A wide open space in contrast to the dense Tengel jungle, the Sekudui Farmlands are open to all farmers and ranchers! There is much space available and plenty of resources to help raise some fine Tuskow or Roosken. (+3 Endurance, +2 Speed)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Sekudui Farmlands

The Kindness of Strangers [P,Duskie] [M] [L]

Postby Mousen » 10/03/2014 5:47 PM

It was raining, a thick heavy rain. It didn't look to be letting up any time soon. There was a storm brewing, and a nasty one at that. The wind was cold and the rain coming down in sheets was colder. He really needed to find somewhere to stay the night before he froze to death.

Normally, the farmlands were fairly warm and were generally more in danger of drought than floods but the autumn months had obviously brought their own kind of weather. Atlas was feeling rather betrayed. His old leather boots were caked with mud, and his patched duster jacket (so many different colors and materials it was difficult to tell if any of it was original) was soaked through. His bright ginger hair was plastered to his scalp, and the large rucksack, slung on his back was heavier for the water it now contained. It certainly wasn't the worst situation he'd ever been in on his travels, but it wasn't looking too bright.

Though, the migraine didn't help. A good night's rest, that's what he needed. Somewhere a little bit dryer than this and he could drink some lukewarm tea out of his battered thermos and everything would be right with the world.

He walked on a little bit further, and the sky was starting to grow dark. Atlas was wondering if his best option for the day was to find a large tree to hide under when he saw it: a farmhouse. Still, there was no saying they'd help him, or if he'd even want help off of them. He thought over his options, and considered what the humidity was doing to the old accordion he was carrying.

~***~

Atlas knocked on the door of the farmhouse and stood back, doing his best to look as non-threatening as possible. He could protect himself if he had to, but didn't want to scare folks unnecessarily. He generally didn't cut the most... imposing figure anyway. His build was rather slight, and with his long hair Atlas knew he looked a little bit feminine sometimes. Truth be told, be preferred looking like that.

While he waited for the door to be opened, Atlas took a cursory glance around the land. There was at least one barn he could see, it looked in reasonable repair. Good, he wasn't expecting to be let inside the house, so having a barn there was a very good sign. Now, if only the headache would let up...

We’re all hysterical & going nowhere together.

C’mon rapture. Let’s go bedazzling.

Nothing gets futured without its own spitshine
& I’m already not not not not not not miraculous.

Mousen
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Keystones: 160
Donate
Status: Jack of all trades is master of none, but better than a Master's degree.

Re: The Kindness of Strangers [P,Duskie] [M] [L]

Postby MythicDusk » 10/03/2014 6:13 PM

Rexus siged silently at the knock of the door, slowly uncurling himself from the large arm chair, his finger purposefully placed on the page of the book he was just reading, letting the book fold around his finger as he stood. He began to pad towards the door, shirtless and barefoot and he scratched at the soft black fuzz on his chest, frowning gently as he then scratched at the day-old stubble on his face. He frowned deeply at himself, he should know by now that his human form required daily shavings, no matter howm uch of a pain it was. He pushed his black hair from his face, the biolune green tips hanging in his bright blue eyes and he frowned, walking through the darkened hallway towards the door, the biolune markings on his own body lighting the way enough for him to see.

The leanly muscled man pulled open the door, standing at an easy five-eleven, he looked down at the smaller male, the book held firm in his hand as he cocked an eyebrow, leaning lightly on the doorpost, waving a hand arily, signalling him to explain himself, then just to re-inforce the point, he waved towards the man on his doorstep and made a knocking motion towards the now open door, before he looked into the gloom behind him and saw that it was pouring down with rain. His already slightly dour expression became even more deep-seated as he stepped to a side, no longer blocking Atlas's entry and he in fact, waved him in, but motioned for him to remove his boots before he came in.

I want it to be you, ooh
Diving into my ocean
A brand new emotion come true, ooh
Don't let this night, don't let this night go

How long 'til you play me the song
That will make me belong to you?
One dance with my baby tonight
And we'll dance 'til the night is through

Jax Jones ft. Years & Years - Play

Zoo Pen
MythicDusk
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Pets | Items
Keystones: 425
Donate

Postby Mousen » 10/03/2014 6:54 PM

Oh no. Despite himself, Atlas felt a blush rise to his cheeks. He was sure he must be bright scarlet by now. How embarrassing. He really hadn't expected the person answering the door to look like that. If all farmhouse owners looked like that he was going to have to move here. Zu'hai.

Oh, yeah. He needed to explain. "Oh, uhm. Jeez. I'm so sorry to bother you. I'm a travelling performer, I didn't expect the weather to be this bad and I just need somewhere to stay the night. I can sleep in your barn, it's really not an issue. I don't want to inconvenience you I just... I really need somewhere to sleep. I'm-" It was at this point the man gestured him inside.

Atlas blinked, confused. "Are you sure? I don't want to inconvenience you- I--" he looked around focusing on anything but the shirtless stranger in front of him, hoping to find a better way to explain what he was trying to say. Coming up short, he stepped inside the house, not wanting to carry on this conversation in the cold.

He stood on the doormat, not quite sure whether to start unlacing his boots or not. Ugh, this migraine was definitely impacting on his ability to think. "Look, sir. If you'd prefer me to be in the barn, that's fine. The fact that you're willing to let me stay on your property at all is enough, you don't have to treat me like a guest. I'm just passing through."

Mousen
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate
Status: Jack of all trades is master of none, but better than a Master's degree.

Postby MythicDusk » 10/03/2014 7:05 PM

Another firm point to his boots and now a furrowed brow and a dark look. He grabbed the young man now dripping on his doormat forcibly by the coat, beginning to pull the sodden fabric from him, often giving soft warning growls. He nodded again to Atlas's boots, moving behind him to block him from the worst of the rain that was now sweeping into the house, giving a hard glare to the back of his head. Not so much because of the injustice or the insult of using him as a rainblocker, but just for the insult of thinking that Rexus would ever, ever allow anyone to sleep in that dingy old barn.

He wouldn't let his worst enemy sleep in that barn, it was basically made of splinters and spit by this point.

I want it to be you, ooh
Diving into my ocean

Zoo Pen
MythicDusk
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Mousen » 10/03/2014 7:16 PM

Atlas looked rather alarmed, but quickly picked up on what Rexus was trying to say. "Okay! Okay! I understand. Please don't remove my clothes. I've only known you for about a minute and most of that was me stuttering about useless crap." Atlas gave Rexus a small, but rather impish grin. He unbuttoned his coat, putting it on the coat rack along with his scarf before turning his attention to his boots, unlacing them and placing them by the door. Underneath his coat, he wore a suede waistcoat left open and a button-up shirt that was patched at the elbows.

"Thank you." He left his rucksack by the door too, but held on to the rectangular case which held his beaten-up accordion.

Mousen
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MythicDusk » 10/03/2014 7:23 PM

Finding he was suitably dry to sit on his furniture, Rexus pushed him forward slightly and kicked the door closed, he shook much like he would have in his albie form, shown by the purple wristband, the biolune markings on his face, arms and down his back. Water droplets sprayed from the back of his head. He tilted his head towards him, motioning for him to enter the living room and find a place to sit as he moved down the darkened hall, flicking on lightswitches as he went, lighting the house up and placing the book to a side, memorising the page before entering what appeared to be the kitchen, his wet back shining with dampness as he walked through the slowly lightening house.

I want it to be you, ooh
Diving into my ocean

Zoo Pen
MythicDusk
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Mousen » 10/04/2014 2:51 AM

Atlas walked into the living room, taking a seat that was reasonably close to the fire. He hadn't quite realized how hold he was. In the light, one could see that Atlas was actually rather pale looking beneath his freckles, he had that pinched look of someone who was just recovering from an illness and there were dark circles underneath his eyes.

He pulled out the band which he'd used to tie his hair back. His auburn hair fell in tangled rats tails around his face. He knew it'd be full of cotters and instead of trying to deal with it, he pulled his hair up into a loose bun.

While his gracious host was gone, Atlas took a moment to reflect about who he was. The wristband identified him as an albie, certainly. He hadn't said a word, and instead communicated through gestures. He did, however seem to understand Atlas perfectly which was good. So far, his host didn't seem dangerous or anything, though one could never tell.

Mousen
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MythicDusk » 10/04/2014 7:23 AM

Rexus soon returned, placing down a mug of something hot and smelling of spices and herbs infront of the other male, he sat in his own arm chair, his long legs slowly folding, one over the other as he blew softly on his own mug, sipping at it silently before giving a soft sigh and a smile. He nodded to the young man and waved his hand, offering for him to introduce himself as he leaned down the side of the chair, pulling out a pad of paper and a pen. He began to scribble on the pad, pausing every once in a while to correct something or fix his grip on the pen in order to improve his scrawling handwriting.

I want it to be you, ooh
Diving into my ocean

Zoo Pen
MythicDusk
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Mousen » 10/04/2014 12:57 PM

"Ah. Thank you." Atlas replied, surprised. He picked up the mug in his cold hands, thankful for the warmth. His hands were freezing cold. Generally, he was distrustful of strangers, but at this point he was already relying on their kindness. He took a sip, whatever kind of broth it was, it was delicious.

Right. Introductions. That was probably what the stranger was doing with that piece of paper. "I'm Atlas. Atlas Statham-Wiles if you feel like being really pedantic. It's a long story that involves a circus and two idiots. Best not to ask. I travel, like I said. Bit of music, bit of magic. I get by. Well. Usually. Point being, I'm not dead yet." Yet was perhaps the key word in that sentence. "I'd ask about you, but I think you're already working on something to that effect." He gestured to the piece of paper Rexus was currently scrawling over.

Atlas put the mug down for a moment, and turned his attention to his accordion, gently lifting it from the case. It didn't seem like the case had leaked any. That was a good sign. "Do you mind if I...? I'm just wondering what the bad weather has done to it."

Mousen
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MythicDusk » 10/04/2014 1:19 PM

Rexus simply arched a brow, looking up from the pad which was being steadily filled with his handwriting before he waved for him to continue. Eventually, he slid the pad of paper across the table that sat between them towards Atlas, motioning towards it. On the pad, in his small, compressed handwriting was his name, Rexus. Why he lived here, he was a ranch-hand for the owner of the house, who was currently away on business, and a simple question.

What would you like for dinner?

I want it to be you, ooh
Diving into my ocean

Zoo Pen
MythicDusk
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Mousen » 10/04/2014 2:59 PM

Atlas nodded in thanks. Giving his accordion a final once over before inflating the bellows and playing a few melancholy notes. The sound was crisp and clear and he switched into something softer, more folksy just for a moment or two. He allowed a genuine smile to grace his features, and let the note fade out. "Well, it's working fine. That's a relief."

Rexus, huh? Interesting name. Though, he was one to talk. Atlas wondered vaguely if he was even supposed to allow strange and uninvited guests into the house, though it didn't seem to matter. He doubted that Rexus would let him back out into the storm, and Atlas's morals were usually the least of his problems.

"Rexus, I really hope I'm not upsetting you by saying this but you're been far too kind to me. You don't have to be nice to me, you know. Generally when I ask for help, the most I'm hoping for is that whoever answers the door doesn't set their dogs on me. I wish there was something I could offer you to repay you for your kindness, but all I've got to offer is about 30 keystones, a few handwritten songs and half a flask of sloe gin." He really wouldn't recommend the gin, he was sure it could turn small animals blind.

Mousen
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MythicDusk » 10/04/2014 3:10 PM

Rexus's brows furrowed as his blue gaze became harder and his leg began to bounce n annoyance. How dare this young man, who had interrupted his reading time, even insinuate that Rexus was not going to be the perfect host? He pulled the pad towards himself again and firmly underlined the last sentence, shoving it back to Atlas firmly before he set both feet on the floor, resting his arms on his knees as he leaned forward, his lips pressed into a firm line. Frey would have his head if he didn't do things perfectly, and he was very prepared to march this man into the kitchen and make him pick out food, shown by the simple glare he was giving him, almost as if he was saying 'Take my kindness or by the gods I'll force it down your throat.'

I want it to be you, ooh
Diving into my ocean

Zoo Pen
MythicDusk
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Mousen » 10/04/2014 3:39 PM

Atlas held up his hands in a gesture of defeat. "Right. Right. Sorry. Uhm. Thank you, in that case." He really wasn't used to this. Generally, Atlas had to be self sufficient, or largely self sufficient. He had been known to mooch off of people in the past, but they were always people he'd had prior contact to. Besides, they generally owed him something. Didn't count.

"I'm not a picky eater, honestly. Pretty much anything is good with me. Except papaya. I'm allergic. I turn bright red. I look like a ginger strawberry. It's awful." He shot Rexus an apologetic lopsided grin. "I'm weird enough as it is."

He stood up to move his accordion somewhere out of the way, and a sudden wave of dizziness caused him to have to brace his hands on his knees. "I'm fine. Jeez. Sorry. It's been a pretty long day for me, so I'm a bit out of it. Hah."

Mousen
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MythicDusk » 10/04/2014 3:46 PM

A flash of worry shot through Rexus's eyes and he stood quickly, grabbing the other man under the arms, he lifted him from his seat with apparent ease, though the straining muscles in his arms, shoulders and chest betrayed his nonchalant expression. He then threw Atlas over his shoulder, like he was a bag of feed for the animals and walked easily into the kitchen, plopping Atlas down on one of the large dining table's chairs and he pointed a firm finger at the young man, making sure the order of 'Stay' got across before he turned his back to him, searching through the fridge for things to eat, eventually pulling out different packages, finding a pan and beginning to cook.

I want it to be you, ooh
Diving into my ocean

Zoo Pen
MythicDusk
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Mousen » 10/04/2014 4:42 PM

Atlas squeaked in surprise, too shocked to resist as the other man threw him over his shoulder. "Hey! I really don't think this is the proper way to treat people you've just met!" He didn't even bother to struggle, realizing that it was a futile gesture. He really was petite in comparison to Rexus.

When he was put down, Atlas folded his arms over his chest and looked up at Rexus. "I'm not moving anywhere. Don't worry. Look, I'm fine, honestly. I swear. Just tired. I must have walked a dozen miles over farmland." It had been a tough couple of days, though this really was the quickest way to get to the next town. "I can look after myself, I promise."

He'd be fine in the morning, he just needed to get some sleep. The headache would let up and he'd be fine. Definitely.

Probably.

Mousen
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Next