A mysterious area, explorers tend to go missing and never return. A low fog constantly blankets the forest floor and strange sounds have been reported being heard during the day. Not much else is known about the forest. (+3 Speed, +2 Endurance)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Whisper Forest

Re: You Can Run, But... {Self, M:L,V,G}

Postby Saahs » 05/03/2017 2:02 AM

Griffin shifted where he lay, eyes open and brows twitching. He mumbled under his breath in response to Eli, turning onto his other side. But he was more than already awake. With a low grunt, he scooted out from under the log, dragging his rifle and bag with him. "Didn't want to wake you." With a low huff, he draped the gun and bag over his shoulder. Once up on his feet, Griff stretched his arms high up over his head with a keen groan.

"It's too damn chilly out, and everything's wet and gross." With the first complaints of the day, he waited for Eli to gather his things. And while he waited, he also took the opportunity to wipe as much grass, mud, and other such unwelcome things off his person. "Gross, nasty, disgusting... I don't know how people tolerate this stuff, let alone enjoy it." His face pulled into a mighty and childish grimace. "It's all just so gross."
when that light goes out this eve,
some will run, and some will grieve.

if you have a reason, or if you believe,
in darkness we trust.

the whores and gentlemen, they lead,
trails of insecurities.

i am not a watchman, i do as i please.

in darkness i trust.

About/Journal | Zoo Pen | Documents | Wishlist
Saahs
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer
Pets | Items
Keystones: 1122
Donate

Postby Saahs » 05/03/2017 2:14 AM

Pulling his satchel and rifle over his shoulder, Eli pushed himself up. Once Griffin started complaining, he gave a snort. "Some people don't mind wet things, Griff. An' a lot also dun' mind th' cold. You just ain't used ta it." He shot the other a grin. "An' I dun' fink ya generate any body heat of yer own. Yer like a lizard, mate. Gotta leach warmth offa others."

With a small jerk of his head, Eli looked up to the sky briefly, then started his way to the northwest. He could hear Griffin shuffling after him. Wary as ever, he was. Eli could just about hear each and every flinch from the other behind him any time a bird or squirrel so much as farted. It was both funny, as well as... sad. The poor thing couldn't go anywhere without worrying something was going to jump out and pin him down. His grip on the rifle strap tightened as the cause of Griffin's antics bubbled its way to the top of his thoughts.

in darkness we trust.

trails of insecurities.

in darkness i trust.

Saahs
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Saahs » 05/03/2017 2:51 AM

Griffin's nose crinkled at Eli's remarks. "How am I a lizard? My skin isn't that dry." Woosh, right over his head. He didn't even try to look up as it went by, either. With a shake of his head, Griffin tailed behind Eli, both hands gripping the shoulder strap latched to his rifle tightly. It wasn't long before he was wringing it to ease his nerves.

It didn't successfully ease his nerves one bit. But at the very least, it gave his hands something to do that wouldn't leave him with scabs and sores.

As the pair trekked onwards through the woods, Griffin's mind did as it was wont to do, and wandered about. What awaited them in this city of "Aldrect"? How would they fend for themselves there? The same way they did in their village, or would they find another way to survive? Gods, he could barely remember even a moment being out of his home before escaping the fires. Whole days went forgotten, leaving but a fog in his head that gave the fog surrounding them now a hefty run for its money.

It wasn't until his feet tangled themselves in some underbrush that his attention returned to the journey at hand. The journey which, now, was toppling face-first into the dew kissed grass and moss. "EGKH--" Whump.

"... I would very much like it, if things stopped happening to my face."

in darkness we trust.

trails of insecurities.

in darkness i trust.

Saahs
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Saahs » 05/03/2017 2:59 AM

Eli's own unpleasant thoughts were interrupted as Griffin made friendship with the dirt. He couldn't help but jump a little at the commotion, but was quick to hop to Griff's side and offered a hand up. "No promises, mate. We've still got a ways before we're outta the woods. There's plenny a' loose roots t' trip over." He gave his friend a pat on the shoulder once he was back up on his feet.

A distant rustling snagged his attention. "... W' should be more careful to no' trip on any more, though." His voice was lowered to barely above a breath. His eyes darted to the noise's direction. "Keep yer gun at th' ready, jus' in case." He took his own advice, pulling on the strap so his rifle hung just under his arm and easy to grab at a moment's notice.

in darkness we trust.

trails of insecurities.

in darkness i trust.

Saahs
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Saahs » 05/03/2017 3:16 AM

"From the way you said it, I'm assuming that's some sort of quote." With a grunt, Griffin was hoisted to his feet and he brushed himself off. "You get this kind of serious voice when you're quoting something." He raised his eyebrows in Eli's direction, before walking behind him. "Maybe you should give tripping over them a shot, so far all the bad stuff's only happened to me." A small huff was given while he straightened out his coat. And yet he paid little mind to his once-white shirt that was neither fully tucked in or even properly buttoned up. The coat was, clearly, more important.

But he fell silent, head snapping towards the far-off rustle. To Eli's suggestion he merely nodded slowly, drawing his rifle down under an arm. And once more his footfalls fell quieter, slower. But as the two moved forward for a long, silent hour or so, the rustling never left. "'Li..." he dared whisper, "I think it's following us."

in darkness we trust.

trails of insecurities.

in darkness i trust.

Saahs
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Saahs » 05/03/2017 4:17 PM

Eli's footsteps trickled to a stop. Turning his head towards the sound. Still behind them... no. To their left, now. No? The right... In front of them, no. Behind them again. It seemed the forest's sadistic taste for winding people further into its clutches had woken up. Because Eli now found himself turning in every direction in an attempt to follow the distant rustles and snapping twig.

It wasn't getting closer, though. Not yet. They were being circled, observed from afar. Eli's stomach twisted up faster than he was turning, and he came to a stop. He looked up at Griffin, heartbeat threatening to drown out all other sound. It wasn't said aloud, he dared not even breathe out the word but rather mouthed to Griffin:

"Run."

He grabbed for Griffin's hand and pulled him behind him as he broke into a sprint. Even over the sound of his rapid foot steps, Eli could hear their pursuer give chase. To their left--no! The right! No?! Behind them again! NO! In front of them--turn, turn turn turn turn around! His heart was racing, he was breathing too fast--and it was running too fast. Any moment--any second--closer--CLOSER--

in darkness we trust.

trails of insecurities.

in darkness i trust.

Saahs
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Saahs » 05/03/2017 4:48 PM

"Get back!" Griffin cried out. His hand shot out for Eli's again and he tugged him back. The two toppled over each other, their rifles clashing against the other. But where they had just been standing crashed a hulking monstrosity, all claws, teeth, and terrible snarls. It reared itself back up and faced the pair. The smell of dead flesh and rank drool invaded Griffin's nostrils with every breath the beast huffed out.

His eyes widened and he scrambled to pull Eli and himself back away from the creature. It pulled itself up onto its two hind legs; the way it almost looked human left something akin to... disgust, in Griffin's very being. And it almost felt as if the beast knew that. The way its snarls almost sounded like laughter, how it crept forward two inches for every one inch Eli and Griffin scuttled backwards. This is a game to you, isn't it? His upper lip curled up to show his teeth.

A glower twisted itself over Griffin's features as he drew his rifle. Aiming merely at the sky, his eyes bore searing holes into the beast's own as he fired a single shot into the air above. The sudden blast made him flinch, but more to his satisfaction did it spook the creature.

It recoiled several feet from the two, yapping and growling up a storm. But the shot did its job, and the monster dropped to all fours and loped away into the mist.

in darkness we trust.

trails of insecurities.

in darkness i trust.

Saahs
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Saahs » 05/03/2017 7:51 PM

Eli pulled himself to his feet, teeth bared in an alarmed snarl. His voice was little more than an exaggerated hiss, matching his heavy breaths. "Son 'f a bitch, what was tha'?!" He didn't get an answer. Not only had the beast fled, but whatever else had been circling around them, if there were others, had also left. There wasn't a sound to be caught, other than the two's breathing and his heart still threatening to pound itself straight out of his chest and up his throat.

But he didn't want to wait for an answer to leap upon them. Batting the back of his hand on Griffin's shoulder, he glanced up to the sky before turning to the northwest and making a break for it. "C'mon, they migh' come back."

Only sooner than he thought. Much sooner, so much sooner...

in darkness we trust.

trails of insecurities.

in darkness i trust.

Saahs
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

THE BLOOD AND GUTS BEGIN NOW!!!

Postby Saahs » 05/03/2017 8:25 PM

And by soon, we mean right now.

There was no rustling, no warning that the creature was there. Neither Eli or Griffin had time to retaliate before another of the beasts leaped onto Eli from the trees. It was smaller than the first--but still towered over Eli as it collided into him, teeth gnashing and claws raking down his sides. The sounds it was making, a horrible, gargled howl, was almost a victorious cackle. It bled together like paint with Eli's agonised and terrified screaming.

Griffin only had the time and mind to jump back and aim his rifle right for the beast. He should have done this the first time, gods, why didn't he just shoot the first beast to begin with? The shot cracked through the howls and screaming, putting them both to a deafening halt when the beast toppled over. Red poured from its forehead, and it didn't get up again.

But whether or not it was dead for sure was trumped by a bigger worry of Griffin's. He shoved the thick-furred body aside and dove for Eli. "Oh gods, oh gods oh gods are you okay? 'Lijah, are you okay?!"

in darkness we trust.

trails of insecurities.

in darkness i trust.

Saahs
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Saahs » 05/03/2017 9:08 PM

Eli couldn't remember getting knocked to the ground. He didn't recall his own screams, the gunshot, or the warm body slumped over him. The world was only static, and a shrill ringing in his ears, until it was pushed off and he was suddenly able to breathe again. The pain in his left side and shoulder arose when Griffin started trying to pull him away from the body. It felt the way a snapping stick sounded and looked.

He tipped his head back to look up at Griffin's grey, panicked face. The man was practically hoisted Eli straight up in his hysteria. "C'mon, 'Li! Now's not the time to pretend to be me! We have to--we have to go now!!" Griff turned his head at the sound of approaching howls. There were others. Many, many others. He whipped his head back to stare down Eli with wide eyes.

The howling was enough to convince Eli, and he straightened himself out with a hand pressed to his bleeding ribs under his jacket. "'Kay, I'm up, I'm up," Eli gasped, struck again by a second wave of pain. Thankfully, it wasn't enough to daze him again, but looking to Griffin, who was still gawking at him with wide dark eyes, seemed to be dazed himself.

in darkness we trust.

trails of insecurities.

in darkness i trust.

Saahs
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Saahs » 05/03/2017 9:14 PM

Eli reached his free hand out, placing it on Griffin's arm. The other flinched, eyelids fluttering as he gave a soft yelp. "Li," Griffin breathed, eyes at last flickering away from Eli's wounds and towards another set of howls. "We're not gonna make it. We have to go back the way we came."

A stone formed in Eli's gut as it sunk in what he was suggesting. "What?!" His voice cracked with incredulity. "Whichever way we go, Griff is gonna be 'bout the same distance! 'Sides, it's just a nick, I can treat it if we just, just..." He looked around, free hand moving from his friend to rake through his hair. His glasses were still teetering on the bridge of his nose, both lenses despairingly cracked. With a frustrated grunt, they were swatted away into the grass.

in darkness we trust.

trails of insecurities.

in darkness i trust.

Saahs
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Saahs » 05/03/2017 9:21 PM

This was not a breed of fear Griffin was familiar with. He knew, always, that he would be forced to survive the things he was put through. And he always knew they'd only happen to him so long as he cooperated. But you can't negotiate with monsters. And this time, he wasn't the only one that was at risk.

"That--that's not just a nick, 'Li, you're bleeding down your entire left half!" He fumbled through his pack, shaky hands fishing out a skimpy roll of bandages. It wouldn't be enough to cover the whole wound. But damn him if he was going to let his one friend bleed out right there and then. Cursing under his breath, he struggled to wrap Eli's torso. "Hold sti--hold still!"

The howling all around them sounded like laughter again.

in darkness we trust.

trails of insecurities.

in darkness i trust.

Saahs
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Saahs » 05/03/2017 9:27 PM

"Dammit Griff do you want to go back the way we came or be sitting ducks?!" A low growl rumbled out of Eli as he snatched the bandage roll from Griffin's hands, chin pressed to his sternum as he dressed himself with a more experienced hand. "There, I'm not bleedin' out now! Which fucken way are we goin'?!" His hands clapped against his sides as he fixed a glare up at Griffin. "I' really IS th' same distance either direction, jus'. Come on!" He shouldered past Griffin, heading northwest.

There wasn't a lick of a chance they'd make it. Eli bent down and ripped his rifle up from the ground, the strap having been torn by the beast that still lay beside it. He'd take that chance if he had to tear his way through dozens of those things' ribcages with his bare hands.

in darkness we trust.

trails of insecurities.

in darkness i trust.

Saahs
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Saahs » 05/03/2017 9:32 PM

Oh no, oh hell no, they were not going any further into this pit of death. Griffin chased after Eli, pulling him back by the shoulder. "Hooow do you know that for sure? You're still bleeding all over the place! We don't have the chance to hope you're right--hell, you could bleed out before we even get out the way we came!" He tried to guide Eli the other way, which proved more difficult than he'd hoped. "You want to find your family, we can do that when we're not surrounded by man-eating wolf people!"

This was wrong. Something was horribly, horribly wrong. Why weren't any of those things coming closer? He could still hear them, howling and yapping in a mockery of human laughter. What... what were they waiting for?

in darkness we trust.

trails of insecurities.

in darkness i trust.

Saahs
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Saahs » 05/03/2017 9:45 PM

Eli's face twisted into a snarl as he jerked himself out of Griffin's hold. "So what's the point of doin' anythin'?! We're fucked, mate! Those sons a' bitches are surroundin' us, we can bolt any differen' way, we're still fucked!" He whipped around and stormed towards where he thought the northwest was, not bothering to check the sun's position. "If yer so worried abou' me kickin' it, you can relay the massage if they're at Aldrect!"

The howling was all but lost on him, now. He'd kill them, he'd kill any of them that tried to jump him. Eli cocked his rifle and picked up the pace. "Now COME ON, we're gettin' to Aldrect even if one of us has t' carry th' other's corpse there."

in darkness we trust.

trails of insecurities.

in darkness i trust.

Saahs
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer