A city of white and silver, doctors from all over the world come to converge here and find work. Hospitals of all kinds decorate the white walkways of the city. There are many notable ones you can visit if your pet is in need of some attention. (+3 Precision)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Medicai City

[C304][N197][MG69][MD66][ME43][MC52][D14]

Postby Jaykobell » 08/07/2017 8:19 PM

“Patient has been transferred to me due to his violent and aggressive behavior,” the first report wrote. “Patient is a young boy; behavioral problems are indeed present; the child is alone and has no adult accompanying him at first glance. Patient is brought here by ambulance further to injuries received at school; patient refused replacement therapy despite bleeding profusely. Attempts were made to hold the patient down by force to administer treatment; attempts were abandoned as patient is too aggressive and managed to inflict minor injuries to staff. Steps were taken to stop the bleeding; patient had to stay at the hospital for hours as there was no one available to come pick him up from the hospital. Father was contacted to come pick up the child, but communication is difficult; patient says there is no one else who can come for him besides his father.”

Her heart sank. She couldn't tell if she was relieved that she wasn't the only one who'd used forced with Neil; or if she felt even more guilty than before for doing the exact same thing that had happened to him as far as twenty years prior.

“Patient comes sporadically despite his severe hemophilia,” one of the reports started with. “Patient is complaining about a lot of pain; behavior is still wildly unpredictable and patient continues to refuse treatment. Tests were scheduled for the patient despite his disagreement; patient's father also denied the tests; patient was prescribed painkillers for the time being to try and control the pain.”
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Keystones: 4511
Donate

[C305][N197][MG69][MD66][ME43][MC52][D14]

Postby Jaykobell » 08/07/2017 8:21 PM

The nature of this one struck Cybele as odd. Starting with doctor Körbl, it looked like Marcel had been kept aware of Neil's condition, if with a lot of difficulty. It was hard for her to judge or understand; what she had seen of Marcel was a quiet, timid man who regretted his past decisions and who wanted to make it all right. Something like this, where the only available parent couldn't even be bothered to be available to pick up their child, and to deny tests ordered by a doctor: that was the picture of a neglectful parent.

Many of the reports were repetitive and rather standard. She skimmed through those ones, and she focused the most of her attention on the longer, more intricate ones.

“Patient was admitted after being a disturbance in class,” the next report started with. “The school requested an ambulance after the patient started complaining about excruciating pain and after he injured other students; we reached out to the father, but could not contact him; patient refused morphine and painkillers and will not cooperate; patient is under strict watch until his father can be reached. Patient is relatively calm as a result of exhaustion from the pain.”
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

[C306][N197][MG69][MD66][ME43][MC52][D14]

Postby Jaykobell » 08/07/2017 8:22 PM

Her heart ached the more she read. She could only imagine what it had been like, to watch a young child of that age crying and complaining about pain.

“Father was eventually contacted and it was suggested for the patient to stay overnight due to the pain; specific tests were also offered to try and find the cause of the patient's pain. Father once again refused medical help and advice offered.”

From the looks of the reports, had it not been for the school, Neil probably never would've ended up receiving the help he needed.

“Patient was brought in after complaints from the patient's school; school staff reported aggressive and violent behavior and temper tantrums. Patient is more agitated than before and is again complaining about pain; patient continues to refuse any sort of treatment.”
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

[C307][N197][MG69][MD66][ME43][MC52][D14]

Postby Jaykobell » 08/07/2017 8:23 PM

“Patient was approached by my intern in hematology, Martin Donato,” the report continued. “I have high hope the patient will calm down if Martin can build a certain level of trust; patient is wildly unpredictable and has started throwing objects at nurses and doctors. Martin was hit on the head, but managed to calm the patient down; patient seems more at ease when approached quietly and slowly.”

Although Martin had started getting involved, the reports were still written, signed and submitted by doctor Körbl.

“Patient continues to be brought in further to requests by the school; Martin has developed a connection with the child and has started earning his trust. Patient continues to complain about intolerable pain; patient has been referred to Murray Wolfgang in an attempt to diagnose the source of the pain despite inability to proceed with tests.”
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

[C308][N197][MG69][MD66][ME43][MC52][D14]

Postby Jaykobell » 08/07/2017 8:24 PM

Cybele remembered Martin saying that Murray knew Neil from his childhood, but it was still a surprise to see his name appear on the report. At least, this was the first one to show signs of hope, thanks to Martin being in the picture.

There was just the one report from Murray so far, and although it didn't reveal very much, Cybele couldn't help but to read it as well.

“Patient was referred by doctor Edgar Körbl further to multiple complaints of excruciating pain. Patient is uncooperative and unruly; examination lasted for hours in order to wait for the patient to calm down. Patient eventually calmed down and cooperated; hospital gown is irritable for him; the pain is concentrated by the joints; could be buildup from patient's untreated hemophilia. Tests are highly recommended as soon as possible to determine cause of patient's pain. Patient’s father has been contacted.”

Throughout all that, it was the detail about the hospital gown that got Cybele thinking. It was also unbearable to see so many mentions of tests to be carried out urgently and still no approval from Marcel.
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

[C309][N197][MG69][MD66][ME43][MC52][D14]

Postby Jaykobell » 08/07/2017 8:25 PM

The next report, again written by doctor Körbl, finally revealed why: “Patient confided in Martin his father does not have the money to pay for hospital bills and treatments. Awaiting further details from the father. The child's pain is not getting better and is preventing the child from going to school and sleeping regular nights.”

“Father is refusing to let the patient stay at the hospital despite the child's condition; father insists on the child being fine. Patient is dismissed from the hospital despite professional opinion that the child needs immediate attention and help.”

The reports were almost broken records of one another, except that they got further and further just a little bit every time.

The next couple of reports had Cybele holding her breath.
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

[C309][N197][MG69][MD66][ME43][MC52][D14]

Postby Jaykobell » 08/07/2017 8:27 PM

“Patient was brought in urgently after expressing suicidal threats in school. Patient is kept in the ICU for his own safety and kept on suicide watch. Despite previous refusal from both patient and patient's father, the child was given morphine for the pain; the father was contacted. Patient has been referred to Murray Wolfgang for the time being and cannot be supervised by Martin Donato due to the nature of the situation.”

“Father refuses to pay for ICU costs, tests and treatments for the patient. Patient continues to speak suicidal thoughts (i.e. ‘my father wants me gone’, ‘no one likes me’, ‘I want the pain to stop’) and is kept in the ICU for his safety. Father denies the statements spoken by the patient and attributes them to the child being ‘a rebellious teenager seeking attention’.”

“Patient is being monitored by Murray Wolfgang; as well as Martin Donato, despite the issued warning. Patient expressed distress over the situation; patient is gradually feeling safer with Murray and Martin but refuses to communicate with the rest of the hospital staff, including myself.”
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

[C310][N197][MG69][MD66][ME43][MC52][D14]

Postby Jaykobell » 08/07/2017 8:28 PM

It was one report after another; Cybele was so engrossed into their contents that she lost notion of everything else around her.

“An agreement has been reached with the patient and his father; treatment will be provided by and paid for by doctors Murray Wolfgang and Martin Donato. Tests have been scheduled to find the cause of the patient's pain.”

“Tests have revealed a dangerous buildup of blood on the patient's joints caused by severe hemophilia left untreated; replacement therapy is unavoidable and is scheduled to begin as soon as possible. Patient remains on suicide watch until further notice but will be assigned a regular room. Patient is expected to return home and to return to school shortly.”

That was the last report from doctor Körbl; after this one, the reports inside were mostly written by Martin, with a few occasional ones from Murray.
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

[C311][N197][MG69][MD66][ME43][MC52][D14]

Postby Jaykobell » 08/07/2017 8:29 PM

“First session of replacement therapy; Neil is uncooperative and expressed concerns over the needles and the medication. While difficult, he eventually agreed to take the treatment after being told it would stop the pain.”

All the other reports - even Murray's - referred to Neil simply as the “patient”; but Martin referred to him as “Neil”. It was almost like reading someone's diary more so than reading a professional medical report.

“Neil expressed anger towards the treatment; he is agitated and restless and doesn't understand why he needs to sit through replacement therapy. I have been reading books to him to help him understand his condition and to alleviate his fears over the treatment. Mental stimulation seems to help tremendously in administering the replacement therapy.”

“Helped Neil with his homework; he confided that his father is never available to help. He expressed concerns over his future and seems to have very low self-esteem; when I suggested he meet with a psychologist, he refused.”
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

[C312][N197][MG69][MD67][ME43][MC52][D14]

Postby Jaykobell » 08/07/2017 8:30 PM

The reports went on in that same fashion going forward. A few were written by Murray, most of them being either physicals or general follow up appointments; the rest were all written by Martin and basically built up the relationship he'd developed with Neil over the years.

Cybele had been so focused on the file that her heart stopped when she heard someone saying, “Hey, you're still here.”

“Ah!” She jumped a few feet out of her chair when she heard the voice, and she put a hand over her chest. “D-doctor Donato?”

He jumped a little himself from her getting startled. “Hey, sorry lassie; didn't realize you were so focused,” he apologized as he chuckled.

“N-no, don't worry about it,” she assured him. “I just didn't expect anybody to come by.”
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

[C313][N197][MG69][MD68][ME43][MC52][D14]

Postby Jaykobell » 08/07/2017 8:32 PM

He looked her over as she spoke, and then he asked, “You okay there, lassie?” When Cybele looked confused, he added, “You look like you've been crying. I mean; just now. You know?”

“Oh, I…” She rubbed her eyes with her sleeve to wipe the tears away. She'd realized her crying as she read the reports, but she hadn't paid much attention to it. “I was just… reading this,” she explained as she lifted the file just a little for Martin to see. “I didn't realize…” She stopped; subconsciously, she played with the papers inside the file. “I didn't realize it had been so bad for him.”

Martin put his arms on the desk and leaned forward on them, getting comfortable. “Takes you for a ride, don't it?”

She looked down at the file with sadness in her eyes. She wasn't quite done with it, but she'd learned the meat of the story. “Doctor Donato?” she asked, and when she got his attention, she added, “Can I ask you something?”
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

[C314][N197][MG69][MD69][ME43][MC52][D14]

Postby Jaykobell » 08/07/2017 8:33 PM

“Sure.”

“Why did you and doctor Wolfgang agree to pay for Neil's treatment?” Never mind the fact the two of them weren't related to Neil in any way; hospital bills remained extremely expensive.

Since she had read the file, she had hoped for Martin to open up; but as usual, the hematologist didn't really look interested in answering. “I mean,” he said quietly as he started rubbing the back of his neck, “I can't talk for Murray, you know, but for me…” He trailed off and hesitated for a moment. “I know what it's like, um… not to have parents,” he finally explained. “The reports don't really make that point come across, but Neil was miserable then. He was just a little guy… I couldn't stand seeing him cry. It wasn't his fault, you know? He was just a kid with a father that couldn't be bothered.”

“Oh,” was all Cybele managed to whisper at first. “That's so nice.” She smiled and looked up at the doctor. “He was so fortunate to have you and doctor Wolfgang care.”
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

[C315][N197][MG69][MD70][ME43][MC52][D14]

Postby Jaykobell » 08/07/2017 8:35 PM

Martin seemed embarrassed to hear that. “Heh, well, I did tell you Murray's a big softie,” he reminded her as he chuckled.

“By the way.” He interrupted the conversation by picking up something at his feet and handing it over to Cybele. “You didn't come by for it, so that's why I'm here,” he explained, “but I thought you might want it.”

She blinked and pulled the small bag Martin had just given her closer to take a peek inside. “Neil's prophylaxis?”

“Gotta admit I was scared you'd still decided against it, for a moment,” he teased, but when Cybele didn't deny or confirm it, he asked, “Er, you didn't, right?”

Cybele shook her head. “No, no, I didn't say anything to doctor Wolfgang,” she said, much to Martin's relief. “But, um… I don't think Neil wants to see me again,” she added, and she looked away before muttering, “Now or ever.”
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

[C316][N197][MG69][MD71][ME43][MC52][D14]

Postby Jaykobell » 08/07/2017 8:37 PM

Right: he remembered the conversation they had that morning. He tapped a finger on the desk as he gave the situation some thought. “You want me to come along tonight?” he offered.

Cybele looked up at him and blinked. “I'm sorry?”

“I mean, you need a lift anyway, right?” Martin continued. “I don't wanna step on your toes or anything; but if it makes you feel a bit more comfortable, I can tag along.”

His offer was a kind one for sure, but Cybele felt bad. “Are you sure?” she asked. “If you have anything else planned, I don't want to impose.”

Martin laughed and shook his head. “Nah, I don't have anything better to do. I'd be happy to see Neil again, too.”

Cybele still felt like she was imposing, but she would be lying if she said she wasn't grateful for Martin's offer. “I would really like that,” she admitted sheepishly, smiling timidly. “Thank you, doctor.”
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

[C317][N197][MG69][MD72][ME43][MC52][D14]

Postby Jaykobell » 08/07/2017 8:39 PM

“All right, well then; off we are on a little nighttime road trip,” he said as he got ready to leave; but he stopped for a minute. “Or should I say… a bloody road trip?” he corrected himself, and he chuckled. “Eh? Get it?” When Cybele didn't react to his humor, he turned around. “Well, anyway, come along lassie; we're off.”

Cybele packed her things, and the two of them left the hospital. She settled down into Martin's car, and with the day she'd had, she was out like a light almost right away. Martin noticed her dozing off in the passenger seat, and he let the poor girl catch a break. He lowered the radio, and he cruised along at a leisurely pace.

Within about twenty minutes, they had arrived at Neil's house. Martin turned the car off, and he shook Cybele lightly. “Cybele,” he called out, “we're here.”
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

PreviousNext