Welcome to the Dead Coast, home to the world's largest bucket of salt! Located nearest the Re'nee Sea, this small port-city is home for all opportunists who would gather the sea's salt deposits left on the shores and sell them for profit. (+2 to Endurance)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Dead Coast

On Fire [P, Thunder]

Postby Indigo » 07/10/2012 8:28 PM

It was pretty clear to Monette that she needed to get out of the house. Buckley's Traveling Library had stopped near the Dead Coast for a few days, Linnet immediately befriending a score of people as was her way, and one of them had been browsing in the back where Monette was sleeping. He'd surprised her and she'd kind of...overreacted. So, since she was feeling a little jumpy after that encounter and it was a bad idea to set the library on fire more than once in the same day, she'd gone for a walk. A run, really, because they'd been on the road for a while and she was tired of being cooped up inside. She was too big to move around in there as much as Linnet did.

It was a pretty good day to be out, she thought, as these things went. It wasn't too crowded around where she was, so she was free to just run and not worry too much about running into people and maybe burning them because she was so warm all the time. That was probably something she should worry about, since it had only started a year or so ago, but when she'd seen a doctor she'd been told it was just a function of her fire, and she'd gotten used to it. Anyway, it was good to be out and not knocking anyone over, since last time she'd done that it hadn't gone over very well, and she didn't have to flee from any angry pedestrians or--

Which was, of course, the perfect time for her to plow right into a stranger. She was all apologies immediately, of course, but she had a feeling it wouldn't go over too well.

[Hope this is okay.]
Indigo
Well-Traveled Trainer
Well-Traveled Trainer
Pets | Items
Keystones: 329
Donate

Re: On Fire [P, Thunder]

Postby Thunder » 07/16/2012 4:20 PM

(It's fine~ And sorry for being a little late. I just got back from my trip x3 Uh...I'm assuming Monette is in human form? So Ven is too, but if she's actually quad, I can still do that.)

Being a member of a secret science organization could be pretty stressful. Veneziano had just received another order for some bombs he invented, but he did not have any of them in stock and would have to make more. Creating the explosives was tedious work, and after several straight hours of getting the job done, he decided that he'd have to take a break. So he ordered Tori, the mysterious bionic girl he had recently befriended, to stay put in his house while he went out to the shore.

It was sunny outside, but it wasn't too hot since the sea breeze cooled the air. There weren't many people outside either, which was good for Ven, since he liked a degree of peace and quiet. He had heard that there was a sort of "traveling library" going around, though he wasn't sure where that would be located, and Ven figured that he might as well try to find it before going to the beach.

He hadn't gotten too far, however, when a girl almost plowed him right over.

Veneziano's eyes flew wide open in surprise, but he quickly regained his balance. Shaking his head, he blinked at the person and apologized. "Sorry! Are you ok?"

"If everyone is one, none will be afraid."

Pen~Breeders~Trades~Wishes~Rentals
Thunder
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Keystones: 877
Donate

Postby Indigo » 08/09/2012 11:35 PM

[It has been far too long and I'm sorry. It won't happen again.]

'Oh, gosh, I--I'm fine, but--oh, I'm so sorry," Monette stammered. "What about you? I hope I didn't--are you okay?" Hoped she didn't burn him, she had been going to say, since being so warm all the time usually had a negative effect on direct contact, but if he hadn't noticed the heat she probably shouldn't say anything. Especially since for a second after she'd run into him, fire had flared at her fingertips, but she hadn't been touching him when it happened, she thought, so that was probably okay. Still too clumsy with it. She was usually good at control, but being startled was still...problematic.

"Listen," she said. "I probably shouldn't keep apologizing, but is there anything I can do to make up for it? That's probably a weird thing to ask." She wasn't really sure why she'd said it. Maybe because she tripped or ran into people so much, and it built up guilt-wise, or something like that. "Sorry. Never mind. I should be getting back."
Indigo
Well-Traveled Trainer
Well-Traveled Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Thunder » 09/02/2012 6:20 PM

(No worries xD; I sometimes post late too, as you can see >_< I have to give you my apologies too!)

Ven ran a hand awkwardly through his dark hair. "It's fine," he replied, "I'm all right. No damage was done. I think I should actually be asking if you're ok." The girl seemed awfully nervous, and he wasn't quite sure why, considering that people accidentally bumped into each other all the time. Of course, people usually didn't nearly smash into someone else, but even then it would still be a forgivable action. He gave her a small smile and chuckled slightly.

"You don't have to make up for anything, really," he said. "It's not weird at all." Although secretly the girl's nervousness intrigued him, Ven really felt it wasn't his place to get into other peoples' business. "Actually, before you go, can I ask you something? I heard there was a 'traveling library' going around, and I was wondering where I could find it. Do you know anything about it?" He hoped she did; Ven was a huge fan of history and was eager to read some new books on the subject. Checking out a book and reading it on the beach sounded like a good idea.

Thunder
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Indigo » 09/03/2012 7:29 PM

Monette stuck her hands in her pockets, just to be sure. She was still nervous, but she brightened at the mention of the traveling library. "Oh, yeah! That's Buckley's. I work there, usually, but I was trying to get some fresh air. You know how it is." She wasn't entirely listening to what was coming out of her mouth, relieved at not having done any damage, but she noticed enough of what she was saying to wince internally at the last sentence. "But I can show you where it is. Like I said, I need to be getting back anyway."

She started off in roughly the direction she'd come from, although she didn't know this area that well and maybe she was walking entirely the wrong way; running into a stranger had thrown her off. But this looked familiar. She glanced back once before she'd gotten very far, just to make sure he was following, but she didn't want to seem pushy or anything given how weird she'd been acting. Something else to work on.
Indigo
Well-Traveled Trainer
Well-Traveled Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Thunder » 09/09/2012 12:42 PM

Oh, so this girl worked at the library? That was a happy coincidence. Ven smiled and chuckled at her words. "Fresh air is nice. Especially when that air is blowing in from the sea. It carries that nice beach-y smell, you know what I mean?" He glanced in the direction of the beach and took a deep breath before turning back to the girl. "I'd appreciate it if you could show me where the library is. I've been meaning to get some history texts to read."

He started following the girl and waved back at her whenever she check to make sure he was following. Somehow, she didn't seem to recognize the area as well as Ven did, but then again Ven had lived at the Dead Coast for most of his life, and someone who worked in a traveling library probably moved around too much to become truly familiar with any one place. The upside of moving around a lot, though, was that one got to see many different things and learn more about the world. Ven reminded himself to get out more, though doing so would be harder with a strange, metal-winged girl living in his house.

Thunder
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Indigo » 09/30/2012 3:58 PM

"History texts? What's your interest in history?" Monette had never been big on history; she thought of it as dwelling on the past, and that seemed pointless, although some of it was probably interesting, in a way. She'd heard that thing about those who don't know history being doomed to repeat it, but she wasn't in a position to start any wars, and as far as she could tell she was doing okay otherwise.

Was this the way she'd come? She wasn't sure, now. A lot of streets in this place looked the same to her.

[Short and late and doesn't make much sense. Ack.]
Indigo
Well-Traveled Trainer
Well-Traveled Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Thunder » 10/13/2012 10:55 PM

"The rise and fall of kingdoms," Ven chuckled, "the politics of different eras, the great rulers of the past! I like military history, especially. If I was born in another time, I would probably be running around conquering the earth." He found his own words a little ironic; his father had wanted him to join the military, but he didn't, partly out of spite for the man, who Ven thought lingered too much in his bygone days of glory. Ven wasn't totally disconnected from the military, however, but that wasn't anything he was going to announce to the public.

After a moment of walking, he noticed that the girl seemed confused about where she was going. "Are you lost?" he asked her. "Do you remember what street the library is on? If you tell me, I can try to find it for you."

Thunder
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Indigo » 12/02/2012 8:41 PM

"Well," Monette said, "when you put it like that, I guess it does sound pretty interesting. I just don't really like all the memorization you have to do in school. And there's something about all those battles..." They made her worry that one day there'd be another war, one that she'd have to fight in. She was pretty sure she could defend herself if someone attacked her in the street, with her fire--and being able to take canine shape would probably help too--but that was different than having to fight against a lot of people with big, dangerous weapons who might not care if they got hurt. And in that situation she wouldn't be able to run away, either. "Conquering the earth doesn't sound too bad, though."

She had hoped that, as they kept walking, the buildings and streets around her would start to look a little more familiar, but it was pretty clear by now that she was lost. Good one, Monette. "Um, I don't know any of the street names around here, but I think there were some tall buildings near it. That's not much help, is it? Linnet likes to park the library as close to the center of town as possible, if that helps any."

What are you looking at?

Indigo
Well-Traveled Trainer
Well-Traveled Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Thunder » 12/20/2012 12:47 AM

Veneziano paused and took a look around at his surroundings. Tall buildings would stand out in a town like this. The town was located on the Dead Coast, after all, and they couldn't afford to build too many tall structures too close to the shore in case a storm came in and blew everything down. There were some areas further into the land that had taller buildings, however, so the traveling library was probably around there.

"I have an idea of where we are," Ven murmured. "We shouldn't be far away, then. We just have to go a little deeper into the town." He cracked a smile at his guide. "Well then, are we switching roles? I hope it's not too embarrassing if you follow me... Don't worry, I won't laugh at you!"

With that, Ven turned and walked down a street to their right, looking over his shoulder to see if the girl was tagging along. They would get to their destination in a minute or two, if his idea of the location was right.

Thunder
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate