A mysterious area, explorers tend to go missing and never return. A low fog constantly blankets the forest floor and strange sounds have been reported being heard during the day. Not much else is known about the forest. (+3 Speed, +2 Endurance)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Whisper Forest

Re: Walk in the Stars [P]

Postby MillietheWarrior » 04/04/2014 12:32 AM

A hush fell over the assembled cats, and Bearpaw wondered if she had done something wrong. But as she glanced about, she caught sight of Graystripe, who was beaming proudly. Twisting around, she saw her mentor padding serenely forward, a calm light in her pale blue eyes. The silver she-cat dipped her head, and Bearpaw pressed her nose to Millie's, wondering why everyone was so quiet.

Then a chant was struck up, and Bearpaw heard her name being shouted above the din. She let her gaze rove over the faces, committing them to memory; but one in particular stood out. Jaypaw was still near his den, but he was chanting along with his Clan mates. Bearpaw could've sworn she saw him smiling.

I love adventurous tales like that. That uplifting feeling that comes from seeing unknown lands and the knowledge that you came across—nothing can replace it! It opens a path from which self-confidence, experience, and important friendships—from the sharing of life or death situations—are born! But hearing it just isn’t the same. I want to create my own magnificent story!

A great adventure!

+Imp. Documents+ +Menagerie+ +Wishlist+ +Journal+
MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Keystones: 10
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 04/04/2014 12:33 AM

Firestar's gaze swept his chanting Clan, seeing the disbelief, anger, and, to his surprise and secret amusement, happiness flowing from cat to cat. He had consulted Graystripe and Leafpool long into the night. Had Millie been ready? Both seemed to think she was. Now, it was her turn to prove herself. As Firestar's gaze swept past her, she nodded determinedly, a fierce light in her eyes. She would do her best, no matter what.

The clan meeting was over, and the cats that had gathered below the high rock were dispersing, muttering to their neighbors; laughing, talking, joking and carrying on like usual. As Bearpaw and Stormypaw descended from the rock, their mentors heading off to speak with Firestar, they were assailed by two flying balls of fur; one black, and one a light gold.

I love adventurous tales like that. That uplifting feeling that comes from seeing unknown lands and the knowledge that you came across—nothing can replace it! It opens a path from which self-confidence, experience, and important friendships—from the sharing of life or death situations—are born! But hearing it just isn’t the same. I want to create my own magnificent story!

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 04/04/2014 12:33 AM

"Congratulations!" Hollypaw crooned, eyeing Stormypaw and Bearpaw appreciatively. Her smile was contagious, and, despite not knowing who she really was, Bearpaw found herself smiling as well.

"Er, thanks," she murmured, looking regally embarrassed. Lionpaw was watching her closely, a large grin on his handsome face. Bearpaw wondered why every cat had to stare at her so. Certainly, she wasn't that odd looking, right? Dropping her gaze to the ground, she flicked her ears in sheepish consternation.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 04/04/2014 12:34 AM

Stormypaw, however did not seem perturbed by their attention. In fact, he seemed to soak it up, like a sponge to water. He beamed proudly, puffing out his chest. "I'm so glad I can be a part of ThunderClan," he mewed, sounding impressive and haughty. Bearpaw just couldn't help herself; she poked him in the belly. With a great whoosh of air, he let out a sound that was a strange mixture of a snort and a laugh, and ended up looking quite silly as he nearly fell over into the dust.

He rounded on her, looking alarmed and embarrassed. "Oi!" he growled, but his eyes betrayed his amusement, and, playfully, he batted her across the ears.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

"All right, you two," Hollypaw purred, laughter in her voice and in her eyes. "No roughhousing in camp. Am I going to have to break you two up?" She flicked her ebony tail, blue eyes alight with mischief. Bearpaw could see that the two of them would get along swimmingly.

Lionpaw laughed deeply, his voice a rich, soothing baritone. He shook his head. "I don't know how you survived a whole night with my brother, and still kept your sense of humor in one piece. He's more prickly than a thorn bush."

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Bearpaw paused in mid-laugh, and looked at him oddly. "Prickly? Who is your brother? Jaypaw? You're related?" She looked perplexed. Jaypaw was nothing like his easy-going brother.

Hollypaw nodded. "Yes. Jaypaw, Lionpaw and I are littermates. But Lionpaw is right. I'm amazed you survived with your sense of humor intact." She chuckled, and Bearpaw followed suit, though not feeling at ease with laughing at Jaypaw's expense.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 04/04/2014 12:35 AM

A rustling sound near the camp entrance caught the apprentices' attention, and four sets of eyes swiveled around to watch as the dusk hunting patrol came padding through the tunnel. Lionpaw smiled widely, while Hollypaw just grinned. "Looks like they brought back tons of fresh-kill!" Hollypaw purred. She motioned for the other three to follow her.
"I'm starved!' Lionpaw growled, his pace quicker than the rest. Hollypaw giggled as he bounced past her.

"You’re always starved, you great fat lump!"

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 04/04/2014 12:35 AM

As Bearpaw padded after them, she glanced over her shoulder. Leafpool was exiting the den she shared with Jaypaw, padding over to pick out something for her to eat. Bearpaw wondered if Jaypaw had a chance to eat anything yet. Turning back around, she nearly collided with Stormypaw. "Augh!" she cried, his tail batting her in the face. He merely grinned devilishly over his shoulder at the she-cat, before hurrying to the fresh-kill pile, and picking out something for himself.

Hollypaw and Lionpaw did the same, and the three of them settled together beneath a large rocky overhang. Hollypaw blinked warmly, inviting Bearpaw to join them. She looked down at the fresh-kill pile, and sighed. Leafpool padded up beside her, the warm scent of herbs clinging to her pelt and surrounding the apprentice's senses. She surveyed Bearpaw carefully, before picking a vole for herself.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 04/04/2014 12:36 AM

"How are you doing, Bearpaw?" she purred, settling down in a comfortable spot. There was genuine concern in her voice, and something else that Bearpaw could not place. What was it? Sadness? What did Leafpool have to be sad about? Bearpaw still stood where she was, but smiled lightly at the Medicine Cat all the same.

"I'm just fine...Um...Is Jaypaw still in your den, by any chance?" She looked hopeful, but tried to hide it. Leafpool blinked her surprise, but a low purr rumbled in her throat. Bearpaw probably just wanted to thank him for taking care of her.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 04/04/2014 12:36 AM

"Of course, Bearpaw. You are welcome to go visit him. I don't think he's eaten yet, by the way," she mewed, sounding enigmatic. She winked, before hunkering down to enjoy her meal in peace. Nodding to no one in particular, since Leafpool had gone back to her food, Bearpaw picked out a small mouse and a vole for her, and for Jaypaw. Glancing quickly at the other apprentices, and noticing Stormypaw giving her a strange look, she quickly hurried off towards the Medicine Cat's den.

Bearpaw stopped outside of the entrance, hesitating for a brief moment. What did she even want to see him for? She didn't have much to say to him. Silently debating on whether or not to actually go in, a gruff voice caught her attention, making her fur stand on end. "Are you just going to stand out there all day, or are you going to come in?"

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 04/04/2014 12:37 AM

Startled, she hurried inside, ears flat in embarrassment, and dropped the vole at Jaypaw's feet. He sniffed the air, catching the vole's scent, and then let his sightless gaze rest on Bearpaw. "What?" he growled. "Figured I couldn't make it to the fresh-kill pile on my own? Had to bring me my lunch yourself? I'm not useless, you know. And I can get around a lot better than you think." He sounded angry and defensive, and Bearpaw's ears flattened; this time, in hurt.

"N-no..." she murmured, looking away. Jaypaw's eyes instantly softened; she sounded hurt. Like she didn't know she might have offended him. Instantly, he regretted his harsh words. "I just thought...We could eat together, is all. I..." she paused, seeming uncertain. "I never thanked you for looking after me. So..." Her voice sounded so genuine, it made his heart ache. "Thank you." He wished, dearly wished, that he could see the smile he knew adorned her pretty face.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 04/04/2014 12:38 AM

Grunting, he only nodded. "It was my job, no thanks necessary...But, you're welcome." He sighed heavily, and offered her one of his rare smiles. "I see you brought a mouse too," he commented lazily. "Would you...Like to stay and eat with me?" He knew he must've sounded childish, or stupid, but, to his surprise, she agreed, and he could feel the relief and happiness that flowed over her.

Picking up her mouse, she hesitated, before biting into it. Bearpaw hadn't known something so utterly disgusting looking, could taste so good. If she didn't think about what she was eating, it really didn't bother her. And she suddenly realized how hungry she was.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 04/04/2014 12:39 AM

After a few swift bites, she turned to look at Jaypaw, who was eating his vole with a quiet, thoughtful look on his face. He seemed to be lost in thought, and, though she did not want to disturb him, she did want to talk to him.

"Jaypaw?" she queried, her voice soft. The gray tom jerked his head to stare at her, though he saw nothing. He inclined his head for her to speak, and took another bite of his food. Bearpaw paused, before plunging on. "I...I was just wondering...What's it like to be a Medicine Cat? I mean, do you like it? Is this what you chose to do? Medicine Cats seem so different than the other warriors...Like Leafpool. She's so distant, even when she's right next to you..." She looked thoughtful, much like he had a moment before.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 04/04/2014 12:39 AM

Jaypaw listened to her question, the hopeless honesty in her voice stirring his heart, and pushing aside any thought of offense. She was truly and genuinely curious. He could not deny her the information, not when she needed to know it anyways. He shrugged, and proceeded to tell her what she wanted to know.

"A Medicine Cat is different than a regular warrior. As we are what we are, we have a close bond with StarClan, closer than any warriors could ever hope to have. We see visions and dreams, and StarClan sends us signs, so that we might interpret them, and aid our Clan in the best way possible. We heal our fellow warriors, using the herbs that the forest provides. We give advice to our Clan leader, and help him in times of need. But, even though we are gifted with so very much, we pay a price for being who and what we are. Medicine Cats are forbidden to have a family we can never have a mate, nor know the joy of kits. It is our burden, and our curse, but we do not mind. Healing is all that matters."

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 04/04/2014 12:40 AM

[I]Sheesh, where had that come from?[/] Since when had he started sounding like Leafpool? He grimaced, annoyed with himself for sounding so philosophical. To be honest, he didn't believe half of what he just said. His ears flicked towards Bearpaw, trying to catch any subtle change in her breathing to indicate anger, or acceptance. He listened for her words and found only quiet thoughtfulness when he probed into her emotions.

"Wow..." she murmured at last. "That's...So sad. I'm so sorry, Jaypaw..."

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

PreviousNext