A wide open space in contrast to the dense Tengel jungle, the Sekudui Farmlands are open to all farmers and ranchers! There is much space available and plenty of resources to help raise some fine Tuskow or Roosken. (+3 Endurance, +2 Speed)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Sekudui Farmlands

[Winter] Holiday Spirit [L]

Postby Indigo » 12/19/2019 9:41 PM

A trio of graduate students stood outside the gate to the abandoned farm, huddled together against the cold. They were early. None of them had been able to agree on a departure time—Aryana's watch disagreed with Scops's phone, and Valerie had left their phone in the lab and so couldn't be tiebreaker, and it was Scops's car anyway so it was easier to go along with his insistence than to take the risk that he might make one of them drive.

Of course, Scops had only recently returned from a trip to see his family in Nssylai and his phone was still in the wrong time zone, but nobody had noticed that until they'd been on the road for half an hour, and at that point all they could do was find a Starbucks and waste some time there before continuing on their way. It hadn't been enough, and they still had a good twenty minutes until the agreed meeting time—in practice only ten minutes of waiting, probably, but you never knew—but they'd all rather stand out here in the cold than listen to one more second of Christmas radio, which was the only station they'd been able to pick up out here.

"Please explain to me again," Aryana said, "why we're going to a haunted house for Christmas."

"It's not a—"

"So they have an excuse to squeal and leap into Marcus's arms," Scops interrupted. "Obviously."

"I can do that whenever I want," Valerie snapped. "Anyway, it's not a haunted house, it was Marcus's idea and not mine, and none of us even celebrates Christmas so I really don't see why you have to make such a big thing out of it. If you didn't want to go maybe you should have said something before we drove 70 miles to Sekudui."

"Someone's in a mood," Aryana said, and sipped her cappuccino.

"Sorry. I don't like being early to things."

She patted their shoulder. "Val," she said, "what I need you to understand is that when you and Marcus invited us to this place, you specifically told us it was not a haunted house, and that's not something anybody was worried about until you mentioned it."

"Also," Scops said, "I respect that you have more information about this than we do, but it does look pretty fucking haunted."

They all fell silent again as they looked across the snowy expanse of farmland. It was December, and very cold, but there was something about the space beyond the gate that looked even colder somehow. Thicker snow. Bigger icicles on that distant barn than any they'd seen in the last town they'd passed through. That eerie, watchful forest, which looked basically like a regular forest in winter but nevertheless had something off about it. Or possibly that was just how forests were. Valerie had never actually been in a forest of any meaningful size, and they were willing to bet their friends hadn't either.

"I see your point," they said.

[Section 1: The Front Gate - 1]
Indigo
Well-Traveled Trainer
Well-Traveled Trainer
Pets | Items
Keystones: 329
Donate

Re: [Winter] Holiday Spirit [L]

Postby Indigo » 01/04/2020 11:28 PM

"At least we'll finally get to meet Aryana's secret girlfriend," Scops said after a moment.

"She's not a secret," Aryana said, "or you wouldn't even know I had a girlfriend."

"But we haven't met her, she doesn't go to our school, we don't even know her name! That's pretty secret in my opinion," he said. "Almost too secret, if you get my meaning."

Aryana took another calm sip of her drink. "In that case, you should be accusing me of not having a girlfriend at all, shouldn't you?"

"Wait," Valerie said. By long habit they automatically tuned out Scops's pot-stirring and it had taken a bit for them to pick up on the crucial detail. "No one told me Aryana's girlfriend was coming. When did this happen?"

"Really, Val, what's the point of having a group text if you don't ever look at it?"

"She was a late addition," Aryana said. "Last night. Marcus said it would be fine, so I think we all assumed he'd asked you directly."

Marcus had probably meant to tell them directly; between the two of them quite a few things hadn't happened last night that they'd meant to do, because there was some kind of lab emergency and Marcus had to rush off to make sure the lizards were secure, and then he got stuck there so late it wasn't worth coming back to Valerie's and presumably anything not lizard-related had slipped his mind. Oh well. "It is fine," they said. "I've been wondering about her myself."

At this moment another car pulled into the space next to Scops's, an aging black station wagon which bore almost no distinguishing features but which Valerie recognized anyway. Something about the chipped paint around one of the doors, maybe. It parked without fanfare and immediately discharged Marcus, who waved and jogged over to the three of them.

"I'm so glad you're here," Valerie said, and struck a dramatic pose. "I need someone to defend my honor from Scops, he's throwing all kinds of terrible accusations at me."

"If he's accusing you of forgetting your phone again, I can't help you."

"I hadn't gotten to that one yet, but thanks for spoiling my plans," Scops said cheerfully.

"I'm sure you'll think of something else." Marcus slung an arm around Valerie and kissed their forehead. "Don't worry, if he starts making shit up I'll be here to defend you."

"My hero," they said, leaning into him.

Aryana had a talent for rolling her eyes audibly, and she exercised it now. "Rosalie had better get here soon. I'd much rather face down ghosts than stand out here in the cold all day."

"So she does have a name," Valerie said.

"Don't you start."

[Section 1: The Front Gate - 2]
Indigo
Well-Traveled Trainer
Well-Traveled Trainer
Pets | Items
Keystones: 329
Donate