Nice and peaceful, Nabias offers a great place to start your journey or stock up on supplies before heading out to brave the rest of the wilderness out there. They also have Barakka's largest hospital facility to treat all sorts of injuries you could get out there. (+2 Precision)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Town of Nabias

Re: .:Millie's Christmas Event [0 Slots Open!]:.

Postby Kitsumi » 12/09/2015 10:27 PM

Roland seemed to be glued to the spot. He looked up, nearly bending over backwards in his attempt to see all the way to the top of the tree. He let out a low whistle. "That is one enormous tree. We probably won't be getting one that large for your place, eh, Ethan? Ethan?" He turned to find the doctor, but he had vanished. "Dr. Emerson? Where did you go?" He called out a bit louder than he had meant to, cringing as he saw a couple of people turn their attention towards him.

"I'm on the other side of the tree." Ethan's voice was barely audible above the crowd, but Roland was lucky enough to pick up on the noise. "I wanted to see if they kept a uniform pattern of ornaments throughout, or if it was all kind of...random."

[Post 20: Christmas Tree]

like sunlight shining through the leaves
we are beautiful
enlightened
soul

Pen :: Wishlist ::Breeders :: Docs :: Rentals :: Journal
Kitsumi
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Keystones: 7279
Donate

Postby Kitsumi » 12/09/2015 10:50 PM

"I doubt that there was too much strategy behind them," Roland said as he circled the tree to find his companion. "It's far too big of a tree for everything to be planned out like that. I like a Christmas tree better when it's all sort of random anyways. It has more of an artistic flair. Don't you agree?"

For a moment, there was no reply. The doctor was still studying the ornaments. After a moment, he realized that a question had been asked of him. "Hmm? What? Oh, yes, I agree. Too much planning would probably take all of the fun out of it." He tried to stealthily conceal the notepad he had pulled from his pocket. When he noticed Roland looking at it, he flushed slightly. "I was just, er...taking notes. To make sure that I get my Christmas tree right."

[Post 21: Christmas Tree]

we are beautiful
enlightened
soul

Kitsumi
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Kitsumi » 12/10/2015 12:49 PM

Roland threw his head back and laughed. "Ethan, you need to relax more. You're always so worried about getting everything perfect." He settled his arm around the older man's shoulder in a friendly way. "You may have to be precise while fixing up your patients, but you can't let your whole life be like that. A life that's perfect is too boring."

"Boring?" This concept intrigued Ethan. Was this why he had been feeling so unfulfilled in his life lately? Roland was right about one thing at least - he had always worked very hard to make everything perfect. Things as simple as doing his laundry became tasks that took up far too much of his time as he painstakingly refolded the same thing four or five times until it was exactly the way he wanted it. "Do you think my life is boring?"

[Post 22: Christmas Tree]

we are beautiful
enlightened
soul

Kitsumi
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Kitsumi » 12/10/2015 1:05 PM

"Huh?" Roland hadn't expected this question. "Oh, I didn't mean that your life was boring. I just meant that in general, things that were too perfect were boring."

Ethan wasn't letting him get off easy with that answer. "That doesn't exactly answer my question. Besides, my life is too perfect. Or at least, that's how I try to make it. You still haven't told me whether or not you think my life is boring. C'mon, it's not like you're going to offend me or anything."

[Post 23: Christmas Tree]

we are beautiful
enlightened
soul

Kitsumi
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Kitsumi » 12/10/2015 1:08 PM

"I don't know," Roland answered honestly. "I guess I don't really know your life outside of working for my parents very well. I've really only seen you when you were patching someone up. I don't know anything about your hobbies or activities."

The doctor sighed. "That's the problem. I don't really have any hobbies or anything like that. I mean, typically my day consists of working for your father if he needs me, or at the clinic if he doesn't. I work between twelve to sixteen hours every day. After that, I usually just go home, eat, and sleep. If I'm lucky, I'll have the energy to read a book or something."

[Post 24: Christmas Tree]

we are beautiful
enlightened
soul

Kitsumi
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Kitsumi » 12/10/2015 1:37 PM

The prince frowned. "That's...actually pretty sad." He tapped his chin thoughtfully. "Maybe I could talk my father into hiring a second physician. That way you wouldn't need to work for him so often."

"No, that's alright," Ethan said quickly. "Truly, I like working for your family. Truth be told, I've been thinking about quitting the clinic. When I asked your father for permission to seek employment elsewhere while still working for him, I was seeking something to do to fill the idle hours when I wasn't working. Now, I'm wondering if I should have just taken up gardening or something like that."

[Post 25: Christmas Tree]

we are beautiful
enlightened
soul

Kitsumi
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Kitsumi » 12/10/2015 1:42 PM

That was a surprise. "Are you really that unhappy with the job at the clinic?" Roland asked. "I thought you liked it there. You always spoke highly of that job."

"I like it," Ethan said, before sighing. "I'm just tired of not having enough hours in the day. Plus, the patients I see most often are quite - forgive me for saying it - well, unintelligent." He seemed to feel slightly guilty for saying such a thing out loud, but Roland's questioning look pressed him to explain. "You have no idea how many women I see, complaining about weight gain, only to find out they're eating seven meals a day. And practically every man I stitch up has attempted something such as jumping from his roof into a swimming pool, or sledding down the stairs."

[Post 26: Christmas Tree]

we are beautiful
enlightened
soul

Kitsumi
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Kitsumi » 12/10/2015 1:45 PM

Roland snickered. "I guess that was one of the perks of working for a single family. You developed a close relationship to the patients. If they were doing something stupid, you would know them well enough to let them have it."

"Oh, there's no way I would ever let a member of your family, er, 'have it' as you say." Ethan grimaced. "I can just picture how your father would react. Luckily, I've never had to dealt with any stupidity from your family. You are all quite well educated. As you should be, considering your royal status."

[Post 27: Christmas Tree]

we are beautiful
enlightened
soul

Kitsumi
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Kitsumi » 12/10/2015 2:07 PM

His 'royal status' was the one thing that Roland hated the most. He found himself rolling his eyes at the words, but then quickly tried to explain to Ethan. "Sorry, I hope you don't think I'm being rude. I'm just...not as happy about being a royal as my parents would like. It's a lot of pressure. Sometimes I just want to leave and never come back." He sighed heavily, staring at the Christmas tree to avoid meeting Ethan's gaze.

Ethan stared at the younger man. "I realized that you and your father didn't see eye to eye, but I never realized just how bad it was," he said quietly. "Do you really hate being his son so much?"

[Post 28: Christmas Tree]

we are beautiful
enlightened
soul

Kitsumi
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Kitsumi » 12/10/2015 3:16 PM

"I don't hate being his son." It was incredibly difficult for Roland to explain. But he had been the one to bring it up, and so he might as well try to let Ethan know what he meant. "I hate being in the spotlight whenever somebody recognizes me as royalty. I hate that I'm held to higher standards than everybody else, even though I'm simply human, like them." Taking a deep breath, he continued. "And what I hate the most is all of the expectations people have for me. Such as marrying a woman and having an heir."

[Post 29: Christmas Tree]

we are beautiful
enlightened
soul

Kitsumi
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Kitsumi » 12/10/2015 3:28 PM

Ethan studied Roland, too deep in thought to speak for a while. Finally, he licked his lips and broke the silence between them. "I suppose I never thought of the sacrifices you had to make. And it wasn't even as if it was your choice. You haven't been able to find contentment, simply because of your lineage."

When Roland looked back towards Ethan, his eyes were shining with unshed tears. "You get it," he managed to choke out. "You have no idea what that means. I haven't felt able to tell anybody save for Tzofi how I truly feel. I once mentioned, in a half-joking manner, that I wish I weren't a prince to somebody. They practically began foaming at the mouth as they tried to argue how lucky I was!" He wiped at his eyes with his sleeve. "It's actually a relief, to have another person who can understand my perspective."

[Post 30: Christmas Tree]

we are beautiful
enlightened
soul

Kitsumi
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Kitsumi » 12/10/2015 3:40 PM

Moving on impulse, Ethan reached both arms out to encircle the other man. He pulled him close, giving him a comforting hug. He had always felt a deep sense of respect and admiration for Roland and his family. But now, he was beginning to feel more of a kinship with the man.

At first, Roland stiffened slightly at the close contact. He wasn't used to being close to someone in a friendly context. Tzofi was his closest friend, and although it was obvious that she cared deeply for Roland, she tried to keep a professional distance from him most of the time. The only people who had ever really hugged the prince in such a way were lovers, and they had been very few in number.

[Post 31: Christmas Tree]

we are beautiful
enlightened
soul

Kitsumi
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Kitsumi » 12/10/2015 3:44 PM

After a couple of seconds, Roland found himself relaxing in the doctor's arms. There was nothing romantic or suggestive about the embrace. It was simply one friend comforting another. And that was when Roland realized - Ethan really was a friend. He may have been quite a bit older than the prince, but he seemed to understand Roland in a way that few people did.

Stepping back, Ethan smiled at Roland. "I'm glad that you trust me enough to confide in me, Roland. I'm actually very glad that we bumped into each other tonight. I'm beginning to feel as if we could become close friends."

"Yeah," Roland agreed. "I'm starting to think the same thing."

[Post 32: Christmas Tree]

we are beautiful
enlightened
soul

Kitsumi
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Kitsumi » 12/10/2015 4:20 PM

Neither man seemed to know what to say after that. Luckily, a loud grumble soon interrupted the silence between them. The awkwardness vanished as both men laughed. "Was that me?" Roland asked, holding his stomach as it made one more growling noise.

"It could have just as easily been me," Ethan answered. "I'm actually starving. Because I hadn't planned on stopping here, I didn't eat anything beforehand. I hope they have something to eat around here."

Before Roland could respond, a person that had overheard informed both of them that there was a bakery nearby. "Oh, perfect," Roland said, after thanking the person. "Let's go get something to take the edge off of our hunger."

[Post 33: Christmas Tree - moving to Bakery]

we are beautiful
enlightened
soul

Kitsumi
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Kitsumi » 12/10/2015 4:28 PM

"Oh my goodness," Ethan inhaled the scent coming from the bakery as they neared the building. "That smells absolutely heavenly. You may have to hold me back, Roland. I'm in danger of purchasing everything they have."

The younger man shook his head. "No way man, you're on your own. I'm afraid I may just do the same thing." He held the door open to allow the doctor to go ahead of him. There was a line ahead of them, but everyone seemed to be in a cheerful mood. The two men continued their conversation as they waited for their turn to come.

[Post 34: Bakery]

we are beautiful
enlightened
soul

Kitsumi
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate