A mysterious area, explorers tend to go missing and never return. A low fog constantly blankets the forest floor and strange sounds have been reported being heard during the day. Not much else is known about the forest. (+3 Speed, +2 Endurance)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Whisper Forest

Failure by Design [Self] [Quest]

Postby Night » 12/23/2016 4:12 AM

He had visions of an endless winter. It wasn't so hard to imagine here, in the silent grove that lay just out of view of the highway. There was a sick-bed white dust resting over the last dregs of fall, untouched in every direction save for where his own feet had traced a thin path through the trees. It was all so clinical, Isaac thought - white, a never ending and stagnant pale that reminded him of hospital walls and the sheets on the bed he never quite managed to fall asleep in. Even the trees were grey and cold; the aspen woods, his mother had called them. The Trembling Forest, where even the lightest breeze made the tree tops shiver and brush against one another like each leaf breathed a secret to its neighbor. The Whisper Woods.

Isaac shoved his hands deeper into the pockets of his worn jacket, tilting his head until he could see the still tops of the highest trees, and he listened. Nothing. An unsettling quiet had overtaken the forest, dense and impenetrable.

The restlessness that had pulled him from his bed prickled at his fingertips, tugging him forward and away from his own errant thoughts. The path he cut was purposeless, straying through the trees and underbrush with no destination in mind. Something touched his mind, telling him he should be cold. He should be freezing, it was well past midnight on the coldest night of the year to date.

Isaac didn't feel cold. He hadn't felt much of anything for a while now.
Night
I have no life.
I have no life.
Pets | Items
Keystones: 511
Donate
Location: Come to Crystal Palace on Forbidden Mountain in next 25 mins if you want to fight

Re: Failure by Design [Self] [Quest]

Postby Night » 12/23/2016 4:39 AM

He allowed himself to drift amongst the quiet as he walked, soaking in the clear night air without paying much mind to where he went. It was comfortable, a poetic counterpoint to the ever present buzz of machines and people as they moved through the halls of the hospital. He entertained thoughts of wandering until he met an end here; until he fell off the face of the earth, met the edge of the universe high atop the ridge that hid the valley and drifted away into the void. It sounded like a peaceful way to go. When Isaac finally came to a standstill, he stood before a door.

It was fairly ordinary looking; solid with no window, painted a deep blue interrupted only by a symbol that stood out in brass over the doorknob. A lopsided A figure, longer on one side than the other, with a straight line drawn over the top of it and a thin slash above that. Unremarkable in its entirety, really, save for the fact it stood slightly ajar in its frame at the center of a thicket.

Isaac pondered the entryway for a moment, taking it in, and was surprised to find that he was remarkably unsurprised by its appearance before him. He wrapped his fingers over the handle even as he tried to lean in just such a way to see through to the other side.

He was reminded of a riddle his mother had told him, long enough ago now that he wasn't sure he remembered the answer. "When is a door not a door?" He asked the silence. Realistically, had he been in his right mind, he would have realized one of several things. The first was that it was rather odd for there to be any sort of structure erected in the middle of the woods, let alone one so well maintained. The second was that the only thing that could be on the other side of the door was the other side of the clearing, which was clearly visible from  his previous position slightly to the right of the entryway.

He pushed it further open. "When it's ajar." The answer came unbidden to his mind, almost foreign in its appearance. He stepped through.
Night
I have no life.
I have no life.
Pets | Items
Donate
Location: Come to Crystal Palace on Forbidden Mountain in next 25 mins if you want to fight

Re: Failure by Design [Self] [Quest]

Postby Night » 12/31/2016 2:05 AM

The room was expansive, yawning outwards as far as he was able to see and entirely white. Tall pale columns rose up in neat rows to grasp at the ceiling. Several yards before him there was a man, or what he could only assume was a man given its general posture.

A spark of unease spread through him, setting him on edge. He glanced around for the door behind him and was surprised to find that it was no longer there. Isaac approached the figure cautiously, figuring that he had nothing better to do and honestly not much to live for in the event that the guy was some kind of murderer. "Hello?"

His voice echoed and bounced, and he flinched. He hadn't expected it to sound quite so loud in such a cavernous space. Like he had yelled at the top of his lungs. The man didn't even flinch, keeping his back turned firmly in Isaac's direction. When he spoke again, he tried to keep it softer. Almost a whisper.

"Can you tell me where I am?" His approach didn't seem to be garnering him much headway. Every time he looked up from his feet he hadn't moved any closer. He knew that wasn't possible - even in an infinite room. Perhaps the man was moving further away?

"Sir?"
Night
I have no life.
I have no life.
Pets | Items
Donate