In contrast to the Dead Coast, Sa'fir Coast is jokingly referred to as the world's largest pepper deposit because of its black sand beaches. They attract tourists, who can enjoy the tropical landscape of Barakka without facing its harsh environments. (+2 Endurance)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Sa'fir Coast

Rusted Chains [P; L/B/V]

Postby zapdragon555 » 12/04/2016 11:54 PM

[This RP will contain depictions of slavery in a historical context,
but probably won't be terribly graphic; all the same, proceed with caution if this upsets you.
Also, lots of foreign language speak in the dialogue--actions will be written in English, though.]

Moony was standing as still as a statue, overwhelmed by the amount of bodies pressing in on him from all sides. His tattered clothes provided little protection from the scraping metal around his neck and wrists. He couldn't feel his legs anymore, but were he able to form conscious thought at the moment, he'd probably realize how much the shackles around his ankles were digging into his skin. At least the noise had died down for the most part. He was surrounded by at least fifty boys around his age, and for a long time, they'd been crying. The noise and the touch from all sides had stunned Moony into fearful lockdown. Were he able to move his arms, he might've stricken one of the boys, just to make room--fight or flight had taken over long ago, and Moony could do neither.

It was like this, with any stranger. If more than one sense was overwhelmed, Moony's brain entered a kind of autopilot. Kill or run away or freeze. Freezing was by default typically the best thing he could do. Moony had learned long ago that killing was wrong, but in his panic, he'd hurt people. He hated that. He could feel their pain exploding in his brain--and could feel the boys around him, too. Their pain. Their fear. It mounted in Moony like a rising, frantic tide.

How had he come to this? Moony didn't know where he was. Moony didn't know when he was, nor did he know that the concept of being in a when was even to be considered. All he knew was that he didn't know these people, nor did he know the ship deck he was standing on, nor had he ever even seen the ocean. He still couldn't. But he could hear it.

They'd found him on the ship in the captain's quarters, standing in front of his mirror. The first thing Moony had remembered was seeing his reflection. And then the crew had grabbed him, bound him, threatened him in a language that Moony did not understand, and shoved him deep into the crowd of other boys. They'd spoken softly to him to try to calm him, but everything was chaos in Moony's mind and every sound and breath and quiet sob around him only added to that chaos.

The ship was slowly coming into port. And with it, a great ruckus began to raise on the ship, so sudden that Moony snapped out of his daze. He was still afraid. But he could wiggle his fingers, now. He'd hold onto that.

But there will come a time
You'll see, with no more tears
And love will not break your heart
But dismiss your fears
Get over your hill and see
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

"Tomorrow will be a good day."

Pen | New Pen | Breed | Wish | Sales | Art | Imp. | Add-ons

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Keystones: 485
Donate
Location: "I mean... for me, I could love someone even if I, you know, wasn't paid for it...

Re: Rusted Chains [P; L/B/V]

Postby ShoppingCartEngineer » 12/05/2016 1:43 AM

Clay Valverde

Test no: 42. of Project: Avertere Fluvium. Clay lounged in his memory foam chair, feet on the messy desk where his calculations are made. Papers and writing utensils litter the glass table. To make his disorganization worse, empty bottles and cans of beverages lay at the sides of his workplace. Currently, he was emptying a cup of honeydew boba he had picked up half an hour ago. Lazily, the man takes his foot and tries three time to move one of his monitors to face him. He eventually puts in within readable distance and reviews his inputs one more time over. Everything seems right. Destination is Delta Gamma sector, X: 89,078.11 Y: 130,539.01 Z: 65.51. Earth. Specifically, the galactic coordinates of Earth in 2007. He forgot about that once, and almost suffocated in Interstellar space. With a sigh, the engineer stands up and turns the face of his watch. In lit blue letters read the command [TAP TO INITIATE WARP]. He was going to visit Lisbon, maybe get some sardines the Portugese are famous for. With a twirl of his finger, he brought it down upon the face of the watch.

With a flash of light, Clay was ready to embrace the warm bake of the Iberian sun. Instead, his face met a scratchy pile of damp and dank hay. Clay stumbles up and brushes the dust off. What he was expecting was a warm public beach. Not a dark, stone shed. The ground was padded dirt. And was that the smell of horse in the air? What the hell happened? With a couple of coughs and a push of wooden doors revealed a city. Lisbon, no doubt, but instead of a 21st Contemporary skyline, was a cobbled street filled with filth and grime. Peasants in tattered clothing walked up and down the street, walking upon worn streets. The smell was nothing less of awful. Plumbing in pre-modern Europe was nothing less than nonexistent. The harbor was just down the road. From what it looked like, he had arrived in the early 17th century. Clay cursed loudly. The slave trade was still going strong, with the shipbuilding industry for the Portuguese to continue their all-important economic outlet. Clay turned the face of his watch to observe the results of his experiment. It had failed, for obvious reasons. From what it looked like, this was another case of what he called "The Valverde Effect", aptly named after himself. From what it seemed, heavy objects like planets and starts had strong enough gravity to pull at the fabric of space time. For the same reason black holes let you experience time quicker, they were able to pull at the trajectory of Clay's travels. Some of these occurrences were not due to planets, however. Unknown objects who also seem to be hurling themselves across space time can distort paths too. Clay was unaware of what- or who could be doing this. Time travelers were a possibility, but he can't study the causes closely enough. This occurrence seemed to be the latter. But, there was another entry on the holo-log. The source of the anomaly... was currently here. At the same time, the same place. The coordinates pointed down right towards the dock. Without a moments notice, Clay bolted down towards the dock, prepared for anything to come his way.

More than once, Clay heard the Portuguese word for 'savage' shouted at him. Not surprising. It was insulting, no doubt, but they probably died of influenza year or two later. Good on them. Some people decided to shout at him. Racist obscenities that would be considered blasphemous in his own time.

"Vai para o caralho!" Clay retaliated with.

... Huh? The coordinates pointed towards a slaver ship. The Maçã Dourada, most likely named after the Portugese folk tale, The Hind of the Golden Apple. The anomaly was on a slaver's ship. This was going to be difficult. There was a wooden ramp, easy access, but guards were most likely stationed on deck. The captain was probably out negotiating a trade, but in no way was the ship unguarded. Rummaging through his bag, the engineer pulls out a black rectangle, with a yellow strip on the wider end. He only had one, so this had to count. The object was his own invention, a taser. It sent a signal to the brain to instantaneously sleep the target in a matter of seconds. Clay used it during sleepless nights. Sneaking around the wooden hull, Clay crouches and sneaks to the ramp. He climbs it and scans the area. From what he could see, there was only one man on deck. He had his back turned. With a quick sprint and a chokehold, the object was stuck into the man's neck, knocking him out. He held his mouth and let him down easy, to minimize noise. The signal was from the inside of a ship. Very odd... has the potential traveler been enslaved? Clay walked towards the grate leading to the underbelly of the ship- the slave's quarters. With a kick of the lattice and a slide down the wooden ladder, he was under the deck. Once his boots stamped against the wood, Clay - was met with an unbearable stench. The smell of men treated like animals- neglected and unshowered, starving, dehydrated, crimes against humanity. The smell made him tear up before the moral violations. Some of these captives appeared to be Eastern. Prisoners of war from the Portugese conflicts in Macau. After Clay was done here, the slavers would be thrown off ship. Might as well liberate the tortured souls around him. Among the crowd was a boy with Caucasian pigment- or lack thereof. If anyone was the anomaly, it was going to be the odd one out. Clay made his way around the humans that were packed on the ground. He tried his hardest not to step on them in the cramped space. Clay stood in front of the seemingly unconscious boy. He poked the boy in the face until his eyes fluttered.

"Vocę fala Português, garoto?"
ShoppingCartEngineer
Beginner
Beginner
Pets | Items
Keystones: 230
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 12/08/2016 11:25 PM

A few of the boys in the ship's hull stirred as soon as light filtered through the lattice that Clay removed. Moony's breathing hitched slightly as he sensed a curiosity and fear sweep through the others, making him shake slightly. He hadn't been unconscious--but his eyes had been shut tight, and by all means, he looked either asleep or dead.

"Eu falo português! Eu faço! Quem é vocę, senhor?" one of the boys piped up softly, after noticing that Clay was not one of their captors. His dark eyes scanned the odd newcomer curiously, before he rose up slightly, eyes widening. "Você está aqui para nos salvar?"

Other boys, upon hearing this, shot up as well and started converging on Clay slightly--not in a violent way, but in a desperation for someone kind, someone on their side--all asking similar questions of the first boy, but in Chinese rather than Portuguese. Moony cried out at Clay's touch, however, a sound that was lost in the noise, and he tried to crawl away from Clay, hiding his face and whimpering as he attempted to escape the movement and noise and excitement. He couldn't understand a word of what was being said--he felt like his brain was going to explode from it all.

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate
Location: "I mean... for me, I could love someone even if I, you know, wasn't paid for it...

Postby ShoppingCartEngineer » 12/09/2016 3:58 AM

Yeesh. These kids were desperate- couldn't blame them. Clay cleared his throat and raised his hand. All of the children seemed to quiet up and listen.

"Er- 我会给你你的自由。Eu te darei sua liberdade. Esperar. 请等一下儿。You little guys will get out of here fine."

Hopefully that killed the commotion enough for a clear sight on the child. He'd been lost in the sea of children. Stepping around the children, Clay scoured the ship... The kid stuck out like a sore thumb. He was Caucasian, and in English colonial garb. Unusual...

Clay patted the kid in the face. From what it looked like, he was cowering until the commotion died down. Didn't appear to budge once it did. If he was going to understand any language, it would be English.

"Kid, you alright?" Clay put on a insincere smile to try and calm the child. Clay was never good with kids, and nobody could smile in circumstances like this. He tried anyways.
ShoppingCartEngineer
Beginner
Beginner
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 12/19/2016 5:21 PM

Clay's words didn't fully silence the children, but they quieted down a tiny bit. Enough for Moony to hear English. Moony's eyes flickered open for a split second before he shut them tight again, thinking for a long time on the person's words. There was an overwhelmed note in the words, but also a desire for calm, for order. Moony held onto that easily-readable desire, silently curled near the back of the holding area. The touch on his face sent him back into a tizzy, though, yelping and kicking at Clay with a frightened noise. "D-don't--don't touch... please don't touch..." Moony cried softly, covering his eyes in his tangle of bony arms.

Many of the children had turned their attention to Moony and Clay, silently watching the odd spectacle. "Ele é estranho, esse," one of the boys said, leering at Moony with apprehension. "Ele está pálido e doente. Ele não vai falar com ninguém."

A few of the children agreed, one even claiming that Moony apparently tried to bite him. These accusations mounting against him, raising in hostility, only seemed to make Moony shake harder with fear.

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ShoppingCartEngineer » 12/23/2016 3:29 AM

Clay donned a disgruntled expression and a slight frown as the child started crying. This was going to be a little tougher than originally assumed. He turned away and cursed silently. Clay wasn't going to get out of this hellhole if the time warp didn't clear up. He reached out for the cowering child, but hesitated when commotion was about. The other children seemed to already be weary of this one. The man dismissed the comments and tried to answer for Moony.

"Preciso dele por... razões não reveladas. Deixe-me por um momento, por favor."

"Now, I'm going to need you to stay still. Got it?"

Clay looked at the child's eyes with a look that wouldn't seem malicious in the slightest. Eyes that seem to only want to help. With a swift action, Clay takes out his blaster and points sideways at the shackles, making sure the lasers wouldn't hit the wrists. It might've been easier to take the keys and unlock them- but those were in a sailor's pocket on deck. No time for that now. Clay took the shot. One could hear the sizzles of molten metal and the clanging of metal shackles against a wooden floor.
ShoppingCartEngineer
Beginner
Beginner
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 01/05/2017 12:18 AM

Clay's words did seem to quiet most of the children, and those who kept chattering were quickly shushed by the others. Moony's cries were dry and rattling, no tears springing in his eyes. There was only fear. It mounted in a startled scream as the blaster shot the metal off his wrists, which looked far less raw than the other boys' skin. It was as though he hadn't been shackled as long. Shaking, Moony slowly opened his eyes and stared at his freed wrists and ankles, blinking slowly, absorbing the feeling of desiring to help from Clay. It comforted him slightly.

"Você fala a língua deste menino," the boy from before piped up as Moony slowly began to uncurl from his frightened ball. Already, Moony's posture was relaxing slightly, which made the boy speaking Portuguese a lot less wary. "Você conhece ele?"

Moony was silent for a few seconds, staring at Clay's shoes, then slowly traveling up to the man's face. He stared for a second, then looked away, then back, then away, each time staring for a little bit longer. Like he was cataloguing something. "Can that hurt people?" Moony spoke, voice softer than death as he gestured vaguely to the blaster. "It hurt the metal. Can it hurt people, too?" Whether Moony had a plan or was simply seeking information, it was unclear.

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ShoppingCartEngineer » 01/12/2017 3:00 AM

Clay jumped a little as the boy screamed. It was startling, to say the least. As soon as the shackles were off, the engineer stepped back and let the boy get his bearings. Clay cleared his throat and observed the now unshackled boy. What the hell made this kid so significant? Sure, his garb looked more colonial English than anything, but it was still very vague. But his train of thought was interrupted by the murmurs of the other children.

"É difícil de explicar, mas eu não conheço esse garoto."

Perhaps the children were right. Clay did seem a little crazy. Talking to a little kid on a slaving ship? Hell, this was a little creepy. But the boy spoke once more. He was a little more calm, but obviously weary of the weaponry. Clay crouched down and turned his blaster in his palm.

"Well... Yes, it hurts. A damn lot, I might add."

Clay looked to Moony. Hopefully that weapon question wouldn't set him off. He was obviously jumpy for whatever reason. It was his turn to ask a question.

"Now I've got a question for you, little man. How the hell did you get here?"
ShoppingCartEngineer
Beginner
Beginner
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 01/12/2017 1:38 PM

Moony either didn't understand the question, or simply elected not to answer it for the time being. His eyes stayed on the weapon, the flickering in his eyes an indicator that the cogs in his brain were turning. "If it can hurt people... can you hurt the people who hurt? The people outside? Where you can see the sky?" he mumbled, a hollowness in his gaze as he turned it up to stare at Clay.

The other children, who couldn't understand a word of what Moony was saying, seemed to have quieted down somewhat. Still, spirits seemed higher than before with this intrusion on the norm of simply laying in silence in the dark. Something like hope, wrapped in curiosity.

After a moment, Moony seemed to process the question a bit better. "The people who hurt froze my wrists and feet... couldn't move them... put me down here. Rough hands... I hated it... hate this, hate them..." Moony was mumbling half-nonsense, but it made enough sense if one could actually hear all of it.

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ShoppingCartEngineer » 01/19/2017 2:21 AM

This kid was definitely peculiar. He didn't seem to reply to Clay's inquiry. Instead, the boy focused on the weapon. It was from a different time, but shouldn't a kid like him have a shorter attention span? He didn't speak like a child, either. Instead of blurbs and shouting, he decided to be more careful and articulate. The engineer grabs his knees to force himself up. He looked at the boy with a knit brow and a frown.

"The way you talk about the outside makes me think you've been here for a while. How long have the slavers kept you guys cooped up in here?"

... 'You guys'. That was a problem. Instead of just the anomaly kid, there were multiple children and slaves on the ship. He would have to find a way to get them all back. To Brazil, to Macau, wherever they'd came from. There had to be some kind of person skilled in maritime activities. Yeah, it would be easy!

"Algum de vocês marinheiros? 船上有谁熟悉海上活动?任何人?我想沉默是确认."

He wouldn't give that issue any attention until his first obstacle was tackled. Without this kid, he wasn't going home anytime soon. But it was tough to get any information at all out of the boy. It was hard to articulate what Clay wanted to hear, so with disdain the engineer shortened his questions into a vague and inclusive one.

"All I want to know, kid, is who you are. How you got here, maybe. Stuff like that. Could you do that for me?"
ShoppingCartEngineer
Beginner
Beginner
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 02/11/2017 9:19 PM

The children heard Clay's question, and seemed to catch on to what might be going on. Excited murmurs rumbled through the crowd of children, each of them repeating the question to each other. In the meantime, Moony was growing used to Clay's voice and the sight of him, his posture not quite so coiled. Even so, he took awhile to answer, but when he did, his voice was a bit steadier than before. "I'm Moony," he began slowly, pointing a finger at his own chest. "I was in a small room, full of maps and a bed and drawers, in front of a mirror when the people who hurt found me. It was pretty, in there. They said I wasn't the captain, which is true. I don't understand why they brought me here."

While Moony rambled, the child who'd been the most talkative to Clay directly spoke up. Apparently word had traveled to various parts of the hold, until someone of Clay's description was found. "Há um par de meninas que trabalharam com seu pescador do pai," he said, when he caught a break in Moony's speech long enough for him to talk. "Por que você perguntou? Atrevo-me a pedir que tenhas planos de sair daqui com aquele menino pálido?"

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ShoppingCartEngineer » 02/25/2017 4:28 AM

It seemed the children knew what to do in absence of a captain. Clay would tell those girls that the ship needed to be taken back from whence it came. The reward for doing so might bring up complications. He could find a way. The engineer cleared his throat and once again spoke to the masses.

"Vou deixar vocês para lidar com essa debacle. Eu tenho que escapar. 和我的非葡萄牙语演讲的船员。这些孩子正在得到帮助。我会离开你自己的计划,因为我必须离开。"

Clay knelt back down and stared at Moony for a while. His explanation sounded like a hallucination. Maybe it was a dream, or a vision caused by the insanity of this torture. Whatever it was, Clay needed to scram. He could learn about the circumstances later.

"Look, kid. I need you for something. I will explain it all later. Just come with me outta here."

Before briskly taking the boy's hand, Clay thought for a moment. Not the best way to introduce himself.

"By the way, the name's Clay. I'm an engineer, and I don't plan on torturing you."
ShoppingCartEngineer
Beginner
Beginner
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 04/05/2017 6:00 PM

The child who'd addressed Clay looked unconvinced, his dark eyes intelligent and locked on Clay's face. "Você espera muito de nós, homem estranho," he muttered softly, but there was a touch of hope in his voice. Even so... "Marinheiros ou não, não conhecemos esta área. A menos que você tenha algum tipo de mapa, não podemos nos ajudar."

The children began talking amongst themselves nervously, a few translating to the non Portuguese speakers, which only caused greater uproar. "外面的人会赶上我们! 如果你觉得我们可以自己逃跑,你就疯了!" one cried, shaking his fists in the air and rattling the shackles on his wrists. "如果我们的手被捆绑,我们如何引导船?"

Moony seemed used to Clay by now enough that touch was uncomfortable, but not panic-inducing. The noise of the other children was certainly enough to rattle him, though, and finally, he shut his eyes tight and just nodded his head up and down quickly, his free hand covering one of his ears as if it would block anything out.

"Dá-nos a tua arma. Precisamos de uma maneira de quebrar esses laços," the boy from before, who seemed to have become the spokesperson for the surrounding kids, said steadily. The noise from the ship was rattling, but he held his hand out towards Clay with an expression that showed fear and a little bit of outrage that they were being left behind, while Moony was being saved.

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ShoppingCartEngineer » 04/09/2017 9:23 PM

God, this was progressively getting more and more frustrating. As cruel as it was, Clay needed to get out of here quick. The "leading" kid had voiced his concern about them being captured again. It certainly was a possibility. The engineer looked at the boy who objected with his finger and thumb propped against his forehead.

"Olha, garoto. Eu fiz algumas coisas impressionantes quando eu era jovem. Eu sou um vagabundo preguiçoso. Você realmente tem alguma motivação por trás disso, então você pode fazer muito melhor do que eu poderia. Tenho um mapa, mas tenho plena fé em você."

He was bluffing about that last part. Clay wasn't extremely confident that these children could get 5 miles out. It was their destiny to be enslaved, they should be grateful that the engineer was even giving them a chance to escape. Their impact on history wouldn't be too great, hopefully. Don't want any butterfly effects from doing this. The kids from Macau were becoming increasingly aggressive. Clay tensed his fists and compacted his body before yelling his complaint.

"我会解开你!等待我完成我在做什么我是魔术师,不是奇迹工作者。"

Again, the small boy who spoke Portuguese approached Clay. He wanted the gun so they could free themselves. No way he would trust these children with his weapon. This was a ship, they had to have tools on deck.

"Um momento."

Clay dashed off towards the only place where light seeped in. It was the only entrance, and the only exit. The engineer hopped up and pulled himself up onto the wooden deck. From below the surface, the children and Moony could hear the thumping of boots against shoddy wooden planks. A minute or two later, Clay hopped back down with a tool in hand. It looked flimsy, but enough to cut through the chains. It was probably used to saw through wood or rope if it ever caused a complication at sea. The man with the purple hair approached the boy and hastily cut through his chains.

"Use isso para cortar todo mundo. Há um mapa nos aposentos do capitão. Peço desculpas, mas não tenho tempo para orientá-lo mais."

Clay handed the saw to the boy, and clambered over back to the cowering Moony. He exhaled, exasperated, and ushered the boy away from his little corner.

"We need to get out of here. I don't have the patience for these impatient children anymore. Our plan is to vault on up, talk to those girls who are good with a boat and mast. I'm sure the allure of gold is enough to coax them into steering this thing."
ShoppingCartEngineer
Beginner
Beginner
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 04/12/2017 1:21 AM

The leader of the bunch was headstrong--but he was also, in fact, a child. He was easy to influence with compliments and assurances, and for a moment, he seemed to smile with determination at Clay. "Talvez eu possa provar que você está certo," he mused, but there was still the matter of the gun. They needed some way to get out of their bonds if they had any hopes of going back home.

Clay's response sent the Chinese-speakers into a frustrated uproar, a few of them beginning to cry, and a few shutting up altogether. The leader winced, then watched as Clay suddenly bolted, curiosity and confusion in his eyes. When the strange man returned with what looked like their ticket to freedom, flimsy as it was. His eyes lit up when the chain snapped, and he took the saw gratefully, his brow set with determination. "Está bem. Podemos cuidar das coisas daqui."

Moony had fallen into a kind of quiet trance, listening to all of the voices and absorbing the emotions being tossed back and forth. He yelped when Clay jumped over to him, following the push of Clay's hands stiffly. "Home is probably better than gold," Moony mused aloud, soft, almost lost in the clamoring of children around them.

Suddenly, one of the girls there reached out and grabbed Clay's coat, tugging. She stood with her sister, a smaller girl but with fiery eyes, both obviously Chinese. "如果坏人死了,把我们带到上面。 我们会帮助大家," the older one said, puffing out her chest to look taller. These must be the girls who knew how to steer a ship--whispers and words traveled fast among the crowd of children, even with language barriers here and there.

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Next