The waters of the Rewhister Ocean have tempted many a traveler, as from the shore they seem docile and inviting. Upon reaching around 100 km from shore though, the sea floor drops greatly and waters are often violent. Sailors fear the horrors that may lurk below. (+2 stat of choice)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Rewhister Ocean

Canny Edge [self; L]

Postby Adelie » 09/28/2017 7:09 PM

ImageImage

Like a languid mermaid, perhaps, or some sea nymph resting in the salt spray - she holds herself near-motionless in the water. Long brown hair, streaked in pale silvers and blues, fans out around her; glitter and colored powder dust her eyelids and cheeks ethereally. An albatross circles in the distance, a silhouette against the low-hanging sun.

The impression is of some Romantic painting - Ophelia lying in the water, maybe, or some alternate version of the Lady of Shalott. The impression does not particularly allow for the subject to sneeze, considerably undelicately, and then complain, 'Hey, you done yet? I think I'm catching a cold.'

(smol lazy thread for me to do the quest.)
and if you ask how i regret that parting:
it is like the flowers falling at spring's end
confused, whirled in a tangle.

what is the use of talking, and there is no end of talking,
there is no end of things in the heart.

ezra pound, exile's letter
zoo pen | journal | wishlist
Adelie
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Keystones: 2255
Donate

Re: Canny Edge [self; L]

Postby Adelie » 09/28/2017 7:25 PM

'Huh?' says the boy. He's perched anxiously on a rock a few feet out from the shore, fiddling with an expensive-looking camera in one hand and a rather bedazzled phone in the other - his 'huh?' is less an expression of clarification than one of surprise at being talked to.

'Don't tell me you haven't even started taking pictures,' the girl grumbles, straightening herself. The water isn't too deep so close to the shore, and she can easily keep her head above water if she stands on tip-toe. 'My make-up's starting to run, it's getting dark out, and I told you before this was a terrible photo concept.'

'I'm waiting for the right angle!' he protests. 'It's the inspiration that matters, and you know you can't hurry inspiration.'

Adelie
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Adelie » 09/28/2017 7:54 PM

'Whiny bitch,' she says, but she resumes her reclining pose. 'I wish someone would pay me to put up with you. I do it 24/7, so I'd be rich enough to hire an actual photographer by now.'

'Hold still,' he returns. 'The lighting's actually perfect now.' A few bright flashes.

Eyes still closed, she retorts, 'What's the point of waiting for good lighting if you're just going to use flash? You should strip down and get in here - I'd take better photos than you.' Neither of them moved. 'Still need more?'

'Yeah,' he says, carefully flipping through the digital previews. 'They'll look a lot different once I apply some filters and effects, but I'm not really happy with these just yet.'

She sighed. 'Well, hurry up. I'm getting old and wrinkly over here.'

Adelie
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Adelie » 09/28/2017 9:14 PM

There is silence for a minute before she breaks in with more running commentary. 'I still think this was a bad idea. At least, mine was better.'

'Eh,' he says, squinting at the sky. 'I think we should've gone with my first idea.' Trying a few more shots, he adds, 'Hey, move your hair a little, will you?'

Brushing a few strands of hair out of the way, she continues, 'Which one? Because I remember Tabby vetoed your suggestion of making physical album cover art out of hard candy.'

'It would've been a great idea! I even had all the flavors planned out. The band name would be in blueberry and watermelon, the album title would be in pistachio -'

'Calm down, you're going to drop your camera if you keep flailing about like that.' Then, briefly afterwards, 'Is pistachio even a real candy flavor?'

Adelie
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Adelie » 09/29/2017 6:00 PM

'No! But that doesn't mean we couldn't invent it,' he points out cheerily. 'Besides, that wasn't the idea I was thinking about.'

'Oh, really?' she replies, eyes still closed. 'Then what was it? The one you suggested where the cover just be solid blue with text in blue one hex value off? That one was almost reasonable. Or the one where you wanted just a low-res scan of your butt?'

'I have a very nice butt, thank you very much.'

'I don't care.'

'Hey, it's a compliment!' he protests. 'We're twins, so if I have a nice butt, then so do you.'

'I think I prefer it when you don't compliment me.'

Adelie
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Adelie » 09/30/2017 11:22 PM

'Well, whatever,' she says, righting herself and pulling herself over to the rock. 'I don't care if you're done or not, but I'm pretty done here. I'd prefer not to fall ill and die.' Crawling back up, she pulls a towel out of the bag near her brother and begins cleaning herself off.

'Eh,' he says noncommittally. 'Yeah, I guess that's enough to work with.' Flipping through the photos aimlessly, he stops at one and adds, 'See, this one would've been great if you weren't complaining at the same time.'

She peers over his shoulder, squinting through smeared makeup and dripping saltwater all the while. 'Maybe that's supposed to add interest level, like you always said.'

Adelie
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Adelie » 09/30/2017 11:27 PM

'Interest level?'

'Don't tell me you've already forgotten,' she says. 'I swear nothing sticks in your head except candy brand names and cookie flavors.'

'That's not true!' he protests. 'I don't actually remember cookie flavors most of the time.'

'My point exactly,' she says, shaking her head. Saltwater flicks out of her hair and lands all over the two of them - he whines pointedly about it, but rather lazily. 'Anyways, do you remember the conversation we had with Tabby about the difference between making cover art and writing song lyrics?'

'We had a conversation like that?'

'I reiterate: my point exactly.'

Adelie
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Adelie » 09/30/2017 11:31 PM

'Well,' she continues. 'You kept on going on and on about how things had to be really unique, that only with the appropriate amount of interest level would people actually be interested in buying our album. That was also the conversation where you suggested making unique cover art for each individual copy of the album.'

'Right!' he exclaims. 'That's actually the idea I was thinking about earlier. Don't you think that would've been really, really cool? But I recall you and Tabby shot it down like an airplane in Area 51.'

She laughs. 'Well, okay. I'll give you credit that that idea was actually doable, unlike some of the other ones you've suggested. I mean, we're just a bunch of students making music in our garage. I wouldn't be surprised if we only sold two albums, and the two buyers are Bri's mom and Bri's dad.'

Adelie
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Adelie » 09/30/2017 11:39 PM

'Well, for Bri's mom we could do a really close-up shot of one of those flowers - I think they're violets? - that she likes so much, and I don't know anything about Bri's dad so we could probably just do a low-res scan of my butt for him,' he opined, quite helpfully.

'Okay, first of all - what the fuck. Second of all, you just suggested showing our friend's dad a picture of your naked butt. Third, we're not going with that idea anyways, so you can stop thinking about it.'

'But why?' he whined, drawing out the vowel sound in a particularly unconvincing and rather obnoxious way.

She winced. 'Because of that, silly. Because you come up with worse ideas that anyone else I know.'

'These sound like perfectly great ideas to me.'

'And because you have shit opinions and need to stop.'

Adelie
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Adelie » 09/30/2017 11:43 PM

'Whatever,' he pouts. 'You just don't respect my artistic merit.'

'And because you say cringe-worthy things like that,' she continues. She's almost dry now, and beginning to think about making the trip back from this rock onto shore, and then into the car and home. 'I don't think anyone respects your artistic merit.'

'Finch does.'

'Finch has never said a single mean thing in his life,' she tells him. 'Or at least, not that he's immediately apologized for. His opinion doesn't count here.'

He shrugs. 'Well, maybe I'm just misunderstood, like all the great artists were in their time.'

She rolls her eyes. 'Stop with that emo shit, little bro. I know the rest of them put up with you because they love you, but there's no sibling love over here to speak of.'

Adelie
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Pets | Items