A mysterious area, explorers tend to go missing and never return. A low fog constantly blankets the forest floor and strange sounds have been reported being heard during the day. Not much else is known about the forest. (+3 Speed, +2 Endurance)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Whisper Forest

Hippocratics [P, SpringsSong]

Postby Mousen » 09/16/2017 9:54 AM

(I got bored, so.)

The room that Medlar lead Krattia into was down a set of steps. The old flagstone floor was cracked and moss-covered, but it was cool underneath Medlar's feet. There were a few shelves set into the wall, originally for votive candles that now held jars of various kinds. They were not labelled, but their wooden tops scratched with deep indents, obviously a system of writing. It had been a large room originally, some kind of shrine, and only half of the roof remained. Where it did, Medlar had hung things he needed to dry from the old oak beams. One of the walls had mostly crumbled too, although this worked in the clan's favour. It provided access for any of the larger Paragon. Off to one side was a large raised crypt, with writing that had long since faded. It was presumably the tomb of a saint or some other venerable person who'd since been forgotten to time. Medlar was using it was a table to store some of the larger items he had.

He moved about the place without any discernible difficulty, settling in in one of the darker corners of the room. "Oh!" he said suddenly. "I suppose you'll need a light, won't you? I'm sure I left some candles on the tomb." The paragon seemed to realise how strange his statement sounded, because he continued. "We must look like a strange bunch to you, living in a place like this. I just hope you can bring yourself to get used to it, or, at least manage to suffer through. I mean, not only are you with a tagtag bunch of misfits, you're stuck with their blind old healer 24/7. It's not enviable," he laughed.

"I'm not sure how adept of a teacher I am, its been a long time since anyone's bothered to listen to me." Another laugh. "But, I'll do what I can. I'm sure you'll do your best to keep me on the right track. Oh, I'm being inconsiderate again. Is there anything you need, dear? Apart from me to stop my wittering, I mean."

We’re all hysterical & going nowhere together.

C’mon rapture. Let’s go bedazzling.

Nothing gets futured without its own spitshine
& I’m already not not not not not not miraculous.

Mousen
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Keystones: 160
Donate
Status: Jack of all trades is master of none, but better than a Master's degree.

Re: Hippocratics [P, SpringsSong]

Postby SpringsSong » 09/16/2017 1:59 PM

Krattia.

Krattia followed Medlar carefully, practically half-running to make sure she didn't fall too far behind Medlar.  That, she supposed, was one of the disadvantages of being a much smaller Paragon breed; however, she could get into several smaller spaces that larger Paragon wouldn't have an easy time accessing.

When he mentioned needing light, she gave a small nod as she went over to the tomb, looking around for candles.  She found a few, and she placed them in a couple of areas to get some light.  She held their wicks into her tail flames for a few moments to ignite them.  The flame on the candles glowed a pale silver-green for a few moments, and then, faded to a warmer orangeish hue.

"Actually, I'm quite fascinated by how your clan lives.  A bit of a refreshing change to my own, you know," she said, sitting across from him, looking around the shrine.  "It's an impressive structure, to be sure," she said, waving her claw around to indicate the room.  "Back in the Root, we have a large underground den where all of our healers work out of, and we also visit the individual dens of other clan members--if a female is about to lay her eggs, for instance, we'll go to her."
Maybe I'm foolish, maybe I'm blind
Thinking I can see through this to see what's behind
Got no way to prove it, so maybe I'm lying
Take a look in the mirror, what do you see
Can you see it clearer, or are you deceived in what you believe?
Don't ask my opinion, don't ask me to lie
Then beg for forgiveness for making you cry
'cause I'm no prophet or Messiah
You should go looking somewhere higher

I'm only human, I make mistakes
I'm only human, I do what I can
I'm only human, that's all it takes to put the blame on me

Don't put the blame on me

"Human", Rag'n'Bone Man

:.:Eternal Spring:.:Tome of Records:.:Spring's Wishlist:.:Eternal Spring Breeders:.:
SpringsSong
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Keystones: 5883
Donate

Postby Mousen » 12/21/2017 10:50 AM

Medlar could smell the burning wick of the candles as Krattia lit them. Good, at least shed have enough light to see by now. "Yes, our clans, despite being neighbours, really do have a very different way of going about things, don't they? Still, variety is the spice of life and all that. I really don't think the forest has need of two sets of paragon camping in the ruins of an old cathedral, or university, or whatever this place was." Medlar couldn't imagine who thought it would be a good idea to start building a place like this in the middle of Whisper Forest, especially with the forest's reputation. Still, it was here, and they'd made use of it.

"How many healers do you have there?" Medlar couldn't help but be curious. After all, his own clan was so small, that hearing of the Root was almost like hearing of another world. "We haven't had any eggs within the clan yet. I've done my fair share of midwifery over the years, but. I suppose with only Simeon and Perris being mated, its not terribly surprising."

Mousen
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate
Status: Jack of all trades is master of none, but better than a Master's degree.

Postby SpringsSong » 12/21/2017 11:12 AM

"I wonder if this structure predates any... myths about the forests," Krattia mused aloud, looking around.  Surely there had to have been something there before the stories of explorers entering the forests and never coming back.

...although, even if there weren't, sometimes it gave her and the others comfort to think that there were.

"We have six healers total, although I am the only one aside from Yenaya who has a title other than 'apprentice'," Krattia answered.  "Skarea and Kyrindor are brother and sister, Adalden is Yenaya's mate, and Dalirnis is the son of our lead sentinels.  All have shown considerable aptitude for healing, although Yenaya and I still tend to the more severe wounds and illnesses--part of our inborn gift as Placid Paragon," she said.  "But even then, there's only so much a Placid's healing magic can do."

"Human", Rag'n'Bone Man

:.:Eternal Spring:.:Tome of Records:.:Spring's Wishlist:.:Eternal Spring Breeders:.:
SpringsSong
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Mousen » 02/08/2019 5:50 PM

"I wish I could tell you," Medlar said. "Our scholars, and by that, I mean almost all of us,have spent so much time trying to figure out what this structure was and when it was completed. Some parts of it seems to be older than others. Some of it is ecclesiastical. Why else the huge east window? Others... seem completely secular. It's very strange."

Medlar made a noise of understanding as Krattia explained. "Natural talent often goes a long way, and skill can make up for the rest. I have an awful lot of understanding and knowledge, but I often need an apt pair of hands to turn that knowledge into something practical."

Mousen
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby SpringsSong » 02/09/2019 5:45 PM

"Perhaps it is something to be explored, then," Krattia said.  She looked over the architecture again to take it all in, although she listened to what he was saying the whole time.

"There is a saying that Yenaya instills in the other apprentices, and in myself," she said.  "Hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work hard.  It was meant to teach them that they could learn their trade studying and learning their skills, but to caution me and herself against becoming too comfortable in our natural talent.  Just because we can do it with a thought does not mean we don't need to continue learning."

"Human", Rag'n'Bone Man

SpringsSong
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Mousen » 03/30/2019 7:49 PM

"I think so," Medlar agreed. "It's been a difficult task. We were left with many old manuscripts in the library, but they're often in bad condition and we haven't actually discovered any directly relate to the structure itself. It's all very puzzling."

Medlar made a noise of understanding. "You're right, of course. I've certainly been able to give more naturally talented paragon a run for their money every now and again. I know every plant in this forest, eyes or no." It certainly helped to have a couple of assistants to deal with the practical side of his healing, but otherwise Medlar was more than capable of helping his patients.

Mousen
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate