Nice and peaceful, Nabias offers a great place to start your journey or stock up on supplies before heading out to brave the rest of the wilderness out there. They also have Barakka's largest hospital facility to treat all sorts of injuries you could get out there. (+2 Precision)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Town of Nabias

Watch your tongue! [self]

Postby Rabid » 12/27/2009 4:55 AM

The gentle tinkling of well-used metal chimed as the crow-like creature flitted from roof to roof. It watched intently as the busy people and pets bustled about, making much fuss about this or that. It seemed to be quite busy. Perfect, perfect! No one would care that it was there, no one, no one! It wasn't supposed to allow itself to be seen; that was bad, very bad. At least under particular circumstances. Stripes - the mechanical bird - searched with its glowing green eyes. It was supposed to prove itself with a particular member of their little home. They was bigger than Stripes, and that was all it was told. Of course, it didn't need to be told much; it was given just about all the information it would need thanks to the power of data transfer. There, there it was! The hulking yellow beast was quite prominent in the crowd, mostly because Stripes had auto-targeting on. Cheating, you say? No, no, it was simply using all the resources at its disposal.

It flitted after the beast, watching intently as it waded through the thick crowd. Really, it would be quite maddening for even a creature like itself to try and go through that nonsense. Luckily, it could fly, so it didn't have that problem. Not that anyone would be stupid enough to get in its way. Not after a few "incidents" occurred, at least.

There's reasons for these bags under my eyes.
The effort I don't give except in lies.
Maybe it's the weight of all the promises that I can't keep.
But the universe will not let me sleep.

Lets talk about the time I waste.
All the things I say I'd do but only say.
And nothing was done today.
But I still feel,
I shouldn't be awake.

penwishlistclickablesbreeders
Rabid
Master Explorer
Master Explorer
Pets | Items
Keystones: 188
Donate

Re: Watch your tongue! [self]

Postby Rabid » 12/27/2009 4:59 PM

Hugh was getting quite irked at this point. This wasn't even a very big town, for goodness sake! He let out an irritated puff of air, causing the people in front of him to yelp and glare back at him. Really, these people were so rude! Pushing and shoving, no wonder these creatures got into giant conflicts! He was really wishing the mistress hadn't sent him out here; it was insane! It didn't exactly help that he was constantly looking over his shoulder. He couldn't help but feel as though something was watching him, waiting to strike.

Perhaps you should go somewhere peaceful. A voice invaded his mind, erasing all thoughts that had previously occupied his brain. You could rest, wait out the crowd. Allow yourself to calm down, maybe get a massage from a pretty lady.

What?

Or you could start a riot! Lash out at someone who'll strike back! Make it seem like they were trying to hit someone else! You could have some real fun, you know, with all that bloodshed! Yes, yes, it could be tons of fun, Hugh!

What is wrong with you! I'm not going to do something like that!

That's your decision to make, Hugh! I'm not telling you to do anything; I'm just throwing some options out there, that's all! Hugh really didn't like the sound of this... This thing. It grated on his... Ears? It was mechanical, but it was so organic and... Well, he couldn't think of a word. It seemed to be mocking him, almost.

Who are you? And how do you know my name?

I'm your conscience, Hugh. Then again, maybe I'm just some trickster, trying to get you into trouble. Or maybe I'm neither, maybe I'm both. That's your decision and opinion, Hugh, I have no say in what you choose. Although, might I recommend that you get out of the way, these people don't seem to appreciate you being in their path. You might cause a riot on accident if you stay here, Hughie. The werecain decided to take at least a bit of the bizarre voice's advice and moved out of the way, taking a seat on one of the shockingly-common empty benches scattered about.

But I still feel,
I shouldn't be awake.

Rabid
Master Explorer
Master Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Rabid » 12/27/2009 9:08 PM

Oh yes, the beast was beginning to listen to it! Sure, it was only logical advice, but it was a step in the right direction. Indeed, what the master had said was true; this could be tons of fun! For now, build up trust. It took a moment to process as Hugh took a seat on the bench.

You're a wily one, stranger. What are you, man or beast? Oh, so he thought it was his turn to ask questions? No no, it was never this one's turn to ask anything. Only the voices were allowed to ask, not those who listen. This one would have to learn, be it the easy or hard way.

Mayhaps I'm man, maybe beast, or possibly, neither or both. What do you think, golden-fur?

Will you just tell me? I'm getting sick of these mind games!

I'm afraid I can't do that, Hugh, for that is not how the game is played!

What game, you nut job?

What game, indeed! Chess, dominoes, croquet? I haven't a clue, perhaps you do?

Give me a straight answer! The opposing voice growled.

A straight answer to your last question? Why, certainly! I play in the master's game, you play in the game of life. I suppose they might be the same, perhaps they aren't. None can say for sure. What do you think?

I think you're crazy. Ah, yes! The mental sigh of defeat! Good, good! Soon, he would be like putty in the corbine's wings!

Many would call that a correct assumption, I say it's more of an opinion. Of course, we're all mad there, aren't we?

Who all's mad where?

Where indeed, Hugh! Why, we're all mad, everywhere! You, me, the people bustling about on that street. All madder than a boar, I should think. It flitted closer to its prey, sitting majestically upon the edge of an overhang. His neck clicked with every random twitch of his head, a spark accompanying the sound. Mad, indeed!

1/47

But I still feel,
I shouldn't be awake.

Rabid
Master Explorer
Master Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Rabid » 12/27/2009 9:29 PM

Hugh shook his head. This just couldn't be happening. He wasn't crazy like the rest of them; he refused to fall to their level! He wouldn't lose his mind, never! He practically flew out of the chair from the force used to push himself out of it. He heard cawing that almost sounded like... Laughter? No, no, it was simply a coincidence! He growled and left with long, purposeful strides, eager to get away. He worried about the constant clicking that he heard, knowing that his claws made an entirely different sound. Not to mention, he shouldn't be able to hear something so constant in this huge crowd.

It's no use, He nearly froze at the sound. You're a part of the game, now. There's no escape. A piece cannot move without the assistance of a hand. Which do you think you are, Hugh? The game piece, or the mighty hand? He wanted to weep. This wasn't possible! He never joined any stupid games! He wasn't some silly piece of rock or plastic... Was he?

Well, Hugh? Which are you? Are you a pawn? Yes, you're a pawn. I sense your doubt; no hand feels doubt. It simply does what it's told, without hesitation; it feels nothing but confidence. A pawn, however, is insecure. It doesn't trust the hand. The hand could be a great, blumbering fool for all it knows. The hand could get the pawn killed. But the pawn doesn't have a choice, Hugh. The pawn must do as it is told, or it will surely be crushed. This wasn't happening.

2/47

But I still feel,
I shouldn't be awake.

Rabid
Master Explorer
Master Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Rabid » 12/29/2009 1:26 AM

The corbine let out a burst of cawing laughter as the werecain started. Stripes had landed upon his shoulder, snapping his beak twice for no particular reason. It nearly laughed more as Hugh snarled at it, ready to dodge if he decided to take a snap.

Do I look like some sort of statue, bird? He growled. Stripes let out another burst of laughter.

Is that any way to talk to a stranger, Hugh? It held back a grin as the werecain blanched. I thought not! Now, go on Hugh. You don't want to get in the way of all these nice people, do you? He growled at the bird, but obeyed. He headed for the shop to his right, which had been his destination in the first place. He picked up what he needed then headed back out. He then proceeded to head back home, wanting to end this nightmare.

You can try, Hugh, but this is no nightmare. This is life, and it only ends badly. Hugh let out a dejected sigh.

What do you want from me?

Let's go home, Hugh. We can talk there. With another sigh, he headed on his way.

3/47

{Muse fail}

But I still feel,
I shouldn't be awake.

Rabid
Master Explorer
Master Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate