A mysterious area, explorers tend to go missing and never return. A low fog constantly blankets the forest floor and strange sounds have been reported being heard during the day. Not much else is known about the forest. (+3 Speed, +2 Endurance)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Whisper Forest

Crow and Void[P:Lith,Kylo]

Postby Kylo » 05/02/2017 10:17 PM

(The Outsider)
(Human Form)

It should not come as much of a surprise that the Outsider would choose to appear in such a dreary mist covered place. The forest was reminiscent of the Void, and had just as much horror stories attached to it as well. As to why the god had chosen to show up in this world was a true mystery. Though boredom would be a good guess.

He lightly floated against a tree and gazed out into the mist, black eyes reflecting what little light could be found under the shadowy canopy. He could hear rustling somewhere out in the woods and raised an eyebrow at it. It seemed like he would soon have company.

You can't wake up, this is not a dream
You're part of a machine, you are not a human being
With your face all made up, living on a screen
Low on self-esteem, so you run on gasoline

I think there's a flaw in my code
(Oh, ooh-oh, ooh-oh, oh)
These voices won't leave me alone
Well, my heart is gold and my hands are cold

Are you deranged like me?
Are you strange like me?
Lighting matches just to swallow up the flame like me?
Do you call yourself a fucking hurricane like me?
Pointing fingers 'cause you'll never take the blame like me?
"Gasoline" by Halsey

Kylo
Well-Traveled Explorer
Well-Traveled Explorer
Pets | Items
Keystones: 269
Donate

Re: Crow and Void[P:Lith,Kylo]

Postby Lilith Michaelis » 05/03/2017 12:06 AM

The forest was quiet as the foreign god floated through the trees, only disturbed by the occasional sound of the fluttering wings and calls of birds and the far off cries of some animal in the distance. One particular set of eyes followed the Outsider as he moved through the forest, their line of sight only broken when the need to move arose. The nearby rustling of leaves is all that would betray the creature's presence.

Eventually, the leaves rustled once more before a bird made its presence known, a corvid of some sort by the look of it. One that didn't seem afraid of the Outsider, merely curious. It was certainly a strange bird, for it possessed the black feathers and body structure one would expect from such a bird, but its eyes were red in color. The corvid hopped closer to the entity on the branch it had perched on, as if trying to get a better look before it canted its head at him. And then it spoke.

"I haven't seen something quite like you for awhile. What brings you to the Whispering Forest, friend?"

There's a reckoning a-coming
It burns beyond the grave
There's lead inside my belly
Cause my soul has lost its way

Lilith Michaelis
Master Pet Tamer
Master Pet Tamer
Pets | Items
Keystones: 738
Donate

Postby Kylo » 05/03/2017 12:53 AM

The Outsider looked up at the bird and merely blinked at it.

"Friend? I don't think I've had one those in a very long time."

He avoided the question entirely as he studied the bird a bit curiously. He had to repress a small smirk as he thought of Corvo. Yes, they both were strikingly similar, though Corvo would be sure to disagree.

"You know it is polite to show yourself as you really are."

A slow small smirk crossed his face as he stared at the corvid.

"I am The Outsider. And you are?"

(Oh, ooh-oh, ooh-oh, oh)

Are you strange like me?
"Gasoline" by Halsey

Kylo
Well-Traveled Explorer
Well-Traveled Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Lilith Michaelis » 05/03/2017 2:53 AM

Some odd sound croaked out of the corvid that might pass as the crow equivalent of a laugh.

"Who says I'm not?" the bird quipped back before hopping up onto a thicker, sturdier branch. The corvid's body seemed to almost melt into something that moved somewhat like a suspended liquid before growing and reforming into what appeared to be a human. They were around five feet, pale, and androgynous, somehow managing to make perching on a branch look like lounging. Those same reddish eyes stared at the Outsider from behind black hair that reached just a few inches past their shoulders. Was this their true form? Who knew.

