The waters of the Rewhister Ocean have tempted many a traveler, as from the shore they seem docile and inviting. Upon reaching around 100 km from shore though, the sea floor drops greatly and waters are often violent. Sailors fear the horrors that may lurk below. (+2 stat of choice)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Rewhister Ocean

:. Nautical Mystery [Hunt|Event] [P|E]

Postby Jaykobell » 07/28/2019 12:01 AM

The weather was pleasant despite their reason for being here. It was sunny with not a single cloud up in the sky, and just a little breeze blowing through. Even though the place had been raided by a strange creature just days before, that hadn't deterred some brave folks from enjoying a day at the beach. It was rather deserted, yes, but the fact even a few people were here was impressive.

In addition to those people, a small group of interest stood by the water's edge.
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Keystones: 4511
Donate

Postby Jaykobell » 07/28/2019 12:04 AM

They stood out among the others for the simple fact they clearly weren't here to enjoy the weather and the beach, and all of the fun activities the two could offer. Fully clothed, their attention was highly focused on the waters ahead.

At first glance, nothing seemed wrong. The waves sloshed about lazily, and a few people swam in the water, either relaxing in it, or playing with each other.

It went on for a while. Against their expectations, everything remained peaceful.
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

[C1] [H1]

Postby Jaykobell » 07/28/2019 12:09 AM

One of them started growing significantly impatient. His choice of clothing had been a terrible one considering the weather. Even standing still, he was sweating; and being this uncomfortable didn't help his mood at all.

With an impatient humph, he spoke. "Hark." The name was spoken with an accusatory tone. "Why the hell are we here?"
He had turned his attention to a man standing next to him. He, too, wore heavy clothing for the weather, but he seemed unbothered by it all.
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

[C2] [H2]

Postby Jaykobell » 07/28/2019 12:13 AM

Not only that, but something seemed a little off about this particular member of the group of four. Although his appearance was clearly human, there was something uncanny about him. "We're here because I heard there's been trouble around these parts," he explained passively, barely paying attention to the one who had asked the question. Instead, his eyes remained focused on the sea.

The other groaned in response. "Well," he said as he pulled on his collar, "it's taking its sweet time happening again, isn't it?"
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

[C3] [H3]

Postby Jaykobell » 07/28/2019 12:17 AM

When he received no response, he turned his attention back to the sea — begrudgingly. But his patience was no better off. "Are you sure this is the place?" he questioned after a matter of seconds. "Or that you weren't duped?" He knew how much people liked to do that. Seeing a tourist or someone who didn't live in these parts, townsfolk would jump on the opportunity to prank them.

Hark tilted his head to the side. "I'd say," he replied, "it must be your bad attitude keeping them at bay."
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

[C4] [H3] [S1]

Postby Jaykobell » 07/28/2019 12:22 AM

For a response, Hark received a nasty glare from the other man. The comment, while only in jest, might have started an argument had another member of the group not spoken up.
"I don't think Hark was duped, Clovis." The words came from a man dressed identically to Clovis, the two sharing the white, yellow and purple garments that carried a certain level of religious meaning to them. "After he first talked about it, I walked around town to get an idea of what's been going on: a lot of folks corroborate what he was told."
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

[C5] [H4] [S1]

Postby Jaykobell » 07/28/2019 12:28 AM

Clovis turned his attention to the other man, although he had nothing to say in response.

Hark, hearing the other man speaking in his favor, scoffed with a smile. "Sergio agrees with me, then," he pointed out. "So what those eccentric pirates told me has to be true. Something is out there, and it's pretty dangerous, if it's attacking boats out at sea."

Clovis rolled his eyes and huffed in irritation at being proven wrong. "Yeah, well," he said with scorn, "sorry for not trusting what some pirates told you."
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

[C6] [H5] [S1]

Postby Jaykobell » 07/28/2019 12:31 AM

Hark glanced at him. "In their defense," he replied, "you don't trust what anybody says, Clovis, my dear." Even after having journeyed for a while, this one priest absolutely refused to trust anybody they came across. How their little group had grown since leaving their tiny church and village behind was a complete mystery, thinking back.

Ignoring Clovis's indignation at his comment, Hark turned to Sergio instead; a priest as well, but who was much easier to interact with, overall. "Is it just us, Sergio?" He had expected at least one other pair to be present.
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

[C6] [H6] [S2]

Postby Jaykobell » 07/28/2019 12:35 AM

Sergio turned to look back at Hark upon being asked the question. "Yeah," was his simple answer. "I told the others to either stay in the hotel, or to keep gathering up intellect," he elaborated as he scratched his head. The heat was kind of suffocating; his hair was unpleasantly greasy as he ran a hand through it. "It's been happening all over town, so I thought we could just get in touch if either team finds anything."

"Clever," Hark said with satisfaction. "And I wonder if they've already had more luck than us."
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

[C7] [H7] [S2]

Postby Jaykobell » 07/28/2019 12:41 AM

"Well," Clovis interjected irritably, "I'm sure their plan doesn't involve just standing there and staring at the ocean!" He couldn't tell how long they had been out here, sweating under the sun, just staring at the sea, but it felt like an eternity.

"Well, in my defense," Hark said calmly as he looked down at his nails — which were strangely sharp and brightly colored — "that's usually how trouble finds us." How many times had they been ambushed or interrupted by some unruly deity spreading havoc? "So standing here seemed like a good idea."
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

[C8] [H8] [S2]

Postby Jaykobell » 07/28/2019 12:44 AM

A somewhat dumbfounded silence followed those words. "You're kidding, right?" Clovis said quietly, menace edging his voice. If he found out this damnable Hark had been making them stand here and sweat for no good reason—

"Of course I am," Hark said with a laugh, and then shrugged. "I did want to stick around to observe and see if anything would happen. I thought maybe us just being around it would force it out of hiding," he explained. With a shake of his head, he looked at the ocean, puzzled. "But doesn't seem like it'll be that easy."
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

[C9] [H9] [S3]

Postby Jaykobell » 07/28/2019 12:49 AM

Hearing that Hark did have a plan calmed Clovis down a little bit. He looked back at the ocean, but within seconds, the sweat and the heat started bothering him again. "So what next?" he asked, addressing both Hark and Sergio. Whoever had an idea how where to go from here should share it. "We can't just stand here all day."

He noticed the two thinking his question over for a little bit. For a moment, all they could hear were the splashing water and the muffled, muted voices of strangers across the beach.
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

[C10] [H9] [S3] [H1]

Postby Jaykobell » 07/28/2019 1:07 AM

The silence persisted for a moment, but an answer did come to the question, albeit not from either party Clovis had asked. Perhaps we ought to go to it, the words said, echoing in their minds in the form of telepathy. Surely, it, or they, will appear then.
Clovis looked down to stare at the Fenling that was laying down calmly at Sergio's feet. Unlike him and her partner, the Fenling almost looked like she was at ease in this scorching heat. Of course, it was a little hard to tell thanks to that expressionless face.
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

[C10] [H9] [S4] [H2]

Postby Jaykobell » 07/28/2019 1:13 AM

At the words, Sergio tapped his chin, deep in thought. "I agree it would come out if we went to it," he mused, "but where is it? Here, or at the other side of town entirely?"

The Fenling's ears twitched. Perhaps it is everywhere, she mused in return. Much like her face, her words offered little in the context of emotions. It may very well come to us once we are in its territory.

"Fair point," Sergio conceded. "If it's been happening all over town, either there's many of them, or the singular monster can travel."
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

[C11] [H10] [S5] [H2]

Postby Jaykobell » 07/28/2019 1:17 AM

With a confident nod, Hark turned to the group. "I believe Heulog has the best idea."

"Right," Clovis agreed, though he sounded perplexed. "Except for the fact we can't get on water," he pointed out. He crossed his arms as he looked over the massive body of water. "We'd have to rent a boat and go out there." Getting on a boat really didn't appeal much to him, either. Being on land was hard enough, for many reasons.

"It can't be helped," Sergio agreed. "But since this is a fishing town, there's bound to be a lot of rental boats available."
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

Next