Nice and peaceful, Nabias offers a great place to start your journey or stock up on supplies before heading out to brave the rest of the wilderness out there. They also have Barakka's largest hospital facility to treat all sorts of injuries you could get out there. (+2 Precision)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Town of Nabias

Gardening Tips [P; Meesh and I]

Postby zapdragon555 » 06/02/2016 12:21 AM

Jonquil Soleil had accidentally overslept. It was a rarity that such a thing happened, as his internal clock usually never let him down, and it was a rarity enough that he could tell just by the feeling of warm sun on his face. The boy sat up quickly, reaching up to rub his eyes, ignoring the slight headrush of sitting up so fast. He swung his feet around and planted them firmly on the wooden floor, warmed by the sunlight pouring through the window, and he reached out to run his hand along the side table to touch the red-handled white stick he kept by his bedside.

He grabbed it and and walked to the other side of the room, lightly tapping until he heard the familiar hollow sound of his dresser, and in a few minutes, he'd dressed himself well enough. He was lucky to have clothes that didn't clash with each other--it made very little room for error, even with Jonquil's lack of sight.

As the boy passed his grandfather's room on the way to the stairs, he heard the man's weak, choppy snoring and smiled with fondness. And with a careful, familiar step, Jonquil descended the staircase to the lower floor of the two-story building--the store floor of Soleil Florals. He made his way to the shop front and flipped the sign around, knowing he'd done the same last night and that it would now read OPEN.

But there will come a time
You'll see, with no more tears
And love will not break your heart
But dismiss your fears
Get over your hill and see
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

"Tomorrow will be a good day."

Pen | New Pen | Breed | Wish | Sales | Art | Imp. | Add-ons

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Keystones: 485
Donate
Location: "I mean... for me, I could love someone even if I, you know, wasn't paid for it...

Re: Gardening Tips [P; Meesh and I]

Postby Meesh » 06/02/2016 2:08 AM

Mara

The young woman rubbed at her eyes blearily as she squinted at the small shopping list she had printed out earlier that day. The items on the list, most taken almost nonsensically off of the internet, ade little to no sense to her. A variety of herbs that had familiarish names, but certainly weren't anything she'd be able to tell apart, well those made sense. But mulch? Ladybugs? Why would one need ladybugs to start a garden? She huffed. Half of this stuff made no sense.

But, she was determined, and when Mara was determined, she didn't half do her job. Crumpling the paper into her pocket, the woman walked down the street towards the flower store. Ugh, it was far too early to be up and about. Why had the Mara from the previous night thought that setting an alarm early would somehow net to her getting better plants? Idiotic, that's what it was.

A twinge in her back made her groan and lean against the wall for a moment. Glorious, five minutes into her morning and she was already sore. The woman murmured a few choice words, glancing up. Ah, there was the flower store she had looked up online. Wasn't anything special to look at, but it sold gardeny stuff and it had fairly decent reviews. Best she was willing to put in work for.

Pushing herself off of the wall she had been leaning against, Mara strode onwards and pushed through the door, swinging it open and striding it in. "Ello" she announced to whoever might be in the store, paying them no mind as she strode over to start blankly at a row of flowers. Now what?
Meesh
Novice Pet Trainer
Novice Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Keystones: 170
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 06/06/2016 9:45 PM

The shop was small, a two-room deal with a store front and a bigger selection in the back, along with the greenhouse outside behind the store building. Therefore, Jonquil hadn't wandered too far away from the door when Mara had come in with about as much noise as anything in Jonquil's quiet world. The boy jumped, startled and nearly stumbling on his way back from the back room, his eyes wide as he listened to the footsteps approaching a row of flowers they had on display. Hydrangeas, if he could remember correctly?

"May I help you?" he called out with a small smile, carefully inching around the front desk, obviously not looking right at Mara but looking in her general direction. He stopped a ways away and tapped his cane against his shoe, tilting his head at her. "If you're looking for my grandfather, he's upstairs sleeping, still."

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate
Location: "I mean... for me, I could love someone even if I, you know, wasn't paid for it...

Postby Meesh » 06/10/2016 2:37 AM

The greeting had been a half hearted one given simply because of the required unspoken rules of courtesy, but she hadn't actually been hoping for the kid or whoever it was to walk over and join her. She'd have much rather been left well enough alone, thank you very much. Taking a moment to wallow in her irritation, Mara turned her glare towards the unfortunate shopkeep who's only crime had been in being polite and doing his job.

Only to realize that he wouldn't meet her glare. Rather, he couldn't see it at all. The stranger was faced in her direction, but his eyes didn't quite reach her face, nor did he cower away as most people did when they were glared at by a sour hearted lady.

So now I'm being harassed by a blind kid, and he doesn't even have the decency to see that I don't like people. Mara's lips twisted into a rough grin, and after a moment of mental grumbling about people and having to deal with them, she responded.

"Well I have no idea who your grandfather is, kiddo. Anyways, I don't need professional help or nothing, just..." she paused as she turned once again to the selection of plants, suddenly daunted by seeing far more plants than should even exist in this world."Does there have to be so many different things?" she asked finally, a note of helplessness suddenly creeping into her voice. "Where are, like, the normal gardeny plants and stuff...?" she stared around her blankly.
Meesh
Novice Pet Trainer
Novice Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 06/14/2016 4:05 AM

Jonquil seemed the smallest bit perplexed by the woman's agitation. Then, he seemed to get it, his brows raising ever so slightly as a smile lit up his features. "Ah, feeling overwhelmed?" he laughed slightly, but realized he should probably not be laughing. He cleared his throat and stepped a tiny bit closer, still keeping his distance. He'd run into far too many people in his years of working there, much to his embarrassment. "We do keep a lot of our exotics at the front--they smell the nicest." He smiled and nodded at the space over his shoulder. "I can take you into the back, where we have more basic garden essentials... ah, but, are you looking to start a flower garden? Or a vegetable garden? Herbs...?" Jonquil got a slight sense that he was tiptoeing around a temperamental customer, but he wanted to be at least a little helpful.

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Meesh » 06/17/2016 2:16 PM

Mara glared suspiciously at the kid, nevermind that he essentially was trying to help her. When he stepped in, she tensed ever so slightly, silently moving back just the amount of distance he did forward. She had a personal bubble, and she was perfectly happy that no one invade it, thank you very much.

After a few moments of sizing the kid up (and huffing at his brief laughter) Mara finally concluded that he wasn’t making fun of her – at least, for now. Resolving to reserve judgement, at least until a little later in this predicament, Mara wavered. ”Vegetables and herbs.” she said matter of factly, with a look (nevermind that he couldn’t see it) in the boy’s direction to suggest that this should have been obvious. The sentiment was there in her voice too as she continued. ”Flowers aint there to do nothing but sit around and look pretty, we’ve got enough people sitting around wasting everyone’s time by doing exactly that. Now herbs, them’s useful. Smell much better, less likely to give you headaches. And vegetables, well, nothing beats a good salad.” a pause, as Mara considered a moment, and then she added. ”Don’t have any strawberry plants or berry bushes around here, do ya? I love me some good berries.” and the thought of having her own in the garden… Mara’s mouth watered at the thought. She resisted the urge to ask about young fruit trees though, almost dreading the scalding look she was sure she’d get for asking for a tree in a flower store.

”Backyard’s already got dirt in it. There’s dirt everywhere, but the others insist I need some sort of special kind, as if this wasn’t ridiculous enough already.” she finally added, a meager attempt to change the subject.
Meesh
Novice Pet Trainer
Novice Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 07/21/2016 8:41 PM

Jonquil supposed he should've guessed that this person would be interested in a more practical garden, but he always had to ask. Making assumptions was never a thing that Jonquil liked to do, especially given one of his senses was lacking. He supposed it made him a bit more considerate, if he was feeling romanticizing about it--largely it was an inconvenience, but he found perks here and there that he held onto.

"Herbs and vegetables are definitely useful," he agreed, keeping his own opinions about flowers to himself. He brightened at Mara's question, dull eyes lighting up slightly. "We do have berry bushes! I don't think they'll be producing for another year, but if you care for them, they should get you some very nice berries."

He pondered her words for a moment, then motioned for her to follow him. He tapped his cane gently to touch the shelf of flowers to his right, then turned around and walked, back on track. "Well, there are different kinds of soil that you can use if you want to make sure things take well, but your yard could be fine on its own. I wouldn't be able to tell without touching it myself, and experience is there, too. If you've never grown anything, there really isn't any telling."

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate