In contrast to the Dead Coast, Sa'fir Coast is jokingly referred to as the world's largest pepper deposit because of its black sand beaches. They attract tourists, who can enjoy the tropical landscape of Barakka without facing its harsh environments. (+2 Endurance)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Sa'fir Coast

Re: "I'm just here for the sun and to annoy the locals." [P;

Postby Mousen » 06/04/2015 12:09 PM

At the noise, Zari too sat bolt upright, but before she could say anything to her fiancee he was already gone. She swore quietly under her breath, swinging herself out of bed and brushing her wrinkled clothes down as she went. The caravan only had two rooms, so it only took her to peak around the door to see what was going on. Oh! That was the little girl Belias was so fond of. She'd heard him mention her several times throughout the years they'd been together, but with Belias being gone so often, Zari had never had the chance to meet her.

It surprised her, to see how openly affectionate he was. He was openly affectionate with her of course, but so rarely with anyone else. It was pretty cute, all things considered. Not wanting to interrupt their reunion Zari hung around by the doorway of the caravan.

After a moment or two she asked. "I take it that this is the Betty you always tell me about, huh?"

We’re all hysterical & going nowhere together.

C’mon rapture. Let’s go bedazzling.

Nothing gets futured without its own spitshine
& I’m already not not not not not not miraculous.

Mousen
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Keystones: 160
Donate
Status: Jack of all trades is master of none, but better than a Master's degree.

Postby MythicDusk » 02/17/2018 6:46 PM

Belias couldn't help his overprotective start, his muscles bunching for a moment before he relaxed, a smile creeping to his lips as Betty's large, faded green eyes peered over his mountainous shoulder, up at the other woman.
"Pretty!" She exclaimed, showing her gapped teeth with a large grin. She was practically adorable and Belias couldn't help his laugh as he carefully cradled Betty on his knee, his arm wrapped around her shoulders.

"Zari, love, this is Betrayal, or Betty. Betty, this is my soon-to-be wife, Zari."

Betty's eyes grew wide as she looked up from the ground to him, her small jaw hanging slack. "You're getting married?" She breathed, before throwing a suspicious look to Zari, before climbing to her feet on his lap, whispering in the not-so-discreet way that children often did into his ear, "She's too pretty, unca Beli. I think you're lying."

At this point, Belias looked to Zari for assistance, a smile cracking his lips.

I want it to be you, ooh
Diving into my ocean
A brand new emotion come true, ooh
Don't let this night, don't let this night go

How long 'til you play me the song
That will make me belong to you?
One dance with my baby tonight
And we'll dance 'til the night is through

Jax Jones ft. Years & Years - Play

Zoo Pen
MythicDusk
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Pets | Items
Keystones: 425
Donate

Postby Mousen » 02/18/2018 6:38 AM

Pretty? Perhaps an exaggeration in her current state. She wiped away some of the smudged kohl from underneath her eyes, and pulled a hairband from her wrist to tie up her messy hair. Bent down so she was closer to Betty's eye level. "Hello, Betty. Belias has told me all about you. He didn't tell me how sweet you were, though."

Aw. No wonder Belias went to mush when he spoke about her. "Yeah, your Uncle Belias asked me to marry him." There was a mischievous glint in her eyes as she reached her hands around his shoulders. Resting her hands on his cheeks she squished his face, making him resemble a rather disgruntled fish. "I mean, how could I say no to that face?" Zari couldn't help but giggle.

Mousen
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate
Status: Jack of all trades is master of none, but better than a Master's degree.

Postby MythicDusk » 02/18/2018 1:38 PM

Belias played along, always happy to play the fool for Betty, crossing his eyes and moving his lips to make the look of a fish all that more complete, and Betty began laughing from the pits of her stomach, rocking on Belias' knee with glee.

Eventually, Belias shook away Zari's hands gently, his own grin stretched as far as it could go across his face. He leaned forward, chuckling deep in his chest as the child's laughter began to settle in her chest, a delighted humm echoing from her throat as she nuzzled deeper into Belias' broad, bare chest.

"I like you, Zari." Betty grinned into Belias' chest, her small hand creeping up around Belias' shoulder, the palm up and open, offering her hand for Zari to hold. "I know you'll make unca Beli happy."

I want it to be you, ooh
Diving into my ocean

Zoo Pen
MythicDusk
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Mousen » 02/18/2018 3:10 PM

Zari hadn't thought she'd ever be part of something this sweet. She fixed the image of Belias and Betty laughing together in her memory, before it could slip away. There was something that she would keep. She moved her hands away from his face one absent-mindedly running reaching to go through his hair.

She smiled, taking Betty's hands in hers. Goodness, it was small. "Thank you, petal. I'm so glad I've finally got to meet you."

She paused. "Shall I take you to get some breakfast while Belias gets ready for the day? I think Goodwin might be making some pancakes." They were easy enough to cook in front of an open fire, and Charlie's favourite hangover food.

Mousen
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MythicDusk » 02/18/2018 3:18 PM

For a moment, Betty looked to Belias, who gave her a soft touch of a nod, and a grin spread wide across her face as she jumped from his knee, her hand still in Zari's. "I'd like that." She smiled up at the woman, her faded eyes looking around her in wonderment for seemingly the first time.

Before going inside, Belias touched Zari gently, softly on her waist, kising her cheek. "She likes stories, love. Especially ones about brave knights and princesses." He grinned, giving a wink to Betty who's face lit up in delight.

"You know stories?" She breathed, watching Zari in awe.

Belias figured, that even if Zari couldn't tell any, she knew someone who could. He smiled as he headed back inside to get ready for the day.

I want it to be you, ooh
Diving into my ocean

Zoo Pen
MythicDusk
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Mousen » 02/18/2018 3:51 PM

Zari looked down at Betty and smiled. "Great!"

She leaned into Belias' touch, resting her head on his chest a moment. "I'll see what I can do."

The young woman held Betty's hand tightly down the steps of the caravan, making sure she didn't fall. She turned around just before Betty reached the front step in case she wanted to jump. Although Zari hadn't helped too much with her little sisters back home, she'd learned a few things. "I do have a story, one that my mother used to tell me along ago. It's a story from my home, where the deserts stretch on for miles and rich kings build glittering palaces out of the sand," she was exaggerating, a little, but who cared?  "but it's not about a princess. It's about the very beautiful daughter of a gardener. She was very lovely and smart and kind, and everyone in the kingdom loved her..." Her voice carried the well-known story well as she walked Betty down to the main part of the circus. There wasn't too many people awake at this hour of the morning, most of them were night owls. She could see Milan and Pepijin talking outside their tent and gave them a wave, even without their clown costumes, they were still an odd couple.

It was only a minute or so until they reached the main campfire, where, as luck would have it, Goodwin was cooking pancakes on her trusty old cast iron pan. She gave one of them an expertly-timed flip before setting it down in front of Charlie, who caught sight of Zari as she turned the corner.

"And each night she told him another story, just without the ending, so he would keep her alive for another night and another night to hear the end of her tale. She told him about pirates and giant birds and people from far off lands much different to mine and then, 1001 nights had passed and--"

"Come to steal our food?" Charlie called, waving her over.

"Of course! Betty here would like one of your wonderful pancakes, Goodwin."

Mousen
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MythicDusk » 02/18/2018 4:10 PM

Betty was amazed by the story, her eyes wide, her breath coming in short gasps with every turn and twist, every climax. She felt a whine build in her throat at the fact that Zari had been interrupted in her story, but cut it off with a clearing of her throat, trying to not be impolite.

She looked over to the person that Zari was speaking to, her eyes wide as she nuzzled her face a little deeper into her rainbow scarf, a blush reaching the tip of her ears. There were lots of people, but she still had Zari. She was safe with Zari, just like she would be safe with Beli. But that didn't stop her squeezing Zari's hand a little tighter out of anxiety.

I want it to be you, ooh
Diving into my ocean

Zoo Pen
MythicDusk
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Mousen » 03/02/2018 7:55 PM

Goodwin nodded, giving the shy girl next to Zari a soft smile.

Zari sat down on one of the stools by the fire, and pulled up another one right next to her for Betty. The young girl's impatience had not been lost on Zari. "And then," she began again as Goodwin poured more pancake mix into her frying pan. "After 1001 nights, the Gardener's daughter had no more stories to tell. She had to tell the prince that she had no more stories for him. But, after those 1001 nights and the 1001 stories she told, the Prince had changed. He was no longer the cruel, heartless man. All the wonder and excitement had changed him and he'd fallen madly in love with Scheherazade, and wished to live with her as his queen for the rest of their lives. And so they did, and lived happily ever after."

Zari gave Betty's hand a little squeeze. "Are you all right, petal? I know its a bit new and scary here, but I promise everyone is really nice," she smiled. "Look, I think Goodwin is about to flip your pancake."

Goodwin gave Zari a look, and sighed, resigned. She let the pancake slide around for a moment, building up momentum, and then over the fire, flipped it high into the air and catching it with apparent ease.

"You did it!"

"Of course, anything for my audience."

Mousen
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MythicDusk » 03/02/2018 8:12 PM

Betty watched with wide eyes, gasping in delight at how Goodwin flipped the pancake, a grin spreading across her cheeks as she clapped in delight, a laugh toying with her throat.

For a moment, Betty's heart was at peace. She was delighted by the story, by the show, by Belias' happiness. Then, the anxiety crashed over her like a wave and she let the laugh trail off in what she supposed was a natural way. He felt her blush grow more, burn her neck and her ears, tears spikingi n the corners of her eyes.

She grabbed Zari's hand, squeezing it gently in a form of apology for her noise. She felt her hands begin to shake gently, closing her eyes tight.

I want it to be you, ooh
Diving into my ocean

Zoo Pen
MythicDusk
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Mousen » 03/02/2018 8:22 PM

Zari watched Betty for a moment, glad that she'd managed to bring some happiness to her. Though, before she was even finished laughing some fear seemed to come over her. "Betty, sweetheart, what's the matter?" She placed another hand over hers. "It's all right, I promise. Did something frighten you?"

She looked over the girl, trying to determine if it was something physical, but didn't see anything unsual, then glanced around the rest of the campsite. It was difficult to see things through the eyes of a child and although the camp was quiet now, just the strangeness of the place could be making her upset. She really didn't want to bring Betty back to Belias in tears, it felt like a failure. He cared about her so damn much and she really, really didn't want to fail him or the little girl in front of her.

"We can take your food back to the caravan? Would that be better? Go and see Belias?"

Mousen
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MythicDusk » 03/02/2018 8:33 PM

"Go and see Belias for what?"

His voice was a rumble in his chest, a sound that made Betty instantly relax, which made the red run from her cheeks and her shoulders relax. Belias sat heavily besides Betty, looking up to Zari with a look of apology.

"Would it be okay if I explained it to Zari, love?" His voice was soft as he wrapped a large arm around Betty, who nodded gently, resting her head on his slowly expanding ribs, closing her eyes and listening to the sound reverberate through his chest as he spoke.

"Betty wasn't originally in a very good home." He began, speaking softly. "She was..." He paused for a moment, trying to keep himself from tensing at the memory of the filthy cage, of the cowering pup which barely made a sound. He swallowed hard, trying to keep himself loose. "Betty is scared of making too much sound. She's getting better, but it's still a fear that sits with her."

Belias felt Betty's small hands fist in his shirt. "'mnot doing better." She whispered, a tremble running over her small shoulders.

Belias gently smoothed a hand down her back, running his large fingers through her hair as he cooed soothingly to her, looking to Zari with as much of an apology as he could muster.

I want it to be you, ooh
Diving into my ocean

Zoo Pen
MythicDusk
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Mousen » 03/03/2018 6:26 PM

When Zari heard Belias' voice, she felt relief flood through her. She hadn't realised how worried she'd been, then again, it had been a long time since she'd last looked after any children. Not since she was a child herself and looking after her younger siblings. Which, as she recalled, had not ended particularly well. She'd helped out when children had gotten lost at the circus a couple of times from time to time, but even that hadn't happened for a couple of years.

She glanced from Betty to Belias as Belias spoke. She knew him well enough to know when he was softening something bad, when he was fighting to keep an even expression. The relief turned to something else, sinking to the pit of her stomach. "Not a very good home" was far, far too ambiguous for her liking. She'd hoped, or rather expected, that Betty had not yet suffered through any of the horrors that the world was made up of. Knowing that she was wrong hit in a way that made the earth feel like it was the wrong way round.

Zari nodded. She had the urge to take Betty to shout from the top of every rooftop she could find, until she was never afraid of being loud. There was time for that yet, when the fear didn't have her in its grip.

She gently smoothed Betty's hair away from her face, trailing her hands through it. "I understand. You'll get there, though, petal. It'll just take time," she said to Betty. She looked up at Belias, her eyes carrying a strange light.

She realised she was furious on the behalf of this girl.

Mousen
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MythicDusk » 03/03/2018 6:37 PM

Betty nodded gently into Belias' side, muttering something that sounded like an apology before Belias hushed her gently.

"You have nothing to be sorry for my dear. You won't be afraid anymore soon." He moved his large hand, touching the underside of Betty's chin, making her tilt her tear-streaked face up to him. He knew he could feel his shirt getting steadily wetter. "I'll keep you safe, remember? And Zari will help." He murmured gently, kissing Betty's forehead as she sniffled.

"U-unca Beli? My scar hurts." The child whimpered, touching her left shoulder with a nervous hand, swallowing hard. Belias felt a frown pull at his lips, a coil of hurt begin in his gut.

"Do you want me to check it now?" He asked gently, looking up to Zari with a flash of worry in his eyes as the child nodded softly, carefully unwinding her scarf and carefully unbuttoning the left shoulder of her shirt, obviously having been specially made, turning to face Zari as she put her back to Belias.

Belias felt guilt and horror tear through his gut at the sight, as it did every time. The thick, raw scar that ran over the young girl's shoulder, curving from the top of her left shoulderblade, up to the deltoid, before shearing down in a vicious line to her armpit. He ran his fingers carefully along the edge of the scar, making Betty wince as he hushed her softly.

"I know, my dear. I know. I'm so sorry. What kind of pain is it?" He was used to pains. He knew that the different typed of pain were. He knew how to help them. But there was one thing they always had to do that made Belias' heart constrict.

Betty rolled her small shoulder in a shrug, the one that Belias wasn't inspecting. "Just hurts." She murmured, bowing her head, trying to sniffle away tears as she rubbed her eyes with the back of her free hand.

I want it to be you, ooh
Diving into my ocean

Zoo Pen
MythicDusk
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Mousen » 05/23/2018 6:41 PM

Zari looked from Belias to Betty and back again as the conversation unfolded. Her eyebrows knitted together in concern at the mention of a scar, but as Belias undid the buttons on the shoulder of the young girls t-shirt and exposed her injury, Zari stifled a gasp. She felt like she'd been slapped across the face, she was reeling from the shock that someone could do this to a young child and the horror that the child that it had happened to was the sweet little thing in front of her. There was absolutely nothing she could do about it now.

Zari quickly righted her expression, letting a little bit of her hair fall across her face, allowing her a bit of cover as she composed herself.

She took a quiet, steadying breath and for a moment she could almost hear Drucilla in her head, the way she used to speak to her when she was still teaching her to dance. "There's no use crying over spilt milk, my darling, You just have to do what you can to make things better."

Zaru tucked her hair behind her ears, and stood to place a hand on Belias' back. "Can I do anything, love?"

Mousen
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

PreviousNext