A mysterious area, explorers tend to go missing and never return. A low fog constantly blankets the forest floor and strange sounds have been reported being heard during the day. Not much else is known about the forest. (+3 Speed, +2 Endurance)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Whisper Forest

Out of Place {Solo, M: L}

Postby Saahs » 07/02/2018 4:08 PM

((AU in which Griff wasn't imprisoned. I'd like this RP to be moved to the Whispering Forest!))

It wasn't as if the forest wasn't already a haze of mist and strange activity. But now? Something was wrong. Something was horribly wrong with Griffin's new home. His feet left the foliage beneath his steps undisturbed, and yet something else still seemed to shift the dead leaves and little plants. As he wandered about the glades, his gaze shifted in search for... whatever was causing such an uncomfortable aura. He couldn't quite see the physical manifestation of the new mist-- but he could feel it.

And how strange it was, to feel something this incredibly so again.

Despite it being futile, his hands reached up to grasp his arms, shoulders shrugged high in a look of discomfort. This was wrong. His forests shouldn't feel like this. What was going on?

He'd long since grown accustomed to the way his surroundings appeared to him; rippling, shifting shapes and a far off white light that served as a much closer horizon. He'd grown used to passing by strange creatures and even stranger people who leapt through the treetops with daggers in hand. But all was calm now, all was... out of place.
when that light goes out this eve,
some will run, and some will grieve.

if you have a reason, or if you believe,
in darkness we trust.

the whores and gentlemen, they lead,
trails of insecurities.

i am not a watchman, i do as i please.

in darkness i trust.

About/Journal | Zoo Pen | Documents | Wishlist
Saahs
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer
Pets | Items
Keystones: 1122
Donate

Re: Out of Place {Solo}

Postby Saahs » 07/02/2018 9:55 PM

There wasn't much use to investigating something if he couldn't see what exactly it was that was manifesting. Steeling himself, Griffin nodded his head to absolutely no one in particular, and turned to wander deeper into the forest. Hoping that, somehow, a creature or person was foolish enough to venture out into... whatever this strange and unwelcome entity was that was blanketing the forest.

His eyes, or rather his gaze as he didn't quite see with actual eyes any more, flitted about in search of some form of life. It wouldn't be too hard to spot, living things oftentimes gave off a soft light of their own; a glow, so to speak. Depending on how magically attuned the creature or person was, the glow would be stronger-- or weaker. It didn't matter though, how strong or feeble the magical link was; Griffin simply needed someone to possess, so he could see through their eyes, what was going on.

Granted, of course, that the manifestation he was feeling had a visible form at all.

in darkness we trust.

trails of insecurities.

in darkness i trust.

Saahs
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Saahs » 07/02/2018 10:43 PM

((Random NPC #2967362))

Something was amiss in the woods today. Not just the mist that was creeping about just above the ground, no. There was something else, something nearby. Much smaller than the mist, more intensified into one place. And yet... he couldn't find where it was coming from! Reginauld trekked onwards into the woods, his senses alert and the hair on the back of his neck aroused. This was not good. Maybe he should have picked a different day to take a hike. Or maybe a different forest entirely, maybe this black mist was normal here? He had no clue.

This was his first time venturing into the woods, away from the small village that lay just outside its borders. Perhaps it had been unwise to have ever left it; the world, so far, was terrifying, and all he'd experiened so far were plains and a forest. He knew the world was far larger than that. And that fact, along with what little he'd thus far experienced, scared him quite witless.

in darkness we trust.

trails of insecurities.

in darkness i trust.

Saahs
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Saahs » 07/02/2018 11:00 PM

Ahh, there was one. A skittish looking man, with little meat to his form and vestments that hung heavily from his frail body. Hand me downs, more than likely. But Griffin wasn't there to inspect people or act as some genius detective who could decipher the smallest aspect about someone based on what crumbs were left on their clothes or whatnot. He was there to possess the poor sod.

Griffin drifted closer to the stranger, circling around him a few times to be certain that he couldn't be seen. At least, not yet. He'd certainly be noticed come the time that he slipped into this fellow's brain, but before then, all he hoped to be was a chill down the spine. And as he made his third round about the man, it seemed that way. The corner of his spectral lips pulled up in a smirk. Perfect.

in darkness we trust.

trails of insecurities.

in darkness i trust.

Saahs
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Saahs » 07/03/2018 12:44 PM

Reginauld shuddered, his hands grasping at his upper arms to hug himself closely. The sensation was now severe, and very, very close. He wasn't entirely pleased with this turn of events, and he looked over his shoulder to the direction he'd come from.

... Err, that was the direction he had come from, right...? No? Yes? Oh dear, he couldn't remember which way he'd come into the forest from. Well. This was a situation, wasn't it? The man gave a trembling sigh, shivering in the middle of the glade as he turned this way and that in search of which way he had ventured in from.

To no avail.

in darkness we trust.

trails of insecurities.

in darkness i trust.

Saahs
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Saahs » 07/03/2018 1:20 PM

The ghost tilted his head a tinge, humming to himself in thought. This one seemed... familiar. No matter, there was no way he knew this person; he'd never seen him in the forests before. So, he went about his business, dismissing the thought. It was once the man started to circle about in frantic desperation that Griffin made his move. His form rippled, shimmered, and dissipated into smoke that slithered into the stranger's head and made himself comfortable in his foreign thoughts.

He had never possessed a sapient being before. It had always been animals in the past. So getting a hold of the mental reigns? A little more difficult than he'd anticipated. With an internal growl, Griffin struggled and strained to take complete control over his host's mind.

in darkness we trust.

trails of insecurities.

in darkness i trust.

Saahs
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Saahs » 07/03/2018 1:23 PM

But Reginauld was going to have approximately none of that. Not in the slightest, no sir! He was sure now, something was trying to control him! What kind of forest was this where unseen entities mind controlled poor innocent travellers? Were all forests like this? He dreaded to know the answer, but even more so, he dreaded to find out what it would be like to lose hold of his own actions and thoughts. Nor did he want to find out what was trying to take over his body and mind.

"Excuse me!" he hisses in exclamation, staggering back with a hand pressed to the side of his head, which was now beginning to swim. "If you have business with my brain, I would much appreciate it if you'd ask first!"

in darkness we trust.

trails of insecurities.

in darkness i trust.

Saahs
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Saahs » 07/03/2018 1:26 PM

My deepest apologies, Griffin retorted straight into the other's thoughts, sounding somewhere between genuine and snarky, I need to see what is happening, so may I borrow your sight for a moment? There, how's that.

He was frustrated already. This sod was putting up a pretty good fight, and he didn't like that one bit. His aura shrunk inward, but at the same time grew more intense, and he pushed with all his might to reach out and lay claim to the man's limbs and facial features. If he couldn't control him via the brain, perhaps he could try the rout of just puppeteering his body?

in darkness we trust.

trails of insecurities.

in darkness i trust.

Saahs
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Saahs » 07/03/2018 1:34 PM

Oh, this was rich. Terrifying, but rich. Reginauld couldn't help himself, and he burst into a furious fit of guffaws. "Oh no, my good sir, I think not!" he cried out, his back thudding against a tall tree. "If you'd be so kind, I have business to attend to, so if you'd please find someone who isn't busy to toy with?"

... Wait half a tic. He knew that voice. Only vaguely, but how could he forget the emaciated beanstalk that trailed after a shorter, pudgier boy all over the village?

How could he forget the voice of one of the missing children?

"Hold on a second..." He slowly pushed himself forward, tapping at the side of his temple. "You're... you're one of the children. The ones I'm looking for! Aren't you! What... what happened to you?"

in darkness we trust.

trails of insecurities.

in darkness i trust.

Saahs
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Saahs » 07/03/2018 1:42 PM

Oh. Oh. He did know this person. This was one of the market vendors. Reginauld Thatcher. Griffin had never really talked directly to him, but he'd been around the man while talking to Eli in the past. Not the smartest of fellows, as far as he could tell, but he had a big heart, and had slipped the two of them some trinkets now and then when they were small boys.

And now, he was asking about the one thing Griffin didn't want to talk about.

... I'd rather leave that a mystery for you to solve on your own. He tried to shake Reginauld's head to emphasise his words.

in darkness we trust.

trails of insecurities.

in darkness i trust.

Saahs
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Saahs » 07/03/2018 1:45 PM

Again, though, to no avail. Reginauld's head remained still as stone, save for perhaps a twitch. "I never caught your name... but I'll respect your wishes, young man. But-- could you please respect mine, in return?"

Reginauld wrung his hands together, eyes flicking about in anticipation. For something to leap out, someone to snatch him, just... something bad to happen. "I truly am on a mission, and I don't... I don't think sticking around in the same spot is a very wise idea. This forest is accursed, a darkness lies upon it. What is it that you need to see, any how?"

in darkness we trust.

trails of insecurities.

in darkness i trust.

Saahs
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Saahs » 07/03/2018 1:49 PM

Don't call me young man, I'm in my twenties, Griffin found himself snapping out, before he gathered his wits. There was no burning rage, but he could still tell that, for a brief second, he'd been strangely angry, more aggressive than he would ever cared to be. ... I'm sorry. I didn't mean to shout like that.

Steeling himself, he made no move to leave Reginauld's body. Instead, he struggled to at the very least, take control of the part of his brain that his eyes were connected to. It was... different, from an animal's brain, but how hard could it be? I just need to see what is making the forest more strange feeling than usual, without real eyes my sight is rather limited.

in darkness we trust.

trails of insecurities.

in darkness i trust.

Saahs
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Saahs » 07/03/2018 1:52 PM

Hrm... that made sense, Reginauld supposed. Regardless, he wasn't in the mood to be possessed! "I understand, but I'd much rather keep my functions to myself. I could describe to you what I see, how about that, uh... what's your name, young sir?"

Before he could be given an answer, his mind began to whirl and fade into an intense, static-encrusted fog. "Wait... wait..! I don't..!"

Too late. Reginauld found himself spiralling into darkness, a loss of control over his limbs, loss of his sight, all sensations really, and he landed in midair, floating in a vast nothingness. And yet, he was aware of his own mind surrounding him-- and the mysterious ghost's mind, as well.

in darkness we trust.

trails of insecurities.

in darkness i trust.

Saahs
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Re: Out of Place {Solo, M: L}

Postby Saahs » 07/03/2018 2:24 PM

Sorry, pal, but I don't do the whole interpreting descriptions thing very well. With that, Griffin took control over Reginauld's body, and slowly, the world around him began to transform.

Everything became clearer, coloured, and he could feel the sensation of his "own" body's weight being pulled to the ground. He could feel the insides of his host; the organs, the blood pulsing, the faintest of twitches in his muscles. He could even feel the bending of his joints. Underneath his feet, plants and dead leaves crunched as he regained his composure. Most of the animals he had thus far possessed, were all quadrupedal. This time, he was on only two feet, and it was throwing him off.

in darkness we trust.

trails of insecurities.

in darkness i trust.

Saahs
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Re: Out of Place {Solo, M: L}

Postby Saahs » 07/03/2018 9:22 PM

Reginauld could tell, now. He was being taken over by this boy. This boy, whom last he'd checked, had been timid and quiet, hunched over whilst cowering from behind his much louder, aggressive friend. Had death truly changed this poor lad so badly? Was he simply always like this, and had a talent for hiding his true self? Which was it?

Wait, please! I can help you, just let me do so, my friend! He struggled to shout out to the ghost now possessing him. Goodness knew if he'd heard him, as for the longest time he was met with no response, only silence and an endless spinning sensation.

in darkness we trust.

trails of insecurities.

in darkness i trust.

Saahs
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer