A mysterious area, explorers tend to go missing and never return. A low fog constantly blankets the forest floor and strange sounds have been reported being heard during the day. Not much else is known about the forest. (+3 Speed, +2 Endurance)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Whisper Forest

Re: An Existential Crisis in C# [Mojave & I] [M]

Postby Mojave » 11/20/2016 9:53 PM

When the priest, Oliver, looked at him, Tarot caught the changing colors of his eyes and a subtle scent of sulfur emanating from the very animated and curious man. A cold chill almost froze his blood. Yes, Francis was definitely in danger; maybe they all were. He scooted back from Oliver uneasily, his lips pulling back in what he hoped could be taken as a canine smile, though he was pretty sure it looked more like half snarl half grimace. "Um.. what?" he asked, not sure what Oliver had meant by 'how do you do that', all the jibberish about a professor and a doctor, and if he had any other powers. He was instantly worried that Oliver somehow knew about Tarot, though that had to be completely irrational. He'd never met the man before and he certainly hadn't said anything to give away his secret.

He watched and listened to the banter that transpired between them all, but feigned ignorance. It was somehow comforting to know they weren't very good at lying. Perhaps they'd never needed to. Besides, whatever was actually going to happen that involved a cardinal and a church, he had an uneasy feeling that all the lies would shatter and a lot of truth would be brought to light. Despite his own survival instincts insisting that he get the hell out of there, one of the voices that he sought to help whispered louder in his ear. Stay with them. And he intended to listen to her this time.
Pen . Docs . Sales . Wishes . About . RP Records . Journal . DA . FR
Mojave
Well-Traveled Explorer
Well-Traveled Explorer
Pets | Items
Keystones: 584
Donate

Postby Night » 11/21/2016 12:51 AM

Lost in their casual bickering, the boys failed to notice Tarot's change of posture and clear discomfort. Oliver was insisting now, to Bob sprawled in the seat ahead of him, that Magneto was clearly better than Ant Man. It appeared to Lero as though the larger of the two was merely inciting the argument for the sheer pleasure of seeing Oliver start to get riled up about fictional comic book characters. He wasn't sure if Oliver was aware of the same. The priest had been a bit off, lately - more sociable, in an odd sort of way that made his hair stand on end. It was unlike Oliver to be quite so outspoken, and some of the things that he said were so out of character.

Not in this, though. A voice told him, and it was right - comic books were something that the priest had always had a passion for, if Jay were any sort of reliable. He would like to think the guy would know if something were off about his own brother. And the whole 'resurrection' bit, the part they didn't talk about... that had to have taken a toll on him. It wasn't as though you died and came back to life on an annual basis, just for kicks. It was a pretty big deal, even in their line of business that had a clear and define precedent for such matters.

He was probably just trying to make up for perceived lost time, Lero reasoned, and let the thought go. It didn't do to dwell on it. He apologized to Tarot yet again, this time more with the expression on his face than any real words. The group could be a bit much to take in at times.

Brian was the only one not taking part in the argument, his eyes straight forward on the road. It would be a few days yet before they made it all the way to the city, and he could see the shadows under his friend's eyes. Someone else would have to drive, or they would have to pull off soon and hope they had enough Keystones saved back for a hotel. He relayed this to their unexpected guest, his tone apologetic. For all that the others gave him shit about his fight me sort of attitude, he was clearly the most reasonable of the bunch. "We're probably still a day or two out from the city." He told Tarot. "We'll probably stop at a hotel in a few hours to crash out for the night. I hope you don't mind the delay."

Oliver gave in to the argument, throwing his hands up in the air. "Fine, I agree that Batman has his uses, but come on, against Magneto? Batman would be about as useless as you in that situation, Dupree, relying on things that pretty much anyone could do if they had the money or knew the right way to do it." The words caught between them, and everyone paused. That was... not very characteristic of Oliver to say.

"You don't mean that, Oli." Jay said slowly, staring his brother down. "Bob helps us out a lot. Without him, we wouldn't even know how to do those protective circles and such." Bob was silent. Oliver had a blank look for a moment, and then seemed to catch back up with himself. His cheeks colored.

"Of course not, no! That's not what I meant. Of course we need you, Bob. I was just saying, Magneto has super powers..." Jay caught Lero's eyes in the rear view mirror, and a cold feeling settled in his stomach.
Night
I have no life.
I have no life.
Pets | Items
Keystones: 511
Donate
Location: Come to Crystal Palace on Forbidden Mountain in next 25 mins if you want to fight

Postby Mojave » 11/21/2016 3:54 AM

Tarot had been about to try and find a way to the very back of the car behind the luggage when Brian spoke to him. He paused in his efforts to slide backward to a spot out of sight of the other passengers and looked back at Brian. "That's fine, I'd be sleeping out in the woods somewhere back there. I can pitch in for the hotel, I'll just need some help using a phone when we get there." He replied, dreading the conversation with Kyruit that would ensue. She still probably didn't know he'd left the merc band.

At the sudden silence, he looked around again, only registering that Oliver must have said something unnatural and hurtful. Not being familiar with comics and such, the only thing Tarot took from the comment was that he'd called Bob useless, that anyone could do his job. He watched as Jay  stared Bob down, Jay and Lero exchanging a glance in the rearview mirror, and decided he wasn't going to get involved in this conversation either. He slipped down behind the luggage against the back door and curled up in a ball. His tail rested over his nose as he tried to take a nap.
Mojave
Well-Traveled Explorer
Well-Traveled Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Night » 12/03/2016 2:34 AM

Brian nodded, though he wasn't sure if Tarot was even able to see him from his position in the back. They didn't particularly need help getting a hotel room - they would have stopped regardless, really - but it was always welcome. It seemed the one thing the Gods weren't willing to bestow directly was cold hard cash. Who knew?

Oliver, of course, got some sort of stipend from the church. He didn't ever seem to have to worry about money. That same gratuity was not extended in their direction. Likely because they weren't necessarily supposed to be butting in on the church's business, or even know about the fact that the church had a business. It was supposedly pretty hush hush.

The rest of the drive was awkwardly silent, with Oliver staring sorrowful holes in the back of Bob's head and the rest of the team unwilling to break the quiet the ensued from the priest's comments. They pulled into a small inn an hour later, the engine making a terrible noise when they stopped the engine. Brian was holding out hope that they would be able to make it all the way into the city, but he wasn't exactly holding out hope. Maybe they should start praying. It seemed to have worked for them so far. Though, he couldn't help but feel there was a marked difference in performing the last rites for an entrapped spirit and praying over the oil filter of a beat up van in a hotel parking lot.

He disappeared, leaving the others to trip their way out of the van and onto the pavement. Lero was uncharacteristically silent, his fingers shoved deeply into his pockets. He had almost forgotten about Tarot entirely, until he spotted the sahound's strange colored pelt in the wreckage of luggage. "You said you needed help using a phone?" He pulled his cell out of his pocket, flipping it open and holding his thumbs at the ready. "What's the number?"
Night
I have no life.
I have no life.
Pets | Items
Donate
Location: Come to Crystal Palace on Forbidden Mountain in next 25 mins if you want to fight

Postby Mojave » 12/03/2016 3:02 AM

The rest of the ride to the hotel was silent and Tarot had managed to snooze. The odd sounds of the engine had awoken him, coupled with the cessation of movement. He quickly leaped over the luggage after everyone else was out and was on the pavement in another bound. He was stretching when Francis approached him, and his ears swiveled to face away from the boy as he sighed. Right.

He gave the number and cleared his throat as the phone rang. It only rang once before a feminine voice answered. "Hello, this is Kyruit. How can I help you?" Her voice was professional, the tone one took when they were used to taking calls from unknown numbers.

"Kyruit." Tarot spoke, his actual voice raspy and emotionless.

He was answered by a cold silence followed by an exasperated sigh. "Hello, Tarot. I guess you're calling to tell me you quit the mercenary band? I already know. Your captain called asking why I'd pulled you when your contract wasn't up. You know how much money you lost just leaving like that?"

Tarot rolled his eyes and made an impatient sound. "I sent what I had, was it not sufficient?" He asked, though he knew it was enough to keep her housed and fed for another month.
"Yes, I got it and I'm good for the next few weeks. Have you found another job?"
"I picked up an old one. With rewards as yet to be determined." He said evasively, knowing she would know what he was talking about.

Another silence ensued. "Kyruit?" "Where are you?" "Whisper Forest." "I'm on my way." "WHAT?! No-" But she had already disconnected and Tarot wondered if she'd triangulated his position. She probably had traced the call at least. He sighed before he shook his head and turned his gaze up to Francis. "Well, knowing her, she'll be here in a few hours."
Mojave
Well-Traveled Explorer
Well-Traveled Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Night » 12/05/2016 10:05 PM

Lero did his best not to eavesdrop, but it wasn't as though there were a whole lot else to focus on. Jay dragging various luggage from the back of the van in a vain effort to not disturb the precariously stacked weapons was only interesting for so long. What he managed to garner from the conversation was minimal - he had a feeling that hearing both sides would have been markedly more enlightening. He pulled the phone away and flipped it closed, shoving it into his jacket pocket.

"Your friend is coming to see you?" He asked, voice casual. He stooped to pick up his backpack, which Jay had thrown graciously at his feet. "You don't sound very happy to see her."

Brian returned, waving three room cards over his head like they were an offering from the Gods themselves. "Real beds!" He called.

"Shower!" Lero cheered, his enthusiasm clear. He grabbed whatever else was left on the floor, and between the five of them they managed to haul the vast majority of the van's contents. It was a pain, unpacking everything every time they stopped for any significant amount of time, but it was better than getting the cops called on them for "unlawful possession of a deadly object." They only needed to go through that once to get the message. Lero still wasn't entirely sure how they had gotten out of it without spending the night in a cell, or at least getting the offending objects confiscated.

"You can bunk with me, if you want." Lero plucked one of the keys from Brian's outstretched hand, peering down at the number and then waltzing off in the vague direction he was pointed. "You better make sure Oli takes a shower!" He called over his shoulder at Bob.

"The Father is afraid of bathrooms! I thought you knew, Frankie." Bob shouted at Lero's retreating form, earning a hard elbow to the ribs from Oliver in return.

He unlocked the room and dropped the bags at the foot of one of the two beds, taking in their surroundings. "It's not much. I don't know if you're used to staying somewhere nicer, or anything." He gave a crooked smile in Tarot's direction. "But it's cheap, and it's a hell of a lot better than having Brian drool on you all night."
Night
I have no life.
I have no life.
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Mojave » 12/05/2016 10:56 PM

Tarot would have laughed at the understatement, but was interrupted by Brian returning with room keys. "Kyruit is coming here, so she'll be able to reimburse you. Though, I should warn all of you. She's... uh. Well I don't really know how to describe her, but please don't be offended by anything she says?"

He followed Francis to their room, ignoring the playful banter between everyone. Besides, not being familiar with them and their history, all inside jokes were lost on him.

At Francis's apparent concern of disapproval, Tarot quickly reassured him. "No complaints from me, trust me. I've grown used to sleeping on rocky terrain, mud, itchy grass. All with over fifty unwashed human men piled around me and just a hole in the ground for them to relieve themselves in. THIS is luxury compared to that."

He went to the window and shoved the curtains aside with his nose. "I'm going to wait for Kyruit. Go ahead and shower if you want." He kept his back turned in case Francis was self conscious or anything. He was glad his fur repelled most dirt and filth and that he wasn't filthy. Nobody liked washing the dog, and he didn't particularly enjoy being manhandled either.
Mojave
Well-Traveled Explorer
Well-Traveled Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Night » 12/06/2016 12:47 AM

Lero frowned, arching one eyebrow in a manor which threatened disappearance into his hairline. "She sounds like a real charmer. Don't worry, I'll ignore anything she says." He was curious what Tarot's business was with this woman, if she was so unpleasant that he dreaded seeing her. He cast a curious eye over the sahound before he began digging in his backpack for his last set of clean clothes. He could bide his time, figure Tarot out - they had a few days yet to the city, and he couldn't help but feel as though the dude was more than a little involved in whatever course they were currently on. Jay wouldn't bend so readily to his demands otherwise.

Lero wondered, vaguely, if this shitty motel had a laundry room anywhere.

"Well... alright then." He wouldn't turn down first dibs on hot water. "I'll be out pretty quick, and then we'll go to meet this Kyruit person." Lero shuffled into the small bathroom, maneuvering around until he was able to close the door behind him (with one foot in the bath tub to accomplish it.) The water took approximately a million years to warm up. He stripped down while he waited, observing his tattoos in the mirror and taking some time to fantasize about being clean. Living in a van was seriously the worst thing that could happen to someone with an almost obsessive hygiene regime.

He still managed to shower in almost record time, stepping out and dressing in his (almost) clean outfit. He was still toweling his too-long hair dry when he stepped out of the bathroom. "Any sign of your friend?"
Night
I have no life.
I have no life.
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Mojave » 12/06/2016 2:14 AM

Tarot wished he could explain Kyruit, since his warnings always made people think the worst of her. It wasn't that he couldn't stand her, but that they were both prickly characters in different ways. He was (more) patient (than her) and was fine with the less glamorous things in life. She was impatient and always wanted the best. He knew she'd had feelings for him at some early point in their acquaintanceship but he'd never returned the feelings. Things had turned a little cold between them around the time he failed his quest, but she had agreed to continue working with him and had taken up the role as his manager. She helped him find work and he went and made the money to keep her happy. It was the least he could do since this wasn't her home world and she was bound to him by her own ancient customs.

While Francis showered, Tarot watched the road leading to the hotel. When Francis emerged from his lightning fast shower, the Sahound shook his head. "Not yet. She's coming from Jawan, I think. She'll be another hour at least, if you want to rest."
Mojave
Well-Traveled Explorer
Well-Traveled Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Night » 12/06/2016 2:45 AM

Well that had been a pointless endeavor. Lero glanced wistfully back at the bathroom, half tempted to test just how much he could run up the motel's water bill. He wasn't sure if he would ever be able to wash off the grunge of living in a van with four other dudes. It would be a bit superfluous to take a second shower immediately after the first, he decided. He flopped down on the bed, stretching out and taking in the freedom that was scratchy linen sheets. From this vantage point, he could more easily take in the sahound's curious visage.

Outside of the scarring and sky-colored pelt, Tarot didn't seem to be particularly remarkable. There was nothing that made him appear markedly useful to their current situation - not so far as he had been privy to the information regarding it, anyway. The church was uptight in what they would share, only demanding that Oliver be returned to their care as quickly as possible. They wouldn't even tell the priest their reasoning, which gave him a cold sense of foreboding to think about. He knew it was at least in part because of what Jay had taken to casually referring to as "The Resurrection." Oliver wasn't so sure.

'Resurrection is actually more common in the church that what you may think,' he had told them. 'There are a couple hundred well documented cases of it. It's just not really advertised, because it takes away from the miracle of THE resurrection, you know? Besides, we don't even know that I died. I may have... I don't know, passed out or something. That happens all the time, people thinking someone is dead and burying them only to find out that they weren't really a few days later.'

'Like on the history channel!' Bob had noted excitedly, a point that he had been making since the day that they had found Oliver alive and well. Jay wasn't convinced.

'I was there, Oli. You weren't breathing. You had no pulse. You were dead.'

Lero remembered it all too well; how Jay had been a zombie for the three days that Oliver was gone, a ghost mourning his brother. There had been no doubt, then. The suits from the church had shown up and hauled Oliver's body away. They had watched them zip the bag up over his face with a horrible sense of finality. They had taken him and left them to wander around with no purpose, all sense of cause abandoned in the face of overwhelming grief.

And then, he'd come back to them. Somehow, Lero felt like they were still wandering, still lost. Everything just seemed so... wrong. Like they were still stuck in the cycle of those three days, reliving them infinitely in some kind of parody of an old Bill Murray movie.

He still couldn't shake the feeling that meeting Tarot wasn't a coincidence.

"She's not going to be mad that you're traveling with us, is she? We're not exactly the epitome of good company, I'm sure." Lero said, instead of expressing any of his thoughts. They were probably secret, he thought bitterly. If he told anyone, the church would probably come and wave those stupid memory wipe things in front of his eyes and regress him back to a child or some shit. Make him a raving lunatic so no one would ever listen to anything he said.

What a way to establish belief.
Night
I have no life.
I have no life.
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Mojave » 12/06/2016 4:39 AM

Tarot had gone back to watching out the window for Kyruit as Francis had settled on the other bed. He pretended not to notice the boy's scrutiny, assuming it was just because of his scars and his pelt. At least the kid (or any of his companions) weren't abusing him about it.

While Francis was wrapped in his own thoughts, Tarot tried to think ahead of what he would say to Kyruit. The necklace around his neck was reflecting light into the window before him, and he too slipped down memory lane as he stared at it.

He had died and met the spirits of a dead family. A Florana and Wispwing and their unborn offspring, unable to continue into the afterlife because of their unfinished business. He had tried to put them to rest, but he hadn't even gotten far in his quest before he'd hit a dead end. Years later, he'd found the necklace and heard it's story. When he touched it he saw their deaths. And now here he was, trying to figure out how to put them to rest again and more determined to succeed than before.

His reverie was interrupted by the approach of a helicopter. He looked out of the window and groaned. "Kyruit is here." He said, jumping down from the window.

He made his way outside to an empty field across from the motel, watching the metal bird descend. Once it was safely on the ground, the doors slid open and a tall, curvy woman descended. She was dressed in elaborate finery, silk and satin clothes and enough jewelry that she'd drown if she was dumped into a lake. She bent to pet Tarot, though they didn't try to speak since the helicopter was lifting away.

Once they were back at the hotel, Tarot looked around for the group he was traveling with.
Mojave
Well-Traveled Explorer
Well-Traveled Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Night » 12/06/2016 4:55 AM

Lero reluctantly pulled himself from amongst the pillows to follow Tarot outside, whistling softly at the sight of the helicopter. Well she certainly can make an entrance, he thought to himself. His hands found their way into his pockets as he hung back, allowing the two their private reunion. As curious as he was about the sahound, he wasn't going to intrude.

A shout nearby drew his attention temporarily towards their van, where Brian was shouting at Oliver. Jay and Bob appeared from their room to investigate the commotion, the small group gathering around their muddy vehicle.

"What's going on?" Jay elbowed Bob out of the way, taking up residence at Oliver's shoulder in a show of familial solidarity. "Why are you yelling at Oliver?"

"I came out to see what all the noise was, and he was tinkering around under the hood of the van!" Brian pointed at Oliver, his eyes narrowed in suspicion. "Why are you poking around the engine?"

Oliver looked contrite. "It was making that awful noise whenever we pulled up, I was just trying to see if I could fix it before we went back on the road." He held up his hands in a placating gesture. "I figured someone should, it's not as though there's likely to be a mechanic in the middle of nowhere."

"Funny, I never would have taken you for an auto engineer." Bob eyed him over. "No offense, Father, but you certainly don't look the type." Oliver shot Jay a pleading look, as though asking him to help. Lero noted the dazed look that fell over Jay's face for a fraction of a moment before it was gone, replaced instead with understanding.

"Oh yeah, Oliver used to work on our parents car all the time." He sounded strangely distant. Brian frowned, but let the subject drop. The entire exchange was over before their guests returned from their meeting, the helicopter lifting off and disappearing as quickly as it had arrived. Lero shoved away any questions he may have had, turning instead to meet this enigmatic character that he had heard so much about. She certainly didn't look how he had imagined; somehow he had painted a mental image of a twisted, nasty woman with horns or something. She looked rather normal in comparison.

"You must be Kyruit." Lero waved by way of greeting. "I'm Francis. So nice to meet you." He shot Jay a sideways glare when the other man stifled a giggle, mouthing Francis? behind Bob's back. He could be formal and polite, regardless of Jay's idea of his character.
Night
I have no life.
I have no life.
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Mojave » 12/06/2016 5:13 AM

"Be nice." Tarot warned Kyruit as they approached the group. "Aren't I always?" She asked rather too sweetly. Tarot harumphed and sat down next to her, looking at the ground.

"Hello!" Kyruit took a moment to look over the group that had picked Tarot up. She didn't extend a hand, too busy taking in the small, nondescript, and in her opinion, run down motel they were staying at. "Tarot, please tell me you do not expect me to stay in such a... place." She said, nearly calling it a dump.

"Kyruit..." He said in warning.

She huffed and turned back to the others. "Who's the leader here? I am more than willing to repay you for helping Tarot, but now I'm glad I came here. This is not acceptable. Pack your bags, boys, we're leaving to a place where the roof isn't going to fall on our heads." She walked out of the hotel clearly looking for the car. "Tarot, where is the car?"

Tarot groaned and looked up at everyone, an apology on his face. "I'm really sorry. If you want to take her up on the offer of a nicer hotel, feel free. Otherwise, I'll talk to her."
Mojave
Well-Traveled Explorer
Well-Traveled Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Night » 12/06/2016 5:28 AM

The group shared a look amongst themselves, conversing in a quick relay of expression before Brian stepped forward. "Brian Voles, I guess I'm in charge here." As much as anyone was in charge anyway. He did well to keep the sour tint out of his voice, sounding bright and chipper. Ever a business man, Lero noted dully. "I apologize for the somewhat... unsatisfactory arrangements. We were unaware that such a fine woman as yourself would be joining us."

Lero wondered absently whether Brian had wet dreams about formal meetings and business cards. Sometimes he was fairly convinced. He sounded cool and proper, his tone entirely business. It did well to counteract any thoughts that would normally suggest he was flirting. Lero was grudgingly impressed.

"This is our car right here." He patted the side of the van, his hand leaving a smeared handprint in the dust on the side of it. The vehicle had once been a pristine white, in a past life. Now it was run down and well past its prime, covered in mud from the bottoms of the doors down. The tint was peeling on the windows, cracked in some places, and there were small bits of rust showing through the dull off-white paint. It was probably unimpressive even when it was brand new. Now it looked downright horror movie worthy.

"We've been on the road a lot." Brain was explaining now. "It's a bit difficult to find comfortable transportation on a photographer's budget, is all." It was a wonder that they'd found any transportation. Brian had sold the studio, which itself had turned a pretty penny, but they had scrimped where they could and that was particularly true when it came to the vehicle itself. Jay said that it had its own unique charm. Lero thought, privately, that it looked like the sort of van that parents warned their children not to accept candy out of.

"If this hotel doesn't suit you, then we'd be happy to see if we could get a refund and try and find something more amicable to your tastes." Brian was smiling, and only years worth of friendship told Lero where to look for the tightness at the corners of his eyes. This was the best that they could afford. Fighting the forces of evil was hardly a nine to five job with an insurance plan and a severance check.
Night
I have no life.
I have no life.
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Mojave » 12/06/2016 7:21 AM

She of course noticed the silent conference between them, so she simply nodded at Brian when he stepped forward. "Nice to meet you. And please, nobody ever expects me to show up. It's how I find out how well Tarot is being taken care of." She said simply.

When Brian pointed out the car, she gazed in horror at the vehicle, her hand involuntarily coming to rest over her mouth as she tried not laugh or cry. "Photography?" She turned to look down at Tarot who shrugged in response. "Doesn't bother me, so stop being rude." His tone was firm, but she tossed her hair as she turned her gaze back at Brian.

"Refund?" She laughed, "A place like this won't offer refunds. I'll refund you and pay for better accommodations for as long as Tarot is traveling with you. As for the car..." She gazed at it, running figures in her head. She of course had more money hoarded away than Tarot knew, but she wasn't about to just hand it over to a group of strangers that so far hadn't been able to do more for Tarot than give him a ride to a dilapidated shack.  

"Leave it." She said finally. For one, she wasn't going to ride in it, and secondly, she wasn't going to leave Tarot to be transported in a filthy rust bucket. "I'll have a new car for you in the morning." She pulled out a phone and dialed a number. She was quickly speaking to someone in a foreign language. The conversation was short and she soon hung up. "The luggage is almost here. I'll have the drivers take us to the Hilton up the road."

True to her word, a caravan of vehicles were pulling into the driveway of the motel within minutes. "Change of plans, boys." She said to the men who exited the cars to take the luggage. "We're going to the Hilton." She turned back to Brian and his group. "Well? Go pack." She said brightly, her mood instantly improved by the promise of comfort ahead.

Tarot shook his head and rolled his eyes. Dames, he thought to himself.
Mojave
Well-Traveled Explorer
Well-Traveled Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

PreviousNext