A city of white and silver, doctors from all over the world come to converge here and find work. Hospitals of all kinds decorate the white walkways of the city. There are many notable ones you can visit if your pet is in need of some attention. (+3 Precision)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Medicai City

[* Medical Interconnections [P] [L]

Postby Jaykobell » 04/12/2015 12:21 AM

She stepped out of the bus, doing her best not to bail out. She took a deep breath, the engine of the bus driving away, and with the overwhelming hospital looming nearby. She looked up at the establishment from the little bus cabin, and she mentally steeled herself to get going. It was early in the morning, almost at the break of dawn; barely anyone had been with her on the bus. Rush hour was a good hour away, and the streets were just starting to warm up from the night before.

Every little noise felt amplified as she walked up the small hill that lead to the hospital. She followed the sidewalk up the hill, taking deep breaths and trying to keep it all under control.

It was a short walk up the hill, and before long, she stood before the entrance to the small hospital. It was certainly small compared to bigger, more competitive hospitals in town, but to her, it looked like a mastodon. It was overwhelming, and although this wasn't her first time she'd gotten a job in her field as a nurse, it was still nerve-wracking. Today was her first day, and first impressions were everything.

With her small messenger bag over her shoulder, her hand gripping the strap tightly, she stepped inside the hospital.
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Keystones: 4511
Donate

[2]

Postby Jaykobell » 04/12/2015 12:27 AM

"Hi, I'm looking for doctor... Wolfgang?"

She'd asked for her employer — the head doctor of the hospital — at the reception desk, and the receptionist gave her a small, inviting smile as she dialled the doctor's extension on her phone. "Remind me your name?" she asked the young nurse as the phone rang in her ear.

"Oh," the blonde woman gasped quietly before quickly answering, "M-my name is Cybele. Cybele Rosemonde." In the split second the phone continued to ring, she added, "This is my first day."

"Thank you," the receptionist said, positioning the phone closer to her mouth as she waited for the other party to answer. "Doctor Wolfgang?" she spoke, and Cybele's heart started beating a bit faster at hearing the name of the head doctor. "The new nurse is here to see you for her first day. Thank you," she announced before putting the phone down. "It won't be long, miss Rosemonde. Please have a seat," she invited, motioning for Cybele to sit down while she waited for the doctor to come.

Cybele smiled timidly, showing a mouthful of teeth in her anxiety. "Thank you."
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

[3] [1]

Postby Jaykobell » 04/12/2015 12:36 AM

As Cybele sat down and waited for doctor Wolfgang to come down to meet her, she steeled herself for her first day. She was wearing her uniform, ready to work, even though her heart was beating overwhelmingly fast. She was still a young nurse, and she still had much to learn. While she knew her theory, she had to practice her job, in and of itself. This wasn't her first job as a nurse, but in her younger age, she couldn't even call herself a professional nurse yet.

The silence and the thoughts looping in her mind made time pass slowly. She kept telling herself to act confident, to give a strong handshake, to give short, precise answers; the likes. She had to give it her all to show she was worth this job, and that she was worth the investment. The field was definitely competitive, and while Cybele was confident she had potential as a nurse, that confidence had to be passed on to those who needed her here.

"Cybele Rosemonde?"
She nearly jumped out of her chair when her name was called, and she immediately turned to the voice. An older doctor, his hair much more salt than pepper, but looking fit and intimidating despite his slightly older age. His voice was a stern one, and a tone that instilled respect. That was precisely the reason why she'd jumped, especially considering her mind had been elsewhere.

"Y-yes," she replied, internally scolding herself for loosing her cool already. "A pleasure to see you again, doctor," she added, breathing, and offering a confident hand to the older doctor as a greeting. The doctor had been the one to interview her, and ultimately, he was the one who'd decided to hire her.

"Murray Wolfgang," he answered, taking her hand in his own, and from her perspective, his hand was swallowing her smaller hand whole. "Welcome to St. Lazare Hospital. It's a pleasure to welcome you here," he added, and while his words were genuine, his flat voice failed to really deliver the words' meaning.
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

[4] [2]

Postby Jaykobell » 04/12/2015 12:45 AM

"Let me show you where you'll be working," Murray offered, letting of Cybele's hand in order to turn around and start walking down the hospital halls.

"Yes, sir," the nurse answered, and she followed the doctor along. She initially had a hard time keeping up with him, with her mind being somewhat distracted by what was around her. Department names, supplies, patients, other nurses, other doctors; the busy atmosphere, the smells, the turns. There were many things to see and to remember, and she would have to get on with it. Memorizing the hospital was the first thing she would need to do if she wanted to be an efficient, productive nurse in her new job.

"Your doctor will show you around the hospital," Murray explained as they went down the halls, taking turns and sidestepping the ones already working so early in the morning. "I'm sure the ones from human resources already told you your schedule and the details of your job here?" he added, referring to those who had called Cybele back to congratulate her on getting the job.

"Yes, sir," she answered, her voice having gotten a bit more steady. She had no time to worry about details when she was already busy trying to keep up with the doctor.

"Good," he replied simply, and his voice sounded just a bit more satisfied, this time around. "All that's left is to introduce you to your assigned doctor," he added, taking a turn that took Cybele slightly by surprise. "You'll be helping the others when they need you, but you'll primarily be working for this doctor. Understood?"

"Yes, sir."
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

[5] [3]

Postby Jaykobell » 04/12/2015 12:53 AM

While they covered a few minor details concerning the job, the two medical workers said little as they continued to walk onward. Cybele was a little concerned, feeling like they'd been walking for some time.

Murray continued to lead Cybele onward, and they eventually passed through two large doors that lead to a slightly more modern, if smaller, area of the hospital. "You're pretty lucky," he pointed out, and he chuckled briefly. "We just renovated this part of the hospital. New equipment, new offices; it's all modern," he explained, and from the sterile, pristine looks of the halls alone, Cybele could tell this area of the hospital had just been renovated.

"We're here, lass," Murray said, and Cybele's heart started beating faster again. Her eyes immediately went to the name plate next to the office door: Doctor N. Endzela.

Murray knocked on the door. "Endzela?" he called behind the door, tilting his head in front of the frosted door window. "Open up!" Without giving the doctor a chance to answer or to open the door, the head doctor invited himself in, turning the knob and walking in.

Cybele breathed quietly behind him, following suit. She was holding her breath, wondering what kind of doctor she would be working for. Would he be a passionate man? Or perhaps it was a serious woman?

At first glance, however, there was no doctor in the office.
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

[6] [4]

Postby Jaykobell » 04/12/2015 12:58 AM

The office was a cozy place. It was a large square-shaped room that opened to a large, closed desk that acted as the secretary's desk; or in this case, what would probably be Cybele's new desk. By that desk was a large number of files, all marked and numbered, with their shelves spreading all across the large room. A large desk sat by the other side of the office, topped with hollow shelves that allowed for things to be displayed and stored onto them. While the majority were filed with papers, files and other office supplies, some of them were decorated with some personal trinkets. No doubt, they were a little personal touch from the doctor who worked here.

Another personal touch was the presence of a coat hanger that lived to its namesake, there being a light coat hanging from it. A bag was also sitting by its side, and unless the doctor had left their belongings overnight, they were clearly here, somewhere in the hospital.

"Where the hell is Endzela?" Murray groaned, mostly to himself, but it was still something that Cybele had managed to hear. "Give me a minute, miss Rosemonde," the head doctor asked, going to the back and around the large, tall desk on the side to reach the phone. Behind that large secretarial desk, even the tall head doctor didn't look quite as tall.
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

[7] [5]

Postby Jaykobell » 04/12/2015 1:04 AM

Cybele left Murray to the phone; she could only guess he was trying to find the missing doctor. While he waited for the other line to pick up, Cybele distracted herself with the office. It was a little messy, as expected, with papers and files spread around the desks. Only then did she notice the doors inside the office, which she assumed lead to consultation rooms for meeting with clients. It was a nice, cozy office. She'd experienced working in a larger, more open area before, but she could appreciate the closed space this offered.

"Hello, Martin?" Murray spoke on the phone, and Cybele couldn't help but to listen. "I have the new nurse here, and I'm missing my doctor," he explained, and his voice sounded a bit more emotional. "Where the hell is Endzela? I told him to be here on time!"

There was a pause as the other party answered the head doctor. Considering it was quiet in the office, Cybele got to hear some muffled sounds from the phone. While she couldn't make out the words, whatever they had been, they hadn't pleased Murray. "What the hell is he doing in the cafeteria?" came the reply from the head doctor, and now his voice was clearly getting agitated.

There was another pause as the other end replied, and Murray himself had a pause from hearing the response. His face contorted into a grimace, and he pulled the phone away from his ear and closer to his mouth, yelling in, "Breakfast can wait!"
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

[8] [6]

Postby Jaykobell » 04/12/2015 1:10 AM

Murray banged the phone down on the receiver loudly, and from that single action, Cybele could tell he was a man that she should avoid getting upset. Admittedly, he hadn't sworn a storm quite yet, but perhaps the head doctor had kept his language under control due to her being here with him.

"Sorry about all that, miss Rosemonde," Murray apologized, and he sighed, groaning just a bit in the process, narrowing his eyes in annoyance. "Your doctor is getting breakfast from the cafeteria. It shouldn't be long."

Cybele wasn't quite sure what to say to that statement. Part of her wanted to smile and giggle just a bit, but her professional side told her to remain neutral and to avoid getting involved. "It's all right, doctor," she assured the older doctor, waving a hand to motion that she didn't mind. "I don't mind."

"I do," he replied bluntly, and it caught Cybele by surprise; but she quickly told herself not to take it personally. "This is ridiculous." His doctor was missing in action because he judged it more important to get breakfast rather than waiting for his new nurse to arrive. Now both Cybele and Murray had to wait in the office until the doctor came back from his fetch quest to the cafeteria, and while Cybele's first day might be slow as she settled in, Murray had much better things to do.
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

[9] [7] [1]

Postby Jaykobell » 04/12/2015 1:19 AM

Cybele busied herself taking a look around the office, and Murray told her a few things about what her job would be about. He told her little, and he focused mostly on introducing the office itself and how the files worked. She figured the head doctor wanted to make the situation less awkward, but that he also wanted to leave this job for the other doctor. All things considered, this was the other doctor's job to introduce Cybele to her new job as his nurse.

Fortunately, it didn't take all that long for the missing doctor to appear in his office. "Endzela!" Murray called out the second the other doctor stepped in, and the younger doctor froze in his tracks.
He was a young doctor, somewhere in his thirties; despite that, he had short grey hair, although he still looked rather charming. He was a bit taller than average, though nothing to really brag about. He sported the official office and doctor look, wearing an average suite under his long white lab coat. What didn't quite fit his image was the cup of coffee in one hand, and a small bag in the other.

"Murray?" the grey-haired doctor said, his eyes going from Murray to Cybele, though they seemed surprised to see the nurse. "What are you doing in my office?" he asked, sounding surprised to see his superior casually waiting in his office.
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

[10] [8] [2]

Postby Jaykobell » 04/12/2015 1:27 AM

"What were you doing in the cafeteria?" Murray asked, looking hard at the younger doctor. "We've been waiting for you!"

The doctor blinked, and he looked genuinely confused. "I was getting breakfast," he replied honestly, and his eyes wandered to Cybele again. He couldn't quite understand why it was such a problem; it was his routine to come to work early and to get breakfast right as he got to work.

As he stared at her, his expression changed, and he gasped. "Oh," he breathed quietly, and he looked like he'd been hit by a figurative brick, "was that today?"

"Yes!" Murray snapped, and he put a hand to his head. "Your new nurse was starting today," he reminded the doctor, and after sighing, he extended an arm towards the younger doctor as he turned just a little towards Cybele. "Miss Rosemonde, this is doctor Neil Endzela," he introduced, and then he withdrew his arm to motion to Cybele. "Endzela, this is Cybele Rosemonde. She'll be working with you starting today."

Cybele smiled sheepishly at the doctor, trying to hide the awkwardness she was feeling from the situation. At the very least, Murray was here to get things going, which helped putting things in order just slightly.
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

[11] [9] [3]

Postby Jaykobell » 04/12/2015 1:35 AM

Cybele hesitated to move towards the doctor, but that wasn't the case for Neil. The doctor put down his coffee and breakfast on the higher desk, and he walked forward to offer a handshake to Cybele. "Hey, glad to meet you! Neil Endzela," he introduced himself, as he felt it was the right thing to do despite Murray having introduced him. "But you can call me Neil," he added, grinning and chuckling just a bit.

Cybele instinctively returned the hand, the two of them giving each other a strong, confident handshake. "Likewise," she replied, just a little timidly, though she tried to keep her voice steady. "My name is Cybele Rosemonde. I'll be your nurse starting today."

"Try to make her feel comfortable, Endzela," Murray said, walking past the two new acquaintances. "Show her around, for one. Do you know how to do that part of your job?" he asked, raising an eyebrow at the other doctor.

"No worries, no worries," Neil assured his boss, waving a hand dismissively. "I'll get on that right after I'm done eating breakfast," he added, and although Murray glared at him, Neil only smiled back. "Promise, promise."

"Don't fuck up, Endzela," Murray instructed very clearly, and his stronger language caught Cybele a little off guard. "Take care, lass," he said to the new nurse before turning his back to the two coworkers, taking his leave.
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

[12] [4]

Postby Jaykobell » 04/12/2015 1:43 AM

The two coworkers watched as the head doctor left the office, slamming the door behind him. Cybele flinched from the sudden noise, but Neil looked surprisingly unfazed, despite having been literally scolded in front of a new coworker. While Cybele had been terribly worried about first impressions, it seemed like her new boss wasn't quite so worried about any of that.

"Whoo-whee," Neil breathed, putting his fists on both hips, "someone isn't happy today," he chuckled, heading back to the desk so he could go back to his breakfast. "I hope he didn't scare you too much," he added, turning to Cybele as he spoke.

"Doctor Wolfgang?" Cybele asked, and while she hesitated, she shook he head. "No, I'm all right. I know none of it is personal." He didn't know her yet, and so she could only assume the comments and unhappiness hadn't been directed at her.

"Sorry about all that, by the way," Neil started again, and he rested an elbow on the desk, with one of his knees bent. He was a friendly one, and he already seemed comfortable with Cybele. "If I'd remembered you were starting today, I would've gotten you something."

"Oh," Cybele said quietly, a little surprised to hear this. "No, don't worry, please. I'm all right." If anything, she was glad that this doctor would be a friendly one. Of course, his competence as a doctor would also matter a lot to her, but his pleasant attitude was already a step in the right direction.
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

[13] [5]

Postby Jaykobell » 04/12/2015 1:59 AM

At first glance, Neil could tell Cybele was a serious one, though she wasn't unpleasant. It was only from a few minutes of interaction, and at the end of the day, maybe it was the stress making her feel the need to be so professional. While he agreed professionalism was crucial with his patients, when it came to his coworkers, Neil liked to be friendly and to let loose just a little bit more.

"Hey, I have an idea," he told Cybele, pointing a finger upward. "How about you come along with me to the cafeteria?"

There was a pause as Neil expected a reply from Cybele, but the nurse failed to think of a proper response. After Neil tilted his head at her to urge a response, Cybele blinked. "Excuse me?"

"I'm supposed to show you around, right?" he asked, and at that question, Cybele nodded — albeit hesitantly. "We can start with the cafeteria. You'll be going there a few times a day to eat while you work here, so it sounds like a good place to start." He paused and smiled brightly to try to convince her. "And we can stop for breakfast at the same time. Can't work on an empty stomach, right?"

Cybele failed to find the proper words, although not so much in a bad way. It was definitely a nice offer from the doctor, but they had quite literally just met; it felt a little too sudden and too personal to be invited to breakfast.

When Neil continued to urge Cybele to answer, the pressure made the nurse crack. "I... I suppose we could start there."
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

[14] [6]

Postby Jaykobell » 04/12/2015 2:06 AM

Cybele hadn't been nearly as enthusiastic about going to the cafeteria as Neil was, but it was still incredibly early. She figured that the first day would go smoothly, and that they could afford to eat and settle in for now. If Neil had to show her around, Cybele assumed he didn't have any appointments today, and that the other doctors of the hospital would handle the emergency patients. It felt a little uncomfortable to be going for breakfast with her new superior that she'd just met a few minutes prior, but she was fortunate in the fact that Neil was friendly.

He lead her down more turns and halls, and she made a mental note to ask for a map of the hospital. While she expected herself to get lost the first few days, the faster she would memorize the layout, the better. She wouldn't be able to afford losing herself in the hospital while a patient needed help. That was absolutely out of the question.

The trip to the cafeteria was a short one, and all things considered, it was a very average place. It didn't have anything more than the other hospital cafeterias she'd seen before, but it wasn't too shabby, either. There was a nice smell of foods, and despite the early hours, there was staff working on various breakfast foods already.

"Only open to staff early in the morning and late at night," Neil pointed out, tilting his head down as he glanced at Cybele. "Quiet, and you get to pick whatever you want. Pretty good, if you ask me." He stretched his arm forward to invite her to go in. "Well? Ready to go in and take a look?"
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

[15] [7]

Postby Jaykobell » 04/12/2015 2:19 AM

At least, Neil had kept to his end of the bargain. As they stepped inside the cafeteria, the doctor lead Cybele along and showed her the interior. He motioned to the tables, the food, the cashiers, where to dispose of the leftovers and the trays; and within a few minutes, Cybele already knew one area of the hospital, besides their mutual office. Granted, it wasn't an important place like the surgical rooms, but she would need to know them all, whether big or small.

He'd also insisted that she take some food, and even though she insisted back by saying she wasn't hungry, Cybele was literally forced to comply as Neil handed her a plate. "It's on me," the doctor had insisted, giving her a smile. "To welcome you here to the hospital on your first day. C'mon, don't worry about it."

She'd complied, even if a little half-heartedly, because she really didn't need this to feel welcomed. As nice as it felt, she felt bad for being put in the spotlight. To alleviate the worries on her mind, she took only a small plate: some scrambled eggs, a few potato bites, a slice of ham, and one slice of toast with a little cup of marmalade. Neil asked a few times if she were sure that was all she wanted, and Cybele had to repeat herself multiple times to assure him that she didn't need any more food. Granted, he'd convinced her to take a small coffee along with her food, but beyond that, she'd insisted to say that she wasn't all that hungry.

She would've insisted to pay for her own food at the cashier as well, but the embarrassing truth was that her wallet was back in the doctor's office. Of course, she'd settled her bag down on the floor before leaving for the cafeteria, but the bag included her wallet. Internally, she was grateful for the doctor having offered to pay on her behalf.
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

Next