Welcome to the Dead Coast, home to the world's largest bucket of salt! Located nearest the Re'nee Sea, this small port-city is home for all opportunists who would gather the sea's salt deposits left on the shores and sell them for profit. (+2 to Endurance)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Dead Coast

All According to Plan [P]

Postby crow » 09/25/2014 10:11 PM

ImageImage

To be fair, it hadn't been Larkin's plan to ruin the, er, salt monument. Which, by the way, was still a stupid idea. Why anyone would build a monument to salt, she couldn't fathom. But the locals were pretty angry at them, and nothing she said or did would placate them--- and more importantly, nothing Ezzy did would, either. And people liked Ezzy.

“Yes, well,” Ezzy said, “you don't plan very well. I'm sorry, Larkin, and I love you, but you should really work on that.” His voice had that slightly frantic note to it that it always had when they were being chased by an angry mob. Larkin flashed him a sheepish smile, then abruptly snagged his arm and dragged him into an alley. She put a hand over his mouth to muffle his exclamation of surprise, watching with bated breath until the crowd had passed by. She didn't let him go until the sound of their footsteps had faded. Esmond leaned against a wall, breathing hard, and mopping at his forehead with the back of one hand.

That wasn't what I had in mind at all when you said we ought to go see the ocean,” he said. Larkin made a face at him.

“I didn't think it would be so boring. Or that they'd be so salt-obsessed. Or that someone would think it was a good idea to make a salt monument out of actual salt. Does it not rain here? I mean, it would've been destroyed sooner or later, right?”

“I don't see a way we're going to get out of this without being branded as vandals. Or worse,” Esmond said, kneading his forehead with his fingers. Personally, Larkin didn't know what was so bad about that. After all, it wasn't as if they had killed anyone. Injured, yes; angered, yes; traumatized permanently, maybe... But then, Esmond had always been the one who worried about their reputation.

Still, there was no need for such a bleak outlook. “Don't be like that, Ezzy. You know we can just go back, right?” She patted his shoulder and leaned down so she was face to face with him. He looked at her sidelong, and sighed.

“Yes, but... It always feels so strange. And you know how it muddles my head to keep track of where--- when we are, when we do that.”

“Well, it's vandals or going back. You don't want to be a vandal. Besides, this is easy! We'll just skip this town, now that we know there's nothing to see here. It's not like last time, when we executed that guy, and it caused a civil war...” Esmond winced. Okay, it was still too soon to talk about that. She made a mental note of that. At last, however, Esmond straightened, and looked just incrementally less exhausted.

“I guess you have a point,” he said. Larkin grinned at him, and reached out to grab his hand.

Holding her shard aloft for dramatic flair, she said, “On the count of three--- ready? One... Two... Three!” There was a dizzying lurch, and the world around them melted away into a brown-greyish blur. When it resolved itself back into something recognizable, Larkin and Esmond found themselves walking up a path to a seaside town, five days earlier from where they'd just been.
crow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Keystones: 3874
Donate

[1] [1]

Postby Indigo » 09/28/2014 11:12 PM

Consistency of quality and characterization not guaranteed.
ImageImage

It had taken Pepper a while to push the paperwork through, even with her connections; the people up at the main headquarters didn't consider a mis-destroyed salt monument a terribly urgent matter. But, as she pointed out to anyone who complained about such things, given the nature of their skills it didn't really matter. Any irritation she felt about it would be kept to herself.

In any case, it was pretty well overridden by her distaste for the Dead Coast. Pepper was meant for a sterile office building, orderly and neat, where the only irritating particles were the occasional wad of lint, and the tenacity of sand and salt made her even more snappish than usual. Rocky had spent most of the brief journey--a miscalculation had dropped them about a mile from their target--in flight in order to avoid the complaints.

She touched down just outside the town, and grinned up at Pepper, who only frowned in return. She was unfazed. Normally this kind of job would be reserved for the Tiberians, the League's police force, since the anomaly was clearly intentional, but there was only a limited division of them in Evelon and they were all off handling something more important. Which was absolutely fine by Rocky. After all, they didn't know who was actually responsible yet. For all they knew they could be helping to catch some kind of interdimensional order of history-ruiners, or something, which would certainly be more exciting than what she'd been doing up to now.

"How do we find them again?" She had pretty much stopped listening to the briefing after the first few sentences. Too excited to concentrate.

Pepper made an annoyed sound. "If you've been properly trained, you should be able to sense them. They don't match the surrounding time stream, and they leave a trail of disruption."

"Of course!" Rocky said brightly. "But doesn't that mean they'll be able to sense us coming, too?"

"We'll worry about that if and when it becomes relevant."

"Right. Sorry, ma'am."

There was definitely a sense of something amiss here. Rocky couldn't properly describe the sensation of her home timeline, given that she spent so much of her time in it she no longer noticed it around her, but this was...not that. It felt similar, but there was the odd sensation that all the air molecules had moved slightly to the left.

Pepper had explained, before she became too annoyed with the sand to speak, that the monument was indeed supposed to be destroyed. But it was supposed to be destroyed slightly later and by someone else, and compounding matters, the culprit had attempted to reset the timeline, creating an uncomfortable branch which likely would make the whole town uneasy sooner or later. Though that was secondary. The most important thing was maintaining the integrity of the timeline.

The discomfort was stronger near the edge of town than it was inside, so presumably whoever was responsible was currently approaching, unless they'd abandoned the place they were manipulating--but that seemed unlikely. Nothing to do now but wait.
Indigo
Well-Traveled Trainer
Well-Traveled Trainer
Pets | Items
Keystones: 329
Donate

Re: All According to Plan [P]

Postby crow » 10/02/2014 3:56 AM

Esmond was the first to stop. It was always a bit disorienting when they made the jump, no matter how short a journey it was. He stood as still as he could and waited for the blurring in his vision to recede. By that time, Larkin had stopped too, but she didn't seem dazed in the least. She was peering out at the town they'd visited--- the town they'd been going to visit--- with a considering look on her face.

"I don't know what I was thinking," she said. "You can tell that it's not a very exciting place at all, even from here." Esmond didn't say so, but that was privately why he had encouraged Larkin's inclination to visit the place. The two of them had always had different ideas of what constituted an enjoyable trip, and Esmond's was the tamer of the two by a large margin. He took his breaks where he could get them and counted his blessings. He had been hoping that his partner would be content to cool her heels, which in retrospect had been his horrible miscalculation. Larkin was the sort who seemed to be able to throw a room into chaos just by the mere virtue of her presence sometimes.

Esmond straightened, and looked around. "We could head back up the road and see where that takes us," he proposed. Larkin gave a shrug. It wasn't as if they had anything planned out. Esmond took a map from the pack and shook it out. "There's a 'Medicai City' a few days' journey from here." He tried not to sound too hopeful. Larkin rolled her eyes.

"Yeah, I guess you'd love that, huh? You nerd. Just how far into your studies did you get anyway, before all this happened?" Esmond laughed, though her question bothered him more than it should have. He wasn't unfond of their journeys, but unlike Larkin, he hadn't been ready to leave his realm when he did. He still wondered, sometimes, how his life would have turned out if it wasn't for... well.

"Gripe all you want, but we would've died at least four or five times by now if I wasn't such a nerd," he retorted, unable to repress a grin. He already knew that he'd won this one; Larkin would be putting up much more of a fight if she was really opposed to the idea. She eyed him, taking note of his eager expression, then sighed and began walking back up the road from which they'd come. Medicai it was, then.
crow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

[2] [2]

Postby Indigo » 10/02/2014 4:34 AM

Pepper's ear twitched. "There's something..." The tiniest of shifts in the source of the disruption. Rocky wouldn't be able to feel it; she still wasn't through with her training no matter what she might claim, and according to proper protocol she shouldn't even be here. Ridiculous, the way the standards were slipping.

But more important was the situation with the disruption. They were moving, probably trying to avoid a repeat of their earlier mistakes. Or trying to avoid being caught. The featherduster was right about one thing--if the perpetrator knew enough to try to reset the timeline they would doubtless be able to sense the presence of other time travelers, even ones technically less out of place. Pepper's frown deepened, and she stepped forward.

"Hey! Where are you going?" Rocky had been distracted, thinking about Zu'hai only knew what nonsense, and now scrambled to follow. "I mean, where are we going, ma'am?"

"Wherever the vandals are going," she snapped. "Unless you want them to escape."

"Oh!"

It didn't take long for them to come into view; there wasn't much around here other than the town itself to hide behind. One of the sparse benefits of the coast, she supposed. They were human, or appeared to be, though who could tell these days? Pepper tried to keep in mind that humans weren't universally awful, not by a long shot, humans were responsible for the founding of the League and she'd defend those particular ones to the death, but...she had to admit a certain distaste for them. Too many of them seemed to think she was a steed, and not her own person.

But better to focus on the task at hand. Now that she knew where her target was, she could speed up without worrying about losing them. She heard an irritated squawk as she dropped to all six legs for greater speed, but Rocky caught up with her a moment later, aided by her wings. "Stop, vandals!" Pepper shouted, which in retrospect wasn't the best way of getting their attention, but it was better than anything about the law. Technically it wasn't exactly a law they were breaking, anyway.

What are you looking at?

Indigo
Well-Traveled Trainer
Well-Traveled Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby crow » 10/16/2014 1:10 AM

"Aw, shit." Larkin took off running as soon as she heard someone yelling at them. She didn't even bother to look behind her to check who it was, or whether she was actually being chased. Esmond was a little slower on the uptake and hadn't started running, so she screeched to a halt, turned around, snagged his arm and forcibly dragged him along as she pelted ahead. You wouldn't think someone of her stature could do that to someone of his, but Larkin was pretty strong when she needed to be. Plus, Ezzy was so skinny that he didn't weigh that much either.

"Why are we running?" Esmond asked. Larkin rolled her eyes. This boy. What was she going to do with him? This is why she couldn't leave him to his own devices; the fool didn't even have a jot of sense.

"You heard 'em! 'Stop vandals'. Wow, I wonder who that could be? The girl scouts here to sell cookies, maybe?!" Larkin said.

"But that's just the thing!" he protested. "How would they know we're vandals? I thought we went back!"

"We did!" she yelled back. There was a pause, as the thought worked its way through her alarm-stricken head. Yeah, actually, hadn't they done that? The salt sculpture was still supposed to be there, intact and still gracing the town with its ridiculous presence. Larkin hadn't even come anywhere near it in this timeline, and she wasn't going to if she could help it. And while she didn't keep the cleanest of records, they hadn't done anything else terribly vandal-like in this universe.

"Yeah, well, I'm not gonna stop long enough to ask, and if you're smart, you won't either!" she concluded. If she'd learned one thing from her travels, it was that she was better off safe than sorry. In this case, that meant hauling ass just in case these people turned out to mean her and Ezzy no good, which she highly suspected they did, even if all they had to warrant it was a false accusation. A glance at Esmond's face told her that he didn't feel so sure about that, but she just tightened her grip on him and kept running.
crow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

[3] [3]

Postby Indigo » 11/16/2014 7:43 PM

Pepper was fast, but the targets had a considerable head start, one that she wasn't sure she could beat. Fortunately, she'd brought along Rocky, who on the ground was hampered by her avian hind legs, but in flight could easily outpace a human at the very least.

Rocky spiraled over the Radill, minimal showing off as far as she was concerned, and then went into a dive to increase her speed, landing a few yards ahead of the vandals. They could escape, still, if they went off the road, but she hoped they were panicked enough not to think of it. She spread her wings, trying to signal them to stop. Pepper grimaced; if this didn't work that would just make more trouble, and if it did she'd have to pull up short and possibly run into them. Although at least that would slow them down for a bit.

[Apologies for this short and pathetic post/the wait time.]

What are you looking at?

Indigo
Well-Traveled Trainer
Well-Traveled Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby crow » 11/19/2014 12:04 AM

((hey, no rush; and I don't mind short posts if you don't))

Esmond wasn't made for running for his life. He'd had to do it often enough that you'd think he'd be better at it by now, but alas. It didn't help that he relied more on his magic if things ever came to a fight. It was effective, but not a combat style that encouraged vigorous exercise, compared to the more physical fighting arts. When the Sygriff dropped in front of him, Esmond gave up the attempt at escaping, already panting for breath.

Larkin lingered for about five seconds before she realized that he wasn't going to run any further, then bolted to the side and slipped away again. He looked after her with a bleak expression, but he was too tired to sigh. He didn't blame her though. Knowing her history, Larkin would sooner have cut off her own arm than subject herself to a situation where she might be trapped. Well, maybe it was because she was better at making a getaway than Esmond was.

"I'm... I'm sure... this is a misunderstanding, and I am sorry for... running." The pain in his lungs reminded him that he was sorry for more reasons than one. "If you would be so kind... So kind as to explain... Please don't chase my partner," he added, for their sakes as well as Larkin's. Going after her would most likely result in a wild goose chase that wouldn't end well for anyone. "She'll come back for me sooner or later, I'm sure..." In fact, Esmond didn't think Larkin was very far off from where he was, though he had lost track of her as he strained to get his words out. She couldn't have gone far if she wanted to keep tabs on him, and he was confident that if the situation turned out to be safe, she'd reveal herself in due time. He didn't know what she would do if he ended up in a less pleasant sort of custody, but they had always stayed together in the past, after all.

... And besides, whatever this was, it was definitely her fault.
crow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

[4] [4]

Postby Indigo » 12/28/2014 6:40 PM

Pepper skidded to a halt around a foot away from the remaining target--the other one had bolted, and she'd have to give chase at some point, but she couldn't leave Rocky to deal with this one alone, or the entire operation was bound to fall apart. Rocky didn't exactly have the skills to bring in a renegade time-traveler on her own, and probably wouldn't for a while.

"We'll worry about her later," she said; she was doing her best to loom over him, intimidate him into staying put.  "I assure you, there has been no misunderstanding. The League does not misunderstand temporal violations."

"That's not true," Rocky interrupted. "Remember that time with the bird things where it turned out the guy wasn't manipulating time at all, he was actually--"

"You," Pepper said, "are not helping. Now, as for you--" And here she glared down at the vandal. "--you have some explaining to do. What were you doing, messing about with the monument's timeline like that?"

What are you looking at?

Indigo
Well-Traveled Trainer
Well-Traveled Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby crow » 01/01/2015 11:19 PM

If one was wondering whether Larkin was the type to abandon her friend and partner in crime to the mercy of the authority goons they'd attracted, wonder no more: she absolutely, certainly was. Of course, she meant to come back and get him later, when things had smoothed out a bit more--- and in the business of smoothing things out, she was usually more hindrance than help. Her brand of smooth and easy lying tended to work better if people didn't start angry, and there was just something about those two that struck a little too close to cops for her liking.

She hid as soon as she found a place to hide though, which left her within earshot of the exchange, if barely.

Meanwhile, Esmond was left to the mercy of... Well, he didn't know, but they seemed sentient, at least. They spoke a language he could understand, but that had been evident enough already. "I do beg your pardon, but I have never heard of any League," he said, which was about as far as he could follow in their conversation, besides what they were accusing him of. "I'd be happy to explain myself once you do the same." He didn't know which rights were or were not in effect in regards to these two, if indeed they belonged to any sort of authority at all, and even he was ill inclined to sit and have demands yelled at him until he had a better grasp of the context. He also didn't appreciate the reptile's attempts at intimidation. If it was merely meant to cow him, he didn't feel particularly cowed; and if they really meant to make a fight of it, well... He preferred to avoid fighting, but he'd seen enough of it to be resigned to the possibility. He did still have his tomes on him.

But manners were manners, of course. "My name is Esmond," he said, having done away with his surname long ago; what meaning did it hold in other realms anyway? "It's a... pleasure."
crow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

[5] [5]

Postby Indigo » 01/03/2015 10:34 PM

Not heard of the League? Rocky couldn't even imagine it. She hadn't known about them herself until they approached her, of course, but all throughout her training she'd been given to understand that it was a widespread and fairly famous organization. Surely any time traveler who was anyone would know about the League? Either these two--well, one at the moment--were low-profile, or this one was lying.

Pepper sighed. She had hoped for...she wasn't sure exactly what. An easy surrender, perhaps, given how much larger she was and that she had the full force of the League behind her. Or would have, once word got back to them about exactly who they were after, though she'd have to probe for a few more details before she could do anything about that. Which would have been far easier if this fellow didn't insist on arguing with her.

"I don't see how you can simply not have heard of one of the premier interdimensional-travel societies in the multiverse," she snapped--she would have preferred not to acknowledge those other people, of course, but even she had to admit they did know their job, and they did it...acceptably, she supposed. To a different standard than the League, but not, as far as she was willing to admit, a better one. "But very well. It is possible news of us has not reached you. That is not the reason I am here. Explain to me why you altered the timeline of this place. There must be some reason."

When Esmond introduced himself Rocky responded, almost by reflex. "Pleased to meet you! I'm Rocky, and this is Pepper."

Her enthusiasm served only to deepen Pepper's scowl. "We are not here to make friends with the vandals. We are here to apprehend them. However friendly they may seem."

What are you looking at?

Indigo
Well-Traveled Trainer
Well-Traveled Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby crow » 01/13/2015 11:09 PM

Esmond did his best to remain calm in the face of the Radill's temper. They were talking now, rather than acting out the roles of pursuer and pursued, which was something at least. With an air of incredulity, he said, "I'm afraid I've never heard of any interdimensional-travel societies, as you called them. My partner and I have never encountered such a thing in our travels. I hope you'll excuse our ignorance on the matter, as we're just learning about this now." It wasn't hard to sound bewildered; as far as he knew, he was telling the truth, though he did wonder about Larkin. She had been travelling somewhat longer than he had, and she had never been particularly forthcoming about her history prior to meeting him.

Speaking of Larkin, the girl had decided that if their pursuers were no longer quite so intent on bodily dragging them off somewhere, she might as well come out of hiding. Being separated from Esmond had a tendency to put them both at a disadvantage, and if it came to a fight, it was definitely better not to leave him alone. "Yeah, if I had known there would be bureaucracy involved, I'd've never picked up the habit, personally," she said, walking into the conversation as if it was nothing more than a casual meeting at the local watering-hole. "Seeing you two makes me wonder if it's time for a career change."

Esmond gave her a look, to which she shrugged in reply. She had come back for him, hadn't she? What else did she want out of him? "I'm Larkin, by the by. As far as being apprehended goes, I can't say I'm terribly enthusiastic about the prospect, so you'll have to 'scuse any resistance on my part," she said with a grin.

Esmond heaved a sigh. Diplomacy was not one of Larkin's strong points, and their styles of persuasion were ill-matched for any kind of coordinated effort. He was beginning to wish she had just stayed hidden and left the talking to him, but there was no turning back now. "If you could explain what it is you wish of us, I'm sure we could come to an agreement, without resorting to use of force," he said, with a pointed glance at his own partner.

As usual, she pretended she hadn't seen.
crow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

[6] [6]

Postby Indigo » 01/16/2015 7:26 PM

Pepper stared at them, shocked enough she didn't even comment on the other one's sudden reappearance. The League, as far as she was aware, was excellent at detecting rogues. She'd picked up several herself, and quite a few of those had joined the organization. Even the ones who went back to freelancing usually, as far as anyone had observed, kept the League's regulations in mind to avoid being apprehended again. And as far as she knew those...other people also had agents to monitor this sort of thing.

"I cannot imagine how you have avoided us thus far," she said, after a moment to regain her composure. Such as it was. "Those who make a habit of toying with timelines usually come under our notice sooner or later. In any case, at the moment I merely wish for you to explain your actions. Once I know why you've done what you've done here, we can discuss the matter further."

"We might have to call the Tiberians in," Rocky added cheerfully. "And you don't want that. Er...probably." She had never actually seen the Tiberians at work, given that they tended to be resentful of the rest of the League for some unfathomable reason, but she had certainly heard quite enough about their fierceness and strict enforcement of regulations.

What are you looking at?

Indigo
Well-Traveled Trainer
Well-Traveled Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby crow » 02/22/2015 12:39 AM

Larkin sighed. "Told you we should've run for it while we could. Now we've gotta deal with all this bureaucracy." She spat the word as if it were poison, crossing her arms and rolling her eyes. If she were just a few years younger she might yet have ventured to stick her tongue out at them, but now she was too mature for that. Barely. She still considered the idea for a moment, before deciding that no, it wasn't necessary... Pity.

Esmond gave her that look like he wished she would stop talking. "Yes, we'd be happy to explain. We're tourists, you see. The issue with the sculpture was an accident, and... this was simply the best that occurred to us at the time to fix it and avoid any more trouble with the locals."

Right, well, if Esmond planned to do all the negotiating, Larkin had better find another way to amuse herself. Not like there was much fun to be had with negotiations anyway, not if she didn't want to risk it coming down to a scrap--- and Ezzy wouldn't like that. She turned her attention to the griffin, who thus far seemed to be the more reasonable (or less bureaucratic) of the two. "What do you get up to anyway? You're not just an organized party-pooping brigade, are you?"
crow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

[7] [7]

Postby Indigo » 03/23/2015 6:29 PM

At this point Pepper seemed no longer to have the words to reply. She hadn't been remotely prepared for anything like this.

"Well, we're pretty organized," Rocky said. "There's this complicated hierarchy based on when we picked up timelines for which worlds, and such. They give you a book when you join to keep track of it all, and that also helps when it comes to figuring out what timelines you're supposed to be managing. Plus there's all the filing cabinets, you can't get much more organized than that." Well, you probably could. But the rest of the League seemed very pleased with the filing cabinets. "But the rest, not really. Mostly we just clean up timelines and bring in people who are screwing them up."

"People like you, for example," said Pepper, who had finished spluttering. "Tourists. Even if that is true, you have been impossibly irresponsible with your abilities. You've created an entire additional timeline and damaged the one you were originally in! This sort of thing cannot be allowed."

What are you looking at?

Indigo
Well-Traveled Trainer
Well-Traveled Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby crow » 04/24/2015 2:17 AM

Larkin snorted. "Yeah, like we had teachers around when all this started happening to us, slapping us with a great big book of rules. Do you have brochures? Do you tour local high schools doing seminars on your trainee programs for troubled kids experiencing sudden jumps in time?" Esmond was already moving to hush her, but she slapped his hand away. "Come on! You're just going to let her keep talking about us like that?"

Esmond sighed. He was going to need a good strong cup of tea after this, and even that was probably not going to be enough. Was that the appeal of vodka? Maybe he ought to look into it. "Please excuse her; she's very agitated. We'd love to cooperate and resolve things as soon as possible, of course, but I do have to ask. What would you like us to do, exactly?" He was still hoping for a diplomatic solution, if Larkin hadn't completely blown their chances for one. Who knew? Maybe it would just be some paperwork, a few fines, some lessons on proper conduct.

Of course, if it was a lifetime of jail or some kind of execution, even Esmond would have to pass on that. He just didn't want to jump to any conclusions.
crow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Next