A wide open space in contrast to the dense Tengel jungle, the Sekudui Farmlands are open to all farmers and ranchers! There is much space available and plenty of resources to help raise some fine Tuskow or Roosken. (+3 Endurance, +2 Speed)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Sekudui Farmlands

Sweeter than Honey [Self] [Finished]

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 06/15/2016 1:39 PM

Honey buzzed happily as she went about her daily business of collecting honeycomb from her hives. Being a bumble Lubshi made being a beekeeper very easy, as the bees seemed to believe that she was one of them. Clearly the fact that she was significantly larger than the largest of her queens did not matter, and the bees were happy to stand aside and let her get on with her business without the need for smoke.

She loved her little apiary, and together with her little cottage and few acres of land she was very happy with her existence. She lived a peaceful life, and had very little want for anything more.
"I remember who I was, who I've always been. Sometimes I forget I'm not that person any more."

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Keystones: 2056
Donate

Re: Sweeter than Honey [Self]

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 06/15/2016 1:47 PM

The bees pollinated the flowers, which grew more plentifully on her land than for miles around, and made the sweetest honey at the market. Between the sales of these two, Honey could live a comfortable (if modest) solitary life, as well as maintain her apiary.

She smiled as she pulled out the frames from her first hive; already dripping with honeycomb and filled to the edge, it was quite a sight to see. She carefully scraped the majority of it into her bucket, and replaced the frames so that the bees could continue making honey for her. She moved on to the next one, humming slightly as she went.
"I remember who I was, who I've always been. Sometimes I forget I'm not that person any more."

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 06/15/2016 1:53 PM

Occasionally, Honey looked out over her flower fields where a riot of colour resided all year round, thanks to her bees and her planning. Even in the cold months, her bees would produce rich honey - her neighbours often complained that they didn't know how she did it, but Honey would just smile at them. The best beekeeping tips had to be learnt from the bees, the flowers, and the seasons themselves, after all, and Honey knew her knowledge would be brushed aside anyway by those who thought they knew better.

She paused to put the lid on her first full bucket of honey, and nibbled on a small piece of honeycomb. Like the bees, she was partial to sweet, fresh honey, and delighted in the flavours that came with each new batch.

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 06/15/2016 4:58 PM

She paused a moment to check on the queen of this hive; it wasn't that she could understand them perfectly, but she got the general gist of the bees' emotions, and wanted to make sure that this hive's queen had recovered from her recent bout of griep.

She couldn't help the smile that covered her face as the queen flexed her wings in greeting as she acknowledged Honey's presence. This queen (and hive) were her particular favourites; they had been her very first, and the colony was still going strong. New queen, admittedly, but still strong, and it always made her happy to visit, particularly now that the queen herself was flourishing.

It had taken a lot of hard work and sleepless nights, being careful to administer tiny drops of medicine, but it was worth it - these bees meant a lot to her, and to lose that particular queen so soon after losing her predecessor would have been devastating.

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 06/15/2016 5:14 PM

She made a soft humming sound - almost a buzz - of pleasure as she closed the hive, and stood still for a moment, breathing in the scent of flowers. Her flowers - well, her flowers for the moment anyway; she had a few days left to enjoy them before her harvest for the monthly market began.

The breeze blew gently across her face, and the mixed scents of the flowers floated around her as she breathed in deeply, trying not to let it escape her. This feeling, right here, this was perfection; no matter what, this was the life, and she wouldn't trade it for anything. This little piece of heaven was all hers, belonging to no-one else but the bees.

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 06/15/2016 5:18 PM

She worked diligently in the sunlight, filling bucket by bucket of the golden, sticky, syrupy goodness that was her life. She practically breathed honey and flowers; even the neighbours muttered about how it wasn't good to be so solitary, and yet she seemed so content.

She smiled as she bent down to pick up a bee that had accidentally bumped into her; they were gentle with her, and she had never been stung - even by accident. She liked to believe that they went out of their way to be gentle with her in exchange for her pleasant treatment of them.

She looked back at her filled buckets with glee; most of them would be sold, but she would hold on to one or two - sticky glazed cakes and honey on toast were just what she wanted in the warm evenings.

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 06/15/2016 5:22 PM

Her stomach rumbled as she was slotting the frame back into it's position, and she giggled softly. She couldn't help herself; once she started smelling the gorgeous honey she felt ravenous, even though she had only had lunch a short while ago.

She also had more plans for her garden this year; she wanted to get some strawberry plants going, and a couple of small fruit trees. There was nothing she could imagine tasting better than fresh fruit and honey on home-made bread, or mixed into homemade yogurt. She may be a beekeeper, but her baking and desserts had won her many prizes at the county fair, and often sold better than her other produce!

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 06/15/2016 5:43 PM

She brushed her hands off after slotting the final frame in place, and turned to view her colorful fields once again. Breathing in the deep scent of flowers had her as relaxed as she could be, and she had to shake herself in order to avoid dozing off before her tasks were complete.

She took the buckets of honey indoors and placed them in the pantry; she would let them mix overnight, then put them through the process of extraction in the morning. This would be a lot easier then once the honey had warmed up more, and she would be able to separate the wax much more easily.

Honey smiled; she had plans for this honey, and she was going to enjoy every minute of it!

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 06/16/2016 9:50 PM

Honey paused a moment to wipe the sweat off of her brow with the back of her forearm. It was hard work, mashing all of the honeycomb through a sieve with a spoon, but she enjoyed herself, and the bees always flew by to keep her company. Besides, she wouldn't find it half as satisfying to do it any other way, and this way she got to strain out most of the beeswax.

She sighed, and turned to dump the squeezed husk into the vat beside her; it was already half full and she still needed to collect the honey from the hives she had not visited the day before. This year was certainly turning out to be an abundant one for her bees!

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 06/16/2016 9:53 PM

She giggled to herself when she noticed she had made a mess on her porch during the separation process; she wasn't worried, however. The bees would soon clean it up, and she would be left with nothing but a little wax to buff into the wood, which would benefit the porch itself.

She placed the lids on the vat and the buckets she was working on, and stretched lazily in the late afternoon sunlight. She could hear the mild buzzing of her hives, and smell the fresh scent of flowers blooming on the breeze. In that moment, Honey was content with her life, and all things around her; it certainly didn't get more perfect than this.

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate