A wide open space in contrast to the dense Tengel jungle, the Sekudui Farmlands are open to all farmers and ranchers! There is much space available and plenty of resources to help raise some fine Tuskow or Roosken. (+3 Endurance, +2 Speed)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Sekudui Farmlands

Dirty Tricks [self]

Postby Skeetzybug » 06/27/2017 11:57 PM

JUNE QUEST - SPRING CLEANING
[OUT OF UNIVERSE - WINE VALLEY FAE]

Daniel was beginning to have regrets.

Okay, perhaps ‘beginning to’ was an understatement. He was definitely having some regrets. He went over them one by one in his head as he lay on the ground, trapped under some unholy cardboard menace of a box that had somehow become immovable. To make matters entirely worse, his phone lay a good foot or so out of reach, and he stared forlornly at the object, as if it might find its own way to him somehow.

All the nonsense in this house, and his phone making its way to him was not one of the tricks? Ridiculous. Ridiculous!

He sleeps alone,
He needs no army where he's headed cause he knows
That they're just ghosts
And they can't hurt him if he can't see them
And I don't know
If in the morning I will be here and if so,
Let it be known
That I was worthy,
I was worthy,
I was worthy,
I was..
Imp Docs ☽☾ Zoo ☽☾ Wishlist
Skeetzybug
Master Veteran
Master Veteran
Pets | Items
Keystones: 90
Donate

Re: Dirty Tricks [self]

Postby Skeetzybug » 06/28/2017 12:09 AM

This entire situation was ridiculous. All he’d wanted to do was help out around the house a bit, and moving some old boxes around in the basement storage room sounded more than doable. At least, that’s what he’d thought, before he’d been rattled off an entire list of do-not’s before beginning. Apparently, there was not even safety in old boxes, here, as some of them contained old charms or spells that might have shifted over the years. Wonderful.

This had to be one of them, he figured, because ‘box that becomes too heavy to lift after you pick it up and it falls on you’ was not on the list. That he remembered. ...god damn it, was it on the list? He couldn’t even check! The stupid list was in his stupid bag which was sitting stupidly too far away from him to grab. That settled it, he was never taking it off again. He didn’t care if they said it looked stupid, he should know better than to take fashion advice from his friends. He was fabulous.

He sleeps alone,
That they're just ghosts
And I don't know
Let it be known
That I was worthy,
I was worthy,
I was worthy,
I was..
Skeetzybug
Master Veteran
Master Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Skeetzybug » 06/28/2017 12:11 AM

So fabulous, laying on the floor, under a box. He considered yelling for help, but the only one home right now was Hayden, and he did NOT want to be found like this by him. Like, ‘yeah hey super smokin’ hot worker guy I know you have better things to do but if you could come lift this cardboard box off me that would be ace?’ Uhm, no. Not in this century.

So, here he was, still lying under a box after what felt like an hour but was probably just 10 minutes, staring at the unfinished basement ceiling. He groaned, closing his eyes and gently smacking his head against the floor in repetition. Great. Now he hated cleaning, too! Would these god forsaken fairies leave nothing untouched?

He sleeps alone,
That they're just ghosts
And I don't know
Let it be known
That I was worthy,
I was worthy,
I was worthy,
I was..
Skeetzybug
Master Veteran
Master Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Skeetzybug » 06/28/2017 12:12 AM

In all the possibilities of things to go wrong during this study abroad program, getting mixed up in magic mayhem had definitely not been on the list. Magic, bah! The word itself still made him itch. Every time he asked for an explanation of something, of how it really worked, it was just a shrug and that damn word. As if just calling it magic was any excuse! The world didn’t work that way, and he didn’t care what anyone else was trying to tell him.

He folded his arms, scowling at the ceiling again. Of course, how could he have let himself get swept up in such complacent resignation? Giving up under a cardboard box. He could take care of this in a jiff, if he really thought about it. There had to be some basis of physics to this box, after all. He’d been able to pick it up in the first place, so he just had to figure out what caused the shift, and shift it back! Simple enough. In theory.

He sleeps alone,
That they're just ghosts
And I don't know
Let it be known
That I was worthy,
I was worthy,
I was worthy,
I was..
Skeetzybug
Master Veteran
Master Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Skeetzybug » 06/28/2017 12:19 AM

Nudging the box did not appear to be any help. He could hear something rolling around in there, ever so slightly, but no matter how he shifted the weight of the box, it didn’t seem to lessen the load. He groaned, head falling back against the ground again as another minute ticked past. How long had he even been here? Hours? Days?? He didn’t even know anymore. He was fed up to the brim with this.

Clunk clunk clunk.

He sleeps alone,
That they're just ghosts
And I don't know
Let it be known
That I was worthy,
I was worthy,
I was worthy,
I was..
Skeetzybug
Master Veteran
Master Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Skeetzybug » 06/28/2017 12:19 AM

That was not an unfamiliar sound in this house. Daniel twisted his head about, trying to get a view of the stairs. He leaned his head all the way back against the ground, watching in an upside-down manner as one very oblivious corgi came padding down the stairs towards him, doggy wheelchair in tow.

Waffles!” Daniel was aghast as he stared at the dog, still happily walking towards him. “No, naughty dog! What are you doing down here? You know you can’t get back up by yourself, you’re going and mucking everything up!” Waffles, of course, did not care. He simply came up to Daniel and starting sniffing in his hair. Daniel groaned again.

He sleeps alone,
That they're just ghosts
And I don't know
Let it be known
That I was worthy,
I was worthy,
I was worthy,
I was..
Skeetzybug
Master Veteran
Master Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Skeetzybug » 06/28/2017 12:41 AM

Welp. His fate, he decided, had been sealed. He might have been content to lay here, staring at the ceiling in a daze until he was found, but he could not condemn Waffles to such a fate. Also, he didn’t want to deal with the mess if the dog couldn’t get outside. He really, really didn’t want to deal with the mess.

“OI!” Waffles jumped as Daniel yelled, head tipped back to aim at the stairwell. “ANYONE IN THE HOUSE? I’VE A BIT OF A SITUATION DOWN HERE!” Silence. At least, for a second. After a moment the creak of an old door and the scuff of heavy boots echoed down. Daniel let out a breath he hadn’t realized he was holding - all right, perhaps he was a little relieved at some help. He watched, upside down again, as an increasingly-familiar figure descended the stairs.

He sleeps alone,
That they're just ghosts
And I don't know
Let it be known
That I was worthy,
I was worthy,
I was worthy,
I was..
Skeetzybug
Master Veteran
Master Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Skeetzybug » 06/28/2017 12:42 AM

Said relief left him immediately. Ah, yes, of course. Fate hated him, so naturally, despite all his hope that it would be literally anyone else,  it still would be Hayden that found him like this.

“Uh. Hey.” Great job, Danny, couldn’t make a worse impression right now! “Waffles came down the stairs. Think you could, er, take him back up?” The other man gave him a raised eyebrow as he assessed the situation in front of him. “I’d do it, of course, but I am. Otherwise occupied.” He made a noncommittal gesture towards the box on his chest. Maybe if he played it off as no big deal, Hayden would ignore it, and he could just die here, wallowed in his embarrassment.

He sleeps alone,
That they're just ghosts
And I don't know
Let it be known
That I was worthy,
I was worthy,
I was worthy,
I was..
Skeetzybug
Master Veteran
Master Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Skeetzybug » 06/28/2017 12:53 AM

Instead, Hayden simply stepped over Waffles and grabbed the box.

“Wait, no, uhm-”

He lifted it right off.

Son of a-

“What the shit.” It was not the most elegant expression of thanks, but it was all Daniel could manage right now. He just stared at the ceiling again as Hayden moved the box against the wall, snorting a bit at the words. Daniel sat up. “What the shit!! How did you-”

“You wearing iron?” Daniel stared at him, gobsmacked. Hayden simply stood by the box, watching him. Daniel shook his head.

He sleeps alone,
That they're just ghosts
And I don't know
Let it be known
That I was worthy,
I was worthy,
I was worthy,
I was..
Skeetzybug
Master Veteran
Master Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Skeetzybug » 06/28/2017 1:12 AM

“What?” Iron? Who in this day and age wore anything with iron on it? “No, of course not. Why in the world-” Hayden reached into the box, and lifted out what was, apparently, the cause of Daniel’s most recent troubles - a palm-sized, wax sealed bottle. He couldn’t tell what was inside. The contents shifted oddly, almost as if it were filled with some sort of smoke.

“Fae can’t touch iron,” he said, setting the bottle carefully back into the box as he did. “So it’s a fail-safe for most traps.” He pulled gently at the chain around his neck, pulling it out from where it tucked in his shirt. An old, old key hung from it. Huh. Not what he’d expected.

He sleeps alone,
That they're just ghosts
And I don't know
Let it be known
That I was worthy,
I was worthy,
I was worthy,
I was..
Skeetzybug
Master Veteran
Master Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Skeetzybug » 06/28/2017 1:13 AM

“You must be having a laugh,” he muttered, irritation peaking as he got to his feet. Could he not go five feet in this house without running into something like this? He was getting really, really tired of this.

“‘Scuse me?” He looked up from where he’d begun picking up his bag. Hayden was frowning at him, looking almost a bit offended. “It’s not a joke.” Ah, shit.

“No, mate, I don’t mean-” Daniel sighed, tired and downright down with today. “It’s a british thing. Just means I’m frustrated.”

He sleeps alone,
That they're just ghosts
And I don't know
Let it be known
That I was worthy,
I was worthy,
I was worthy,
I was..
Skeetzybug
Master Veteran
Master Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Skeetzybug » 06/28/2017 1:13 AM

“Ah.” Neither of them really seemed to know what to say after that. Daniel rocked on his feet, a dozen words on the tip of his tongue, but not able to get any of them out.

“I’ll.. just take Waffles back upstairs now,” he said, forcing a little smile. Hayden just nodded, still standing near the box and watching him. Okay then. Gathering up an armful of dog, he heaved Waffles and his wheelchair upstairs, muttering his grievances with the canine the entire way up. Not wanting to still be around when Hayden emerged, he quickly retreated to his room and stayed there for the rest of the night, groaning to himself against his desk and eventually, his pillow.

When he woke the next morning, a thin leather string had been looped around his doorknob. It hung a simple iron ring.

He sleeps alone,
That they're just ghosts
And I don't know
Let it be known
That I was worthy,
I was worthy,
I was worthy,
I was..