A city of white and silver, doctors from all over the world come to converge here and find work. Hospitals of all kinds decorate the white walkways of the city. There are many notable ones you can visit if your pet is in need of some attention. (+3 Precision)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Medicai City

Re: Vanilla Twilight [L]

Postby Skylark » 10/09/2017 9:41 PM

"I know." Kadin said with a frown, not liking how Nox suddenly seemed embarrassed by what was supposed to be gentle teasing, but now just felt... mean. He didn't have any problem with being an asshole, it was part of who he was, but he hadn't intended to hurt Nox. He was, after all, his friend. "It's fine. Red's more my color, anyway." Or so he's been told.

His concern only grew as Nox started putting down the ring he'd just given him. Despite how dense he could be about shit like this, something told Kadin that this ring meant more to Nox than he was letting on. He looked at the jewelry again, eyeing the delicate feathers the metal had been shaped into and the yellow stone. This... wasn't something that was a simple weekend project. Kadin had never seen metal like this before and even his inexpert eye could tell it wasn't simply painted. The stone, too, looked like it was worth something, but he was less confident in his appraisal of shiny things. Even plastic could look shiny.

"I like it." Kadin finally spoke up, looking up at Nox with determination before glancing back down at the ring, eyes widening slightly when he spotted the inscription before filing that away to examine later. Instead of making a bigger deal about it, he slipped the ring on quickly, somehow unsurprised that it ended up being a perfect fit.

Kadin wasn't great at this whole friendship thing, but he had a feeling this ring meant more to Nox than just a gift he pick out on a whim. He'd admitted to making it. There was no way he could have known what Kadin would end up wearing today so he must have been carrying it around, too. This was... this was too much for Kadin to process right now.

So, true to form, Kadin shoved down all of his swirling thoughts and bumped his shoulder into Nox's, looking away into the moving masses of people out enjoying the fair. "Where do you wanna go next?"
ImageImageImage
Because when I arrive
I, I'll bring the fire
Make you come alive
I can take you higher
What this is, forgot?
I must now remind you
Let It Rock
Let It Rock
Let It Rock
Skylark
Master Pet Tamer
Master Pet Tamer
Pets | Items
Keystones: 5
Donate

Postby Night » 10/09/2017 10:22 PM

He was thankful that Kadin was willing to let this drop. He pushed his shoulder into Kadin's and was tempted to grab his hand, hold onto him and keep him there. Everything felt strangely impermanent, prepared to slip through his fingers any moment. Every time he displayed this kind of affection he was sure that he was going to fuck things up irrevocably. He allowed his fingers to brush against Kadin's for just a moment before straightening himself.

"I'm glad you like it." He followed suit, glancing around and trying to figure out what to do. "Well, I know they have a big show over at the castle in about ten minutes. Why don't we start there?" He'd intended to take Kadin to lunch, but they'd wasted a bit more time finding him something to wear than he'd expected. Plus, he was excited to show Kadin the show - it had been what he'd invited him here for, after all.

Nox pointed towards the castle, gesturing for Kadin to follow him. It was a trick to get through the masses, and the closer they got to the massive brick building the louder it became. Pretty soon he was squeezing through the tightly packed bodies only by turning sideways. When he felt as though they had a sufficient view he paused and turned to face Kadin. They had to lean close to hear one another in the dense crowd. His "Here should be good." was drowned out by the leathery flap of gigantic wings as a black monstrosity soared over their heads. A dragon, easily twice the size of Glitch and perhaps even larger than Axel soared over their heads, a wave of fire rolling from its maw and onto the castle.

Those in the crowd that had never seen the show screamed, ducking and moving as though to run for cover. An alarm sounded somewhere in the midst of the fair, signaling the start of the show. Knights dressed in thick plate armor poured from the castle gates, aiming bows and arrows. The dragon, undeterred, landed on top of the highest tower and screeched, the high sound echoing through the area. Nox remained still, watching Kadin's face for a reaction.
Night
I have no life.
I have no life.
Pets | Items
Keystones: 511
Donate
Location: Come to Crystal Palace on Forbidden Mountain in next 25 mins if you want to fight

Postby Skylark » 10/10/2017 7:01 PM

Kadin's hand twitched as Nox's brushed against it. He wasn't sure what instinct had been telling him to do at that moment, but he brushed the thoughts aside in favor of nodded at his friend and letting him lead the way through the crowds of people. This time, Kadin didn't hesitate to grab onto the back of Nox's shirt, keeping a tight hold on that or, when he was rudely shoved aside, his shoulder so that he wouldn't lose him through the crowd. Kadin might have had a few inches on Nox, but Nox was easily lost when he started being surrounded by bodies from all directions.

Honestly, hand-holding in this situation might not have been a bad idea.

It was a relief once they stopped. All of the bodies pressing in against him was making Kadin feel pretty on edge. It was just too easy for something to go wrong in such a crowded space. He leaded closer, hand still on Nox's shoulder, when he started talking to him, but was quickly distracted by roaring followed by screaming from the crowd.

Kadin's hand tightened on Nox's shoulder, his eyes narrowing at the massive dragon flying overhead. As to be expected, a frown was clear on his face, but for some reason he didn't seem panicked like most of the crowd. Wild dragons around these parts were few and far between, for one, and Kadin knew enough that they tended to go after stragglers, not buildings. He shifted closer to Nox, eyes never leaving the scene as he pressed up against him thanks to the crowed, and leaned down to ask in his ear so that he'd hopefully hear him, "Do you know that dragon?"

Nox was, after all, the resident crazy dragon man.
ImageImageImage
Because when I arrive
I, I'll bring the fire
Make you come alive
I can take you higher
What this is, forgot?
I must now remind you
Let It Rock
Let It Rock
Let It Rock
Skylark
Master Pet Tamer
Master Pet Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Night » 10/10/2017 8:51 PM

Nox shifted until he was able to work his hand up to his shoulder without hitting anyone, curling his finger's over Kadin's to stop them digging into his shoulder. The logical part of his brain, as admittedly small as some would argue it may be, told him that this wasn't really the true equivalent of holding hands. The part of him that wanted it to be said that it very much was. He didn't let go, turning around so that they were facing one another. They were so close, practically chest to chest. Nox had to look up to look Kadin in the eyes, though admittedly his gaze got stuck somewhere around his mouth instead. It would be easy to just lean up and kiss him, pull him closer and minimize the already infinitesimal space between them.

"One of the ones I train," He said, instead of doing any of that. His hand tightened around Kadin's, suddenly nervous he would pull away. "He looks mean, but he's a sweetheart really." Not unlike someone else he knew. Not that he would ever... ya know... say anything about it. Kadin wasn't precisely the most open to compliments, and was it necessarily a compliment anyway? Nox was beginning to suspect his perception was skewed.

He gave Kadin a sheepish grin. "I just like coming to watch the show and seeing people freak out." He admitted, leaning closer so that Kadin could hear him. The fight behind him was growing ever more "frantic," those dressed as knights below making their best effort to slay the beast attacking the castle. Shingles slid down from the second tower as the dragon climbed it, screeching and flaring it's wings, blazing fire into the sky just enough above the building and its occupants to not do any damage. He really was proud of this one - it had taken months to get right, and they may have had to rebuild the castle more than once to get it just right. All in all, he thought it turned out pretty well.
Night
I have no life.
I have no life.
Pets | Items
Donate
Location: Come to Crystal Palace on Forbidden Mountain in next 25 mins if you want to fight

Postby Skylark » 10/11/2017 8:58 PM

Kadin wasn't surprised when Nox grabbed his hand to get it off his shoulder. They weren't moving anymore and he was probably making Nox uncomfortable by holding onto him like that. What did surprise him a little bit was when Nox took his hand and then... didn't let go. Were they holding hands now? No it... couldn't be that. It must be that this was just an easier way to keep them from being separated in the crowd. Nox wasn't trying to hold his hand... he was just offering an alternative to grabbing his clothes or shoulder whenever they were in danger of being separated. ...Right. There was absolutely no reason for hand-holding here. Just like how that ring meant nothing. ...Right.

Just like how Nox wasn't staring at his mouth when he looked down from the dragon to see what Nox had to say next. He'd just been looking up at him. The crowd was louder than ever so Kadin had to duck his head lower to hear what Nox was saying, a slight smile crossing his face when Nox called the giant flaming beast a 'sweetheart'.

"He sure doesn't look like one now." Kadin said back, looking back towards the dragon. It was kind of inspiration to watch, in a sense. The way the beast commanded it's flame with such accuracy, clearly well practice. The dragon was the star of the show, all eyes were on it. Or, at least they should be, in Kadin's perspective. He didn't even feel like glancing at the knights, not with the show the dragon was working so hard to put on for them. "He's really good at this. You did an great job with him."
ImageImageImage
Because when I arrive
I, I'll bring the fire
Make you come alive
I can take you higher
What this is, forgot?
I must now remind you
Let It Rock
Let It Rock
Let It Rock
Skylark
Master Pet Tamer
Master Pet Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Night » 10/11/2017 9:40 PM

Kadin was leaning down towards him and... was he going to kiss him? Surely not, there wasn't any preamble whatsoever. Kadin didn't even like him like that. Still, he was getting closer, and he was almost just right there, and -

Nox cleared his throat when Kadin started speaking, trying not to look disappointed. Right, the dragon. He nodded, thumb tracing subconsciously over the tiny details of the ring on Kadin's finger. "Thank you!" As often as he had done this, it never ceased to surprise him when people appreciated his work. He wasn't going to sit and analyze the way that the compliment meant a bit more to him than it usually would. He had already embarrassed himself more than enough for one day.

The show was winding down, finishing with a climatic scene of the dragon being "slain" by the knights and going still. It was his favorite part. It was not easy to convince a dragon to remain completely still and play dead, and looking back on it he was sure he had grey hairs over it to this day.

The crowd was shifting around them, pushing him closer against the taller male's chest. "What do you want to do now? They have a decent restaurant if you're hungry, or... I mean, I understand if you have to go." How long had they been here? Time seemed to pass so quickly when Kadin was around. "Or we could go back to my place and I can kick your ass at Guitar Hero?" He shot Kadin a lopsided grin, almost having to lean his head completely back to see his face at all.
Night
I have no life.
I have no life.
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Skylark » 10/14/2017 10:12 PM

Kadin kept his hand carefully still, despite how he felt Nox stroking his ring, despite how the surrounding air was getting hotter and hotter, clearly because of the tight crowd and not because Nox was holding his hand and not letting go. Not letting go and he kept touching the ring that he'd given him that he kept saying meant nothing. Because if he'd said so. If he said so it meant nothing. Right?

A small, brief smile flashed across his face as Nox said thank you, quickly hidden as he turned his head to the side, away and back to the show. It wound down spectacularly, of course, with the dragon having a dramatic 'death' and laying still for a time while the 'knights' paraded around in their victory. It made Kadin wanted to roll his eyes, but he watched it without sarcasm. He wondered if they ever did shows where the dragon won.

"I could eat." Kadin said, looking down at Nox once he got his head back on straight. "If you'll let me pay for myself this time." He added on as an afterthought. Nox kept paying for him over and over again, he'd already bought him his entire outfit today. He wouldn't be able to justify letting Nox pay for his dinner, too. As long as they went somewhere that wasn't too pricey, it should be fine.
ImageImageImage
Because when I arrive
I, I'll bring the fire
Make you come alive
I can take you higher
What this is, forgot?
I must now remind you
Let It Rock
Let It Rock
Let It Rock
Skylark
Master Pet Tamer
Master Pet Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Night » 10/14/2017 11:49 PM

Nox noticed the little smile that Kadin tried to hide, his own lost somewhere near Kadin's chest as he looked down. The crowd was dispersing rapidly now that the show had ended, leaving only a few stragglers. He pretended not to notice for a moment, staying where he was and just letting himself enjoy the intimacy of being pressed close together and just talking.

He was playing this fast and loose. There was a reckless abandon to his actions and he was more than aware he should be approaching this with more caution. He was just caught up in the moment, willing to let it sweep him away for as long as he could get away with. He stowed this memory away for a rainy day and reluctantly pulled away, but didn't let Kadin's hand go. They were going to need to go back through the crowd to get to the restaurant anyway, so why bother? It at least had a legitimate excuse, which was more than he'd had for the majority of his time spent today.

He wavered but caved easily when Kadin asked to pay for his own meal. It wasn't the end of the world, even if it did kind of break the illusion that this was a date. "I'll let you pay for yourself if you let me pay next time without complaining." He hedged. He knew that Kadin wasn't precisely the most well off man in town - mainly because, in all honesty, Nox probably had that title. He also had little else to spend his fortune on, and even under the guise of friendship he was willing to spend it on Kadin. If he thought he would accept it he would have done far more for the guy already.

"Come on, I'll show you where it is." He pulled at Kadin's hand, dragging him off through the crowd and towards the restaurant. It wasn't precisely the most upscale of places, but it served period accurate food that was pretty decent. He stopped near the front, waiting to be seated. He turned ask Kadin where he would prefer to sit but stopped when he saw a familiar face.

"Trevor?" His smile grew wider, slipping his fingers from around Kadin's and throwing his arm around a dark-haired man nearby. This was met with equal fervor, the taller man (was it really difficult to be taller than Nox?) wrapping his arms around Nox's waist and lifting him into a hug. "What are you doing over here? Shouldn't you be helping them reset the show?"

The new man - Trevor, evidentially - was grinning broadly as he settled Nox back on the floor. "I came over to see if the restaurant had gotten our meat shipment by accident. Dragons don't feed themselves unfortunately." His eyes scanned over the shorter male, clearly appreciating the view. "You're looking well. Came to see the show?"

Nox seemed unaware of the attention, turning to motion Kadin over. "Yeah! I brought Kadin here to come see our 'nasty beast' put on a show." He looked up at Kadin, fiddling with his lip ring from unconscious habit. "He'd never seen it before."
Night
I have no life.
I have no life.
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Skylark » 10/15/2017 1:21 AM

"Let me pay for myself." Kadin scoffed, as if paying for his own meal was a special permission he needed to obtain from Nox. That wasn't how these things tended to work, but he'd let it slide for now. "We'll see." Is all he said in response to Nox paying next time. For all he knew, the next time they ate together would be at the coffee shop, where Nox would have to pay anyway. As for the next time they ate out or ordered in? Well. They'd see. He wasn't going to make any promises that he'd probably want to argue his way out of later.

Kadin couldn't help but note that Nox didn't let go of his hand this time. It was much easier to navigate the crowd like this than it had been before, which he appreciated. He also wasn't complaining that they were still holding hands. It was... nice. He wasn't used to being so close (physically or otherwise) to another person, so it was something to get used to, but it was still... nice. To stick together like this.

Said hand holding came to a quick end once Nox saw some ... friend? of his.

Something tightened in Kadin's chest when Nox left him so quickly to run through the crowd and literally leap into the arms of another man. His frown was back in place, deepening as he watched Trevor obvious check out Nox, although Nox seemed completely oblivious to it, which was rich because it was so obvious. Kadin crossed his arms and contemplated whether it would be worth walking up to them or if he should just wait back here for Nox and Trevor to finish catching up. He wasn't the most social of people on a good day and he wasn't really in the mood to go about making more 'friends'. ...In fact, if they wanted to hang out instead, it might be better if he just left entirely. Clearly he'd only get in the way.

He was pulled from his quickly-descending-into-brooding thoughts by Nox calling his name. Frown still in place, Kadin made his way closer to the pair, eyes moving between Nox to Trevor and back again, annoyed at seeing Nox playing with his lip ring again. Maybe he had noticed the attention. Was he nervous about something?

He was probably supposed to say something at this point. They'd likely blown past the acceptable window of time for him to put himself into the conversation, but he didn't see the point in exchanging empty platitudes just because this was some guy that Nox apparently knew. Fuck. That made him a shitty friend, didn't it? He wasn't allowed to be a dick to Nox's other friends, even if they checked him out right in the middle of a freaking restaurant and were so exciting to see that Nox ran to them without a second thought. Damn. He was a piece of shit.

"Yeah." Kadin said, attempting to stop frowning and looking like someone had just killed his puppy. It wasn't really working. "It was a good show." This is why he didn't make friends. He was so shit at being a person to begin with.
ImageImageImage
Because when I arrive
I, I'll bring the fire
Make you come alive
I can take you higher
What this is, forgot?
I must now remind you
Let It Rock
Let It Rock
Let It Rock
Skylark
Master Pet Tamer
Master Pet Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Night » 10/15/2017 6:51 PM

Nox laughed. "Yep, I'll let you. It's a an honor, really." He winked at him, the whites of his pupils sparkling.

His joy quickly died when Kadin approached their makeshift reunion, eagerness to introduce Kadin to his friend giving quickly to concern. Was Kadin sick all of the sudden? Just not feeling up to socializing? Nox tilted his head slightly in silent question as Trevor picked up the belated conversation.

"Yeah. Zathym is a beaut, isn't he?" His hand came down to pat Nox's shoulder. He left it resting there, seemingly idle but strangely possessive. "Nox here did a good job on him. I don't know what we would have done without him. That's the star of our show here!" Trevor turned his unending smile down on the smaller man.

"I mean, I didn't do it completely on my own. I had help and you know it. You spent almost as much time with him as I did." Nox replied, still pensive. He pushed the ring in his lip upwards with his teeth. He hadn't seen Kadin act like this since Nox had barged into the coffee shop and spilled his drink all over him. Not the most polite of introductions, perhaps, but Nox was still counting it as a good day. He'd gotten Kadin out of the deal.

"I was about to head back over to the keep and settle him for the next show if you wanted to pay a visit." Trevor didn't seem to be including Kadin in the invitation, his body angling away while his hand remained on Nox's person.

Nox hesitated; while he always loved to visit his past projects (or any dragon, really), he was getting the distinct impression that Kadin wasn't enjoying their conversation. Maybe he was just hungry? They had already agreed to lunch, and honestly it was a much more intriguing prospect. Lunch. With Kadin.

"Not this time. We were about to sit down for lunch, actually. I'll swing by some other time and bring him some treats." He hedged, finally removing his attention from Kadin and slipping himself out of Trevor's grasp. "I'll have to take a rain check on this one."

The newcomer looked disappointed by this development, but caved easily. He bent to pick up a heavy looking crate at the base of the counter, nodding to them each in turn. "I'll be seeing you around then. Nox." He sent a  cheesy grin in the dark haired male's direction which quickly fell as he gave a half-ass acknowledgement in Kadin's direction. He pressed out the door, maneuvering easily through the crowd as people parted to get out of the way.

Nox twined his fingers back through Kadin's, a soft smile gracing his countenance. He gave them a squeeze before reluctantly pulling away. "Hungry?" As though they hadn't already had this discussion. He was willing to start over on this leg of their daily adventure if it meant Kadin stopped looking like Arc when he'd had his tail stepped on. The waitress, a heavy set woman in a low cut medieval style dress, showed them to their table.

Seated, Nox rested his elbows on the table and quirked his eyebrows. "Everything alright, dude?"
Night
I have no life.
I have no life.
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Skylark » 10/22/2017 7:06 PM

Kadin couldn't pin down the source of his bad mood until Nox's other friend put a possessive hand on Nox's shoulder and, all of a sudden, it was the only thing Kadin could focus on. Something dark and ugly rolled over in Kadin's gut, the temperature in his immediate surroundings rising by several degrees. Ice melted more quickly than it should in the water glasses nearby, cold beer turned warm, and Kadin eyed that hand that tried to lay a claim on Nox as if the owner had come into his coffee shop and took a dump on the counter.

"Yeah." Kadin said, a couple beats too late. All semblance of social graces seemed to have left him when he was overtaken by this surprising wave of jealousy, "Nox does good work." His eyes flicked from Trevor's hand, to Trevor and Nox, and back again before finally settling on Nox himself.

Nox was clearly uncomfortable with how Kadin was behaving, he could see that. He was either fine with or oblivious about the attention Trevor was giving him, too. Nox never saw his own value, even when his friends were trying to convince him of it and the evidence had just been lighting up the air with spouts of fire. Kadin tried to take deep, even breathes to get a rein on the unexpected twist of emotions that he was letting ruin absolutely everything because he was such a shitty friend. If Nox was even the slightest bit interested in this guy he'd never realize it if all his attention was on Kadin. A small, selfish part of him whispered good at that thought, but he squashed it down savagely because he was supposed to be Nox's friend and friends are supposed to be supportive.

Supportive his ass. The candles from a historically accurate chandelier flared up several more inches than they should as Trevor clearly tried to get Nox alone with him. Kadin held himself carefully still, although his face probably screamed out how pissed he was getting. This was none of his business. He should not impede Nox's friendship with this random dickwad who wanted to bone him. So he kept quiet while Nox carefully turned Trevor down and focused his attention back entirely on him.

All he could feel was relief once Trevor exited the restaurant. That twisting rage of jealously slowly left his system, the room returning to normal from the largely unnoticed anomalies that happened around them. Guilt peppered with embarrassment quickly replaced jealousy as Nox squeezed his hand and they were shown to the table.

"Yeah." Kadin said, too quickly, "Everything's fine. I'm just hungry."

It was a weak excuse at best and Kadin knew it. He was self aware enough to know that the emotion he'd been feeling had been unbridled jealousy, but he had no idea where that jealousy had come from. It shouldn't bother him if a friend of Nox's wanted to be more than friends. It shouldn't bother him if Nox was close with other guys, especially guys who wanted to be more than friends with him. It shouldn't even bother him to think of Nox dating, despite this line of thought bothering Kadin right now.

What was wrong with him. There was no reason for him to be acting so jealous of someone else wanting Nox's attention unless he wanted to stupidly keep that attention all for himself! And he shouldn't feel that way, he shouldn't be so selfish an insecure of his relationship with Nox since they were friends and he wanted Nox to be happy and having more friends or even a boyfriend would make Nox happy. There was absolutely no reason for him to be so jealous until he was jealous because of the type of attention Nox at been getting and that wouldn't make sense unless... unless.

........................... unless.

No. There was no way.

Kadin froze in shock, color draining from his face. There was no way.
ImageImageImage
Because when I arrive
I, I'll bring the fire
Make you come alive
I can take you higher
What this is, forgot?
I must now remind you
Let It Rock
Let It Rock
Let It Rock
Skylark
Master Pet Tamer