A city of white and silver, doctors from all over the world come to converge here and find work. Hospitals of all kinds decorate the white walkways of the city. There are many notable ones you can visit if your pet is in need of some attention. (+3 Precision)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Medicai City

:. Dangerous Potential [P] [E]

Postby Jaykobell » 08/07/2017 8:47 AM

[The E tag is for relatively gross medical patients. Probably a lot of swearing too.]
He was in the hospital starting right at six o’clock in the morning. His own nurse started at the same time, and a few select doctors also started at that time. A chunk of the staff didn’t start until about an hour or two later, and he usually used the quieter hours, if circumstances allowed, to work things out.

They had gotten a new doctor recently, a bright and young woman whom seemed to have a lot of potential. She had started her internship with Neil, and much to his surprise, everything had gone swimmingly. Of course, hearing that every member of his staff pulled their weight was what he liked to hear.

And unlike some other staff members, this young and bright doctor was working well. They had met extensively once, and that was when she’d been hired here. After that, since she did everything as she was supposed to, he hadn’t had to call her in his office or anything of the sort. That, too, was something he liked. And doctors like that: he wanted to keep them around as much as possible.

With her being young and new, he now had a certain kind of “assignment” for her, if one could call it that. It was important to know the skills every doctor had in the hospital: that was how they managed to delegate work effectively for the wellbeing of their patients. They had a variety of departments, and while this doctor had been working in general departments so far - the ER, basic surgeries, consultations, the likes - he wanted to know what kind of real potential she had. There were a few select doctors in this hospital who were known for being notoriously difficult to work with and for, and part of that was because they specialized in fields very few other doctors did.

Such was the plan for today. Neil had been doing a fine job mentoring this new doctor, but now it was time to see if she could handle more.

He’d scheduled her for seven o’clock today. He’d advised her the day before, and he had made sure to let her know it wasn’t anything negative. It wasn’t unusual for people to assume the worst when one of the hospital owners came up to them to tell them they were expected in his office first thing the next morning.

Right on the dot, his nurse advised that the said young doctor was here and ready to tackle the day. He straightened a few small things in his office, and then he headed out to meet with the young doctor.

“Jennifer?” he called out shortly after having got out of his office, and he approached the young woman upon seeing her close. “Good morning. I hear you’re ready to get going.”
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Keystones: 4511
Donate

Re: :. Dangerous Potential [P] [E]

Postby zapdragon555 » 08/09/2017 4:53 PM

Even if she'd grown used to her duties at the hospital by now, Jennifer always felt a small twang of anxiety every time she was asked to go somewhere. She wanted to make a good impression in everything she did, even after the little-under-a-month she'd been there. Dr. Murray didn't scare her much--he was kind enough, if not a tiny bit intimidating, being in charge and all. But she liked his ties, and he'd set her up with Neil and Cybele in the beginning, who she also quite liked. All around, good experiences--so why did she feel such a strange, innate sense of dread, especially today?

She'd been alone with her thoughts long enough to put her phone away (fidgeting with time-waster apps never much helped with her antsy tendencies) and just find patterns on the colored tiles in the floor. Pretty dull, but at least it caught her attention long enough for Murray to come out of his office.

Jennifer looked up from the tiles on the floor to stare at Murray for a few beats, a smile growing on her face as she turned towards him more properly. "You wanted to see me, sir?"

But there will come a time
You'll see, with no more tears
And love will not break your heart
But dismiss your fears
Get over your hill and see
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

"Tomorrow will be a good day."

Pen | New Pen | Breed | Wish | Sales | Art | Imp. | Add-ons

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Keystones: 485
Donate
Location: "I mean... for me, I could love someone even if I, you know, wasn't paid for it...

[2] [1]

Postby Jaykobell » 08/09/2017 8:37 PM

Murray approached Jennifer relatively casually, hands in his labcoat, but unfortunately sporting a normal, unexciting tie today. "I heard from doctor Endzela that you've been working hard," he said. "Which I'm happy to hear." It was important for the hospital to hire young doctors. Having too many older doctors, or too many young ones, even, wasn't practical. It was nice to see a young doctor with so much promise.

"We have a doctor who could use some extra help," he went on to explain. "If you'd follow me, please."

He turned around and headed down the hall, guiding Jennifer to their destination. It was early in the morning, and staff was starting to trickle in; it wouldn't be long before the hospital got bustling. "The doctor you'll be working under works in a very specialized department," Murray explained as they walked, and as expected, the twists and turns came to him as second nature. "We're always looking for doctors and nurses who can handle working there." They were few and far between, if understandably so. Jennifer showed promise, and if she could handle what was to come, she would definitely prove to be an extremely valuable asset.

They passed by the regular departments, like cardiology, psychology, hematology — until they reached a very specific area of the hospital. They had to pass through a few different doors for this one, and the sign explained why: "Psychiatric Ward".

After they had ventured just a little bit into that department, Murray started looking around. There were a few nurses around, and a handful of doctors at best; but he had to look for a bit before spotting the one doctor he needed. "This way, please," he told Jennifer, guiding her to the station in the center of the department, where one doctor sat at the desk.
It was a young, charming doctor with sleek and short pitch-black hair who was writing at the station. He finished writing something in a file, and he was about to grab another one when he looked up and noticed Murray just a little ways away. And not only Murray, but a charming young woman, too. That got his attention.

As Murray approached, the doctor repositioned himself, leaning one arm on the desk and eyeing the two of them. There was this suave atmosphere to him. "Well, well," he said as both Murray and Jennifer made their way to the station. "Patients walking themselves in?" he asked, looking at Murray specifically, and raising an eyebrow as he grinned.

"Jennifer," Murray said, turning to Jennifer, "this is doctor Elliott Colchester," he introduced, pointing a hand towards the young doctor. "Elliott," he added, now turning his attention to Elliott, "this is one of our new doctors, Jennifer Bannister," he introduced, reversing the roles. "She'll be helping you starting now."

He couldn't see her whole body from where he sat behind the station, but he could see enough. Elliott eyed Jennifer for a moment, looking her over, all in silence. He eventually smiled, and he looked at her with what could very easily be interpreted as a flirtatious smile. He could work with that. "Mhm," he said as he turned back to Murray. "Sounds good."

"I'll let you two get acquainted," Murray said, and before leaving, he turned to Jennifer. "Elliott here will guide you through the work he does here. Good luck, doctor Bannister," he added before turning around and heading back the way they'd come.

Elliott glanced in Murray's direction as the older doctor left the psych ward, and after he was gone, he looked back to Jennifer. She was a young little thing; he couldn't quite understand why Murray had stationed her here. She supposedly had potential; admittedly, even if she failed at the job, at least she was a nice piece of eye-candy. "Jennifer, hm? Cute name," he said, putting a leg over the other and resting both elbows on the arm rests of his chair, and intertwining both hands. "Fresh out of med school, I presume?"
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 08/25/2017 12:48 AM

Jennifer had smiled at the mention of Neil's praise--she had to admit, the doctor was kind, and she quite liked him. But she knew better than to get mixed up in that, for anything more than co-workers. Besides, she didn't have much of an interest in that regard. "I'd love to meet him, sir!" she said, before following Murray to the psych ward. She blinked at the plaque, then smiled with some caution, walking up to the central desk and eyeing the man behind it.

He was... handsome, yes, but Jennifer could sense a strange aura coming off the man. Something she couldn't quite place. The way his eyes traveled over her only solidified this, and she tried not to frown as she stepped closer and offered her hand to Elliott over the desk. "Good to meet you, Dr. Colchester," she said tersely, but politely. "I'm happy to be working with you."

Murray's departure set her nerves on edge, but she tried not to let it show. She could handle creepy coworkers, if this indeed would be the case. Maybe it wouldn't! Maybe she was seeing things. Maybe--

Cute?!

Jennifer scowled slightly, but in a way that could look like a pout if she handled it well enough. "Mm. 'Fresh out' is jumping the gun a little, but I'm fresh meat, you could say. Your name isn't as cute," she fired back, but with a smile this time, hoping the jest would be well-received.

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate
Location: "I mean... for me, I could love someone even if I, you know, wasn't paid for it...

[2]

Postby Jaykobell » 08/25/2017 10:23 PM

Whatever enthusiasm Jennifer had had was being put to the test. Such was how things happened with Elliott; many could agree that he was a charming doctor — until he opened his mouth.

He frowned when she referred to him as doctor Colchester. He kept the smile on his face, but the rest of it made it clear it had upset him. "Hahah, okay..." he mumbled as he scoffed and shook his head. "Let's not do that," he said right away. "Just Elliott. If you just have to do the whole 'doctor' thing, then just 'doctor'." He wasn't saying it so they could be "friends" or so they could grow "close": he was saying it because he couldn't stand people calling him by his last name, and his expression made that point crystal clear.

He let it go for patients; what else were they supposed to call him? In a professional setting, there was nothing else for them to call him. And for the patients here in the psych ward? They were nutjobs: even if he insisted that they don't refer to his last name, they wouldn't even remember, or even understand, possibly. As for everyone else who worked here: those who wanted to upset him called him that on purpose. "So, no: far from being a cute name." At least that had been the extent of that — it looked like this "fresh meat" of a doctor didn't know who he was, or his name. And hopefully, it would stay that way.

"Well then," he said as he stood up, "if we're done with that, how about we get to work, hm?" He hadn't shaken her hand, but hopefully he would prove better at showing her the job than at social interactions.
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 09/11/2017 1:22 AM

Jennifer could deduce as much that she'd verbally made a mistake the moment his expression started to change. A pang of anxiety made her grow still, before she nodded, swallowing and offering a respectful, but detached smile. "Elliot it is, if that's what you want." It felt strange, and gods knew she'd slip up a few times. At least his surname was long, and harder to remember than his first name. That was a blessing.

She took her hand back as he stood, folding them at her front as she stepped back and looked at him levelly. He was taller than her--which wasn't a surprise, given she was on the shorter side, but now that he wasn't sitting down, he was a little bit more intimidating. And good-looking. But his sour personality was putting a serious damper on that last part. She smiled and nodded, determined to keep her positive air. "Yes, I'm ready to tackle anything," she said, adjusting a lapel on her doctor's coat. "Please lead the way."

She paused in thought, then smiled slightly, a tiny touch of mischief in her eyes. "That being said, please call me Bannister." The idea of the somewhat sleazy doctor calling her by her first name, for some reason, made her skin crawl. If he insisted, she'd deal with it. But it didn't hurt to set some boundaries.

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

[3]

Postby Jaykobell » 09/13/2017 2:02 PM

Oh, but what a cute one she was. "Ready to tackle anything," or so she said. "We'll see how much weight those words hold, sweetheart," he said as he scoffed quietly and shook his head; his reaction reeked of disbelief. It wasn't that Elliott enjoyed breaking the spirits of young nurses and doctors, but it was always such an exciting mystery. Just how long would this one last? They always assumed the psychiatric ward was filled with reserved patients who were a little weird, but harmless.

How naive.

"Do try to keep up, hm?" he said as he walked out of the station. He stretched out an arm to motion towards the hall, and he invited her to follow him. "Let's start with a little tour of my little friends here down this corridor; how about that?" he suggested, and it was questionable as to what the word "friends" really meant, here.

The first part of the morning - approximately two hours - Elliott showed Jennifer a number of patients they had here in the psych ward. The majority were people who were relatively sound of mind, but who had been judged dangerous for their own safety, or for the safety of others. They acted and sounded rather normal, even if some had a bit of a strange feel to them. A few others were seniors who were slowly falling into degenerative diseases like Alzheimer's and dementia; they were also all perfectly fine at first glance.

Those first hours had been fairly normal. The psych ward didn't have nearly as much staff as the other departments; it also did carry a somewhat eerie feel to it, but at first glance, the place looked tolerable enough. Overall, nothing too weird or too gross for a medical professional to handle.

Even Elliott's behavior during those hours had been fine; his interaction with the patients was seamless, proof that he had been working in that department for a very long time. He knew every patient by name, and he was kind enough to them, providing them with a friendly yet distant relationship. Even the weirdest ones they'd come across so far hadn't fazed him; he just smiled, gave them a pat on the back, played along with them. The same procedure applied to every patient, regardless of gender; probably a surprising fact considering the first impression he'd given Jennifer.

Two hours in, he put their tour on pause to see if Jennifer was keeping up. "I suppose this is a good start." He stopped by another station at the other end of the department, and he turned to Jennifer with a small, kind of mischievous smile. "Well? Your impressions so far, doctor Bannister?" Oh, she hadn't seen nothing yet. The fun part was yet to come. "How did you like my little friends?"
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 10/08/2017 2:17 PM

Jennifer had followed behind Elliot at a respectful distance. Whether it was self-respect or towards him was up in the air. The psych ward hadn't bothered her very much--she'd dealt with a few peers in her college time who'd gone through very troubling times, mentally and emotionally, but under the care of the hospital, many of these patients almost seemed perfectly healthy. The elderly patients were her favorite for sure, and she was actually somewhat impressed with Elliot's behavior. Whatever skeevy feeling she'd gotten earlier from him was lost when he spoke to the patients, though there was a certain practiced monotony to it. It was fine--it was business, she reminded herself. With so many patients, one had to have an air of roboticism, like an assembly line of kind words and assurances.

She seemed unfazed by his question and mischievous smile, instead giving him a smile back. Minus his condescending description of his patients, she'd been happy to meet them. "I think I like this place quite fine. Psychiatric care wasn't my focus, but that's one of the perks of having someone to teach me." She said this almost pointedly, fixing Elliot with an open, but expectant look on her face.

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

[4]

Postby Jaykobell » 10/08/2017 5:56 PM

Elliott raised an eyebrow when Jennifer said she quite liked the place. Well, well. Did she, now? Typically the newcomers got a little nervous even with that section of the psych ward simply because of how the majority of the patients didn't act "completely" normal. In general, people were scared of things that didn't fit in a pre-conceived "box". And that applied to almost everybody here.

"Well," he said, "isn't that good to hear." They did have a smaller work force here than anywhere else in the hospital. They always had; he didn't work crazy hours for the fun of it. They needed the labor to take care of these patients, and they never had enough. "I'd be happy to consider your permanent transfer here, then, if you're just so excited to be learning from yours truly," he said confidently, because he was the leader of this department. There was no question that he was the best one here.

"Well, now that we've taken a short break," — he straightened up and cracked his fingers — "time to get back to our little tour. You've seen our general patients, but up next is—"

He was interrupted by a loud noise right next to them. The sound of loud, heavy doors opening up suddenly and banging against the walls. A tall, lanky patient emerged, holding a plastic fork in his hand. He looked to be in high alert, looking around this way and that. "Hee!" he screeched in a high-pitched voice, and he was ready to run off; but then he froze when he noticed Elliott at the station. And when he did, he let out a loud high-pitched scream that was enough to make one's ears ring and send chills down one's spine.

The loud noise hadn't fazed Elliott, but it had certainly caught his attention. "Hello, Louis," he greeted the screeching patient, eyes scanning him calmly. "What have you got there, hm?"

The patient, Louis, stopped screaming when Elliott started talking to him. He stared with huge, almost bulging eyes. "A..." he started to say, "A knife," he answered, and his eyes darted this way and that. He didn't look dangerous, but those sporadic movements and those blood-curdling screams often made people second-guess that statement.

"Louis," Elliott said with a slightly harsher, tougher tone, "what did I say about taking things that don't belong to you?"

His question made Louis fidget and twitch more. "F-finders keepers!" he screeched defensively, clutching the fork in his hands. "Th-the nurse wasn't using it... so it's mine now!" The banter would've probably continued between the two if the attention hadn't suddenly turned to Jennifer.

Louis's bulging eyes turned and got fixated on Jennifer. With that look on his face, it was legitimately hard to tell what the patient was thinking. Was he going to lunge at her? Was he going to scream again? "Who..." He clutched the fork tighter, and his voice carried a small level of hysteria to it. "Who's this?!"

Elliott's concern was getting that plastic fork out of Louis's hands as smoothly as possible, but if Louis could get distracted by Jennifer long enough, the nurse who'd been watching over him in the back would probably have time to catch up to him. "Louis, this is a new doctor," Elliott introduced, motioning to Jennifer with a hand and glancing at her. "Her name is Jennifer Bannister," he added, and he turned just a little bit more to Jennifer. "Doctor Bannister, this is Louis, one of our patients."

Seeing how Jennifer would react to this would give him a good idea of how high her tolerance was. Would she feel like running, would she try to offer a hand shake, would she leave it all up to Elliott to handle? What an exciting mystery.
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 11/12/2017 4:29 AM

The words 'permanent transfer' did, admittedly, send a small nervous weight to the pit of Jennifer's stomach. "W-well, I wouldn't consider a permanent switch so soon. I'd much prefer to try my hand where I'm needed until I find the right fit for myself..." she trailed off, fixing him with a curious look, then offered a smile. "That being said, I'm sure you'd make a fine teacher."

She began to stand as well when the sharp sound hit her ears, and she straightened to attention, eyes wide as she saw the patient holding a fork. Her immediate thought was to move away from the man, to put distance between them, but instead looked to Elliott for guidance on the situation. He didn't seem perturbed, so she tried her best to stand her ground as well. Louis, huh... so he was a patient, for sure.

When this Louis fellow addressed Jennifer directly, she visibly started, her eyes widening as the took a small step back. She instinctively crossed her arms over her chest and gave him a nervous, too-wide smile. "Hi there!" she chirped, voice a little bit strained. "I'm new here, yeah. Just learning the ropes... and Elliott here," she began, praying it was okay to call him that, because nothing else popped up properly in her brain, especially not that surname that she was apparently forbidden to say, "is giving me a great tour of your place!"

She paused for a few beats, then uncrossed her arms and instead gave Louis a polite nod. "It's nice to meet you, Louis." She wasn't sure she could manage a handshake--and also figured it wasn't the best idea.

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

[5]

Postby Jaykobell » 11/12/2017 5:12 PM

"A fine teacher"... Elliott held on to those words as he watched Jennifer's reaction to meeting Louis. She certainly looked nervous, and honestly, he couldn't help but to revel in it. People liked to say they were open and understanding, but their tune switched in a heartbeat the moment they met someone who didn't fit their definition of "normal". Most of all, he just enjoyed being proved right.

All things considered, though, Jennifer was handling the situation well enough, for her first time; he could give her that much. Some people just stared in complete silence, and others had actually tried to hide behind Elliott. The latter ones didn't get much further on the tour.

The cheery answers given by Jennifer seemingly had no effect on Louis initially, as the patient continued to stare intensely at her while clutching onto that plastic fork for dear life. Eventually, though, he made a soft, high-pitched noise. "Jennifer," he repeated the name quietly, and in his overall demeanor, it was almost like he was speaking out a forbidden word, whispering it. "O-okay," he said, and he seemed to calm down and let down his defenses just a bit. "J-just don't take my knife from me!" Perhaps his way of saying, "nice to meet you too"?

The two were making fast progress becoming good friends, Elliott thought, but it was also important for them to make sure they got that plastic utensil out of Louis's hands. Where was that nurse? Louis was notorious for being a kleptomaniac, and she'd left him unsupervised? Situations like this one was why Elliott worked crazy hours all the time; they were already short-staffed, and some of the staff they did have wasn't as competent as they could be. It was infuriating.

"She does need to take it, Louis," Elliott said at a certain point, and the difference was obvious as Louis put his defenses up again. "We've talked about this." He knew how to get Louis to give up items, but seeing Jennifer's handling of the situation was too good for him to pass up. "Doctor Bannister, please," he invited, motioning for Jennifer to go on and to try and deal with the situation at hand.
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 12/29/2017 2:59 PM

Jennifer seemed to visibly relax as soon as he repeated her name and uncoiled himself from his protective stance. For a few seconds she thought, yes, it's fine to let him have that fork and she had absolutely no issue in letting him keep it. But then Elliott spoke her reconsideration into existence that, no, she definitely needed to get it from him.

Wait, why her?!

She winced internally as Louis went on the defensive again, but she tried to smile at the man encouragingly. She glanced at Elliott, then at Louis, and took a cautious step forward, still keeping close enough to Elliott. "Um," she began eloquently, grinning and waving slightly at Louis. "Yeeeah, I definitely would love to take that, uh--knife, from you. It's pretty dangerous. If you give it to me, I'll keep it very safe, and make sure nothing happens to it. What do you say?" she asked, the hand that had waved slowly extending, palm up.

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

[6]

Postby Jaykobell » 12/30/2017 5:04 AM

He waited patiently after instructing Jennifer to go on, offering only a mischievous, expecting smile when she glanced at him. It was important for any new doctor in the ward to familiarize themselves with their patients — who was he to take away that wonderful, beautiful experience away from Jennifer?

At first, it looked like Louis had no intention of giving up the knife. Finders keepers. But then, Jennifer spoke to him with a gentle voice, and her gestures were inviting, yet soft. Yes. Yes, perhaps he could trust her with his knife. She would return it, right? That's what she was saying, right? Yes. Yes. That was exactly what she was saying.

He stared at her for a while. She outstretched her hand, revealing her palm. He stared at that, too. And then he stared back up at her, and without breaking eye-contact, he lifted the knife — or the fork, as it actually, really was — and he swung down, the four prickly teeth of the fork heading straight for Jennifer's open palm.

Having expected as much, Elliott moved in fast. He got in-between the two of them and reached out so he could cover the blow before Louis got to sink that fork into Jennifer's hand. With that speed and force, Louis hadn't been able to stop, either, effectively stabbing Elliott's palm instead. He didn't outwardly react, but it did sting. That was nothing new, though.

The intervention sent Louis screeching at the top of his lungs. "Louis!" Elliott tried to call out over the scream, but in vain. Leaving Jennifer to her own devices would have maintained Louis's mood, but then the girl would've ended up with a fork in her hand. The ceaseless screeching, though, was definitely a problem, but one with an answer.

Elliott raised his hand and snapped his fingers. Although the noise had barely been audible through Louis's screeching, he had definitely heard it; and it made him clam up almost immediately, eyes bulging out with unfiltered terror. "G... G..." he stammered, before finally screaming, "Gunshot!"

In a heartbeat, the scene went from blood-curdling screams to complete silence, just about. With Louis stunned — the patient clutching himself to his shoulders and staring off into space in terror — Elliott got to pull out the fork that had impaled his hand. It took but the smallest bit of strength to pull it out, leaving but tiny red spots in his palm where the teeth had landed. Of course, he'd never had any intentions of keeping the fork, and so the utensil got thrown right into the garbage can the moment it was pulled out of Elliott's hand.

"Not bad," he complimented Jennifer passively as he turned back to her. "That was a good approach." After that tantrum, though, he was curious to see her reaction and hear her thoughts. Louis was considered harmless, if highly unpredictable.
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 02/08/2018 3:44 AM

Yes, yes--it looked like Louis was not only cooperating, but making some sort of trust connection with Jennifer. She couldn't stop herself from smiling as the man seemed to settle, and lift the fork, presumably to hand it over...

Everything happened so quickly. Jennifer squeaked the moment Elliott leapt into her space, combined with the sight of the fork coming down lightning-quick, and that squeak matured into a full-grown choked cry of fear as the knife plunged Elliott's hand. Suddenly, Jennifer's scream didn't seem so bad. She instinctively moved away, her hands hovering over her ears, knowing she should observe Elliott's practice but wanting so desperately to cover them. She found herself flinching as Elliott's hand raised in the air, and her ears rang loudly once Louis' scream was abruptly ceased. What was that...? Gunshot, he'd said...?

She found herself staring at Louis, almost unblinking, but the movement from Elliott in the corner of her eye made her glance over at him just as the fork was wrenched out of his hand. She felt sick to her stomach, suddenly, but she swallowed it down and let out a slow, long breath, as silently as she could. "Ouch," she murmured in sympathy, staring at the holes in Elliott's hand with a knit to her brow. Her fingers twitched, as if to reach out and grab the man's hand to get a better look at it, but she was a bit too startled to ask permission, or even attempt it without permission. "You should definitely get that cleaned..." she whispered, stealing a glance over to Louis as she moved closer to Elliott and attempted to get a better look at his hand. Blood, she could handle. Injury, she was familiar with. She had power over that--not over whatever thing was tormenting Louis.

At Elliott's words, she lifted her head to meet his eyes, starting to smile--but it felt wrong to, with Louis still standing there. "Nevermind that," she murmured, feeling she should approach the man, but her feet felt rooted to the floor, slightly behind Elliott. She felt terrible, wanting to use the other doctor as a shield. It was instinct. "Will Louis be alright? A-and your hand? I'm terribly sorry if I caused any of this."

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

[7]

Postby Jaykobell » 02/15/2018 10:09 AM

Getting things impaled in his hands -- or in other places, honestly -- was a common occurrence for Elliott. After almost twenty years of this, such small mishaps didn't phase him anymore.

Jennifer, though, had clearly been startled by this whole event. She stayed behind him now, ever so slightly, and even just the way she was eyeing Louis like that. Or his hand. The latter earned her a flat, dry expression from him. "It was a plastic fork, doctor Bannister," he pointed out, and with a voice that an unimpressed teacher would use with a disappointing student. "We're going to have a problem if this upsets you," he said bluntly, but if anything, it was for her sake. Patients had physically hurt him before, including pushing him into walls and cutting him with sharp objects that they sometimes managed to get a hold of. If the tiny holes of a plastic fork made Jennifer this concerned, it would only be a matter of time until she fainted.

"He'll be fine," Elliott went on to say when she asked about Louis. "You didn't do anything," he assured her. "He fought in the military. Lost his whole family to a civil war, and after his deployment, was never the same since," he told, speaking out what almost sounded like a story from a book. "It's in his file," he added.

In the midst of all this -- with Louis still frozen there, completely stunned -- the nurse who had been watching over him finally appeared. "Louis?" she called out, and she, too, froze in place when she saw Elliott there. His eyes narrowed and his face hardened, and she felt her heart stop.

"N-now, Louis," she said as she quickly approached the patient, hovering her hands just over his shoulders, to avoid frightening him. "We've talked about running off during lunchtime, didn't we?" she reminded him.

"G... G..." Louis mumbled before finally screeching, "There was a gunshot!" at the top of his lungs.

"A gunshot?" the nurse repeated, and instinctively, she turned to Elliott. Which, in and of itself, quickly proved itself to be a mistake.

"Maybe if you had been paying actual attention to him," Elliott said, and his voice was authoritative, but if not borderline angry, "I wouldn't have triggered him," he pointed out, and there wasn't a single hint of sympathy in his voice.

The nurse knew better than to try to find an excuse or to justify what had happened. She swallowed hard, and she turned back to Louis. "Come on now, Louis," she said gently, "let's go back to eat, all right? There are no firearms, I promise," she said, and she continued to speak to him as she guided him down the other hallway, holding his shoulders.

Even once they were gone, Elliott's face refused to relax. Instead, he took a deep breath and sighed, rubbing the bridge of his nose and running a hand over his face. He'd had to take off his glasses for a second, of course, but they quickly found their way back once he was done getting over the fact he worked with complete idiots. "Well," he said quietly, and he turned back to Jennifer, "welcome to the other part of the ward. This is where we keep the patients with severe conditions," he explained, and he looked at her curiously. "But I wonder if you can even handle it now," he mused, but still leaving his comment open-ended. It wasn't too late for her to run and go back to the normalcy of what was the rest of the hospital.
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate