A city of white and silver, doctors from all over the world come to converge here and find work. Hospitals of all kinds decorate the white walkways of the city. There are many notable ones you can visit if your pet is in need of some attention. (+3 Precision)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Medicai City

[Contest] A Rare Moment of Respite--Sort Of? [Self]

Postby zapdragon555 » 11/09/2015 11:01 PM

Mildred let out a harried sigh as she walked briskly towards the Pearcival manor, arms laden with bags of food and ingredients of all sorts. Really, sometimes she wondered just how extravagant this family could live. She'd only been sent out to buy spices for goodness' sake! Spices! And a few other menial ingredients, of course, but most of the meal would be coming from the property garden, which Mildred was a little relieved for. Otherwise, her arms would be suffering quite a bit more than they already were.

As much as she somewhat enjoyed working for the Pearcivals, at least most of the time, she had to mentally prepare herself for entering the manor. No doubt the inside would be a bustling hurricane of preparations for Thanksgiving, taken strangely seriously for a family that seemed so distant. Maybe that was the reason why--they all got the chance to sit down properly and look each other in the face for once. Mildred made a sympathetic noise at the thought, and knocked on the kitchen door--an external building from the house--and was quickly pushing inside, out of the chilly autumn air.

But there will come a time
You'll see, with no more tears
And love will not break your heart
But dismiss your fears
Get over your hill and see
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

"Tomorrow will be a good day."

Pen | New Pen | Breed | Wish | Sales | Art | Imp. | Add-ons

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Keystones: 485
Donate
Location: "I mean... for me, I could love someone even if I, you know, wasn't paid for it...

Re: [Contest] A Rare Moment of Respite--Sort Of? [Self]

Postby zapdragon555 » 11/09/2015 11:06 PM

Mildred stiffened up in surprise as she caught sight of the unmistakable eldest son of the family, her heart doing a startled flip in her chest. "M-master Cyril?!" she exclaimed, staring at him as he looked up from the vegetable chopping he was doing. "Wha-what on earth are you doing in here? Shouldn't you be with your father, sir?"

Cyril arched an eyebrow at her flusteredness--more likely fear--and tilted his head with something like a sheepish smirk, like he'd been caught. And he had. "Given we just came back from that lengthy business trip together, I'll take any chance I can get to get away from him," he said quietly as she came a little closer to set the bags down on one of the many counters, where he stood. Mildred looked a little surprised at that, then gave a small, understanding smile and nod. "And anyhow, I don't mind this. I used to help the maids now and then when I was younger, and I've forgotten how to do everything. Figures what a few years will do."

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate
Location: "I mean... for me, I could love someone even if I, you know, wasn't paid for it...

Postby zapdragon555 » 11/09/2015 11:14 PM

Mildred smiled slightly, nodding mechanically as she began unloading the spices and grouping them proper. It felt strange to be chatting idly with the heir to the company; it wasn't something she ever envisioned herself doing. One, because she was an errand maid, confined to the perimeter buildings for various tasks, and two, Cyril was downright intimidating. He didn't seem like he tried to be, but the air around him seemed devoid of both warmth, and maids. They all seemed to avoid him, too, except for occasionally checking on his knifework. That was another thing that made Mildred strangely, inexplicably nervous--Cyril's fingers seemed far too deft with the knife for him to be so out of practice.

Mildred shook the dark thoughts out of her head, chastising herself internally. What foolishness to think of Cyril like that! He was a fine young man with a fine head on his shoulders, or else Gerard would have nothing to do with him. Besides, Cyril seemed a little lonely there by himself. Mildred just wished she didn't have to be the one to keep him company. "Well, you still seem to be doing very well, regardless. If you'd like me to take over for you, just say so--"

"Mil-dred!" a maid's high voice called, and Mildred didn't know whether to groan in exasperation or sigh with relief. A new job, no doubt--a path away from the intimidatingly dark eldest son, but a path towards more work that would surely have her sore in the morning.

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 11/10/2015 2:58 AM

"I'm terribly sorry, I'm being dragged away," Mildred quickly said to Cyril with an apologetic smile, and before he could really answer she was rushing towards the maid who had called her, only to have a sack of potatoes hefted into her arms.

"These all have too many blemishes; take them away and dispose of them, then come back for the other two when you're done. Thank you, dear," the pleasantry was added on more out of habit than actual thanks, and Mildred tried not to scowl at the woman's retreating form. She quickly turned on her heel and shouldered her way out the door, glancing over her shoulder when she rounded the corner as the door shut.

In retrospect, she probably should've been a little more vigilant. Before she could process what was happening, Mildred was colliding with Griffin with a cry and a shout, respectively, the potatoes flying from her arms and tumbling to the grass underfoot. "God--Mildred? Oh gosh, I'm so sorry about that--"

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 11/10/2015 5:37 PM

"Here, let me," Griffin murmured, voice rough with embarrassment as the two of them bent down to try to retrieve the potatoes before they could roll away.

"Thank you, it's fine," Mildred said quickly, her face a little hot with a shame that rivaled Griffin's. She really should've been watching where she was going! "Thank you," she repeated herself, and trailed off, blinking as she picked up two potatoes and stared at them. A frown crossed her face as she examined them, eyes flickering in confusion. "These look... perfectly fine to me," she mused, and Griffin looked up with a small 'hm?' and shuffled closer, squatting on the ground.

"Mm--why wouldn't they be? Griffin asked, blinking in confusion at Mildred's frown, and she sighed shortly, shaking her head.

"It's all well and good, Master Griffin," she murmured, quickly filling the bag once more with her armful of spuds. "I've just been asked to dispose of them. They said they had too many blemishes... perhaps a few too many eyes here and there, but I can't see much wrong with them."

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 11/10/2015 5:45 PM

"Oh, but listen to me complaining--I really should take these out to the compost area," Mildred struggled to get up off her knees with the heavy bag in her arms, and Griffin hesitated for a few moments before standing up and bending down to gently lift the bag out of her hands. He staggered slightly under the weight, not used to carrying such things, but offered a rare, earnest smile.

"I can carry these. I was looking for something to do, anyway," Griffin chuckled slightly, sheepish. His hair was getting long, Mildred noticed, and she smiled ruefully at the realization Gerard would probably have him cut it soon. Such were how things went; it was a pity. His blond hair was beautiful, if not a little out of place among his raven-haired siblings. Rueful as well for his comment--to have enough free time to look for something to do! What a foreign concept. She had to smile at it.

"Here, stay right there," she said, and quickly darted back into the kitchen. Cyril was nowhere to be found, a relieving and worrying thought--hopefully he wasn't out by the stables again; Gerard would be furious if he found Cyril had taken his prized horse out for a ride again, especially so close to dinnertime--and she hurried across the room to grab another sack of potatoes, a little bit lighter than the first, and hurried back out to join Griffin once more. "There. Cut the work in half," she said with a smile.

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 11/14/2015 12:14 AM

The two walked, quietly at first, towards the place where they'd drop off the sacks of food to be taken to compost, occasionally mentioning how it was such a waste that they had to get rid of the potatoes. Mildred couldn't hold back her smile when Griffin mentioned how fun it might be if they used the potatoes for their own Thanksgiving dinner, he and her. She almost agreed, but instead gently chastised him in her non-serious way, saying he really should eat dinner with his family. She hoped she imagined the flicker of disappointment in his eyes--if it truly had been there, she might have to reconsider, and it wouldn't do for her to drag Griffin away from his family.

"At any rate, do you need help with anything else? Griffin asked, looking up at her with hopeful blue eyes, and unfortunately, Mildred couldn't find it in her heart to lie.

"Well... actually, there are a few more sacks of potatoes that need carrying... and probably a few other chores to do around the kitchen?" she left the sentence as a question, checking his face to see if he really did want to help, or if the idea of working in a hot and busy kitchen was too much of a turn-off.

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 11/14/2015 11:29 PM

If anything, Griffin showed enthusiasm for the idea, his eyes shining as he straightened up and nodded. "No, I'd like to! I wouldn't mind it at all," he said unable to keep the grin off his face. It was so unlike him, Mildred thought with a soft beam. Maybe he was happy his family was back together for a day. Likely, he was happy to spend time with her--but to be so self-indulgent in thought was dangerous.

"Well, then we should probably--

"Grif-fin!"
ImageImage

Both teens turned their heads in surprise to stare at the two approaching figures, or rather one figure with another figure on its back--regardless. Griffin had to stifle a small grimace as he saw Erastus run up with Gabriella on his back, the young girl waving and laughing as she called Griffin's name once more. That, at least, brought the smile back, the blond boy's eyes soft. "You look well today, Gabby! Feeling a little better?" he asked as Erastus brought her close, a grin on his face.

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 11/15/2015 12:22 AM

"Uhuh," Gabriella confirmed, nodding up and down, her chin resting on the top of Erastus' head.

"She said she wanted to go see the garden before dinner, but then she caught sight of you two," Erastus chuckled, hefting the girl on his back a little better. "What are you doing?"

"Oh, Griffin here was helping me out with some dinner preparations," Mildred chuckled, lightly tapping Griffin on the shoulder, who smirked and flushed slightly.

"If... you could call it that. We were just taking some bad potatoes to the pickup place," Griffin admitted, and Mildred laughed at that, delighted by his sheepishness.

"Would you two like to help, as well?" Mildred offered, bending down slightly to be on Erastus' level. Gabriella's eyes flickered at that, apprehensive, but Erastus grinned and nodded. Griffin, admittedly, was a little disappointed that his time with Mildred was being intruded on, and he tried not to let it show on his face, instead focusing on the happiness that Gabriella was well enough to go out in the chilly air.

"I think we would, yeah! Want to, Gabriella? It'll be fun to help make the turkey!" Erastus encouraged, to which the small girl finally smiled and nodded shyly, hugging her arms around his neck tightly.

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 11/15/2015 12:34 AM

"But... I wanna ride on Griffin's shoulders," Gabriella added after a moment, peering up at Griffin with large bluegrey eyes. Erastus blinked, then smiled and nodded, carefully kneeling down and letting Gabriella stand shakily on the ground, holding on tight to his shoulders.

Griffin stammered slightly, blinking, about to insist that she stay with Erastus. He didn't like how fragile she looked in the chilly air. Mildred glanced at him, a softness in her face, and she lightly pressed Griffin's upper back to push him towards the two. Finally, he moved over and knelt down beside Erastus, letting Gabriella climb onto his back, his hands automatically going to hold her legs in place. It was a bit awkward at first, but after a short time he got the hang of it, and straightened up with a smile.

"Thanks, Griffin," Erastus chuckled, lightly hitting his shoulder and rolling it. "My back was starting to hurt a little. Gab is heavy!" he joked, and got a weak kick to the side from her, making him wince and chuckle. "Just kidding."

Mildred smiled, watching the three siblings interact with a warmth stirring in her heart. "Well! If everyone's ready, I'll lead the way to the kitchen. There will be lots of things to do, I'm sure! And lots of things to taste test," she added, smiling at Gabriella and winking as she passed, leading the three back towards the kitchen.

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate