A mysterious area, explorers tend to go missing and never return. A low fog constantly blankets the forest floor and strange sounds have been reported being heard during the day. Not much else is known about the forest. (+3 Speed, +2 Endurance)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Whisper Forest

Heirlooms

Postby Skeetzybug » 04/30/2017 11:37 PM

ImageImage

“Now, see there?” The woods were quiet, sound of bird and deer muffled by the step of man. Still, the chatter from between root and tree echoed.

“Yeah, yeah, I see ‘em! I see ‘em!” Bright eyes and bright fur, paws digging eagerly in the dirt as they watched hunters pass by, unnoticed. Two foxes, red and black and marked of gold, watching them, as if they were the prey instead. The larger chuckled as the smaller bounced, eager to proceed.

“Hush, little one! You don’t want to be figured out before the fun even begins,” he chided, flicking his tail lazily as the other ducked their head.

He sleeps alone,
He needs no army where he's headed cause he knows
That they're just ghosts
And they can't hurt him if he can't see them
And I don't know
If in the morning I will be here and if so,
Let it be known
That I was worthy,
I was worthy,
I was worthy,
I was..
Imp Docs ☽☾ Zoo ☽☾ Wishlist
Skeetzybug
Master Veteran
Master Veteran
Pets | Items
Keystones: 90
Donate

Re: Heirlooms

Postby Skeetzybug » 04/30/2017 11:37 PM

“Oh, yeah, hehe. Sorry, Dad.” They were small yet fierce, eyes already on the road to havoc. Keiro could not have been more proud of his little kit. It was no easy task to be such a trickster.

“No harm done, Ro,” he hummed, digging his own claws into the dirt as he stood. “Now, do you remember what I’ve taught you?” The little fox nodded, eyes shining almost as brightly as their markings.

“Yeah, everything!” Roland chirped, following him as he turned to pad up a bush-covered incline. “Like you say, always charm, but do no harm.”

He sleeps alone,
That they're just ghosts
And I don't know
Let it be known
That I was worthy,
I was worthy,
I was worthy,
I was..
Skeetzybug
Master Veteran
Master Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Skeetzybug » 04/30/2017 11:38 PM

“That’s a good kit!” the larger fox responded, picking his way between ivy and bramble as they climbed after the small hunting group.

“Though personally, I prefer, play a trick, but don’t be a dick.” Keiro stumbled, nearly hitting his snout on a large rock in the process. Of all the things out of his kit’s mouth, that was definitely not something he had expected to hear.

“Roland!”

“What? It rhymes better.” He couldn’t help a laugh at that, despite his urges to be quiet. What a scamp, already!

He sleeps alone,
That they're just ghosts
And I don't know
Let it be known
That I was worthy,
I was worthy,
I was worthy,
I was..
Skeetzybug
Master Veteran
Master Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Skeetzybug » 04/30/2017 11:39 PM

“Alright, little rascal. Let’s get moving before your mother catches on.” He kept picking his way forward for a moment, before his ears registered that Roland had frozen in their tracks. He turned back, ears perked as he looked at the little kit.

“Wait, she didn’t okay this?” they asked, suddenly appearing nervous. They shifted their paws where they stood, tail flicking. Oh boy. Keiro rolled his eyes. This, they needed work on, clearly.

He sleeps alone,
That they're just ghosts
And I don't know
Let it be known
That I was worthy,
I was worthy,
I was worthy,
I was..
Skeetzybug
Master Veteran
Master Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Skeetzybug » 04/30/2017 11:40 PM

“No no, Roro,” he said, moving back over to stand beside him. “This is our little secret, okay?” He threw a paw around their shoulder, nearly knocking them over in the process. “Like a sort of father-kit bonding.. thing.” He made a vague gesture with the paw, but Roland didn’t look convinced. Their ears dropped back, head lowering.

“Aw man. We’re gonna be in trouble.” Keiro snorted, pulling Roland close to him and whispering conspiratorially.

He sleeps alone,
That they're just ghosts
And I don't know
Let it be known
That I was worthy,
I was worthy,
I was worthy,
I was..
Skeetzybug
Master Veteran
Master Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Skeetzybug » 04/30/2017 11:40 PM

“Only if we get caught, my dear,” he said, a bit of a hum to his voice. Roland giggled at that, and he counted it a success. He removed his paw, shaking his head and moving forward again. “Come on, then.” He hopped to the top of a large rock, pausing to look back with a wide grin. “Plenty of tricks to be had yet, my little one!”

“Coming!” Roland chirped, padding happily after now. Alright, then - let the games begin!

He sleeps alone,
That they're just ghosts
And I don't know
Let it be known
That I was worthy,
I was worthy,
I was worthy,
I was..
Skeetzybug
Master Veteran
Master Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Skeetzybug » 04/30/2017 11:41 PM

All in all, for a first run of trick playing, it had gone well. Better than well, actually - Keiro had started out small. After all, Roland had never actually gone trick-playing with mortals outside of the court before! It was a special occasion, and he had wanted it all to go well.

Color him surprised when for each trick he played, little Roland had a better one right up their sleeve! He couldn’t be more proud, and at the end of the hunt, they headed home chortling to each other about the things they’d done.

He sleeps alone,
That they're just ghosts
And I don't know
Let it be known
That I was worthy,
I was worthy,
I was worthy,
I was..
Skeetzybug
Master Veteran
Master Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Skeetzybug » 04/30/2017 11:41 PM

“Dad?” They were stepping over the entryway to the Court of Zyrain when they finally asked. “Why did you help them catch that big stag at the end? I thought we wanted them to fail their hunt.” He’d been wondering how long it would take, really. It was a lesson he knew the little kit hadn’t learned yet.

“It wasn’t about them failing, Roland. It was about adversity. The stag at the end was their fair reward,” Keiro explained, leaping from stone to stone as he crossed a wide creek. “It’s fun to play tricks, yes - but they teach mortals things.”

He sleeps alone,
That they're just ghosts
And I don't know
Let it be known
That I was worthy,
I was worthy,
I was worthy,
I was..
Skeetzybug
Master Veteran
Master Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Skeetzybug » 04/30/2017 11:42 PM

“Like what?” they asked, hopping over a stepping stone as they followed.

“Like how to be patient, and how to keep moving forward despite difficulty,” he said, smile gentle on his face. Even as they crossed the water, he could tell that Roland was listening carefully. “Those humans showed great worth, in the end.”

“But they were AWFUL, dad!” they exclaimed, looking positively baffled by the notion. “I think they’d have gone home empty-handed even without our tricks!” Keiro laughed, a softer sound than his normal guffaw. Yes, it had taken him some time to learn this lesson, too.

He sleeps alone,
That they're just ghosts
And I don't know
Let it be known
That I was worthy,
I was worthy,
I was worthy,
I was..
Skeetzybug
Master Veteran
Master Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Skeetzybug » 04/30/2017 11:43 PM

“Exactly. That didn’t stop them from trying, though, did it?” he asked. He paused on the river bank, Roland catching up behind him. They shook their head in answer to his question. “So they deserved something in reward, for entertaining us. That stag will bring them good money and food. They’ve earned it, now.”

“Luck is a balance, Roland,” he said, walking beside his child as their forest spread out around the two. “When you spread poor luck, you must return it with good luck. You must remember, it goes both ways.” He looked down, catching Roland’s gaze as he spoke. “That is why you must always take your actions seriously - even if others do not.”

“You’re so smart, Dad,” they said, staring at him with mystified eyes. He smiled back at them.

“So are you, Ro. So are you.”

He sleeps alone,
That they're just ghosts
And I don't know
Let it be known
That I was worthy,
I was worthy,
I was worthy,
I was..