk. Well, I used to be. I was yesterday. Please, may I accompany you? We can try to find a way out of this strange land together."

Lissebette thought about it for a moment. "You may, my good sir, if you are virtuous of heart."

Caedmon nodded. He closed his eyes and in a moment Lissebette found herself looking at a young man with pale eyes and cropped hair, dressed in a monk's habit. He bowed to her.

Phillip screwed up his face and hopped up and down and in a moment he became a young boy again. Lissebette enveloped him in a hug.

They moved towards one of the forest paths, just visible through the trees.

Mousen
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Mousen » 09/01/2018 3:47 PM

The knights, meanwhile, were wandering through the forest as lucain. It made for slow going, as unused to their forms as they were.

"Oh, what I wouldn't give to be a gangling-limbed ginger pillock again." Reynard said, as he tripped over his own paws again. "I never thought I should miss being uncoordinated on two legs."

"There's no use complaining about it now, we must venture on." John said, turning round to call after him. "Please try to keep up."

"But I miss my slightly too-pointy elbows and my freckles, which I was really too old to have and did rather make me look like an overgrown child, and my slightly upturned nose and I do believe my feet were slightly odd sizes. Wouldn't you agree, Gouen?"

"I never took the least notice of your feet, Sir Reynard."

"Well, they were. Oh! My hands. My poor hands are now turned to claws and never again will I get to bite my nails or pick up a pen to compose sweet verse- Oh!"

"Tripped again?" Gouen turned to look behind him. "Good lord!"

Reynard was there, stood in his armour, ginger hair curling around his face.

"Perhaps the situation is not so dire as we've feared," John said, a sort of smile coming onto his face. "Good work, Sir Reynard."

"Bless you, Sir."

John and Gouen looked between each other.

"Do you think?" Gouen asked.

"Certainly worth a shot."

A few minutes later, the figures of three knights could be seen disappearing into the mist.

END

Mousen
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate