Nice and peaceful, Nabias offers a great place to start your journey or stock up on supplies before heading out to brave the rest of the wilderness out there. They also have Barakka's largest hospital facility to treat all sorts of injuries you could get out there. (+2 Precision)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Town of Nabias

Re: If It's the Last Thing That I Do [Self]

Postby zapdragon555 » 01/03/2018 5:33 PM

He came out with a bigger smile on his face than before, collar a little bit loosened for some air, but the tie still neat-looking enough. "I think it looks great. Thank you, doctor!" he chuckled, patting the tie where it lay on his chest. "Now that we're all spiffy, want to see what they're serving?"

"Excellent idea, Mr. Grimmer," Tenma chirped, feeling a little more cheerful in comparison to how he'd felt in bed. Being sick did wonders for his mood, if only for the afterwards--he always felt happier when he was on the mend. "I'm half starved."

"I bet you are," Grimmer murmured, his cheerful demeanor mellowing into a quiet concern as he fetched Tenma's discarded coat from the back of the chair and retrieved the key from its pocket. "Can't forget this," he said with a smile, slipping it into his own pocket and leading the way to the door. "If you start feeling sick again, just let me know and we'll head back up."

Tenma smiled at that, waving Grimmer's concern away with a gentle wave of his hand. "I will. But I'm certain the worst of it happened last night and early this morning. You helped me out quite a bit. I didn't get to thank you properly for all of that."

"It was only a few cups of water," Grimmer murmured, unsure what to do with the warmth of the doctor's gratitude. "I don't know anything."

But there will come a time
You'll see, with no more tears
And love will not break your heart
But dismiss your fears
Get over your hill and see
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

"Tomorrow will be a good day."

Pen | New Pen | Breed | Wish | Sales | Art | Imp. | Add-ons

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Keystones: 485
Donate
Location: "I mean... for me, I could love someone even if I, you know, wasn't paid for it...

Postby zapdragon555 » 01/03/2018 5:43 PM

Tenma paused with one foot on the staircase down to the main lobby and turned his head to look up at Grimmer, his expression tensing slightly with an argument. "That isn't true, you know plenty about plenty, Mr. Grimmer. Don't look so sad--I told you things would work out just fine." The idea of being the cause of Grimmer's worry wasn't a good one, to Tenma.

Grimmer, however, flinched slightly at Tenma's words, his hand going to hold the tie around his neck for lack of anything else to to with the hand not on the railing. "Was my expression sad?" he asked quietly, and instantly Tenma's face broke into realization, apology.

"Oh--no, no it's..." Tenma trailed off, the smell of food downstairs distracting him. Slowly, he stepped back up onto the landing and glanced up the stairs to make sure no one would eavesdrop on the delicate conversation. "No, you just... you looked quite concerned, and still do. That's a good thing, if... you care about someone, and... they're... not doing well, you know?" Tenma offered a smile as he spoke, but his eyes were serious. "I think I have some complicated feelings, too. About being looked after and cared for. Because I'm--"

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate
Location: "I mean... for me, I could love someone even if I, you know, wasn't paid for it...

Postby zapdragon555 » 01/03/2018 5:43 PM

"Because you're a doctor?" Grimmer asked, then clammed up slightly, realizing he'd interrupted. Tenma just smiled and put a hand on his shoulder, nodding.

"But that doesn't mean you shouldn't feel concern. That was my bad," Tenma said, patting the shoulder and then waving for Grimmer to follow. "I don't talk very well on an empty stomach. We can talk more about this in the room, afterwards, if you like."

"Yeah... I think I'd be okay with that," Grimmer mused, dampened by the act of suddenly being thrust back into his own altered brainspace. He'd lost the expression, in his surprise over Tenma's criticism for it. He'd forgotten to memorize it. But it was there... Tenma had said it was there. That was a good thing, he supposed.

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 01/03/2018 6:51 PM

The smell of food was enough to pull Grimmer out of his thoughts and into the present, into the kind of strange date-like moment he was sharing with his traveling companion. He supposed it was like that, but after traveling around the country and eating at countless little diners and restaurants and park benches, Grimmer felt like this was normal. The tie was different. That was for sure...

That, and Grimmer had never seen Tenma so dressed up, except for those photos in the paper from back when Grimmer worked as a contracted journalist. In the photos, Tenma seemed much happier. Hair shorter. Face less gaunt.

