A city of white and silver, doctors from all over the world come to converge here and find work. Hospitals of all kinds decorate the white walkways of the city. There are many notable ones you can visit if your pet is in need of some attention. (+3 Precision)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Medicai City

Learning the Ropes [P/Ari][M:E]

Postby SpringsSong » 12/27/2016 10:23 PM

Zelaen, "Zel".  Human form.

"All right, let's see here..." Zelaen said, opening the textbook and skimming over a page quickly before he actually picked a place to start reading at.  "Should probably start with something simple, like how to take a pulse, shouldn't I?"

He looked up at Benji, a lopsided smile on his face.  The two of them had been together for some time now, and Zelaen had been wanting to learn how to help take care of his boyfriend.  They'd always stayed close to Medicai, just in case something happened and Luminare (or any of the other doctors) could get to him before things turned too dire.

"Okay... 'There are several different pulse points on the human body...'"
Maybe I'm foolish, maybe I'm blind
Thinking I can see through this to see what's behind
Got no way to prove it, so maybe I'm lying
Take a look in the mirror, what do you see
Can you see it clearer, or are you deceived in what you believe?
Don't ask my opinion, don't ask me to lie
Then beg for forgiveness for making you cry
'cause I'm no prophet or Messiah
You should go looking somewhere higher

I'm only human, I make mistakes
I'm only human, I do what I can
I'm only human, that's all it takes to put the blame on me

Don't put the blame on me

"Human", Rag'n'Bone Man

:.:Eternal Spring:.:Tome of Records:.:Spring's Wishlist:.:Eternal Spring Breeders:.:
SpringsSong
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Keystones: 5883
Donate

Re: Learning the Ropes [P/Ari][M:E]

Postby Rainbowfox Ari » 12/27/2016 10:29 PM

Benji. "Ben" - Human form.

Since they were in Benji's room, the pale-haired boy was familiar with the surroundings. Zel probably was too, as often as they'd come here. Over the course of the last year, they'd become closer - and Benji started coming out of his timid shell around the other. Right now, he sat on the bed opposite the large plush chair that Zelaen was occupying, watching him concentrate on one of Luminare's medical textbooks, and wearing a distinctly amused expression.

"Well yeah. You shouldn't need a textbook for that." The boy said, leaning back on his hands, and watching his boyfriend fumble with the pages. "You know where my best ones are." He sat forward, and touched the points in question as he said them. "My throat, both wrists, and the top of my feet. Although I have shoes on right now."
[EDITING SIGNATURE PLEASE HOLD]
Rainbowfox Ari
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Pets | Items
Keystones: 424
Donate

Postby SpringsSong » 12/27/2016 10:44 PM

"I know, Ben," Zelaen said, looking up from the book, while keeping his finger on the point where he had stopped at.  "This'll help me remember things more, too.  'There are various pulse points on the body.  These are commonly located in places on the body where an artery can be pressed against bone, and one's heartbeat can be felt with the fingertips.  In order to get one's pulse rate, first, find the pulse.  Once you have done that, find a watch.  Count the number of beats for twenty seconds, and then multiply that number by three.  Alternatively, count for one whole minute for a math-free method."

He stopped here to catch his breath, and then, he looked over at Benji.  "Okay... I think I understand that, at least.  Would you be willing to let me try that on you?" he asked.

"Human", Rag'n'Bone Man

:.:Eternal Spring:.:Tome of Records:.:Spring's Wishlist:.:Eternal Spring Breeders:.:
SpringsSong
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Rainbowfox Ari » 12/27/2016 11:01 PM

Ben shrugged a bit, and offered his wrist. "Of course. I mean, you're going to have to learn to do this anyway, like it or not, if you're gonna be with me. We already discussed that bit." His eyes sparkled a bit, and he leaned forward to kiss Zel's cheek. "Go ahead. Do anything you want to me. Stick me with needles if you want. I trust you implicitly."

The boy was wearing short sleeves, so it was easy to find the pulse-points. This wasn't the first time that Benji had mentioned that he was going to trust Zel with his life and everything else. The palpable connection between them was something commented on frequently. Although it usually went a little like 'Isn't that sweet?' or 'Oh, they like each other!' - and generally by older ladies and gentleman for whom tact was a foreign concept.
Rainbowfox Ari
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby SpringsSong » 12/27/2016 11:18 PM

"I... I'm not going to stick you with needles until I know how to do that in the most efficient way, Ben," Zelaen said in a slightly hesitant voice, taking Benji's hand in his left hand, and placing his index and middle finger slightly below the edge of his palm.

Once he had found Benji's pulse point on his wrist, Zelaen exhaled and looked at his watch.  Once the second hand hit :00, he began to count the pulses he felt from the artery.  He also began to tap his foot as he counted; two beats for every second.  He'd explained it to Benji once before: most marching tunes were played at the same tempo, and that tempo was one-hundred and twenty beats per minute--or, two beats a second.  It was another way for him to keep track of the time as he was measuring his pulse.

"Human", Rag'n'Bone Man

SpringsSong
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Rainbowfox Ari » 12/27/2016 11:32 PM

Ben must have been... excited to have Zel around, because his rate was about ninety-two. Considerably faster than his normal rate. Then again, the blush spreading across his cheeks might have been an indicator as to why. He did take a deep breath and try to calm down, achieving this with single-minded determination and closed eyes. The rate fell back to a more normal eighty. Normal for him, anyway. He chanced opening one eye to watch Zel.

"I guess Luminare must use the other method. The three-seconds method thing. He never takes it for this long. Not that I'm complaining or anything!" No, far from. He was very, very pleased to have Zel touching him, and this close. His eighteenth birthday had come and gone in September, and - while he still might be chronically ill - certain parts of his psyche had started to realize what having Zel around did for him. It was a pleasurable feeling.

"What's next? My neck?" he asked, still keeping still as long as Zel had his wrist. "I can take my collar off." Ben had taken to wearing a dog-collar around his neck. Said it made him look better.
Rainbowfox Ari
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby SpringsSong » 12/27/2016 11:39 PM

Zel counted carefully, although he had to readjust his count after Benji got his heart-rate under control.  When he said that Luminare must have used a different method, Zel chuckled slightly.

"Well, he's also a doctor," he said.  "I'm... well, anything but a doctor.  I figure that doing things the long way first will make it easier to do things in a quicker fashion later on down the road."  When Benji offered his neck, Zel frowned as he shook his head.

"I know how to find your pulse point there without any issue," Zel said.  "But, I think making you sit still for a minute to count your pulse is good for right now.  Let me see what else is in this book..." he said, looking over the text, moving onto the bed next to Benji.

"Human", Rag'n'Bone Man

SpringsSong
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Rainbowfox Ari » 12/27/2016 11:46 PM

The youth took this opportunity to settle himself beside his boyfriend, and lean his head against his shoulder. He didn't really much care what the book said. The point was that Zel was here with him, and not liable to leave. They were both in the same room together, and there was a bed here, too... He didn't dwell on that thought much longer - it got uncomfortable after a while. Even so...

He reached out and pointed to an excerpt about medical equipment. "Heeeey. I've seen some of those things at the hospital." he murmured, still content to rest on Zel's shoulder. "And yeah, Lumi's a doctor and you're not, but you're something even more special." He pulled away just long enough to look up, and kissed Zel on the cheek again. "You're mine. That's more important."
Rainbowfox Ari
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby SpringsSong » 12/28/2016 12:08 AM

Zelaen smiled as he turned and kissed Benji's cheek in return, putting an arm around the other.  As he pointed out the machines, Zel looked them over closely.  "I've seen a couple of these when we've had to take my sister in for her more intense spells of her issues," he said.  "Granted, I haven't seen all of these used with her, but I've seen them in the rooms we've passed by."

He continued to skim over the book, half-reading, and half-skimming, slightly losing his interest in the book.  However, as the statement Benji made sank in--that he was his--his interest was slightly renewed.  "Yeah, you're right," he said.  "And that's why I need to know these things--so that I can take care of you, too."

"Human", Rag'n'Bone Man

SpringsSong
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Rainbowfox Ari » 12/30/2016 11:24 PM

"They're not fun, most of them." Benji admitted, watching him read. "You already do take care of me by a lot." he said, reaching out to put his hand on top of Zel's. "You care for me more than most sane people would admit to right now. You don't need to do anything extra, or super-special. Just keep being you, and that should be more than enough." Smiling, he leaned forward and kissed Zelaen's cheek. "You're you, and I'm me, and there's nothing that's going to tear the two of us apart. As much as that sounds like really cheesy song lyrics, it's true. Really, really true. I'm not making that up."

His fingers twined with Zel's, and he leaned a little more into him, capturing his lips this time, instead of his cheek, and using a good deal of what he'd learned from some of the magazines in Luminare's living-room, on the shelf behind glass and under several very heavy fake books. He was, after all, a teenager. Doing this just came naturally. The thought of what might come after this never once occurred to Benji, as he slipped his hands up the back of Zel's shirt, and held him that way, lips still working over his boyfriends' - resistance or not.
Rainbowfox Ari
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate