A city of white and silver, doctors from all over the world come to converge here and find work. Hospitals of all kinds decorate the white walkways of the city. There are many notable ones you can visit if your pet is in need of some attention. (+3 Precision)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Medicai City

Re: Dangerous Disguise [P, Hunt, L/V]

Postby MillietheWarrior » 06/18/2016 2:59 AM

Sam wandered the cobblestone streets, boots thudding aimlessly as she picked her way past trucks and soldiers headed this way and that. She didn’t quite see where she was going, just eager to be away from the medical tents and away from her apparently loud-mouthed friend long enough to cool down.

She wasn’t really mad about her secret getting out, she supposed. She was mostly angry that the trust she’d placed in Lizzie had been shattered. She’d trusted her friend – her best friend, she dared to venture—not to tell anyone about her. But it seemed that at the sight of the first handsome man back from action, Lizzie’s mouth had gained a mind of its own.

I love adventurous tales like that. That uplifting feeling that comes from seeing unknown lands and the knowledge that you came across—nothing can replace it! It opens a path from which self-confidence, experience, and important friendships—from the sharing of life or death situations—are born! But hearing it just isn’t the same. I want to create my own magnificent story!

A great adventure!

+Imp. Documents+ +Menagerie+ +Wishlist+ +Journal+
MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Keystones: 10
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 06/18/2016 3:00 AM

Sam didn’t dress like a solider, like a man, because she wanted to feel like one, nor because she thought of herself as a boy. She dressed this way because it made her comfortable; because in the thick of it, when lives needed saving and every second counted, she couldn’t do her job in heels. She couldn’t wear a dress that made her feel exposed and vulnerable. She’d grown up in pants, and she saw no problem with wearing them, even if she did look like a man.

Her superiors didn’t mind, either. They knew she was a woman and they didn’t give a good God damn what she wore, as long as she did her job. Since the men had left to fight in France, she’d just been…mistaken as a man, and mostly by the female nurses and civilians left in town. She’d never made an effort to correct it either (and had used it to her advantage more often than not). She supposed it had come with perks, as she’d once told Lewis Nixon. It was helpful not to have to fight for supplies, or to get into places, or worry about being hassled.

I love adventurous tales like that. That uplifting feeling that comes from seeing unknown lands and the knowledge that you came across—nothing can replace it! It opens a path from which self-confidence, experience, and important friendships—from the sharing of life or death situations—are born! But hearing it just isn’t the same. I want to create my own magnificent story!

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 06/18/2016 3:02 AM

In the long run, yeah, okay, maybe she didn’t care as much as she acted like she did. But the more men who knew about her being a woman, the more people might start to whisper. And the more people whispered, the more likely it was that someone would get disgruntled and force her back into the dress and heels. And in the end, that would affect her ability to do her job.

She smirked quietly to herself. “’Sides,” she muttered quietly, kicking a stone along the street, hands shoved in her pockets. “I can run faster in pants.”

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 06/18/2016 3:02 AM

The sound of booted footsteps caught her attention, and she turned just in time to see Lewis Nixon overtake her, strolling along at her side without permission. She arched an eyebrow at him, some of her annoyance with his sister leeching onto the ‘innocent’ intelligence officer. “Can I help you?” she demanded, her strides slowing until she was stopped in the street, facing a grinning Nixon.

“I sure hope you can. I’ve been lookin’ all over for you.” He paused, glancing over her shoulder, and then around them. “Where’s Lizzie?” he questioned, and now it was his turn to raise an eyebrow at her.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 06/18/2016 3:03 AM

“Back at the medical tents, sorting through supplies. What can I do for you, lieutenant?” Her tone indicated that she wasn’t too interested in helping with whatever it was he needed her for, and Lewis found that rather amusing. He dug around in his pocket, pulling out a somewhat crumpled piece of paper.

“Right, right. I came to give you this, on my CO’s orders.” He handed over the piece of paper, and Sam took it with a scowl, unfolding the crumpled letter with a grimace. Her eyes scanned over what was written, before widening almost comically. She glanced up at Lewis, as if to be sure she was reading right. “That’s right,” he said with a nod. “Reassignment. Colonel Sink wanted someone from the 42nd to transfer to the 326th Airborne medical company who had rank, knowledge and know-how. And since Lizzie is out of the question, I volunteered your name.”

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 06/18/2016 3:04 AM

Sam’s scowl returned, replacing the surprise as she stuffed the letter in her pocket. “Why the sudden transfer, Lewis?” she demanded, dispensing with the titles. If Lewis had been anyone else, he’d have probably called her on it.

“The 326th took some pretty heavy casualties in Normandy. They need replacement officers who can handle some of the tougher jobs; people who don’t pass out at the sight of blood.” He ignored Sam’s snort of derision. “Yeah, yeah, I know. But some of the replacements are so green, it’s like a God damn St. Patrick’s Day parade.” Sam’s dark look darkened further. “Oh, shit, right. You’re of the Irish persuasion. Sorry ‘bout that.”

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 06/18/2016 3:04 AM

“Geeze, Lewis,” she growled, continuing down the street with Nixon on her tail. “For such a seemingly intelligent man, you ain’t got a lotta tact, do ya?”

“I don’t need tact,” Nixon snorted. “I’m an intelligence officer. And anyway, this should be right up your alley. You’ll be one of the medical officers who can show the new guys what for. I assume you know how to deal with battlefield wounds and causalities?” At Sam’s narrow-eyed stare, he shrugged. “Just wanted to ask. I know you guys got your fair share of men from the Normandy invasion shipped back over here, but I wasn’t sure how much experience you actually had. Lizzie said you were a supply officer.”

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 06/18/2016 3:06 AM

“Newly promoted,” Sam intoned quietly, her eyes straying to her booted feet. “I’ve only been a supply officer for a month. So yeah,” she agreed, and Nixon saw shadows dancing behind her eyes. “I’ve had plenty to keep me busy before that. Lizzie and I were up to our elbows in that nightmare. At least we could do some good for the boys who were shipped back over. I think the battlefield might be a different ball game. But…I’ll give it my best.”

She shrugged one shoulder, and Nixon’s smile widened. “That’s what I like to hear,” he replied, slinging an arm over her shoulder, ignoring the way she stiffened with annoyance. “Between you and me, I’m glad you’re so accepting. My only other option was Lizzie, and there was no way in hell I was reassigning her. Too dangerous.”

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 06/18/2016 3:08 AM

“I’m glad to see you care so much for me,” Sam answered dryly, itching to pick his arm off her shoulders. “So…what all will this entail exactly?”

“A little of this and a little of that.” Sam pinched his hand, and Nixon yelped, removing his arm from her shoulders and rubbing the abused appendage. “Geeze, ow, okay.” He sighed heavily. “Well, you didn’t hear from me, but we’ll be moving out soon. Something about doing a drop into a certain place.” He didn’t provide extra answers to that, despite the dark look his companion gave him.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 06/18/2016 3:09 AM

“You’re gonna receive jump training before then, ‘cuz we want you dropping in with the 326th and the 506th. A lot of the 326th is going in gliders, on account of the equipment they need to bring with them, but a few essentials, like yourself, are coming with us. So as long as you aren’t afraid of heights, you’ll be fine. You’re basically going to be a field nurse, medic, whatever the hell you wanna call it. I happened to recommend that Sink put you in the vicinity of Easy, so we could keep an eye on you. He agreed, but on the condition that you are supposed to be at the rear at all times. No heroics, no funny business, zip. Keep to the requirements and everything will be right as rain.”

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 06/18/2016 3:10 AM

“So, wait, I have to have jump training? As in…jumping out of a plane?” The idea made her slightly queasy. “And how long do I have before we move out? Please don’t say ‘days.’” She was trying to wrap her head around all of this; up until now, she’d just been a nurse, and a supply officer. She was used to sterile environments, performing makeshift surgeries, wrapping wounds, fixing people up. Sure, she’d seen her share of blood and gore, but this was a whole new world, and whole other ball game. She’d be jumping into combat, a terror in and of itself. And the jump alone was enough to make her rethink agreeing so easily.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 06/18/2016 3:11 AM

She didn’t know if she was prepared for this, mentally or physically. But she supposed she could try. “Where am I going for jump training?” she heard herself say, still dazed by the realization that things were going to get real hairy, real soon.

“Yep, out of a plane. And no, not days. A while longer than that, I imagine.” He stroked his chin thoughtfully. “As for jump training…Oh, Chilton Foliat. There’s an…interesting man there by the name of Herbert Sobel who will be your instructor.” Lewis’s smile was eerie as Sam glanced at him. “I think you’re gonna love him.”

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 06/19/2016 1:38 AM

“Lewis, where the hell is Sam?”

Nixon looked up from his bacon sandwich to see his sister standing in the doorway of Dick’s office, glaring at him as though he’d just lit her favorite dress on fire. He chewed slowly, waiting a couple of beats before he answered; “Chilton Foliat.”

Dick, who was trying to get some of the paperwork done that had been dumped on his desk that morning, glanced up briefly, sensing that, that was not the answer Lizzie wanted. His assumption was correct when he saw her face darken with fury.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 06/19/2016 1:39 AM

“Why is she at Chilton Foliat? And why the hell couldn’t you or her be bothered to tell me a damn thing?!” Lizzie marched inside, slamming the door behind her to avoid the curious gazes of the officers and privates who were wandering the halls outside.

“She just up and left last night, not a word, not a sound. I thought she was just out late, but when I woke up in the morning, she’d never come home! She’s gone! She packed her stuff up and left!” Nixon’s cheeky remark died on his lips when he saw the real distress in his sister’s face. “It’s my fault, isn’t it? It’s because of my big mouth. It’s because I broke a promise to her, isn’t it? She decided to leave because of me!”

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 06/19/2016 1:39 AM

Dick, by now, was leaning back in his chair, eyes darting from his friend to Nixon’s sister, curious, but wisely keeping quiet. He was now well aware of Sam Branigan’s gender and identity, and he had been curious as to why she’d kept it a secret. Or at least, why she never sought to correct anyone who mislabeled her.

“No, Liz, it’s not your fault,” Lewis began, trying to his best ‘comforting’ tone. He put down his sandwich, and moved to embrace his sister, who stiffened slightly, before allowing herself to be enfolded in her brother’s arms. “I don’t know why she didn’t tell you, and I think that’s something you should hash out with her, but she didn’t really have a choice about going. She’s been reassigned to the 326th Airborne Medical Company, and she had to leave immediately for jump training. She probably didn’t get a chance to say goodbye.”

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

PreviousNext