A smirk to match the god's dawned on the being's face.

"You may call me Dubhán. Your name is strange though I suppose befitting of one like yourself."

Lilith Michaelis
Master Pet Tamer
Master Pet Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Kylo » 05/03/2017 9:51 PM

"Dubhán. I haven't heard a name like that in a long time."

Shadows swirled and the Outsider disappeared only to reappear on a branch near the strange corvid spirit in another swirl of black. He leaned on his side along the branch, his left arm propping his head up as he studied Dubhán more carefully.

"Do you live here in these woods? I must admit they give off the same atmosphere of my own domain. Though with more trees and far more life."

He ran his fingers along the bark feeling the texture, the bark moist and damp from the never ending mist.

"I must admit, when I came here I was not expecting to meet a non-mortal. After all, creatures like ourselves are not exactly commonplace."

(The Outsider-2)

(Oh, ooh-oh, ooh-oh, oh)

Are you strange like me?
"Gasoline" by Halsey

Kylo
Well-Traveled Explorer
Well-Traveled Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Lilith Michaelis » 05/03/2017 11:28 PM

"Is that so?" the diminutive person asked curiously. Whether Dubhán was their true name or not remained to be seen, but it is what they called themselves and so that was what they were. They changed position as they watched the strange shadow-y outsider (heh, a fitting name indeed) disappear and reform on a nearby branch. They effortlessly moved their legs from underneath them so that they could sit on the branch itself, legs swinging and arms gripping the branch on either side. "I call this place home, yes. Tell me, Outsider, where do you come from?"

Even as Dubhán had moved, their red eyes had never left the Outsider. They looked him up and down, observing him, trying to read him, to learn about him. The Outsider certainly was a strange creature. He certainly felt non-mortal, there was no doubt about that. The corvid spirit wouldn't suggest otherwise. That would be silly. But there was something....Hm...

Dubhán chuckled to themself, as if something had just occurred to them. Said thing they must be quite the sight to the random observer. If a random observer happened to look up and wasn't too worried about other things that dwelt within the forest. Let's just say it wasn't wise to find yourself unprotected when the sun fell.

"No, we're not, are we? Though if you consider the vastness of the universe, not too surprising in the long run. Just uncommon."

Lilith Michaelis
Master Pet Tamer
Master Pet Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Kylo » 05/04/2017 9:12 PM

Shadows gathered and swirled as the Outsider disappeared from view to reappear on the branch above Dubhan. He enjoyed watching those red eyes follow his movements. They were different and thus a slight curiosity.

"Yes, it is so."

He floated slightly above the branch in a standing position looking down at Dubhan below, his arms crossed in front of him.

"I come from what I am. A manifestation of the void. The realm between life and death, reality and dreams. It is in everything, yet can not be accessed by mere force of will."

Once again moving he now stood next to the crow spirit and waved a hand nonchalantly.

"The universe, yes. The world? Not as much."

He seemed to consider his choice of words before continuing.

"Just what role do you play in this world? I've already told you mine."

(The Outsider-3)

(Oh, ooh-oh, ooh-oh, oh)

Are you strange like me?
"Gasoline" by Halsey

Kylo
Well-Traveled Explorer
Well-Traveled Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Lilith Michaelis » 05/05/2017 12:02 AM

And follow him they did. After all, the Outsider was not the only one intrigued by strange eyes belonging to strange people. The last time they had seen eyes as wholly pitch as that was.....well. Honestly, they couldn't remember when they had last seen eyes like but it had to have been awhile.

"Ah. I see. I admit, I haven't seen a Void God in quite some time. But as long as you mean no harm to my home, I have no qualms with you, Outsider. That sort of Void isn't quite so bad."

Dubhán's head snapped as the foreign god moved once more. He certainly like blipping from place to place, didn't he? Not that Dubhán was innocent of this either; they quite often to their conversation partners, usually much to said partner's annoyance.

They smiled wryly at the Outsider as they answered. "More than you'd expect, my friend. The world's a strange place. As far as my role goes....I suppose something mildly akin to yours. I watch. I help to maintain the balance. And those who seek to undo it, well... They're not overly fond of me."

Lilith Michaelis
Master Pet Tamer
Master Pet Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Kylo » 05/15/2017 6:39 PM

"Balance...hmm. I don't really believe in such a thing. Time undoes all things. Cities rise and fall. Civilizations wipe each other out. Death takes all. It is chaos, and cycles. So balance...I don't have much stock in it," he mused in response at the crow man.

"Things get boring, predictable. Sometimes a little shake up is in order. Not by us of course, but by the mortals who litter the world."

He motioned with his hand and shadows swirled around it.

"I give a select few my mark, which gifts them with some of the void's magic. They know the risks, and accept all responsibility for their actions. It is on them to decide what is appropriate use or misuse of their powers."

He looked down at Dubhán with a slight frown.

"Mortals decide the fate of their lives and the lives of those around them. I merely watch them."

(The Outsider-4)

(Oh, ooh-oh, ooh-oh, oh)

Are you strange like me?
"Gasoline" by Halsey

Kylo
Well-Traveled Explorer
Well-Traveled Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Lilith Michaelis » 05/20/2017 4:31 PM

"Depends on how you look at it. Think about what you just said, Outsider. Everything exists in cycles. And what is a cycle if not a form of balance? Civilizations, cities, societies. They are meant to rise and eventually fall. Death and Time take all, yes, but what does that mean without Life? Balance is merely a matter of perspective. At least in regards to this conversation."

The spirit shot the Outsider an odd sort of smile, nothing malevolent or mean-spirited, just....odd. Almost a sort of smirk. And apparently it was their turn to start moving around because they disappeared in a small burst of black feathers before appearing on the branch above and hooking their knees around it so that they could hang upside down.

The world was always sort of funny from upside down.

"Hmm. Suppose our roles are a bit different then. No matter," Dubhán chirped, shrugging lightly, their hair extending past them lazily. "That certainly is an interesting way of going about your business though. Though not uncommon, if you think about it. We immortals are rather notorious for using mortals for our own amusement. They paused for a moment, canting their head at the Outsider.

"Is that not what we all do, in a sense? Watch them direct the fate of the universe while we dip our toes in occasionally."

Lilith Michaelis
Master Pet Tamer
Master Pet Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Kylo » 05/23/2017 4:19 PM

"I suppose you could count some cycles as a form of balance," the Outsider relented as he crossed his arms.

He watched the spirit disappear in a puff of feathers, and reappear hanging upside down on the branch above.

"I wonder, what exactly you do to those who seek to unbalance the world? And what would warrant what you consider to be creating unbalance?"

The Outsider leaned in close to Dubhán's face and smiled slightly, if it could be called a smile. It was a bit too unnerving to be really considered a smile. Sharp teeth glinted between his lips he pressed uncomfortably close.

"I wonder, just what you would do to an immortal who threatens your balance?"

(The Outsider-5)

(Oh, ooh-oh, ooh-oh, oh)

Are you strange like me?
"Gasoline" by Halsey

Kylo
Well-Traveled Explorer
Well-Traveled Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Lilith Michaelis » 05/27/2017 10:58 PM

"What else would a cycle be?" Dubhán asked, an air of unconcern surrounding them. The spirit didn't swing their body back and forth but they most definitely kicked their feet a little bit.

"My dear, you've mistaken balance as my main function. I merely help in that respect. I nudge."

A moment passed as the Outsider leaned further in, his sharp teeth glinting in Dubhán's face. They did not move as the foreign god leaned forward. Suddenly, the corvid spirit grinned, giggling. Apparently someone was amused by this.

"Outsider, are you trying to intimidate me? How adorable."

Lilith Michaelis
Master Pet Tamer
Master Pet Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate