In contrast to the Dead Coast, Sa'fir Coast is jokingly referred to as the world's largest pepper deposit because of its black sand beaches. They attract tourists, who can enjoy the tropical landscape of Barakka without facing its harsh environments. (+2 Endurance)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Sa'fir Coast

A New Outlook [Me and Baal]

Postby Mojave » 09/13/2010 1:53 AM

Sa'fir Coast! Your escape from the melancholic and routine. Bright colors had popped from the brochure displaying happy people having a good time with family, friends, and loved ones. The promise in the italicized catch phrase seemed legitimate enough and so here she was. Brightly clad tourists and locals, brightly colored awnings, tents, and umbrellas- not to mention the swim suits and beach paraphernalia. There were even the promised smiles, bustle of business and other activities, and the wonderful smells of all kinds of food. Even the weather had kept it's promise as it was currently brilliantly bright with the occasional cloud cover and the balmy breeze blowing almost constantly. It was as if... everything was chock full of happiness and screamed 'relaxation!'.

But it was all empty; none of it seemed to touch Noka in her state of depression. Even Hak'kai, her closest companion whom she had sacrificed her true form to free from Basantha had wished to leave her side. He wouldn't say as much, but Noka knew it was because she depressed him. So rather than permeate her negative feelings around all the other happy folk, she retreated to the coast. The sea wall overlooked the beach several hundred feet below and the tiny specks of people playing games in the surf. Behind her, the shops were getting ready for the more romantic atmosphere of dusk and night, even though it was only four in the afternoon. As the proof of life moving on without her sounded around her, Noka gazed at the clouds rolling in from the sea... and daydreamed of what they had seen out on the open ocean.

The salt scented breeze ruffled her flaccid tresses, the dull color somewhat hidden in the brilliant sunlight. The woman possessing those drab locks was just as melancholic as her appearance. Her present posture was that of the everyday day dreamer- leaning on the railing overlooking the tropical coastline, eyes vacant as she stared into her own thoughts, head resting in one cupped palm, the other hand protecting that supportive elbow from the unyielding rails. Perhaps the only 'lively' thing about her was her attire- a knee length sun dress with black and white checker pattern accented with red and gold accessories.

As the breeze strengthened into a blast of cooler air, she was revived from her reveries as a bit of her hair was blown into her eyes and a few stray strands stuck in her eyelashes. "Eh!" She shook her head, stood straight, and proceeded to gather her hair behind her. With an elastic band that had been on her wrist, she tied her hair into a messy bunch and let it fall down her back once more. Her bangs were confined by their ends, but hung loosely about her face while the shorter strands remained free.

Shaking off her thoughts, she began to wander down the sea-wall, no purpose in her stride. It was as if she didn't exactly know where she was, if her demeanor was any indication. With a blank expression, she looked around herself until she saw a young man walking towards her. "Excuse me, sir!" She extended a hand as if to touch him, but faltered and instead pressed it back against the base of her neck. "Do you know what time it is?" Her eyes were averted to the left and downwards. Her only impression was of orange in his hair and a thin frame.
Pen . Docs . Sales . Wishes . About . RP Records . Journal . DA . FR
Mojave
Well-Traveled Explorer
Well-Traveled Explorer
Pets | Items
Keystones: 584
Donate

Re: A New Outlook [Me and Baal]

Postby BaalsBaby » 12/09/2010 3:57 AM

~**~

The boy had been on the move. He'd been travelling for so long without, and it was here he decided to finally take a breather and rest. The atmosphere was nice at least, lively with the sounds of nature intermingling with that of folk just enjoying life as they did. The waves of salty water washed  gently against the barrier of the sea, a sound he hadn't heard since his month-like trip from the Slums, across the continent. The boy, known simply as Raz, kept to himself as he entered the city, choosing to walk a peaceful and fairly undisturbed course along the railing of the seawall to get a better view of the ocean. As he strolled along, Raz let his hand trace along the cool metal bars of the railing, the metal sliding against fingerless black gloves. The wind rustled through his short, coal-black hair, streaked with orange, as it came up from the lungs of the ocean. Aside from feeling salty, Raz was rather enjoying this little break.

Despite that he was simply minding his own business, he sometimes got a stare or two from his entire. The poor guy looked as if he were toasty, dressed for the winter almost. A black leather vest over a long-sleeved black shirt with orange patches sewn onto them; greying pants that looked like they'd seen better days. A messenger bag hung at his side with ease, bouncing against his hip now and again. Overall the boy looked like a poorly dressed vagrant, a look he'd procured so as not to draw too much attention to himself. His true attire was left, olded neatly in his bag if he so needed to change for whatever reason, among other things.

So, dressed as so, he was rather surprised when a stunning young woman approached him, holding her hand out in what looked like a gesture of uncertainty. Well, he couldn't turn her down for whatever reason, and he wasn't in any hurry, so he stopped and propped one hand up to the strap of his messenger bag. "Oh, the time?" Pulling up the sleeve of one hand, his brown.. almost... orange? eyes glinted in the afternoon sun as he glanced at an old sports watch clasped around his wrist. "It's 4:26, ma'am," he smiled politely, wondering why she was alone. "Is there somewhere you have to be?" She looked as if she were dressed to go and... well.. he didn't know. Party? Or... something. Something regular people did around this time for fun. He wasn't exactly an expert on that subject, for one, as he wasn't... really human to begin with. And that was just the start of his troubles.

[1]

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
BaalsBaby
Site Admin
Site Admin
Pets | Items
Keystones: 987
Donate

Postby Mojave » 12/18/2010 1:14 AM

She dipped her head at his question, some of her hair coming further loose to fall before her eyes. "Oh... no, not really. I just... forgot to put one on. This morning." As she spoke, her head rose and she moved her arms behind her back, one hand holding the opposite arm above the elbow.

Getting a good look at him, she wondered why such an attractive young man would dress so... well.. down. Course, he was way too young for her, what with being in her mid twenties and all. But she still had the presence of mind to notice attractive people. She supposed that was a good thing- just proof that Drac hadn't destroyed all of her. And of course, thoughts of her lover brought up thoughts of her son.

Tears began to swim in her eyes and she quickly flicked her head to the side to look back out at the ocean. Here she was having yet another melt down begin and now she was going to waste this young man's time. She felt absolutely useless.

"I'm sorry to have bothered you. Thank you again for your service and have safe travels." This time she had to keep her face averted, hoping he wouldn't see the rogue tear that fell down her cheek. She gave him a tiny curtsy and then turned and walked away from him, not even noticing she was going in the direction he had been headed in.
Mojave
Well-Traveled Explorer
Well-Traveled Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby BaalsBaby » 12/20/2010 8:52 PM

"Oh, I see," he smiled politely at the mention of her leaving any source of time-telling behind. He nodded his head and was about to continue on his way when he noticed the aversion of her gaze towards the sea. Like she was hiding something. The woman did seem very distressed, so instead of leaving, he took just one step closer. He wasn't really good with these sorts of things, especially since he'd hadn't seen his sister for far too long, but if he could help any, he'd try perhaps.

"Listen. I couldn't help but notice.. you seem to be in a bit of distress. Is there anything I could help with? I am, after all, sort of just killing time." For now, at least. Everything seemed to be pretty quiet around here so far as he could see, so he wasn't in any hurry. He reached out with his free hand now, stopped and considered, then eventually placed it on her shoulder gently.

[2]

BaalsBaby
Site Admin
Site Admin
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Mojave » 12/20/2010 9:10 PM

At his command to listen to him, she paused; and despite how accustomed to taking orders she was, she couldn't help but notice his softer tone. It made it a little easier on her psychologically. Ever since Drac had left, she had refused to take orders from anyone, sometimes losing her temper and hurting whoever tried to control her.

The tears began to flow freely when he pointed out her condition, though she managed to keep all sounds of her weeping muted. So he wanted to help... how nice, if not a lot too late. If only someone as nice as him had shown up before. The pressure of his hand on her shoulder seemed to be a sort of switch. If only you could change the past. Take back all the hurt that he did to us. Give me my son back.

She wasn't aware she had spoken these thoughts until after she said them, and fighting harder to contain her misery, she started walking again, not even bothering to brush his hand aside. Let him grab her and try to make her talk. Let him try whatever he wanted. It wouldn't matter, wouldn't change anything. And if he pushed her too far, she'd make him let go and forget about her troubles. They were just that- HER troubles. I'm sorry... there's nothing you can do. Don't let me.... She took a steadying breath and turned to smile sadly at him. You should go enjoy your free time then.
Mojave
Well-Traveled Explorer
Well-Traveled Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby BaalsBaby » 12/20/2010 9:51 PM

When she replied, Raz didn't know what to make of her answer. He knew it wasn't his business, but he was somewhat of a bleeding heart, and he couldn't just let her walk away weeping like that unless she truly did wish to be left alone. He removed his hand when she started walking, but began to walk alongside her now, trying to keep pace with this poor weeping maiden.

"Ah. I'm sorry. I can't change the past, no. And I'm not really sure who 'he' is. But sometimes, it helps to talk about it if you wanted to, of course." Another soft smile. He'd heard somewhere that, yeah, talking helped alleviate inner pain at times, though of course, he'd never tried this himself what with being alone most of his life. Such was the nomadic decision he'd chosen, though he wished otherwise. "Did this happen just recently?" From her words, it sounded as if it were farther in the past, but her tears said otherwise so he truly had no idea.

[3]

BaalsBaby
Site Admin
Site Admin
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Mojave » 12/21/2010 1:54 PM

Ignoring his attempts to get her to talk, she continued walking as she tried to reign in her emotions. She shouldn't have come here, the light atmosphere just hurt more than being in the company of other miserable souls. And here this young man was, trying to help her even though he had never met her. It was just.... nice. Which hurt all the more because it was so different than what she was used to.

"No, I suppose in a teenager's perspective, this was long ago. Thank you again for your kind words but I really need to be alone right now."

She quickened her pace to emphasize the brush-off, and despite not knowing where she was headed or what she was going to do, she kept heading in the direction the sea wall took her. Of course, if she had been paying attention, things could have turned out differently. But then... change is sometimes a good thing.
Mojave
Well-Traveled Explorer
Well-Traveled Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby BaalsBaby » 01/08/2011 6:07 AM

While the girl was being polite about it, she still didn't seem to really want to open up enough to talk about whatever was bothering her. He could have kept pestering her about it, but that would've just added to her distress, he presumed. "Ah... Alright... I understand, have a good day then, ma'am," he said to her back as she sped up and went down along the walkway without so much as a look back. What an odd meeting, and yet he couldn't help but feel saddened that he couldn't have helped any more. He obviously didn't enjoy seeing anyone in such a distressed state, but if they didn't want to be helped, it was es to let them be he supposed. Maybe. Sighing, he crossed his arms and simply walked in the woman's direction, since that's the way he'd been headed anyway. Ah well... "Well that was. Yeah." Raz spoke to no one in particular, simply shoving his hands into his pockets and continuing his walk.

It was, of course, not planned that they would ever meet again, these two. There were, however, other things coming into play, as Noka continued to walk. There were eyes on her though, those not belonging to just any wayward tourist or passing pervert. They were hidden in an alleyway, much closer to the city than the seawall, for it was too open out there near the railings close to the beach, and so they just watched and followed like errant shadows, waiting for an opportune moment and for her to be alone...

[4]

BaalsBaby
Site Admin
Site Admin
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Mojave » 04/06/2011 6:57 PM

It didn't take long to get away from the young man, and once alone, she sighed. So much for her plans... Not paying attention to where her feet were taking her, she began to meander through the thin alleys of the city- not dank ones where garbage was thrown, but the ones meant for traveling with stairs taking inhabitants and tourists to different levels of the city. Regardless of how aesthetic they were, they were also quite deserted. In the reigning silence, her thoughts went back to that worn track of depression and regret.

If she could have kept her attention to her surroundings, she would have noticed the natural beauty around her. The mosaics in the walls and walkways, the plant life, the brief glimpses into people's homes and window gardens, the smell of the ocean and eateries in the area, any number of things. And if she could have seen these things, she would have known she was being followed a lot sooner.

It started as a nagging thought in the back of her head, distracting her from her well worn path of dreary thoughts. Ignoring it only helped for so long; the feeling of bugs crawling down the back of her neck was growing stronger- and was there a sound? Of footprints or breathing close by? If she focused on it, she couldn't hear it, and even stopping to listen didn't assure her of a pursuer. For a few more minutes, she decided she was just paranoid and hearing the sounds of her own passage thrown back at her by the closed in walls. Feeling claustrophobic, she began looking for an exit from the alleys. But she was deep in the corridors now... and worse, she hadn't been paying attention to where she was going, so retracing her steps was out of the question. And even worse than all the above, she couldn't revert to her natural form due to size and space conflicting. She would bring several buildings down if she tried...
Mojave
Well-Traveled Explorer
Well-Traveled Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate