Welcome to the Dead Coast, home to the world's largest bucket of salt! Located nearest the Re'nee Sea, this small port-city is home for all opportunists who would gather the sea's salt deposits left on the shores and sell them for profit. (+2 to Endurance)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Dead Coast

A Night To Remember [Self] [DONE]

Postby Skeetzybug » 10/12/2015 2:25 AM

"Come on, boys, we're gonna be late." It was business as usual. Erika stood at the door, faerie costume pristine and bags in hand, and tapping her foot as she waited. The boys were always a smidge late - and by a smidge, she meant a lot. It didn't matter how much forewarning she gave them, didn't matter if she told them 10 minutes before they actually needed to go, somehow they were always late. It was as if they had a gift, and not one Erika was thankful for. "Boooooys!"

"We're comin'!" The voice boomed across the small house, footsteps thudding as Ethan came careening around the corner, half dressed and all grin. "Come on yourself, Eri! You KNOW it takes awhile to perfect all this." He gestured to his costume. His puffy-sleeved shirt and bandanna-tied ponytail had a ridiculous feel to them, but if anyone could pull off that look, it was him. He made enough jokes about being a pirate as it was, considering how much time he usually spent out on the sea. He might as well seal the deal, he'd insisted. Erika knew better than to argue.

He sleeps alone,
He needs no army where he's headed cause he knows
That they're just ghosts
And they can't hurt him if he can't see them
And I don't know
If in the morning I will be here and if so,
Let it be known
That I was worthy,
I was worthy,
I was worthy,
I was..
Imp Docs ☽☾ Zoo ☽☾ Wishlist
Skeetzybug
Master Veteran
Master Veteran
Pets | Items
Keystones: 90
Donate

Re: A Night To Remember [Self]

Postby Skeetzybug » 10/12/2015 2:36 AM

"Yeah," the softer agreement came from the bedroom doorway, where Cole stood in his ramshackle werewolf costume. "We know." Erika couldn't help a small smile at the sight of him. It had taken awhile to find a fake fur that came as close to his actual fur color as that one, but it was worth it. His amber-gold eyes always worked so well with that shade. He looked back with a gentle smile of his own. "Sorry. I couldn't get my paws on right." He paused at that, looking down at said costume pieces "...that's a weird sentence.."

"That's alright, Cole," she said, unable to help a laugh. "Besides," her gaze turned back to Ethan, who was rummaging through the living room for hell only knew what. "It's not you who I'm worried about."

"Ooouuuuccchh!!" Ethan laughed back, echoes still louder than his partners. "Harsh words for someone who hasn't even helped us out tonight!"

He sleeps alone,
That they're just ghosts
And I don't know
Let it be known
That I was worthy,
I was worthy,
I was worthy,
I was..
Skeetzybug
Master Veteran
Master Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Skeetzybug » 10/12/2015 2:37 AM

"We went over this before," she answered, getting increasingly exasperated. "I asked if either of you needed help, and neither of you did!"

"Please, you know better than to believe us." He snorted, finally emerging from behind the couch. "Right Cole?" Cole was still sharing at his paws with a thoughtful expression, and Ethan beamed. "See? I told you." Erika rolled her eyes, sighing deeply. It was true - where would they even be without her?

"Okay, fair," she said, throwing her hands up. "Regardless, we still have to get going. This night doesn't last forever, yes?" She peered over the edge of her small-frame glasses at the pair. Ethan shrugged with what she supposed was agreement, and Cole gave a full nod.

He sleeps alone,
That they're just ghosts
And I don't know
Let it be known
That I was worthy,
I was worthy,
I was worthy,
I was..
Skeetzybug
Master Veteran
Master Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Skeetzybug » 10/12/2015 2:38 AM

"Yeah," he said, looking between them. "And we still have to pick up Winter." Cole's little sister had come with the pair every year for as long as Erika could remember. She was her own special brand of odd - just like the rest of them. Though she was younger than Cole by a few years, she was still definitely above to curve for people running around on Spirit's Night asking for candies and tricks.

"You know, she's really too old to be used as our excuse anymore," Erika mused softly, picking things at the ends of her skirt. "Most people quit running around asking for treats at much younger ages."

"It's us, Eri," Ethan said, and for once it was his turn to raise his eyebrows. "Do you really think people were ever fooled?" His grin only widened as he watched her.

He sleeps alone,
That they're just ghosts
And I don't know
Let it be known
That I was worthy,
I was worthy,
I was worthy,
I was..
Skeetzybug
Master Veteran
Master Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Skeetzybug » 10/12/2015 2:39 AM

"...fair," she sighed, adjusting her glasses as she shook her head. "Now then, are we finally ready?"

"YEP," Ethan said, bobbing his head eagerly. "I found the eyepatches!" He slung one over his own eye, completing the pirate appearance, then tossed one to Cole, who quickly became a one-eyed werewolf. They both looked expectantly at Erika.

"No." she shot them down with a straight face, turning and exiting the house despite their objections. Oh, she'd probably give in before the night was up, sure, but not before she made them work for it. She didn't eyepatch-up for just anything, after all.

He sleeps alone,
That they're just ghosts
And I don't know
Let it be known
That I was worthy,
I was worthy,
I was worthy,
I was..
Skeetzybug
Master Veteran
Master Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Skeetzybug » 10/12/2015 2:40 AM

The crowds were already out and about in Den Raven. Erika could see lanterns hanging from buildings and branches alike, lighting the pathways along the small ocean-side town. A few stalls were visible in the distance, down in the town square. The local crafters were all there, no doubt, putting specials things together for the festivities. They might've been a little place, old and forgotten, but if there was one thing Erika had learned in all her time here, it was that the life here had a certain spark. It showed at this time of year more than any other.

They followed the cobbled pathway downward, getting closer to the center of town, until they reached their destination. Cole eagerly hopped up the doorstep of his old home, tapping on the door in his own special way. There was a flurry of noise inside, and the door burst open. Winter stood in the doorway, mouth wide in a toothy grin.

He sleeps alone,
That they're just ghosts
And I don't know
Let it be known
That I was worthy,
I was worthy,
I was worthy,
I was..
Skeetzybug
Master Veteran
Master Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Skeetzybug » 10/12/2015 2:41 AM

"Eeeyyyy, slowpokes!" she chirped, eyes bright as her costume. "About time. I was starting to think I'd have to go on my own for once!" Erika couldn't quite tell what she was - something with a lot of feathers and more colors than she cared to name - but she'd stopped asking that question after three years ago's festival, really.

"Hey yourself, shortstack!" Ethan replied, giving her hair a ruffle as she stepped out. "Ready to go cause some trouble?"

"As ever!" she responded, bouncing up and down a second before stopping abruptly. "And just so you know, I'm taller than Cole now!" Ethan feigned disbelief, and the two quickly got into a back-and-forth about her height. They could have gone on all night, Erika was sure, if not for another person joining them from the house.

He sleeps alone,
That they're just ghosts
And I don't know
Let it be known
That I was worthy,
I was worthy,
I was worthy,
I was..
Skeetzybug
Master Veteran
Master Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Skeetzybug » 10/12/2015 2:42 AM

"Oh, don't you all look lovely this year?" Cole's mother, Aryll, was always kind and warm. It was just the kind of mother she was, as she looked over her kids with caring eyes that matched her son's to a tee. If it was up to her, they would ALL be her kids - and they kind of were, really. "Now be safe out there, okay?"

"Yes, ma'am!" they all chimed, nearly in unison. There wasn't any real danger to be had, not in town, but each and every one of them knew better than to ever contradict Mrs. Lestari. She was a force and a half to be reckoned with. She nodded approvingly, pausing to give a forehead kiss to both her children.

"All right then," she said, ushering them outwards. "Go on. Have a good time tonight!" She waved them off, and even as she turned away Erika was sure she was watching them move down the path for a moment before shutting the door and going back to her business.  Just the kind of mother she was, indeed.

He sleeps alone,
That they're just ghosts
And I don't know
Let it be known
That I was worthy,
I was worthy,
I was worthy,
I was..
Skeetzybug
Master Veteran
Master Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Skeetzybug » 10/12/2015 2:43 AM

The group continued on their way, stopping at a few familiar places in the town to collect treats. They got the usual smiles and friendly rolled eyes from those that were familiar with the hodgepodge of a group, along with the yearly comment about how they were too old for this. It was probably never going to stop them, though - or, well. It would never stop Ethan, that was for sure. Probably not Cole either, and like hell she was going to let them go around without her to keep an eye on them. That was that.

They followed a path back towards the outside of town, this time towards the ocean itself. After a particularly steep uphill climb, they reached a small cottage, attached to a building from which heat and smoke bellowed. A blacksmith's, of all places. It was Ethan who lead the charge to this one, slamming his hand against the door. He never really did anything quiet, or delicately, really. It was a special part of his.. charm.

He sleeps alone,
That they're just ghosts
And I don't know
Let it be known
That I was worthy,
I was worthy,
I was worthy,
I was..
Skeetzybug
Master Veteran
Master Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Skeetzybug » 10/12/2015 2:43 AM

The door creaked open, and the face inside lit up immediately at the sight of them. It was someone older, definitely closer to Aryll's age than their own, but their excitement was none the lesser.

"There you kids are!" Runeric chuckled, reaching out to bump his fist against the nearest one of them. "I was beginning to wonder if you'd given up on this tradition."

"No way," Cole piped up from the back, a grin of his own now. "We never give up." Rune laughed at the response, nodding with approval.

"That's my favorite wolfie nephew!" he said, still chuckling. "Come on in - we've got something special for you all this year." He motioned with his hand for them to come in, and they eagerly followed into the warmth of the building. The inside was organized in its own special way, with tinges of chaos here and there that no doubt came from the other occupant. They stood and talked for a moment, catching up on the night's events before Rune ducked into another room. "Oi!! The kids are here, move your ass!" A muffled voice answered, and Rune sighed in a way that felt very familiar to Erika as something loud and metallic clanged in the background. "One second kids, I'll fetch them."

He sleeps alone,
That they're just ghosts
And I don't know
Let it be known
That I was worthy,
I was worthy,
I was worthy,
I was..
Skeetzybug
Master Veteran
Master Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Skeetzybug » 10/12/2015 2:44 AM

After a few moments, he returned to the room, another man following behind. Flashing a grin and wiping soot of his hands, Deryck waved to the crew. All of them were fond of Cole's uncles, but it was Ethan and Cole himself who immediately waved back.

"Hey kiddies. Nice eyepatches," he commented, high-fiving Ethan on the way past. "Don't you have one, Erika?" Ethan immediately turned to give Erika a smug grin, and she groaned in response.

"Here we are. Been working on this all month for you lot." He peered around at them, still wearing a small grin. "You better like them, you hear?" From the box, he procured four fine chains, hanging from which were four different metal pendents. Eyes sharp with detail as they were, Erika immediately recognized it as Rune's personal metalwork.

He sleeps alone,
That they're just ghosts
And I don't know
Let it be known
That I was worthy,
I was worthy,
I was worthy,
I was..
Skeetzybug
Master Veteran
Master Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Skeetzybug » 10/12/2015 2:44 AM

"Woah!" Cole and Winter exclaimed in unison, both crowding around them. Rune lifted them up quickly, laughing again.

"Careful, there!" he warned, smiling warmly at them. "You don't want to break them."

"Did you make those, uncle Rune?" Winter asked, tilting her head with curiosity. He nodded.

"The pendants were my work, yes - your other uncle did the chain." He gestured to where the other man stood beside him. "I'm not quite that delicate yet, I'm afraid." Deryck snickered, and was rewarded with a swift elbow to the ribs. Yep - this was all so very familiar to Erika, and she gave Ethan an obvious look. He pretended to ignore it.

He sleeps alone,
That they're just ghosts
And I don't know
Let it be known
That I was worthy,
I was worthy,
I was worthy,
I was..
Skeetzybug
Master Veteran
Master Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Skeetzybug » 10/12/2015 2:46 AM

"There's one for each of you," Rune continued, separating the necklaces out one by one and handing them to the intended person. "For you, Winter, a snowflake. Be careful with it, a few of the edges might still be a little sharp, okay?" She nodded eagerly, stringing it around her neck and immediately getting it tangled in the feathers of her outfit. Rune looked like he was trying hard not to react, poor thing. "Cole, yours is a flame. A sort of play-on-name, yeah? Like, coal from a fireplace? ...I thought it was cute, alright." Cole took it, wide-eyed, and held it gently in his hands. Erika was sure he'd take perfect care of it.

"Ethan, yours is a compass. I'm not sure how long it will look like that, considering, but for now it's great." Ethan retrieved his with a grin, also putting it on right away.

"Hell yeahhhh, this totally completes my look, doesn't it?" he asked, striking a pose and flexing his muscles. She had a feeling he wasn't going to shut up about this costume any time soon.

He sleeps alone,
That they're just ghosts
And I don't know
Let it be known
That I was worthy,
I was worthy,
I was worthy,
I was..
Skeetzybug
Master Veteran
Master Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Skeetzybug » 10/12/2015 2:46 AM

"Very handsome," Rune agreed, clapping him on the shoulder, before reaching out to Erika with the last pendent in hand. "And for you, a butterfly. I wasn't sure about it at first - but I'm pretty sure now that I hit the nail on the head." He smiled softly again as he looked over her festival fae attire, complete with sparkling butterfly wings on the back. She nodded thankfully, unsure of how quite to answer.

"Now I know people usually hand out cheap trinkets and candies during this festival, but Deryck and I wanted to do something special," he clarified. "You kids take good care of those, you hear? Otherwise I'll have to come and cuff some ears." They all chimed their own thanks and agreement, and Rune continued to grin.

He sleeps alone,
That they're just ghosts
And I don't know
Let it be known
That I was worthy,
I was worthy,
I was worthy,
I was..
Skeetzybug
Master Veteran
Master Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Skeetzybug » 10/12/2015 2:47 AM

"Okay then," it was Deryck's turn to speak, and he raised his hands at them. "It's about time you guys got going! You don't want to miss out on all the festivities, especially since I've heard that this year's festival is going to be EXTRA good." He leaned forward, a special sparkle in his eye. "And I'm always right, you know." Echoing thanks again, the group gathered up, and finally headed out, Rune leaving each one with a hug.

"Remember, have fun!" he called out as they left down the path again, and they all called back. The rest of the night passed with much less event, but no less fun. The moon rose and the stars shone, and the group stayed out until the night was old. Finally, as the last of the lanterns were beginning to flicker out, exhaustion began to win out over excitement, and they went on their own ways. The trio said farewell to Winter as she returned home, and they continued on, speaking happily to each other on the path. They settled in together, bundled in blankets and warm drinks in hand, as the first rays of sunlight began to crest over the horizon, and together, they were at peace.

"You know," Ethan commented, shifting to look at Erika from where he had his arm slung over Cole's shoulder. "You really do look good in an eyepatch."

"Don't ruin the moment, Ethan."

It really was one night to remember.

He sleeps alone,
That they're just ghosts
And I don't know
Let it be known
That I was worthy,
I was worthy,
I was worthy,