A mysterious area, explorers tend to go missing and never return. A low fog constantly blankets the forest floor and strange sounds have been reported being heard during the day. Not much else is known about the forest. (+3 Speed, +2 Endurance)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Whisper Forest

Night Watches [p, Mousen]

Postby SpringsSong » 09/16/2017 1:02 PM

ImageImageImage
Aerarnis.  Raloi.  Irindor.

As Merildra and Krattia left with Simeon and the others (Merildra was practically skipping, while Krattia was more reserved), Aerarnis, Raloi, and Irindor remained for a few moments before turning, leading Frey away from the meeting place to their own den.

"I am not certain what sort of accommodations you have in your clan," Aerarnis said, barely looking over her shoulder.  "But we call ourselves the Root for a reason."

As she said this, a large tree came into view.  There were a few Paragon that were going about their day-to-day just outside of the tree, and others emerging from the ground below, and others retreating back into the ground.  This time, Raloi spoke up.

"Our den-builders suspect that this is the grandmother tree here," he said.  "It has been here for eons, and with proper care, will likely last for eons more.  Our dens are built into the ground beneath."

"We'll go to the gathering place first, so that you can get settled in with Katalmach and Kalach-cha--receive a den assignment, and meet some of the rest of the clan.  Right now, the plan is for you to accompany Irindor on the fourth-watch patrol, when the skies are darkest.  Tonight, I will be accompanying you two," Aerarnis said.
Maybe I'm foolish, maybe I'm blind
Thinking I can see through this to see what's behind
Got no way to prove it, so maybe I'm lying
Take a look in the mirror, what do you see
Can you see it clearer, or are you deceived in what you believe?
Don't ask my opinion, don't ask me to lie
Then beg for forgiveness for making you cry
'cause I'm no prophet or Messiah
You should go looking somewhere higher

I'm only human, I make mistakes
I'm only human, I do what I can
I'm only human, that's all it takes to put the blame on me

Don't put the blame on me

"Human", Rag'n'Bone Man

:.:Eternal Spring:.:Tome of Records:.:Spring's Wishlist:.:Eternal Spring Breeders:.:
SpringsSong
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Keystones: 5883
Donate

Re: Night Watches [p, Mousen]

Postby Mousen » 09/26/2017 6:24 AM

Frey felt a little bit disorientated and it wasn't until Aeranis spoke that she realised why. Underneath her feet, she could feel the vibrations of other paragon as they moved deep underground in different parts of the Root. It took her awhile to adjust, but she found she could tune out the ones that felt, fainter, more distant. There were the footfalls of her companions just ahead of her, some small creature like a deer some ways behind her. She could hear the wind as it rustled the branches of some vast tree.

"This is very different to my clan. We live in the ruins of some huge building that the humans left behind. We think it was a cathedral and priory, though it may have been used for other things before it really started to fall apart. We use their cellars to store our library." Frey wondered for a moment if this would seem trivial in comparison to their sprawling underground living quarters. Simeon could have chosen something more traditional, out of the way of humans, but they liked books too much, and enjoyed interacting with the  travellers that passed by.

"It's very impressive. Especially since you haven't been here too long, correct? I'm amazed at what you've managed to achieve in such a short time."

That all sounded reasonable. "Right. That sounds wonderful, lead the way."

We’re all hysterical & going nowhere together.

C’mon rapture. Let’s go bedazzling.

Nothing gets futured without its own spitshine
& I’m already not not not not not not miraculous.

Mousen
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Keystones: 160
Donate
Status: Jack of all trades is master of none, but better than a Master's degree.

Postby SpringsSong » 12/18/2017 9:46 PM

"Well, two of our den-builders are spirits--or descended of spirits--so they have a... way with moving earth and water in ways that infinitely speeds up the process," Irindor said as Raloi and Aerarnis went further ahead of them.

"Maybe someday, I could see where your clan lives," he said after hearing her describe it.  "It sounds different from how we live--ah, here we go.  Here's the descent into our clan's dens."

"Human", Rag'n'Bone Man

:.:Eternal Spring:.:Tome of Records:.:Spring's Wishlist:.:Eternal Spring Breeders:.:
SpringsSong
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Mousen » 12/20/2017 7:22 PM

Frey tilted her head to the side. "Descendants of spirits? Really? That's fascinating. I'd love to hear more about it, if you're able to tell me. I mean, Simeon and I have some faery blood. We're capable of little bits of illusion, even some shape-changing, but nothing on this scale." As they descended, the vibrations of the deer and other small animals moving above them faded. The movements of the paragon below were becoming more and more apparent to her. It was a little disorientating, if she was honest with herself.

"Am I alright to?" She reached out to him, her arm resting on his shoulder. "I'm quite sensitive to sound and vibration, being a sandshark and the, um, transition is throwing me off a little. This is totally unlike anywhere I've been before. I'll be totally fine in a couple of minutes, I'm sure."

"I'm sure that'd be possible," Frey said in reply to his comment as they continued. Other than her claws resting on Irindor's shoulder, she seemed totally unfazed by the change of sensing paragon going about their business beneath her feet.

Mousen
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate
Status: Jack of all trades is master of none, but better than a Master's degree.

Postby SpringsSong » 12/21/2017 11:17 AM

"Absolutely," Irindor said, slowing his pace to allow Frey time to acclimate to the change.  "We have a couple of Sandsharks within the clan, and both had their tricks for getting used to everything here.  One's our lead ground hunter, and the other... well, I'm not actually sure about her.  You see, this spot in these forests was not our first home," he explained.

"We used to live in Tengel.  During our clan's absence--something happened that about wiped the whole clan out nearly a millennia ago--a clan of Battlehearts that had always been hostile towards our clan moved in on our territory.  When we started to return, they felt the need to press the attack.  We fled here, to Whisper, and... found another group of Paragon that knew the forests decently, but normally appeared as humans.  We agreed that it would be beneficial if we merged.  I still don't know about their origins, other than they bear considerable inner power."

"Human", Rag'n'Bone Man

SpringsSong
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Mousen » 02/08/2019 5:42 PM

Frey made a noise of understanding. "I'm sorry you had to leave your ancestral home," she said. "I can only imagine what its like to leave behind that kind of history, even if you were only just starting to return. The... amount of history there. We, the other paragon in my sibling's clan, don't have anything like that at all. We're more of a found family, we came together several years ago. The only thing that bound us together was hoping to find a place where we could pursue our interests in peace, we were travelling scholars before we settled in the whisper forest."

It had been longer than several years, Frey supposed, by now. They forest was now their home in a way that she couldn't have imagined when they first settled there. They were only a small group really, little more than a footnote for somewhere like the Root. It made her glad they were so peaceful.

Mousen
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby SpringsSong » 02/09/2019 5:39 PM

"I never... actually saw that home," Irindor said.  "My egg was found here, in Whisper Forest.  They don't know where it came from, or who my forebears are, but I don't mind it.  I have found my family here with these Paragon," he said, bowing his head as they passed the various other dragons.  He did, however, keep his pace as such that Frey could keep up with him until she had adjusted to the subterranean nature of their den.

"Human", Rag'n'Bone Man

SpringsSong
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Mousen » 03/30/2019 8:20 PM

"Oh, I'm sorry," Frey said. "But I'm glad you managed to find a place where you belong." She wondered how Irindor felt about that, although she certainly wasn't going to ask him about it. It was definitely a personal matter. Frey didn't know what she'd do without the little family she had, before the clan Simeon had gotten her through all of the tough times in her life. Even now she had other paragon to rely on, and Simeon was busy leading them, they still had a very close relationship.

It'd probably take her a few hours to really get used to the strangeness of this place, but she could feel her senses adjusting to a point where she felt confident she wasn't going to bump into anything. Fine-tuning her sense of distance would take awhile, but she was getting the hang of something being near or far, underneath or above her. She was finding it easier to keep up with the other paragon.

Mousen
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate