A city of white and silver, doctors from all over the world come to converge here and find work. Hospitals of all kinds decorate the white walkways of the city. There are many notable ones you can visit if your pet is in need of some attention. (+3 Precision)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Medicai City

[27] [20] [12]

Postby Jaykobell » 08/17/2011 11:51 PM

"This is a poster with all the constellations." Talbot put a hand over the poster and tapped it a few times. "I don't think I need to tell you there's twelve zodiac signs." He sat back down into his chair and leaned forward, his elbows on the desk and his intertwined hands holding his head. "Basically, someone thought making parasites based on the zodiac would be amazing and interesting. They started experimenting with different parasites, and in order to watch them grow, they used human bodies."

"Parasites after the zodiac?" What a strange, surreal idea. Why would someone try something so ridiculous? Parasites were deadly enough as they were, no one needed to make them even more deadly. "They used bodies to grow them...?" Talbot had only just begun the story, but right from the beginning, it was hard to believe.

"Yeah, pretty much. Thing is, the thing quickly became pathogenic. It would grow fine for a while, and then it would completely turn against the host. So basically, they had to find countless bodies to continue harvesting the things. And keep in mind the zodiac at twelve signs, so we can imagine there's twelve different parasites out there." Creating and developing one would be plenty, but someone out there thought twelve of them would prove more entertaining. Of course, you couldn't expect those people to really think logically. "At some point, they realized the human body was the problem. Since they were combining two living things together, they couldn't mix. So they started hosting the parasites in newly-deceased bodies." Corpses would've been more appropriate, but the fact they were freshly deceased was an important factor. "Basically... by giving the parasite complete control over the body, it managed to take it over entirely; including giving the body a personality and, ultimately, a soul and mind of its own. After a lot of trial and error, of course. And ultimately, we're the results of that surreal research." By now, the doctor had his legs crossed and his chair slightly leaning backwards. He was talking as if he'd been researching the topic for a while, and it felt like the doctor did know what he was talking about.

"Wait, we?"
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Keystones: 4511
Donate

[28] [20] [13]

Postby Jaykobell » 08/18/2011 8:43 PM

Talbot stopped talking and stared when Paxton asked about the use of the pronoun "we." The red-haired doctor laughed again and straightened his chair. "Doctor, are you serious? You haven't caught on?" Talbot could tell that Paxton, while being fairly talented and intelligent, had a certain naivety to him.

"How was I supposed to guess?" Paxton replied curtly, narrowing his eyes at that ridiculous doctor. If he, at least, wouldn't make a big deal out of everything he would say, perhaps Talbot would be more tolerable. "You could've rubbed something on my skin, or you could've injected something to paralyze me. How was I supposed to catch on to anything?"

Talbot raised his hands to his chest defensively. "Hold on, doctor, hold on. No need to get edgy." Again, he thought it was something ingrained. A bit like how humans could recognize that dogs weren't the same species, Talbot had figured the parasite hosts would be able to recognize each other; maybe they would all get a certain hunch. "That's the only reason why I wanted to see you the moment I saw you there. I didn't think anything of you in particular at first; you really looked like a regular surgeon, you know? But then I heard you had an ability like no other, and that your hospital had even fired you? Not only that, they think you're a threat to society? That was the funniest part! But at that point, I was sure. I was sure you were just like me."

Paxton didn't know whether he was supposed to be insulted at the doctor's honesty, or just baffled. "I... suppose." He had nothing to reply to something like that. However, the idea of meeting someone like him did intrigue him. If anything, it relieved him. "Which sign are you, then? Enough about me."
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

[29] [20] [14]

Postby Jaykobell » 08/18/2011 10:36 PM

Talbot scoffed at the doctor's question and grinned. "I am the scorpion, Scorpio!" the doctor announced, stretching out both arms as if he were inviting the doctor over to him. "See, every parasite grants different powers. I don't know a lot about that, honestly, since it's hard enough to meet a host, let alone experiment on them somehow." Not everyone was so enthusiastic about going under the knife for the sake of research. It could be taxing, and since nothing was known about those parasites, Talbot couldn't promise they would ever wake up if something went wrong. "However, I do know some basics about them! I know a lot more about my own, though, of course. See, Scorpio lets the host develop special glands somewhere in the body." He pointed at his throat as he said that. "Mine happen to be here. Depending where your parasite is, the glands grow at a different location. Mine are located in my throat, so I can actually breathe different toxins into the air." He leaned back in his hair and put his feet on his desk, crossed nonchalantly. "That's how I got you. By breathing those toxins, or if they even touch your bare skin, they immediately attack your brain and make your body react accordingly."

"Is that why you keep getting so close to everyone?" A rather creepy way of doing things, but the target was probably so baffled and uncomfortable from Talbot's move that they probably didn't think anything of it beyond that. "How long does this thing last?"

Talbot blinked at the doctor's harsh replies. He hadn't expected the doctor to be so... uptight. "Doctor, aren't you intrigued by the whole thing?" Talbot inquired, genuinely curious as to why Paxton didn't sound or look interested in his research at all. "We are a unique breed out there. Don't you find that intriguing?"

Paxton sighed irritably, getting obviously agitated and upset. "Look. If you know what's been happening, you know I just got fired, threatened, and chased. That I jumped down a cliff, that I had to carry Amaury all the way here, to this city." His voice got slightly louder as he went on. "Just treat Amaury's injury and then maybe we'll talk."
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

[30] [20] [15]

Postby Jaykobell » 08/18/2011 10:50 PM

Talbot tilted his head at the doctor, his face showing a genuine expression of disappointment. "Well, you're unexpectedly disappointing," he said out-loud, shaking his head and sighing. "I'd heard you were a pretty cool guy, so I was expecting some interest." After all, how often would Talbot get to meet another one? Humans hosting deadly parasites based on the zodiac signs weren't all that common.

Paxton started groaning, and his eyes narrowed some more out of impatience. "In theory, it's interesting. Right now, I'm concerned about something else. You said you would treat us, so do that. Maybe we can talk after that." How stubborn could this doctor be? This whole thing was giving Paxton a terrible headache. Where was Amaury? The nurse still hadn't come back, and considering how Talbot could paralyze people so easily, the doctor got even more insecure for their safety.

Talbot sighed, highly disappointed in their conversation. "I figured maybe you'd take interest in it," he admitted, getting up to sit on his desk again. It seemed to be a nervous habit of his to be constantly moving around while he was either sitting or talking. "Sure, I'll treat you two. The nurse should be back soon with your little puppy dog."

Paxton sighed at the way Talbot kept on calling Amaury, but he figured he should be grateful the doctor had dropped the subject. It was also good to know Amaury would be back soon with that nurse. He would feel better once the male nurse would be back in the office.
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

Previous