It was a man Grimmer didn't know. This was the Tenma he knew, and daresay, even loved.

It was a strange thought, but it was an easy word. Grimmer loved many things--walks, picnics, children, fishing, sports, and good wine. And he loved Tenma's company, yes. But the emotion he was feeling was quite unlike any of the ones he felt for those other things. It was one he hadn't been taught. Hadn't been in the books.

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 01/03/2018 6:51 PM

Unless, of course, this was love. Attraction, the lesson had talked about. Where Grimmer had learned to waltz, to dip a woman in his arms, to kiss, among other things. Book smarts got you far enough, he'd figured out. But this felt so much more hot, so much more all-consuming, like a heated blanket around his heart and stomach and throat. At the same time, it was light and airy. He felt a brief flash of guilt that he'd never felt this (if this was the 'this' that he thought it was) for his wife. Greta had been lovely. A kind woman who seemed to love him very much. Had this been what she felt, back then...?

"And what would you like to order?"

Grimmer's eyes widened from their lidded state, yanked out of his thoughts. He'd walked on autopilot and sat down across from Tenma at a wooden booth, table between them and menu on the table in front of him. "Uh," he answered dumbly, staring at the waiter, then at Tenma, who seemed to notice his befuddlement.

"Can we have a little more time to think?" Tenma asked with a smile, and the waiter nodded, saying he'd bring out the wine that Tenma ordered while they waited.

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 01/03/2018 6:59 PM

Grimmer glanced up at Tenma, picking up the menu as he did and offering a sheepish smile. "Lost in my head for a moment," he explained, and Tenma nodded in understanding, his expression a little bit tight.

"Mr. Grimmer, I want you to know that I'm sorry for what I said on the staircase," he suddenly murmured, wasting no time and no breath in his apology that spilled out rather fast. "I... I truly do appreciate you taking care of me." Tenma's mouth made a thin line, thumbing the edge of his menu for something to do with his hands. "And it's wrong of me to try to tell you what you can and cannot feel. Very wrong."

Grimmer opened his mouth to stop Tenma, then slowly closed it, the cogs in his head turning with thought. His eyes drifted down the menu, at the various foods that all sounded pretty good right about then, then offered a genuine, soft smile. "Alright. I accept your apology," he said simply, and Tenma's frownlines softened, satisfaction at Grimmer's answer shining in his eyes.

"I hope you don't mind I ordered a bottle of Spätburgunder," Tenma murmured, a little sheepish. "I know I probably shouldn't drink right after a fever, but... it feels like a special occasion, and it's been awhile."

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 01/29/2018 1:36 AM

In the end, they'd managed to down the whole bottle between the two of them, with Tenma drinking a little bit more than Grimmer had expected or wanted him to. Still, the soft buzz of alcohol over his brain helped him let his concerns leave him for the most part. He found it harder to concentrate on making proper expressions, but the food was wonderful, and Tenma was wonderful, and for once he figured it didn't matter what kind of face he was making.

One thing Grimmer did notice, however, was how Tenma kept loosening his tie more and more as the night went on. Perhaps he was overheating in that suit? There were a few space heaters in the inn's dining area, so it wasn't a farfetched assumption, and there was also the possibility of the fever making a return...

Grimmer noted that Tenma had already downed his glass of water, while Grimmer had barely touched his. The waiter looked busy... Without thinking to warn the doctor first, he picked up his glass of water with a hand that felt too heavy and attempted to pour some of it into Tenma's glass. Unfortunately, the ice had melted together to create a cumbersome little glacier inside the glass. Tenma's hands were raising to stop Grimmer just as the chunk of ice slipped out of Grimmer's glass and hit the edge of Tenma's, a miniature deluge of water spilling out onto the table. Grimmer cursed in surprise, jerking his hand back and effectively knocking his elbow into his wineglass. Onto his midriff and lap.

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 01/29/2018 1:41 AM

Tenma was so busy trying to corral the water with his hands and a napkin that he almost didn't notice Grimmer's moment of distress. He looked up, finally, eyes wide in surprise at the stain of dark purplish red coating the man's clothes. He felt a spike of anxiety in his chest at the red, before he shook his head to clear it (of course it wasn't blood, get it together) and winced in sympathy. "Oh, dear," he murmured, moving to get out of his seat for more napkins, and was surprised when a couple sitting nearby stopped him and held out their napkins.

"Not much, but it'll help. Our boy ran to grab you some more," the man, a father apparently, said, bushy eyebrows kind and portly stature filling up most of his chair. Tenma blinked, taken aback, then glanced over the crowd at the child weaving through it, towards the kitchen. He let himself smile, brain hazy from drink, but nodded and murmured a word of thanks as he took the napkins back over to his table.

Grimmer had stood up by now, the wineglass upright once more, but his clothes looked quite a bit worse for the wear. Tenma eyed the placement of the stains, which covered the leftmost side of the tall man's stomach and crotch. He hesitated, then held out the napkins to Grimmer, not wanting to cause any sort of scene here. "That's such a shame. What a nice shirt," Tenma mused as he began to gather the soaking water-wet napkins from before into a sad little pile.

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 01/29/2018 2:15 AM

"Oh! No, no," Grimmer exclaimed, waving his hand slightly in the air to dismiss Tenma's worry. "It's perfectly fine. M'just sorry about the tie..." Tenma's brows knitted in confusion, his eyes running down Grimmer's neck and chest, then blinked in realization that the lower half of the tie he'd given Grimmer was also not spared in the staining process.

"Hah! Oh, goodness. You really did make a mess," Tenma laughed, suddenly finding things terribly silly. Grimmer's eyes widened a little as he looked up at Tenma, in the middle of attempting to blot himself dry. At least the people around them had given them some decency and averted their eyes back to their own food. He found himself smiling as well, under the heat of his own embarrassment. At least they'd almost finished with their food.

The couple's son returned with arms full of paper towels, and Tenma accepted them with a gracious word of thanks that Grimmer could've sworn was a strange conglomeration of Japanese and German. Tenma... really was tipsy, wasn't he? It was obvious that he would be, with how much he'd drank. Grimmer finally took the time to notice that Tenma's face was a rather pretty shade of red.

"Need any more? There'ssss..." The doctor paused, as if counting, then shook his head and smiled. "Some left."

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 01/29/2018 3:59 AM

Eventually with their combined efforts, the majority of the mess was cleaned up, but Grimmer's clothes were a lost cause. Tenma began to finish the rest of his wine and Grimmer lamented that he was out, now, against his will. Tenma glanced up at the other man over the rim of his glass, then held the glass out to Grimmer with a coy smile that sent Grimmer's heart into a confused flutter.

Again, it rather quickly morphed into something more genuine. "Here. Take the rest, I think I've... had plenty," Tenma murmured, eyes lidding as he leaned back for a moment and watched Grimmer drain the last of the wine. "This is fun," he added, his words punctuated by Grimmer setting the glass down.

"It is! I'm glad we dressed up, even if my clothes are down for the count. Better this than my comfy sweater," Grimmer mused, a smile tugging his mouth.

Tenma's smile softened a little, and he shook his head slightly with a chuckle. "No, I meant..." Tenma trailed off, licking his lips in thought, then shook his head again and looked up at a bemused Grimmer. "Let's go back to the room, if you're all done?"

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 01/29/2018 4:03 AM

Grimmer blinked, and nodded, certainly ready to get out of that crowd--having wine-splashed clothes was embarrassing enough as it was, even with the haze of tipsiness over his brain. He wanted to prompt Tenma to explain what he was saying, but Tenma was already getting up, leaving payment on the table. "I'll pay... since your shirt got messed up," the doctor murmured, a fond look in his eyes.

"It was my fault, though!" Grimmer protested with a grin, standing up and adjusting his tie slightly. He noticed, again, just how loose Tenma's tie was, and he fought the urge in his restless fingers to reach out and try to tighten it as Tenma had done for him back in the room. He figured he could recall the motion, if he tried...

Right. Room. Walking. Grimmer followed close behind Tenma, his hip bumping Tenma's every so often as he avoided chairs and tables. He apologized in a mumble each time, warmth spreading over his skin in embarrassment. He really just wanted out of those clothes, and into the shower. So many showers in one day... thankfully, they weren't paying for the water.

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 01/29/2018 4:09 AM

Grimmer unlocked their door and let Tenma inside with a small 'after you' gesture, and slipped inside himself. He turned his back on the other man for a moment to re-lock the door and set the key on the desk, when Tenma began to speak.

"When I said 'this is fun,' back there," the doctor began, his voice soft and closer than Grimmer had realized. The man spun around to face Tenma, who had approached him after shedding his outer jacket. "I meant... this. These past few months. Traveling... with you. Being with you."

Grimmer's expression slackened slightly, his brows raising as he met the doctor's dark eyes. "I..." he felt tongue-tied, his body too warm and his heart too quick. Tenma's expression flickered, doubt creeping into his features.

"I'm... I'm sorry. Ah..." Tenma breathed out, leaning away slightly to run a hand nervously through his hair. "I may be coming off a bit strong. Y-you look unsure. Please, I... didn't mean anything by it."

"I look unsure?" Grimmer asked softly, his hand reaching out when he was given no response to touch the back of Tenma's hand, still tangled in dark hair. Tenma paused and flicked his eyes back up to Grimmer's, and Grimmer felt his voice free up slightly. He spoke slowly, but with purpose, his fingers slowly encircling the other man's wrist and squeezing softly. "I'm... I'm not unsure. I've had fun, too, doctor Tenma."

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 01/29/2018 4:14 AM

For a moment, they just stood there, connected by a pulse (and oh, Grimmer could feel Tenma's strong pulse against his hand, slower than his own but still rather brisk), and Grimmer felt as though his tensions from the evening were being swallowed by the inky black of Tenma's irises. He started, ever so slightly, when his back brushed the door. Tenma took a step forward, following him, and all at once he could feel Tenma's breath, feel his own breath puffing back against his own lips, oh-so close. "Um," Grimmer's voice came out a little frantic, heavy, and Tenma wavered, jerking away a centimeter before clearing his throat sharply and leaning away properly.

"I'm so sorry," Tenma breathed out, shaking his head hurriedly and attempting to worm his hand out of Grimmer's grasp. "That--I--I'm a bit drunk."

Grimmer wished his brain worked faster. He wished he'd thought before he'd made any noise, wish he'd even noticed their growing proximity before it had almost been too late (and what a weight the words 'too late' held--perhaps he wanted to be too late, but his brain was still toying with the thought of Tenma's pulse and breath and warmth and--). "No," Grimmer began, helplessly, his hand hovering in the air slightly where he'd held Tenma's wrist before. "I mean--perhaps you are, a bit. P-perhaps I am, too. We are. But..."

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 01/29/2018 4:21 AM

Tenma lifted his face up, impossibly red (gosh, redder than before, Grimmer realized), his expression as unreadable as the most foreign text Grimmer had ever seen. "But...?" Tenma offered, softly, after a large gap of silence was presented.

Grimmer's eyes searched Tenma's for a moment, aching with the need to be able to read, to be able to understand what was expected of him, to understand what would ruin things. The air felt charged with electricity and Grimmer felt alive with it, his heart loud and agitated in his ears, like a songbird in a cage far too cramped. "I liked that," Grimmer said simply, softly, and after a moment he opened his arms slightly. "Doctor... come here."

Tenma stared for a few beats, drawing a few strands of errant hair behind his own ear, and found himself moving forward, fitting himself into the space given him in Grimmer's arms, long limbs encircling his shoulders and pulling him into a hesitant hug.

Then tighter. A large hand splayed out over his back, and smoothed downwards, then up, and Tenma's heart trembled in his chest. "I wanted to kiss you, just then," Tenma whispered, something vulnerable and aching in his voice. "Forgive me."

Grimmer could've sworn he felt his own heart thump against Tenma's chest.

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 01/29/2018 4:32 AM

Grimmer's grip tightened slightly, just enough of a squeeze before he loosened his grip enough to lean back and look at the doctor's face. The man's expression looked like he was going to be sick, or cry, or something that Grimmer very much wanted to stop. "Doctor Tenma," Grimmer began, anything to get the man to look at him, and not at the floor, or the stain on his shirt. Silence hung in the air and Grimmer fought for words, for something eloquent, something suave, something soothing--think, man.

They taught him this. How to handle a kiss. What the protocol was. But it was as though all of his lessons had been stolen from his head and thrown out, and Tenma felt so small in his arms. At last, after what felt like an eternity but must have only been seconds, Grimmer found his voice, timorous and hushed. "Please, kiss me."

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

PreviousNext