Most of the southern region of Baa'sek is cut off from the rest of the continent by the dense, dangerous Tengel Rainforest. Much of what isn't forest is swamp lands, with the Baian Swamp covering the majority of the coast. Most cities exist along the edges of the rain forests, particularly in a divide just on the eastern limits of Baa'sek. Lamenolai lies to the north while the Slums lie to the south.

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Baa'sek

Harboring Fugitives (Open, fee free to join!)

Postby Zheris Altradi » 09/07/2012 5:50 PM

A man in a brown leather duster stood in the shade. there his features were hidden. Veiled from the travelers and most importantly.. the authorities. His Whispwing fluttering on his Fedora. Was the only thing truly visible bar the silhouette of the man. "Wherewegoingwherewegoingwherewegoing~"  the insect chanted. "Someplace... I haven't decided... How do The Slums sound?" "Your joking.. that's waaay too obvious.. secondly, its just a bunch of self loathing lowlives! They have nothing we need.. " there was a pause as a man walked by a bit too close. Once he was gone, the conversation continued "Not true.. the successful ones.. they may have a few 'stones." "Not once did I deny they had something YOU want.. I said WE.."

(1/5)
Zheris Altradi
Master Pet Tamer
Master Pet Tamer
Pets | Items
Keystones: 70
Donate

Re: Harboring Fugitives (Open, fee free to join!)

Postby Indigo » 09/07/2012 8:04 PM

Jason rested his head on the ground and watched people walk past, and sighed, nearly knocking over someone who walked a bit too close. Funny how anonymous you could be even when you were so large. You just became part of the scenery. It was an unfamiliar feeling and he didn't care for it.

He wasn't sure anymore why he'd bothered to fly all the way out here. He had thought maybe he'd take a trip to the other continent, or else run into somebody with a cause he might be able to further, or someone with what he considered the wrong sort of morals to...occupy his time. Admittedly, the Slums were rife with that sort of thing, but after a while you got tired of smugglers and poachers, and they didn't even taste very good most of the time, probably something about the way they lived. But it had been a long flight and there was nobody interesting around and his metal scales were taking in heat at an alarming rate.

Hold on...

The man was surprisingly well-hidden, considering the scant cover provided by mere shade. Even Jason, with his mechanically enhanced sight, might not have spotted him under normal circumstances. But boredom made him more observant, looking for something suspicious to seize on, and if that wasn't suspicious he didn't know what was. He heaved himself to his feet and started moving in that direction, not caring whether the man saw him coming; he could move pretty fast if he wanted to.
Indigo
Well-Traveled Trainer
Well-Traveled Trainer
Pets | Items
Keystones: 329
Donate

Postby Zheris Altradi » 09/07/2012 10:48 PM

"You make a valid point old friend." the man sighed, pondering about where to go.. Nabias.. they could head out there and raid some supplies or head out to Jawan and intercept trades.. of course Umberask could also "feed" in both places... seemed to be a nice idea both of them could possibly agree on.. but before he could speak..

"We have incoming.. lets get a move on.. The Whispwing muttered making a subtle gesture to the incoming Hollowheart. Puling down his hat so the shade covered his face, he started to casually walk away in the other direction. No real idea where he was going, just an attempt to slip away. "Whats that thing doing? Why is it coming after us?" Umberask muttered

"I dont know.. perhaps it's with the police and thy tracked us here?" "Across the seas?" the man kept walking.. keeping his cool, the overgrown moth on his head.. did not.. and began too flutter again. "Hurry up!"

(Sorry its still a bit short ^^;;)
Zheris Altradi
Master Pet Tamer
Master Pet Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Indigo » 09/07/2012 11:08 PM

Aha, trying to escape. That was definitely suspicious activity, certainly grounds to give chase by his own self-imposed rules. He found that he was pleased to be chasing somebody with the possibility of eating them if they violated the moral code, even if this one might not be very good-tasting either. Maybe he could eat the man even if he turned out not to be--

No. Stupid, should know better by now. You do not kill the innocent. That wasn't just a rule, it was one of The Rules, the ones laid down by Fleur before he'd stopped listening to her, and something in his programming clung to them even now. He couldn't even feel inconvenienced by The Rules, another trick of programming.

Jason continued to follow the man, speeding up a little since he'd already been some distance away, and wondered idly what kind of thing the guy might have done.

[Ack. This is short and mediocre. My apologies.]
Indigo
Well-Traveled Trainer
Well-Traveled Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Zheris Altradi » 09/08/2012 1:16 AM

The man looked back, seeing the dragon following in pursuit. He could run.. but then he'd look even more suspicious. The last thing he needed was to be locked up.  Especially not after such a fantastic "career". The nervous Whispwing continued to panic. "Run.. hurry up and run!" He tried to ignore it's frantic wingbeats and keep calm and focused. The mental war going on was intense, run and get away, but get a bounty put on his head, Or confront his pursuer and risk being thrown in jail.

The Whispwing had already decided, he was going to hide in his hat, and hope for the best.  He could not pull any tricks here, not in plain sight anyway.. feeling defenseless, the overgrown bug panicked. "Get a move on!" he said a bit louder..

Looking back at his pursuer, the Wispwing cringed. It was getting closer. "Don't look now, but our 'friend' is coming in pretty fast." the man stopped and looked behind him casually. ""The hell are you doin'?!" he croaked "This isn't going to end well..." "Be quite I have a plan.." the man puffed. He fixed his hat and coat, and now waited for the mechanical beast to catch up entirely.

(Its fine, not like mine are much better)
Zheris Altradi
Master Pet Tamer
Master Pet Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Indigo » 09/08/2012 3:56 PM

He'd stopped. That was odd. Certainly not something you'd do if you were hiding from justice and justice happened to be following you; maybe it was some kind of trick? Not that Jason was especially worried about this, since he was pretty dangerous in his own right as well as being heavily armored, but it was strange. Of course, if the man did attack him that was obstructing justice and he'd definitely get eaten then.

Jason stopped a few feet away from the man, close enough that he was still within reach, and looked down at him. "Hello, Mr Suspicious Man." Subtlety was not Jason's strong point. Fleur hadn't thought it would be necessary. "Might I ask what it is you're doing here?"
Indigo
Well-Traveled Trainer
Well-Traveled Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Zheris Altradi » 09/10/2012 10:11 PM

The man chuckled "Suspicious? What do you mean?" the frightened moth peeked out from his hat. "Just explorers.. treasure hunters, if you will..." the man had an amazing pokerface.. if anything.. the moth began to calm down. "Oh yes.. we were just headed to get some supplies and meet the locals" the man put Umbrask under his hat again to keep it quite.

The man reached into his coat pocket and pulled out a map. "The name's Ra'quel. This is Halz, my friend."  The Whispwing peeked out. "Oh yeah.. hi..." it said unsure of its new alias. "I take it you'er part of the police force? Perhaps you can give us a tip?" " Masterfully done! We'll be taking off in no time flat!" Umberask thought to himself.

(Sorry for lack of replies. Computer got corrupt. On my brother's for now. I might be slow to reply.)
Zheris Altradi
Master Pet Tamer
Master Pet Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Indigo » 09/11/2012 12:19 AM

Treasure hunters? He couldn't dismiss it out of hand, but treasure could be all sorts of things.

He had to suppress a laugh when the man--Ra'quel--suggested he was police, though. "Me, a cop?" Jason said; he would have been grinning if his face had the flexibility. "Oh, no. Not really. I happen to have a personal interest in justice, you might say. But I know a thing or two about this place." That was almost a lie, since he'd only been here a few times and since the last time something nasty had gotten into his main hard drive and he'd lost some of the information. And lies were mostly against the Rules, but they were okay if they were necessary to pursue justice. He'd made that amendment himself. He was quite proud of it.

"What kind of tip were you looking for?" Probably there was some important connotation he'd missed, but never mind; he was used to brute-forcing his way through this kind of interchange. He could have looked up some things about the criminal element, but he considered it beneath him. "And, if you don't mind my asking, what kind of treasure do you hunt for?"
Indigo
Well-Traveled Trainer
Well-Traveled Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Zheris Altradi » 09/11/2012 1:23 PM

They had him right where they wanted him. False identities, a false agenda, now all they had to do was get away. And hope he forgets this event.. if its not a full machine anyway...

Umbrask, no longer fearing capture, drifted off in thought. Wondering if this machine was part biological, and by extension, prey. But this thought was interrupted when it spoke again. "Personal interest in justice?" Umbrask mumbled.

"Ra'quel" unrolled the old  worn map, running his finger south then east.. he was a bit hesitant to place his finger in a spot, but he settled near Baian Swamp. "I believe here... sunken ruins said to hold a stone tablet we were requested to obtain.." he smiled slyly. "Problem being its quite a dangerous journey."
Zheris Altradi
Master Pet Tamer
Master Pet Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Indigo » 09/17/2012 7:56 PM

"A stone tablet?" Requested to obtain, so maybe it was a legitimate operation, but who knew what information or magic or whatever else this tablet might hold? Well, probably Ra'quel did. Perhaps Jason should know about it too. And he didn't have many options for finding out why they were after this tablet, or if they were even telling the truth...

"Well," he said, as if he'd been thinking it over, "I don't know about any sunken ruins, but then I don't get out that way very often. It's the damp, you see. Gets in my workings and makes me glitch. Other than that any dangers around there don't worry me too much. You, on the other hand, don't look like you're designed for such things." Of course, he might be a shapeshifter or just good at concealing his dangerousness, and there was no telling what that Whispwing of his could do...just another reason to keep an eye on them. "I wonder if you might like some company? I'm pretty good in a fight."

Of course, if they were lying and said no, he wouldn't have any way of finding them. Best not to dwell on that, though.
Indigo
Well-Traveled Trainer
Well-Traveled Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Zheris Altradi » 09/20/2012 4:30 PM

The Whispwing practically drooled at the thought of having this.. thing's... memories. All alone out in the wilderness at its weakest. With the water damaging its circuity, Umbrask would have little to worry about. Yes.. take him on a little quest and finish him off. What a delicious idea!

The man, or "Ra'quel" wasn't exactly thinking the same thing. Wanting to get on with his next heist, he quickly responded without much though. "I dont know..." the man was almost offended by the other comment however.. half tempted to pull out his pistol and show him what he was capable of, but he had more self control then that.. would shooting that thing even do any damage? His thoughts of violence were interrupted by Umbrask. "Now I suggest rethinking that decision my friend." He could see the hunger in Umbrask's eyes.. oh god...

"It is a very dangerous place, Don't Insonia lurk in the waters and stuff? He can beat 'em up for us.." the man looked at his Whispwing "Surly he is busy... looking for some shady character." "Nah, I'm sure he'd love to join us in our expedition! Right Mr.Monstrous dragon robot dude?"
Zheris Altradi
Master Pet Tamer
Master Pet Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Indigo » 09/30/2012 3:43 PM

He had a feeling he'd already found some shady character, in fact, but that wasn't something you said to people if you wanted them to trust you. "I would like to join you, yes," he said. "Otherwise I wouldn't have offered. But if you don't want my help I'd be happy to leave you alone. I probably have some other business to attend to." Was there any way to track them down? Well, there was that Dexter guy with the robot--he was always saying it could track down anything, living or not. He could give it a try, anyway. It would look good if the kid ever tried to advertise the thing: "Used by the Forces of Justice", maybe. But the Whispwing seemed pretty eager, so he doubted it would come to that.

The water would be a problem, but Jason knew how to deal with that. If he did short out he still had enough armor to protect him, probably, and then it would just be a matter of waiting until someone found him. That would probably be a while, but as long as there was justice eventually, that would be fine.
Indigo
Well-Traveled Trainer
Well-Traveled Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate