A city of white and silver, doctors from all over the world come to converge here and find work. Hospitals of all kinds decorate the white walkways of the city. There are many notable ones you can visit if your pet is in need of some attention. (+3 Precision)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Medicai City

.::Techo Babble::. [P]

Postby Middy » 09/27/2011 6:23 PM

It wasn't like him to be outside his lab, but being without much sleep for weeks working almost nonstop on his inventions was starting to wear him down to his limit. Vainglory yawned, shoving his goggles off his face to rest on his head instead. He had noticeable dark circles under his eyes and some scruff left on his face from not shaving every day like he usually did.

He shoved one hand in the pocket of his labcoat and took a look at his wrist-watch that sad on a wire and gear clad gauntlet. 8:15PM. It was late, and he still didn't find any relief from the stresses of work. He really just wanted to forget it all and collapse into slumber but his mind wouldn't shut off. He pinched the bridge of his nose and sat on a park bench exhausted. He reached for one of the vials on his belt and popped the cork off the top. This would just keep me awake... a shame for the addictive properties... his grumbled and tossed the vial on the ground in anger, hearing the shatter on the glass against pavement.

Not tonight, he needed sleep before madness took him over. It was close to his breaking point, and he could feel the first onset of sleep deprivation. Irritability, tiredness, slight memory loss... it would get worse. If only he could find something to get his mind off work.
Middy
Well-Traveled Trainer
Well-Traveled Trainer
Pets | Items
Keystones: 10
Donate

Re: .::Techo Babble::. [P]

Postby Kitsumi » 09/28/2011 1:09 AM

Stomach rumbling in hunger, I'lanae tried to remember the last time she had eaten, only to realize that she couldn't exactly remember. Of course, this wasn't a new feeling for her at all; in fact, far from it. She was used to going a day or two, sometimes even up to five days without eating. Yes, it weakened her considerably, but she couldn't help it. It's not like she had the keystones to pay for food, and it took her a while to find the right type of person to pinch a bit from.

For some odd reason, she found herself in Medicai City, a place that had always seemed rather boring to her. Now that she was here, of course, she realized that perhaps some of the people who spent time here would be wealthy. It was better picking than the slums, at least, and that was something to be thankful for. Ha, as if I'lanae was thankful for anything.

Thanks a bunch, mother, dearest, I'lanae thought scornfully. For leaving me on my own and making me fend for myself.

Her legs were beginning to get a bit shaky, a side-effect of her near anorexic eating habits. There was only one bench nearby, and a man was already sitting there, looking exhausted. I'lanae hated being near people, especially the smart-looking ones. Still, it was either sit by him or collapse in front of him. So, vowing that she would scrounge up some food as soon as she found her strength, I'lanae walked over. Her eyes on the ground, she said quietly, "Mind if I sit here?"

{1-1}

like sunlight shining through the leaves
we are beautiful
enlightened
soul

Pen :: Wishlist ::Breeders :: Docs :: Rentals :: Journal
Kitsumi
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Keystones: 7109
Donate

Postby Middy » 10/05/2011 4:39 PM

Vainglory sighed and scooted over on the bench lazily replying, "I don't mind," he rubbed his eyes again and yawned. Usually he would be more direct in speaking, but his reply seemed to suffice anyway. He did take the time to notice the woman by him seemed malnourished, as if she had been eating rather poorly. On the outside they both seemed to be two people who lacked a major necessity in life. Hers seemed like food, and him, lack of sleep.

He tilted his head forward, almost nodding off to sleep but quickly snapped himself awake once more. He couldn't sleep in public, and obviously not when he was next to a stranger! He sat silently, feeling that the situation was a bit awkward. Normal people would strike up a conversation right?

"You from around here?" Vainglory found himself saying after a brief awkward silence, it must have been the sleep deprivation. Normally he would have remained silent, drowned in his own thoughts. But it was those same thoughts that had been tormenting him and keeping him from proper rest. His mind was tired, he was tired, at this point being himself seemed so hard to retain.
Middy
Well-Traveled Trainer
Well-Traveled Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Kitsumi » 10/05/2011 5:07 PM

Once she had been given his approval, I'lanae didn't hesitate to sit, glad to finally be able to do so. "Thank you," she murmured, her words spoken so softly that they were almost lost. Her arms automatically crossed over her chest in a defensive gesture, a habit that she had developed after quite a few years of having to fend for herself on the streets. The man beside her seemed tired, and I'lanae turned her head, trying not to notice.

She noticed the man beside her nearly falling asleep, and I'lanae wondered if she should say or do something to wake him. After all, she would want someone to wake her if she fell asleep on a bench. She knew what sorts of things could happen when you were unaware of your surroundings, and being asleep was the most "unaware" you could possibly become, she was sure. Other than passed out, perhaps; when you were sleeping, you could always wake up, but when you were passed out, it was much harder.

Apparently the male knew the dangers as well, as he jolted himself back awake. For a moment, there was silence, neither of them saying a word. It was a bit stifling and uncomfortable, but silence was what I'lanae knew and loved, and so she wasn't intent on breaking it. The man, however, had other ideas.

"You from around here?"

His question brought a chuckle from I'lanae. It wasn't a happy chuckle, but no one would have heard the spite hidden within it unless they either knew I'lanae well or were very perceptive. "I'm not really from anywhere." She said. "At least, I don't consider anyplace my home. I'm actually kinda...looking for someone, traveling wherever my leads take me. Although I'm currently taking a slight break." Knowing that it would be rude to simply end the conversation there, she grudgingly added, "How about you?"

{1-2}

we are beautiful
enlightened
soul

Kitsumi
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Middy » 10/05/2011 6:03 PM

"Where am I from? ... Well, I live here in the city. As to where I am originally from well, that is really something I don't share," it was true enough, he didn't want to say where he came from, and certainly not to someone he just met. Heck, even those who know him well (even if they were few) never were told either.

He took another glance at the woman, she seemed on the defense, and he got a bit of a feeling that she wasn't the most friendly person. Although he felt a little bad about her state of health. She could probably sympathize with him in some way.

Now hunger was taking him as well, as if anything else couldn't go wrong. He got up from the bench and stretched out, should he just use one of his nutrition caplets or actually have some real food for a change? When was the last time he ate something that he didn't create in the lab?

He was about to just walk away without another word, but the thought that the girl he met was more then likely starving kept nagging at him. Even if she didn't seem nice, maybe that was just the low blood sugar and hunger pains talking. It was worth an offer right? He had disposable income, especially for real food.

"Hey... I am heading out to get some real food... um, would you like to come with?" he kicked a pebble on the sidewalk feeling nervous with his words, "It's okay if you say no," Vain prepared for any reply he was about to receive.
Middy
Well-Traveled Trainer
Well-Traveled Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Kitsumi » 10/05/2011 7:21 PM

I'lanae nodded as his answer. "I can agree with that, trust me. The one place that I ever called 'home' is now a place of horrible memories. And even if it weren't, I still wouldn't speak of it. In my opinion, no one needs to know about my past. If they want to know me, which they usually don't, as I'm a bit rough around the edges, they can get to know me as I am now, not as I was."

Yes, she was babbling. It was the hunger, she was sure of it. It made her dizzy, woozy, and not quite herself. In fact, she felt about willing to do anything for a good meal, were the chance to come. At this point, she would sell her soul to fill her belly.

At his offer, I'lanae's head, which had been hanging down as she stared at her sneakered feet, jerked up so she could look at him. "I...I'd like to," she said quietly. "But I've currently...erm, lost, all of my remaining keystones. So I can't exactly pay for a meal at the moment." She sighed, as her stomach growled in protest of her answer. "Thanks for the offer, though."

{1-3}

we are beautiful
enlightened
soul

Kitsumi
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Middy » 10/14/2011 6:28 PM

Vainglory nodded while listening to her story, thinking back on his own life and the hardships that carried with it. Back on his home, he had to work hard to stay in a place with shelter and fight for food until he was finally taken in by an organization that offered him a deal... he shut his eyes tightly trying to forget it and focus on what was going on at the moment. The girl, his offer... yes that is where his thoughts should go. Not dwelling, no, not again.

Vain chuckled and held out his hand to her with a crooked but weak smile, "It's okay, I will be willing to pay for the both of us. I do make enough money for that, as a scientist and all.." he could really tell that the girl was starving now, he could hear her body screaming for nutrients and the possibility that she wouldn't be able to stand on her own two feet much longer.

He did his best to look friendly, and was also beginning to get a bit curious about her. What was her name even? The thought struck him fast, with a shaky voice he asked, "I never caught your name," he scratched the back of his head and then adjusted his glasses firmly on his face, "My name is Vainglory Clayworth."
Middy
Well-Traveled Trainer
Well-Traveled Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Kitsumi » 10/15/2011 12:52 AM

It was obvious that I'lanae's story had triggered some sort of memory from the other man's past. She watched as his eyes glazed over in thought, and then closed. He seemed to be trying to focus on their conversation, and not the memory.

"Oh, I couldn't ask you to do that," I'lanae said, but her stomach contradicted her. Even as she spoke, it gave out a loud rumble, one that was probably heard by the man as well. Blushing brightly, she giggled, trying to laugh it off and hoping that he wouldn't tease her or anything. "Ah, I suppose I could let you, since you offered so nicely." She smiled, something that was rare for her, as she took the offered hand a bit shyly. Standing on shaky legs, she bit her lip nervously. "So, umm...where were you planning on going?"

The mention of her name caused her to suddenly drop his hand, which for some reason she had still been holding, and bite her lip harder, so much so that it almost drew blood. "I...erm..." She honestly didn't know what to say. She wasn't really used to talking to people, and when she did, she never really told them her true name. "Call me Forsaken," she said, using the fake name she had grown accustomed to. Then, on a second thought, she said, "Actually, forget that. My name's I'lanae. I suppose that if you're buying me food, I owe you the satisfaction of being given a true name, not a fake one."

{1-4}

we are beautiful
enlightened
soul

Kitsumi
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate