The waters of the Rewhister Ocean have tempted many a traveler, as from the shore they seem docile and inviting. Upon reaching around 100 km from shore though, the sea floor drops greatly and waters are often violent. Sailors fear the horrors that may lurk below. (+2 stat of choice)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Rewhister Ocean

Re: Ex-cavations [Self][Mature]

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 01/20/2021 11:52 AM

The grizzled, skinny male behind the counter dangled a cigarette from between his lips, and Iilanthys wondered how he hadn't already set his moustache and beard on fire. He strode towards him, glancing at the photos on the walls of the previous work done by the studio, and cleared his throat, anxious of what lay ahead but secure in the decision that would hopefully fix his problem.
"I remember who I was, who I've always been. Sometimes I forget I'm not that person any more."

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Keystones: 2201
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 01/20/2021 11:54 AM

"Save yer breath, sonny - I don't do young'ins who want to prove how tough they are" the wheezy growl of the shopkeeper cut through Iilanthys' anxiety, and his temper reared it's head.

"What the hell gives you the right to speak to a customer like that?" he snarled, head high and eyes blazing with fury.
"I remember who I was, who I've always been. Sometimes I forget I'm not that person any more."

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 01/20/2021 11:56 AM

The old man grunted, but closed his book, eyes alight with interest. As Iilanthys stepped closer, recognition dawned. "Ah, apologies - you look like a young pup who keeps sniffing around. What can I do for you?"

Iilanthys stepped closer, and caught sight of himself in the mirror, noticing the thinness of his face compared to how he used to look.

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 01/20/2021 11:58 AM

He scowled, and met the curious eyes of the shopkeeper.

"I'm sure you've noticed I'm limping, and looking a bit thin - tell me, have you worked with diving injuries before?" He tilted his head forward, and the old man pulled out his cigarette and stubbed it out in an ash tray on the counter, before leaning forward with interest.

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 01/20/2021 11:59 AM

"Aye, I've worked with a fair few before - mighty hard to tattoo, scar flesh, but it can be done." The old man looked at him, as if sizing him up. "I take it you've lost weight since the injury too, sonny - been in the hospital? You're not the first who came to my door after being discharged."

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 01/20/2021 12:01 PM

The old man's tone was kinder than he had spoken before, but Iilanthys still bristled under the scrutiny.

"Something wrapped itself around my leg and dragged me down - I managed to get free, but the Captain stitched me up and it was two days before we made it to Port and medical aid. It's scarred, and I'd like it covered over" muttered Iilanthys, forcing himself to meet the shopkeeper's eyes.

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 01/20/2021 12:03 PM

He bristled again as the shopkeeper raised an eyebrow. "Only an idiot goes on an expedition without a Doctor" he growled, and Iilanthys snarled in response, causing the other eyebrow to be raised.

"We lost the Doctor - his brother was part of the team, and when the kid didn't come up he dived in to look for him." He stopped himself, grimacing at the memory of the two good men, lost in the depths.

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 01/20/2021 12:04 PM

The grizzled old man softened his expression, and nodded his head. "The sea takes" he wheezed softly, and Iilanthys snorted and nodded, recognising it for the apology it was meant to be. "Show me."

At his command, Iilanthys raised his own eyebrow, and shrugged off his coat, dropping it onto the chair behind him which leaned against the wall under the picture of the sailor with the anchor spreading over his chest.

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 01/20/2021 12:06 PM

He began rolling up his trouser leg to expose the knotted flesh, and the shopkeeper's eyes winced as he saw the trailing, cris-crossing scars that ran to his knee.

The old man stood, bones creaking as he stretched, and came around the counter to stand beside Iilanthys and examine his leg more closely, prodding at a particularly thick scar.

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 01/20/2021 12:08 PM

"I cannot cover the damage" he murmured, sorrow evident in his voice, and Iilanthys frowned and closed his eyes. "However", he continued, "I can turn it into a pattern - colour it, extend it, make it a part of you so it doesn't stand out. Hide it in plain sight, as it were." The old man crouched down, examining the leg, and Iilanthys watched him, wondering what he would suggest.

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 01/20/2021 12:09 PM

At last, the old man stood and nodded to him, and Iilanthys pulled his trouser leg down so it was once again covering the mass of twisted flesh. He watched as the old man hobbled behind the counter, and pulled out a photo album, setting it onto the counter and opening it to flick through the pages.

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 01/20/2021 12:11 PM

Iilanthys waited, breathing through his nose to keep calm, as the old man searched through his photos, some black and white, some in colour but always focused on his work.

At last, he laid the album open and pushed it towards Iilanthys, pointing at a photo of a young male with twisting bright colours across his face, back and legs.

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 01/20/2021 12:13 PM

"That was his natural pattern" the old man wheezed, voice filled with pride. "He had been injured, like you, and wanted it replicated."

He glanced down at Iilanthys' leg, and his eyes sparked with anticipation. "I can replicate that pattern on you - a full body marking, striping down over your own markings, dying the skin so your fur will carry the marking on."

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 01/20/2021 12:15 PM

Iilanthys' eyes widened in shock, and he sat down on the stool in front of the counter. "A whole new marking? Layered on top of my own?"

"Aye, well, it wouldn't come cheap, but if what you were looking for was a cover-up this would do it." The old man sat back and lit another cigarette, and gave Iilanthys time to think.

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 01/20/2021 12:16 PM

"Two" he said, after a short while staring at the images, and the old man raised his eyebrow.

"I would like two markings added" Iilanthys said louder, stronger, and looked up to meed the amused eyes of the old man who stared at him like he had just proposed madness, or an expedition to the centre of a volcano.

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

PreviousNext