A wide open space in contrast to the dense Tengel jungle, the Sekudui Farmlands are open to all farmers and ranchers! There is much space available and plenty of resources to help raise some fine Tuskow or Roosken. (+3 Endurance, +2 Speed)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Sekudui Farmlands

Back To You (Self) (L)

Postby Isalynne » 06/29/2016 8:41 AM

Damn it, she had to go missing then, of all times.

Artem thought the world of his sister. August was a beautiful soul, had a wonderful heart and did her best at all times. There was only a slight unfortunate aspect - her memory was not excellent, and her timekeeping was even worse. Anything could distract her and draw her away from whatever it was that she had meant to have been doing, and it seemed that was exactly what had happened today. What had meant to be a brief excursion to search for a lost necklace had crawled on for over an hour, and worry had consumed him. He had to go and find her. She could have gotten anywhere.

"I swear to god, when I find you, August.." His angry muttering would do no good, but he still felt the relief of getting it off of his mind.
Isalynne
Master Veteran
Master Veteran
Pets | Items
Keystones: 1615
Donate

Re: Back To You (Self) (L)

Postby Isalynne » 06/29/2016 8:48 AM

The fields spread out in front of Artem, golden and inviting in the afternoon sunlight, but he did not feel comforted by it. Sure, it was unlikely that kidnappers of any sort would venture out this far with the intention of nabbing a poor forgetful girl. Even so, the irrational thoughts clawed at him angrily. Anyone could pick her up if this continued. She was such a sweet, trusting girl that she wouldn't even question it.

It made him feel ill.

Uninterested in the potential damage he could be doing to the crops, he waded through the waist-high wheat, scanning the ground intensely for any sign of his sister's presence.
Isalynne
Master Veteran
Master Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Isalynne » 06/29/2016 8:58 AM

It felt like Artem had been walking forever before he finally found the vaguest clue of the presence of another person. He could understand why this was farming country - the ground was obviously plenty fertile, with the endless miles of crop plantations and the occasional barn or farmhouse. Maybe she'd ended up going to one of them to find out where she was?

The footprints in the soil were such a relief to see that he could've dropped down and kissed them. August had been this way. With a bit of luck, he could follow the trail right to her, unless she had decided to wander off again. God, he was wishing on every conceivable deity that they would just give him this one damn break, for once in his life. Let her be easy to find this once, and he'd never complain about anything ever again.
Isalynne
Master Veteran
Master Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Isalynne » 06/29/2016 9:34 AM

The trail was consistent, which was an excellent sign. There were no other tracks either, which would suggest she was still alone - that was an extra relief. Artem wouldn't know what to do if she'd been taken by someone. It would probably be his fault if it did happen, too, and how would he live with himself after that? How could he carry on with the knowledge that he put her in that terrible danger?

Artem rubbed his forehead, both exhausted and furious. It wasn't her fault. They all knew that August was vulnerable to getting distracted when she was on her own, and yet they'd been stupid enough to let her go without accompanying her or even keeping an eye on her. What an idiotic thing. A small spiteful part of him wanted something to happen, just so his parents would finally realise the danger they were consistently putting their daughter in. It was quickly quashed, though. Getting back at them wasn't worth hurting August.
Isalynne
Master Veteran
Master Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Isalynne » 06/29/2016 2:10 PM

The further Artem went, the more logical the path got. August had done exactly what he had anticipated and had headed towards a barn he could see in the near distance. At least, she had if it was actually her he was following. Who else would be out here in the sticks wandering through fields? Plus, the footprints didn't look big enough to belong to a guy. Everything was turning up to be in his favour.

A fly buzzed annoyingly around his head, and he swatted at it, narrowing his eyes. Damn things. This was why the city was so much better than the country. There wasn't the horrible smell of manure or fertiliser or whatever the hell it was meant to be, and there were no convenient facilities or fast food joints or anything. They'd have to go miles for a decent fatty burger. August didn't seem to care, though - in fact, she was even happier than usual.
Isalynne
Master Veteran
Master Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Isalynne » 06/29/2016 5:55 PM

The barn's doors were wide open when Artem reached them. It was entirely empty other than stacks of hay, on which was perched the object of his issues - August, cross-legged with her hair in a loose braid and her necklace dangling prominently over the front of her dungarees.

"August!" Relief was palpable in his voice, and he rushed forwards towards her. August blinked hazily, confused by the noise. A while of peace and quiet had made her forget all about everything - not uncommon.

"Artem, hello!" She smiled. "I didn't expect to see you here!"
Isalynne
Master Veteran
Master Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Isalynne » 06/30/2016 6:24 AM

Didn't expect..? Artem's blood would definitely boil if August wasn't so dear to him. The girl was so clueless, totally oblivious to the danger she could have been in and the worry she'd caused him. Even the frantic nature of his movements didn't seem to bother her. She retained that ditzy smile, idly plucking at the hay with one hand, but he wasn't going to allow her to get distracted by that. Otherwise they'd be here for even longer.

"I was worried about you. Where have you been?" He made a conscious effort not to sound abrasive or angry, lest it scare her off. "I thought you were just going to look for your necklace."

"I was! That's where I've been! I've only been a few minutes!"

"You've been gone at least two hours."
Isalynne
Master Veteran
Master Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Isalynne » 06/30/2016 6:33 AM

August frowned. Had it really been that long? In her mind, all that had happened was that she'd gone scouting for the necklace, found it, and returned to.. wait. She looked around at her surroundings, suddenly quite baffled - it certainly wasn't where they'd been staying. It was very empty. What was she doing in a barn, anyway?

"I.." Her body grew tense as she desperately tried to put the pieces together. "I don't remember."

Artem instantly reached for her hand, pulling it gently away from what it was doing to the hay. She was grateful for the contact, rubbing her thumb along his knuckles in an attempt to ground herself.

"It's okay. I know you forget sometimes."
Isalynne
Master Veteran
Master Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Isalynne » 06/30/2016 9:51 AM

Everything seemed very heady and smoky all of a sudden, like she was trying to stare through Fog. August clung to her brother for dear life as she hopped down from her seat in the hay. The barn no longer looked welcoming to her - instead, it was foreboding and full of echoes, and she wanted to leave. Right away.

"I don't know what happened." Her voice cracked as she spoke, and tears began to well up in her eyes. "I don't know how I got here. I want to go, Artem. Please, let's go."

"Hey, hey, hey! I've got you. It's alright, we can go." Artem drew an arm around her and tugged her into his side, supporting her against him as they headed towards the door.
Isalynne
Master Veteran
Master Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Isalynne » 06/30/2016 9:55 AM

The sun was drooping in the sky when they stepped into the light - the sky had morphed from a vibrant blue to soft orange, warning of the oncoming night. They'd have to get moving quickly if they wanted to get back to the house before it was dark. August kept one hand clutching at her necklace and the other entwined with her brother's, heart still fluttering.

"I'm sorry, Artem." Her voice was tiny and timid when she spoke. "I didn't mean to.. I don't know what's wrong with me."

"It's okay. We'll get you help." Artem smiled encouragingly and rubbed her shoulder. The thought was meant to be uplifting, but reservations swirled in August's gut. What did that mean for her?
Isalynne
Master Veteran
Master Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate