A city of white and silver, doctors from all over the world come to converge here and find work. Hospitals of all kinds decorate the white walkways of the city. There are many notable ones you can visit if your pet is in need of some attention. (+3 Precision)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Medicai City

Fiddly Little Mechanisms [P]

Postby Indigo » 04/10/2015 2:00 AM

The Printing Press occupied a small squat building, with large windows and a sign on the front printed by the press itself, presumably imbued with some arcane principles or other. The front, as far as Caroline remembered anyway, was a warmly lit room mostly occupied by a long counter, and a few copies of things the press had produced recently, at their command or otherwise. Mostly it had been books the last time she checked.

She hadn't been out to the front room for nearly a week, however. A friend of hers had been evicted from their workshop, and as a result had been forced to abandon the large robot they were in the middle of building, so they'd dropped it off for Caroline on a hunch that she'd enjoy finishing it. And, as expected, they were entirely correct. She was mainly aware of the passage of time by the need to light a candle every so often; also, roughly every twenty-four hours Brent would roll a couple oranges through the door to keep her sustained. She hummed tunelessly while she worked, loud enough to carry through the entire shop.

She was vaguely aware that Brent had gone out at some point, and hadn't yet heard the bell ring to indicate the front door opening, so presumably Brent had not returned. This was something of a worry, since there was no one around to man the desk, and were a customer to arrive she would have to handle it herself. But she got the impression things hadn't been very busy lately, based on the number of bell rings she'd been hearing as she worked, so she wasn't too concerned.
Indigo
Well-Traveled Trainer
Well-Traveled Trainer
Pets | Items
Keystones: 329
Donate

Re: Fiddly Little Mechanisms [P]

Postby SpringsSong » 04/10/2015 7:25 PM

ImageImage
Viola Lisette Black -- Vincent Concerto White
Click for human/gijinka forms

"Viola, my dear, you must really get out more often," a stately voice said, followed by the clacking of a cane against the pavement of Medicai's streets.  The man whom the voice belonged to wore a top hat, an eye patch, and a loose blue shirt with black pants and a black coat.

"Perhaps not all of us are as eager to get out and see this new world, Vincent," a woman's voice said.  She wore a white dress with brown leather straps holding a portion of the skirt out of the way of her feet, gold-rimmed spectacles with a magnifying lens on the right side, and a clip with a lace fan and ice-blue feathers pinned in her long, white hair.  "Or, maybe, I was taking care of Tessa--"

"The girl's gotten more resilient since we showed up here, Viola," Vincent said with a chuckle.  "She can hold her own just fine--ah, here's that shop I heard about," he said, opening the door to the shop.
Maybe I'm foolish, maybe I'm blind
Thinking I can see through this to see what's behind
Got no way to prove it, so maybe I'm lying
Take a look in the mirror, what do you see
Can you see it clearer, or are you deceived in what you believe?
Don't ask my opinion, don't ask me to lie
Then beg for forgiveness for making you cry
'cause I'm no prophet or Messiah
You should go looking somewhere higher

I'm only human, I make mistakes
I'm only human, I do what I can
I'm only human, that's all it takes to put the blame on me

Don't put the blame on me

"Human", Rag'n'Bone Man

:.:Eternal Spring:.:Tome of Records:.:Spring's Wishlist:.:Eternal Spring Breeders:.:
SpringsSong
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Keystones: 5888
Donate

Postby Indigo » 04/20/2015 7:42 PM

She was perched inside the robot's torso when the little front door bell rang, and didn't really register it at first, busy tightening some uncooperative screws. It was only when she realized it hadn't been followed by Brent's footsteps that she made any move to do anything about it. She hopped down from the contraption and went out to the front room.

It was much as she remembered it, unsurprisingly; the press, though easily bored, couldn't make any changes to the building itself, and Brent was usually unwilling to follow its demands in that area. For one thing, many of them were physically impossible--Caroline thought she might have been able to manage a few of them, but hadn't said anything, since she had her own projects to attend to and was not terribly fond of such disruptions. The only change now from before was that there were slightly more posters than books.

She fluttered up to the counter and said, in a voice slightly raspy from disuse, "Welcome to the Printing Press. What can I help you with?"

What are you looking at?

Indigo
Well-Traveled Trainer
Well-Traveled Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby SpringsSong » 04/23/2015 5:08 PM

Both Viola and Vincent looked at the person that approached them, tilting their heads at each other when they heard her raspy voice.  However, after their initial shock, Viola nudged Vincent with her metal arm, at which point he winced.

"Ow!  What was that for?" he asked.

"Oh, for... you're the one who brought us out here," Viola said, turning to the woman.  "You'll have to forgive my cousin; he can be a little... thick, sometimes," she said with a slight chuckle.  "He said that he'd heard about a shop here in Medicai that would be a good place for us to acquire some spare parts for some of our projects," she said, indicating the gun holstered at her hip and her arm.  However, as she attempted to make a fist, her arm froze in place, and she sighed as she shook her head, adjusting her spectacles with her other hand.

"Well... parts for repairs, and parts for modifications, I should say," she said.

"Vi, why didn't you tell me your arm was starting to act up again?" Vincent asked calmly.

"Human", Rag'n'Bone Man

:.:Eternal Spring:.:Tome of Records:.:Spring's Wishlist:.:Eternal Spring Breeders:.:
SpringsSong
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Indigo » 06/11/2015 1:39 PM

"Spare parts," she repeated, mind already whizzing off in various directions--there were some things she could spare, yes, she didn't really have time for in-shop repairs anyway, what with all this robot business, and Brent would certainly be happy for anything to be sold in her absence given how rarely that happened. Her mental cataloging was interrupted, however, when the woman's arm seized up.

"Ooh! Pretty piece of engineering, there. Where did you get that done? Did you make it yourself?" Caroline leaned forward. Normally she tried to be conscientious about things like manners when talking to customers, given her lack of an instinct for that sort of thing and the need to not drive customers away, but all thought of such things vanished at the sight of an interesting device. She wasn't sure she'd have the right parts for something like that--her own machines were not usually designed to interface with flesh--but perhaps she could repurpose some things.

What are you looking at?

Indigo
Well-Traveled Trainer
Well-Traveled Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby SpringsSong » 06/26/2015 11:05 AM

"I didn't want to tell you because I know how you can fret, Vincent," Viola said before turning her attention to the other woman, who seemed clearly fascinated by her arm.  Giving a slight chuckle, she said, "It was mostly mine and my cousin's work, though I wish it hadn't been necessary."

"Ah, but you forget Archer's involvement in that project, Viola," Vincent said.  "After all, it would have been rather difficult for us to make a mechanical hand and a mechanical arm in the state that we were in.  Missing an arm and a hand can make doing anything a bit of a challenge."

"Human", Rag'n'Bone Man

SpringsSong
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Indigo » 07/04/2015 5:58 PM

"It's good work." She was further impressed by the knowledge that more than one person had worked on it; she'd never done well with collaboration, herself. Too many conflicting ideas. Though perhaps the necessity of it made it go more smoothly.

Caroline gestured toward the door behind the counter. "Would you like to come into the workshop? Might be easier to find whatever parts you need if you see them for yourself. Might have whatever tools you need to adjust that, too." She might have to pull some things out of the robot, but that would most likely be worth it. She could replace those, probably, whenever Brent got back.

What are you looking at?

Indigo
Well-Traveled Trainer
Well-Traveled Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate