A city of white and silver, doctors from all over the world come to converge here and find work. Hospitals of all kinds decorate the white walkways of the city. There are many notable ones you can visit if your pet is in need of some attention. (+3 Precision)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Medicai City

Re: We're All Just Cynics Come Undone [Self; M]

Postby zapdragon555 » 02/22/2015 3:51 PM

Cyril lay her down in the grass near the bank of the pond. The black swan turned its attention towards the movement, swiveling its arched neck around to study Mildred’s figure on the ground. Cyril straightened up, wiping a hand on his suit and studying the red streaks on his hand thoughtfully. Mildred suddenly took a breath on the ground, and he looked down at her. She would be awake in a few minutes; he certainly had been cutting it close. Silently, he took a few steps backwards, then turned on his heel and disappeared into the shadows of the trees. And still, the light from Griffin’s shed flickered on and off eerily, and that was the first thing Mildred saw when she opened her eyes.

Her head was pounding, sending throbs of pain down her back and arms. She lay there motionless as she waited for her vision to return to normal; right now everything was blurred and twisted, and she found it much easier to focus on the pain than the dark reflections on the water beside her. Yes, that was water, wasn’t it? She was... she was outside. Slowly memories came trickling back to her. She’d gone outside to tend to the hedges on the east side of the house. She’d gone to get the hedge clippers from the toolshed, and... she’d seen Master Griffin there. Yes, so... why was she lying on the ground?

But there will come a time
You'll see, with no more tears
And love will not break your heart
But dismiss your fears
Get over your hill and see
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

"Tomorrow will be a good day."

Pen | New Pen | Breed | Wish | Sales | Art | Imp. | Add-ons

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Keystones: 485
Donate
Location: "I mean... for me, I could love someone even if I, you know, wasn't paid for it...

Postby zapdragon555 » 02/22/2015 3:53 PM

As if in answer to her thoughts, that moody, enormous black bird honked loudly at her, looming beside her like the shadow she so often compared it to. Her head throbbed again, and she touched her temple lightly with her fingers. It felt bruised, and a rather large one at that. She tried to put the pieces of the puzzle together. Something had hit her, suddenly. The swan was infamous for attacking certain servants, though Mildred had never had a problem with it... until now, she figured, leering at it. “You’re a very bad bird,” she muttered, and the swan angled its head around to preen itself. With a groan, Mildred sat up, brushing grass off her dress.

She looked back at the flickering light of the tool shed. “Mm... is Master Griffin still awake? It’s awfully late...” she mused to herself. Perhaps she would check on him. She had few qualms to him staying out as late as he wanted, but... at the same time, she knew he needed sleep. He looked ever so tired as of late, almost perpetually. She’d just take a peek inside, as to not disturb him.

Carefully, she got to her feet, head still spinning. It was considerably better now, however. Gathering her skirts about her and carefully stepping around the muddy areas on the bank, she made her way over to the shed and was surprised to find the door cracked open slightly. An unstable light shone forth, and she leaned close to the door. “Master Griffin?” she called softly, hands folded in front of her. “Please excuse me, but I feel you should probably retire for the day,” she said, then waited for a reply. She blinked when none came, and she called again, a bit louder. “Master Griffin? Hello?”

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate
Location: "I mean... for me, I could love someone even if I, you know, wasn't paid for it...

Postby zapdragon555 » 02/22/2015 3:55 PM

Nothing. No stirring came from inside, either. Her first thought was that he’d already gone back up to the mansion and had forgotten to turn off the light. But there were several things wrong with that thought. One, Griffin would never be so forgetful. Two, surely he would’ve noticed her lying on the bank and had tried to rouse her-- wouldn’t he have? Perhaps she was expecting too much-- and three... something, something she couldn’t quite put her finger on, felt very, very wrong.

So wrong, in fact, that she pushed the squeaky wooden door open to reveal a sight she was sure nothing would have or could have prepared her for. She simply stood there in the doorway for an immeasurable amount of time, the crippling silence around her interrupted by a single cry of anguish. Her hands flew to her mouth and her knees buckled beneath her, until she had to support herself on the wall of the shed, shaking like a leaf.

Griffin was dead.

How could Griffin be dead?

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Previous