Nice and peaceful, Nabias offers a great place to start your journey or stock up on supplies before heading out to brave the rest of the wilderness out there. They also have Barakka's largest hospital facility to treat all sorts of injuries you could get out there. (+2 Precision)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Town of Nabias

Re: If It's the Last Thing That I Do [Self]

Postby zapdragon555 » 01/03/2018 5:33 PM

He came out with a bigger smile on his face than before, collar a little bit loosened for some air, but the tie still neat-looking enough. "I think it looks great. Thank you, doctor!" he chuckled, patting the tie where it lay on his chest. "Now that we're all spiffy, want to see what they're serving?"

"Excellent idea, Mr. Grimmer," Tenma chirped, feeling a little more cheerful in comparison to how he'd felt in bed. Being sick did wonders for his mood, if only for the afterwards--he always felt happier when he was on the mend. "I'm half starved."

"I bet you are," Grimmer murmured, his cheerful demeanor mellowing into a quiet concern as he fetched Tenma's discarded coat from the back of the chair and retrieved the key from its pocket. "Can't forget this," he said with a smile, slipping it into his own pocket and leading the way to the door. "If you start feeling sick again, just let me know and we'll head back up."

Tenma smiled at that, waving Grimmer's concern away with a gentle wave of his hand. "I will. But I'm certain the worst of it happened last night and early this morning. You helped me out quite a bit. I didn't get to thank you properly for all of that."

"It was only a few cups of water," Grimmer murmured, unsure what to do with the warmth of the doctor's gratitude. "I don't know anything."
You're a door-without-a-key,
A field-without-a-fence.
You made a holy fool of me,
And I've thanked you ever since.
If she comes circling back,
We'll end where we'd begun,
Like two pennies on the train track
The train crushed into one,
Or if I'm a crown without a king,
If I'm a broken open seed,
If I come without a thing,
Then I come with all I need.
No boat out in the blue,
No place to rest your head
The trap I set for you seems to have
Caught my leg instead.

I do not exist. I do not exist. I do not exist.

Pen | New Pen | Breed | Wish | Sales | Art | Imp. | Add-ons

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food

Keystones: 10
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 01/03/2018 5:43 PM

Tenma paused with one foot on the staircase down to the main lobby and turned his head to look up at Grimmer, his expression tensing slightly with an argument. "That isn't true, you know plenty about plenty, Mr. Grimmer. Don't look so sad--I told you things would work out just fine." The idea of being the cause of Grimmer's worry wasn't a good one, to Tenma.

Grimmer, however, flinched slightly at Tenma's words, his hand going to hold the tie around his neck for lack of anything else to to with the hand not on the railing. "Was my expression sad?" he asked quietly, and instantly Tenma's face broke into realization, apology.

"Oh--no, no it's..." Tenma trailed off, the smell of food downstairs distracting him. Slowly, he stepped back up onto the landing and glanced up the stairs to make sure no one would eavesdrop on the delicate conversation. "No, you just... you looked quite concerned, and still do. That's a good thing, if... you care about someone, and... they're... not doing well, you know?" Tenma offered a smile as he spoke, but his eyes were serious. "I think I have some complicated feelings, too. About being looked after and cared for. Because I'm--"
A field-without-a-fence.
No boat out in the blue,
Caught my leg instead.

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food

Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 01/03/2018 5:43 PM

"Because you're a doctor?" Grimmer asked, then clammed up slightly, realizing he'd interrupted. Tenma just smiled and put a hand on his shoulder, nodding.

"But that doesn't mean you shouldn't feel concern. That was my bad," Tenma said, patting the shoulder and then waving for Grimmer to follow. "I don't talk very well on an empty stomach. We can talk more about this in the room, afterwards, if you like."

"Yeah... I think I'd be okay with that," Grimmer mused, dampened by the act of suddenly being thrust back into his own altered brainspace. He'd lost the expression, in his surprise over Tenma's criticism for it. He'd forgotten to memorize it. But it was there... Tenma had said it was there. That was a good thing, he supposed.
A field-without-a-fence.
No boat out in the blue,
Caught my leg instead.

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food

Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 01/03/2018 6:51 PM

The smell of food was enough to pull Grimmer out of his thoughts and into the present, into the kind of strange date-like moment he was sharing with his traveling companion. He supposed it was like that, but after traveling around the country and eating at countless little diners and restaurants and park benches, Grimmer felt like this was normal. The tie was different. That was for sure...

That, and Grimmer had never seen Tenma so dressed up, except for those photos in the paper from back when he worked as a contracted journalist. In the photos, he seemed much happier. Hair shorter. Face less gaunt.

It was a man Grimmer didn't know. This was the Tenma he knew, and daresay, even loved.

It was a strange thought, but it was an easy word. Grimmer loved many things--walks, picnics, children, fishing, sports, and good wine. And he loved Tenma's company, yes. But the emotion he was feeling was quite unlike any of the ones he felt for those other things. It was one he hadn't been taught. Hadn't been in the books.
A field-without-a-fence.
No boat out in the blue,
Caught my leg instead.

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food

Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 01/03/2018 6:51 PM

Unless, of course, this was love. Attraction, the lesson had talked about. Where Grimmer had learned to waltz, to dip a woman in his arms, to kiss, among other things. Book smarts got you far enough, he'd figured out. But this felt so much more hot, so much more all-consuming, like a heated blanket around his heart and stomach and throat. At the same time, it was light and airy. He felt a brief flash of guilt that he'd never felt this (if this was the 'this' that he thought it was) for his wife. Greta had been lovely. A kind woman who seemed to love him very much. Had this been what she felt, back then...?

"And what would you like to order?"

Grimmer's eyes widened from their lidded state, yanked out of his thoughts. He'd walked on autopilot and sat down across from Tenma at a wooden booth, table between them and menu on the table in front of him. "Uh," he answered dumbly, staring at the waiter, then at Tenma, who seemed to notice his befuddlement.

"Can we have a little more time to think?" Tenma asked with a smile, and the waiter nodded, saying he'd bring out the wine that Tenma ordered while they waited.
A field-without-a-fence.
No boat out in the blue,
Caught my leg instead.

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food

Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 01/03/2018 6:59 PM

Grimmer glanced up at Tenma, picking up the menu as he did and offering a sheepish smile. "Lost in my head for a moment," he explained, and Tenma nodded in understanding, his expression a little bit tight.

"Mr. Grimmer, I want you to know that I'm sorry for what I said on the staircase," he suddenly murmured, wasting no time and no breath in his apology that spilled out rather fast. "I... I truly do appreciate you taking care of me." Tenma's mouth made a thin line, thumbing the edge of his menu for something to do with his hands. "And it's wrong of me to try to tell you what you can and cannot feel. Very wrong."

Grimmer opened his mouth to stop Tenma, then slowly closed it, the cogs in his head turning with thought. His eyes drifted down the menu, at the various foods that all sounded pretty good right about then, then offered a genuine, soft smile. "Alright. I accept your apology," he said simply, and Tenma's frownlines softened, satisfaction at Grimmer's answer shining in his eyes.

"I hope you don't mind I ordered a bottle of Spätburgunder," Tenma murmured, a little sheepish. "I know I probably shouldn't drink right after a fever, but... it feels like a special occasion, and it's been awhile."
A field-without-a-fence.
No boat out in the blue,
Caught my leg instead.

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food

Donate

Previous